Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dammit, the worst thing about playing super obscure old games is that there's absolutely no information on the Internet about them. Stuck on a level of a Game Boy Color puzzle game that was released in Japan only? There's not even video walkthroughs on Niconico! One two minute video of someone not even able to figure out the easy stages is all that's out there and all of the other information is "a game that exists".

It's lonely having your hobby be really weird old games...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Dammit, the worst thing about playing super obscure old games is that there's absolutely no information on the Internet about them. Stuck on a level of a Game Boy Color puzzle game that was released in Japan only? There's not even video walkthroughs on Niconico! One two minute video of someone not even able to figure out the easy stages is all that's out there and all of the other information is "a game that exists".

It's lonely having your hobby be really weird old games...

Is it money idol exchanger?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I’m lookking around for a guide to clean a nES, plus the pin connector. I found one guy who said to use rubbing alcohol and 600 grit sandpaper. Is he loving with me or is that how you actually are suppose to clean the pins? How do you all normally do it?

Also holy poo poo. Retro Youtubers, if your making how to guides on repairs and stuff then get on with it. I don’t need to see you skit or you go on for five minuets about how the last NES you bough had a crowded motherboard and bricked.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Options including boiling the pin connector, using a credit card wrapped in cloth soaked in alcohol and barkeeper's friend are all more appealing to me than straight up 600grit sandpaper.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

BigRed0427 posted:

So I’m lookking around for a guide to clean a nES, plus the pin connector. I found one guy who said to use rubbing alcohol and 600 grit sandpaper. Is he loving with me or is that how you actually are suppose to clean the pins? How do you all normally do it?

It sounds pretty logical. You want to use isopropyl alcohol (with at least a 91% concentration), because water can be conductive and promote rust, and other cleaners and solvents may be too harsh. The sandpaper is a new one to me, but it makes sense from the perspective of wanting to remove oxidation from the pins, along with the likely built-up melange of spittle, dust, skin oil, smoke, and god knows what else that's accumulated inside the console's parts over the years.

The same would also apply for the edge connectors of cartridges, but you definitely want to be more careful when you're scrubbing the contacts on those. The last thing you probably want to happen is to rub away the plating or create breaks in it. I've also heard good things about using "Bartender's Friend", Brasso, or something like that to scrub the contacts.

Another option for cleaning something like a cartridge slot is to get a junky but clean T-shirt or a piece of fabric that mimics such, wrap it taut around something thin, hard, and rectangular (like an old credit card or some plastic card like it), and then douse it all in isopropyl alcohol. You would then be able to slip the shirt-wrapped card into the cartridge slot and give both sides a good and vigorous scrubbing.

EDIT: Beaten by Caitlin on the case...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Will the snes FPGA be able to play Hong Kong 97?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Is it money idol exchanger?

Money Idol Exchanger isn't obscure! People are actually aware of its existence!

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

BigRed0427 posted:

:stonk:

95% of the time, alcohol + cloth over a credit card and a toothbrush is enough to clean a console's cart connector. For game cart pins I'll sometimes use a pencil eraser + alcohol/Brasso if there's a lot of grime, but never anything abrasive like sandpaper.

If the NES connector is corroded enough that you need to use sandpaper/boiling, you might want to just pick up a refurbished OEM 72-pin connector from this seller (these are original NES parts, not aftermarket ones): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-OE...353.m1438.l2649

Or spend a bit more for a much more reliable cart connector so you don't have to fix it again in a few months/years: https://www.arcadeworks.net/blw

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 16, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Thankyou!

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

Also holy poo poo. Retro Youtubers, if your making how to guides on repairs and stuff then get on with it. I don’t need to see you skit or you go on for five minuets about how the last NES you bough had a crowded motherboard and bricked.

I've just been going straight to the blinking light win lately. It's definitely worth the cost. Though, You can boil em for sure and that should help as long as any pins aren't bent.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

that reminds me, can we talk about how the first metal slug is actually the best one because it's completely free of unfun mummy/zombie/fat/etc gimmicks. like yeah some of the other ones might be a tiny bit prettier or something but none actually feel as fun as the pure run and gun action of the first, it feels way better choreographed or whatever

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

d0s posted:

that reminds me, can we talk about how the first metal slug is actually the best one because it's completely free of unfun mummy/zombie/fat/etc gimmicks. like yeah some of the other ones might be a tiny bit prettier or something but none actually feel as fun as the pure run and gun action of the first, it feels way better choreographed or whatever

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have so much trouble on that zombie level for some reason. You have to abuse the mechanic of the free hit, but I dunno, it's ultimately not AS fun. I'm like splitting hairs here.

