Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

enojy posted:

If you're a masochist playing Picross S with no assists, do know that you don't get jack poo poo from it besides a borderline hair-pulling challenge in the last few pages of puzzles. The very last one's a gimme, but the 10 or so leading up to it are pretty brutal.

i thought the last page was actually easier than the one before it, but maybe thats because i had by that point internalized all the tricks you need to use to solve them

e; also that corner trick someone posted in here awhile back did become necessary for a few of the late ones, so thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Regarding Doom: I bought it a while back on a different console and playing it with a controller was terribly frustrating. Especially in rooms with lots of imps. loving imps.

When I got it again on PC, mouse+keyboard was a much smoother experience.

If it doesn't have motion controls on the Switch, then ehhhhhh I'm good thanks.

YMMV of course.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I found it's controls on console to be very good. Better than most fps.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I played Doom and Doom 2 without mouse look, I will play new Doom with a controller and kick rear end. Believe it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
If you're a strict M&K only guy then yeah don't buy console FPSes. If you can play FPS on a controller you will have no problems with DOOM it plays fine.

GreenNight posted:

Never heard of this game, Elliots Quest:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1448684

Looks pretty drat good.

I had this on WiiU!

It's basically halfway between Zelda II and a Metroid style exploration platformer. It's pretty difficult, but with modern checkpointing. There is very little sign posting, I spent a lot of my playtime completely lost, and with no idea where I had to go next. Had to use a guide a couple of times. It feels very old-school in that respect.

I also fell prey to a game-ending bug that saw me permanently trapped in a graveyard. I believe it was patched eventually, but I never went back to it.

This probably sounds pretty negative so far, but I did actually enjoy this game a fair bit. Just, you know, wait for the inevitable bugfix patch before you buy it maybe.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Literally the only problem with DOOM is that the campaign starts to feel monotonous in the last few hours because they've run out of new things to introduce, so they just keep throwing the same enemies at you in new environments. Otherwise it's a perfect singleplayer FPS, and I'm very happy that it's being ported to a perfect console.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How do I change the device ID my switch shows on a network? Is it the console nickname?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hell was very underwhelming visually

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

That too, I was always happy to head back to Mars

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

acksplode posted:

Literally the only problem with DOOM is that the campaign starts to feel monotonous in the last few hours because they've run out of new things to introduce, so they just keep throwing the same enemies at you in new environments. Otherwise it's a perfect singleplayer FPS, and I'm very happy that it's being ported to a perfect console.

I mean, isn't that exactly how original DOOM was?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Is preordering and preloading offered for the e-shop? I'm excited about Fire Emblem Warriors this Friday and I really want to be preloading it.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Takoluka posted:

I mean, isn't that exactly how original DOOM was?

Maybe? I'm not sure what point you're making?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

i liked hell; they just cribbed a bunch of megadeth and iron maiden album art and turned it into a videogame world.

also agree that doom got a bit repetitive and boring by the end but at that point i was jacked to the tits on adrenaline and basically had enough weapons to crush god so i don't really care. great game.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mirage posted:

Regarding Doom: I bought it a while back on a different console and playing it with a controller was terribly frustrating. Especially in rooms with lots of imps. loving imps.

When I got it again on PC, mouse+keyboard was a much smoother experience.

If it doesn't have motion controls on the Switch, then ehhhhhh I'm good thanks.

YMMV of course.

I played it on PC with an xbone controller and it was totally fine. Although thanks to Splatoon 2 I'm spoiled on other shooters because tilting the controller doesn't do anything. Motion control should become a controller standard and should be in every shooter imo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

raditts posted:

I played it on PC with an xbone controller and it was totally fine. Although thanks to Splatoon 2 I'm spoiled on other shooters because tilting the controller doesn't do anything. Motion control should become a controller standard and should be in every shooter imo.
I have always hated motion controls and it drove me nuts when Splatoon 1 and 2 both forced you to use them during the tutorial part. How do you deal with constantly having to reset the view because facing forward now corresponds to the controller facing down and sideways? It happened every few seconds for me in both 1 and 2.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

I have always hated motion controls and it drove me nuts when Splatoon 1 and 2 both forced you to use them during the tutorial part. How do you deal with constantly having to reset the view because facing forward now corresponds to the controller facing down and sideways? It happened every few seconds for me in both 1 and 2.

I got used to it with practice, and now I wish every game had it. Eventually you get a feel for a comfortable neutral position that won't require you to reset your view very often. I usually only reset view when I respawn. Increasing sensitivity as you get more comfortable with it also helps, you'll need to move less and reset less often.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They should call it the Nintendo Bitch cause I want to bitch about the fact there are already too many games for it

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
drat Zelda is such a 10/10.

I’m loving this game so much.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Infinitum posted:

They should call it the Nintendo Bitch cause I want to bitch about the fact there are already too many games for it

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Infinitum posted:

ps3's first few years: "this console has no games!"
switch's first half a year: "this console has too many games!"

fuckin' gamers

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Rolo posted:

it'll be remember as a solid 8/10 i think

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
for what it's worth i thought zelda was dumb and lame for a long time, stuck in a rut while other fantasty games actually Tried

but man ALBW was good and so is BotW, they deserve to be remembered fondly compared to the vast majority of the zelda series (i also liked the game boy ones, 2 of which weren't even developed by Nintendo themselves)

8/10 to 9/10 is my guess. Good job, nintendo

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I played a decent amount of BotW on Wii U before buying a Switch this weekend and starting over. It's still a 10/10 in my mind, it just does so many things perfectly and really fosters a sense of exploration that a lot of RPGs are missing.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Bad posters coming out of the woodwork to insult the GOAT :mediocre:

botw is 11/10 fellers

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Is GOTY going to be Odyssey or Breath

Makes

u

thunk

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Rolo posted:

if this doesn't win game of the year, i'll be surprised - but it's also a testament to 2017, the lord's year of Good Games

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
both

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
i love how you get a single quest as soon as the game takes off: Defeat Ganon

it kinda circumvents the notion of janky and inconsistent main story quest chains in open world games, even if the game does actually have other side quests

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Infinitum posted:

I agree, Nintendo should be considerate and delay FE Warriors, Odyssey, and Xenoblade 2 until next year.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Infinitum posted:

Is GOTY going to be Odyssey or Breath

Makes

u

thunk

or ARMS. Man I love me some ARMS

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have a feeling like ARMS 2 is going to be really excellent.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

if this doesn't win game of the year, i'll be surprised - but it's also a testament to 2017, the lord's year of Good Games

Nier: Automata, Persona 5, Horizon, Hellblade. Odyssey coming soon. Real good competition for GOTY. BotW is amazing yet probably just my #4 game on the year.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

but what about

g
o
l
f

s
t
o
r
y

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Bongo Bill posted:

I have a feeling like ARMS 2 is going to be really excellent.

Have I got some bad news for you friend.

alf_pogs posted:

but what about

g
o
l
f

s
t
o
r
y

GOTY confirmed

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zerilan posted:

Nier: Automata, Persona 5, Horizon, Hellblade. Odyssey coming soon. Real good competition for GOTY. BotW is amazing yet probably just my #4 game on the year.

Automata is great but not goty great, Persona 5 I never played so no opinion BoTW did everything Horizon tried to do but way better except for 4k, Hellblade looked incredibly dull and boring I will fight you.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Player Unknown is going to be the winner of awards.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s really nuts that we got both a mainline Zelda and Mario in the same year. Even more crazy that Mario will probably be 10/10 material just like Zelda. Nintendo owns.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Wendell posted:

Player Unknown is going to be the winner of awards.

Can't wait for the broken ugly early access game where sometimes the buildings won't even load to win best multiplayer game of the year

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Popete posted:

I played a decent amount of BotW on Wii U before buying a Switch this weekend and starting over. It's still a 10/10 in my mind, it just does so many things perfectly and really fosters a sense of exploration that a lot of RPGs are missing.

:same:

I had pretty much done all you could do on the Wii U version. I sold the console to buy a Switch though before the DLC came out. I was not looking forward to starting over from scratch, but once I got going I got sucked in again and am having just as much fun as before doing it all over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Automata is great but not goty great, Persona 5 I never played so no opinion BoTW did everything Horizon tried to do but way better except for 4k, Hellblade looked incredibly dull and boring I will fight you.

Nier, Persona 5, and Hellblade are the 3 I liked more than BotW. RE7 was close too.

• Locked thread