Well, the barf is stupid powerful, at least.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I bent the pins back for a tighter connection, then used the card/iso/shirt cleaning method and it works perfect.

Plus, doesn't using the BLW mean you don't press the cartridge down? Now that's all kinds of wrong, I don't even know where to begin.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Laslow posted:

I bent the pins back for a tighter connection, then used the card/iso/shirt cleaning method and it works perfect.

Plus, doesn't using the BLW mean you don't press the cartridge down? Now that's all kinds of wrong, I don't even know where to begin.

Yeah, no pressing it down. I can see how that might kill the whole thing for you, but it also removes the entire problem of what causes the connector to not work.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Kazvall posted:

Yeah, no pressing it down. I can see how that might kill the whole thing for you, but it also removes the entire problem of what causes the connector to not work.
I was only less than half serious there.

Sure, not having it work exactly as I would expect after 30 years would bother me slightly, but much less than it not working at all. I just saw that in the BLW specs and thought "drat, that would probably bother me way more than it should".

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Sir Tonk posted:

The prices just keep going up on stuff, but that can't continue forever.

All the people nostalgic for the SNES will stop wanting games eventually and the next generation won't give a gently caress.

Way late to this discussion, but I think the settling out of prices has already happened for the Atari 2600. I don't know if the NES has stabilized yet, as I've noticed prices falling some on eBay for the popular rare game that I watch (Gun-Nac loose is now closer to 200 than 300) or if it means everyone has wised up to flash carts and emulators. Or maybe it's the aforementioned collectors cashing out causing a temporary dip: it would explain how Namco Museum vol 5 on PS1 also has come down to almost reasonable prices.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

but I think the settling out of prices has already happened for the Atari 2600.

because people have realized it has very few games that are any fun at all, there's not the truly wide appeal of the stuff that came out after

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Walked into my office this morning and heard a distinct hum that usually goes hand-in-hand with malfunctioning electronics. Like a buzz when an appliance has been left on, that sort of thing.

The culprit? My Atari 5200 power supply has apparently committed seppuku.

I'm not *hurting* for a replacement power supply (it's the 5200, and I'm not desperate to play it), but it sure would be nice if they didn't cost $20+shipping in online markets.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Speaking of wanting a better thing in the future, I was considering going to buy actual copies of PS1 games ever since I secured a copy of both Persona 2 and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (both not here yet, cross country mailing and all), along with Deception 1 and Metal Slug X.

I do remember a BnM near me that has like a good amount but I take it $35-$45 for them is an offer best saved for multi-disc games? I dunno, I just remember them charging what I thought was a lot for me at the time.

Plus I don't think they got any imported stuff soooo... :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turbinosamente posted:

Way late to this discussion, but I think the settling out of prices has already happened for the Atari 2600. I don't know if the NES has stabilized yet, as I've noticed prices falling some on eBay for the popular rare game that I watch (Gun-Nac loose is now closer to 200 than 300) or if it means everyone has wised up to flash carts and emulators. Or maybe it's the aforementioned collectors cashing out causing a temporary dip: it would explain how Namco Museum vol 5 on PS1 also has come down to almost reasonable prices.

Like honestly prices for most Atari 2600 games have barely seemed to budge for a good 15 years now. Probably even longer than that, but it's not nearly as convenient to peace together prices from weird dead bulletin boards and usenet and Funcolands.

Like today you can buy about 50 non-duplicate Atari 2600 carts (with probably a random colecovision or intellivision or 7800 cart tossed in) for about $50, so a buck a cartridge. If you want big packs that have some of the slightly less common carts in then like, just recently I saw an auction for 100 carts go for around $250, so that's still averaging out to like $2.50 a cartridge or like $1 a cart for the common ones and a princely $8 a cart across the "rares". But also you could get about the same deals 10 years ago, hell I bought one of those 100 cart deals at a slightly lower price to start my 2600 collection, or you could have gotten them in like 2000.

If anything Atari 2600 games besides the few really rare titles in complete packaging have all gotten cheaper, because of inflation over 15 years.

d0s posted:

because people have realized it has very few games that are any fun at all, there's not the truly wide appeal of the stuff that came out after

There are tons of Atari 2600 games that are fun, it's that 99% of those are fun for about 5 minutes and then you don't really want to touch that same game again for a couple months.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

You're great

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
These POW pantsu have a very pungent aroma, I think i might wash them prior to use.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

These POW pantsu have a very pungent aroma, I think i might wash them prior to use.

Well duh. They probably came out of one of those vending machines.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLskE0UDa-A

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

So is literally boiling a NES pinset a actual good idea? It sounds like I need to then bend the pins back up afterwards, I'm bending just the set the cart goes into. Correct?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

I love seeing game merchandise I never knew existed.

https://twitter.com/JohnAndersen21/status/919967087115886592?s=09

d0s posted:

The best Metal Slug is the GBC version.

https://youtu.be/duXk-vhjgOs

But yeah, Metal Slug 3 is the best. Metal Slug never had the tight control of a good action-shooter, so the extra routes, vehicles, weapons, and gimmicks of MS3 really helped.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Shadow... SHIRT? Am... I... a shirt... TOO!?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

BigRed0427 posted:

So is literally boiling a NES pinset a actual good idea? It sounds like I need to then bend the pins back up afterwards, I'm bending just the set the cart goes into. Correct?

The boiling of the connector causes the pins to bend back to their original position.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

The boiling of the connector causes the pins to bend back to their original position.

Ok. So just in water on high for 30 minuets?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok. So just in water on high for 30 minuets?

Optionally add in some baking soda as well.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/leonkiriliuk/status/919049605895147521

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what the literal gently caress

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I was thinking that by now the 2600 collectors have probably gotten all the games they want or bailed to a harmony cart long ago. And I must be looking at the wrong lots/listings, I usually find that the desirable 2600 carts range from $10 to $20. I was stoked two months ago to find a loose Laser Gates for $7.

As a side note 90% of all Atari 2600 games fall into one or more of the following three categories:

1. shoot things for high score

2. dodge things for high score

3. collect things for high score

The trick is to find which combinations and variations of the above categories you like playing for five minutes before popping in the next cart.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

I've never boiled them personally. Retrofixes has a little article on it and I tend to trust them. I would only bend the bins if after boiling it doesn't work.

http://www.retrofixes.com/2015/09/boil-vs-bending-will-boiling-nes-72pin.html

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

Metal Slug never had the tight control of a good action-shooter

weird, I never had a problem with this, I'm able to accurately jump around an kill stuff without feeling frustrated by the controls. are you playing the real hardware or some weird port with input lag maybe?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Does anyone make premade shells to stick over a consolized MVS?

Also, sorry in advance. I haven't posted in this thread for a couple years so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Kazvall posted:

Does anyone make premade shells to stick over a consolized MVS?

Also, sorry in advance. I haven't posted in this thread for a couple years so I've got a lot of catching up to do.

like this? http://lions3.com/product-category/arcade-related/lasercut-acrylic/

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turbinosamente posted:

I was thinking that by now the 2600 collectors have probably gotten all the games they want or bailed to a harmony cart long ago. And I must be looking at the wrong lots/listings, I usually find that the desirable 2600 carts range from $10 to $20. I was stoked two months ago to find a loose Laser Gates for $7.

As a side note 90% of all Atari 2600 games fall into one or more of the following three categories:

1. shoot things for high score

2. dodge things for high score

3. collect things for high score

The trick is to find which combinations and variations of the above categories you like playing for five minutes before popping in the next cart.

Well the thing is whenever someone's only selling one item they kinda feel the need to bump up the prices a little bit. Of course, it's not like you can buy multiple big lots of carts for the cheaper "rare" carts, and just effectively ending up with a ton of duplicates, it's a tradeoff. If you buy a few lots you effectively start paying a lot more for the few carts you actually want out of each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Buying lots wouldn't be so bad if you could resell the duplicates but 2600 poo poo doesn't move even in game stores. Hell, I'm not even sure it'd be worth sending them to Atari Age to get some money off a homebrew.