Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The disease thing was first brought up in Enterprise, the 90-years-earlier than Discovery prequel. In the same set of episodes, the origin of the disease was also revealed. It is implied that somewhere between TOS and TNG they found a way to fix it and return back to their original look. Also, some Klingons were probably unaffected.

There were no cases of Klingons looking like weird-as-gently caress hybrids though. They either had flat faces or were full on Worf. Like so many things, their design in ST:DISCO doesn't fit in the storyline whatsoever.

It's almost as if their genetic fuckery to fix the plague accidentally turned them all into the Klingon equivalent of Homo Habilis, but I know that's putting more thought into the redesign than the production team. The real answer is that they wanted to redesign the Klingons and they did.

I wish they'd just come out and say "Yeah, this is all a redesign" instead of skirting around it with the "All the design changes fit into canon and will make sense eventually!" line they've been trotting out in interviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008
I know they've been saying Discovery fits in the 'prime timeline', but honestly, I've been thinking of it as a reboot, and unless there's some clever explanations coming down the line - which is certainly possible - I'm content to think of it in those terms.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

They should have just put it in the movie timeline. It lets them do whatever they want and normies don't care about the legacy stuff.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Michael launching the nipple bug into space reminded me of a child attaching a small animal to a helium balloon thinking it'll have adventures in the sky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6jMRfv154s

:same:

https://i.imgur.com/tUHzkJK.gifv

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Another John Eaves masterpiece

I thought these were two different ships: the D7 that captured them, and the "prison ship" that they escaped.

To me, this looks like the bottom of the nose of the D7. I know I'm stretching because I want D7s in this show, but I do see it. It looks like it bulges out a bit like the front of the D7.

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 16, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I noticed in this episode that they’ve basically got Doug Jones walking on tiptoes all the time, which is how he absolutely towers over everyone else. When he’s in the spore chamber at the end with Stamets, you can see his weird shoes.

Also, I love Wilson Cruz, but he is pretty bad in this. He seems to have a lot of trouble with his more technical lines. Hopefully he gets more into the swing of it all.

So, is Stamets’ bit at the end in the mirror a hint for the... upcoming Mirror? Or is he becoming unstuck in time because of his access to the spore network now?

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 16, 2017

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

fadam posted:

They should have just put it in the movie timeline. It lets them do whatever they want and normies don't care about the legacy stuff.

From what I understand, they can't due to Paramount having the movie rights, and CBS the TV rights, unless something's changed since last I heard about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

fadam posted:

normies

Don't do that unless you want everyone to think of you as incel level cringeworthy.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Don't do that unless you want everyone to think of you as incel level cringeworthy.

The correct term is "straights."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Anyone else think that this episode basically telegraphed that Saru will have to make a similar move against Lorca as Michael did in the first episode?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when Klingons had personality and weren't monster mash

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Phi230 posted:

They were still monster mash, they just had a laugh sometimes too.

I can totally see them undergoing a massive cultural and personality change after the war and after becoming more integrated in Starfleet, even over the course of a few decades. Look at the Axis powers in WW2!

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

:ironicat:

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Wee Bairns posted:

Gotta say, Rainn Wilson absolutely nailed it as Harry Mudd. I wasn't sure what to expect when the initial casting info was released, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

He did and this really emphasized how badly this show needs some additional characters and needs some B Plots where we can see people interact and develop apart from the primary story arc.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Phi230 posted:

I miss TNG/DS9 Klingons. They can write poetry, and sing, and drink, and share personal stories; but only as long as they attack someone between each of those activities. Klingons rule.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You know who I miss? Chancellor “Glory to you...and your ho-o-o-o-o-ouse!” Gowron.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wasn't it proven that tardigrades don't actually have horizontal gene transfer?

funkymonks posted:

He did and this really emphasized how badly this show needs some additional characters and needs some B Plots where we can see people interact and develop apart from the primary story arc.

This show definitely needs some normal B plots. The main arc is nice and all, but people still have lives and we should see them when they aren't in full on danger quick mode

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The more I think about it, the more it seems like Lorca is going to be the spy. We’ve seen how sensitive to light he is and after direct exposure to those four lights he comes back like nothin happened. The way the camera lingered on his eye injector in the shuttle after his abduction makes me think like it’ll be part of the reveal. Maybe one of the medical officers will comment that he hasn’t been in to refill his prescription, or they’ll give it to him and he won’t know what to do with it. The real Lorca may end up losing his eyes in the process and getting artificial ones making him hate the Klingons even more and he’ll completely abandon any sense of ethics in his quest to win the war.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

bull3964 posted:

Anyone else think that this episode basically telegraphed that Saru will have to make a similar move against Lorca as Michael did in the first episode?
I think we are gradually building to some kind of mutiny down the line. There is a ton of continued tension over the ship's purpose.

Did anyone catch the name of the android officer in this episode? I think Saru says a name when he is talking to her.

I also realized that they still haven't mentioned what the deal with the security officers with the black Starfleet deltas on their uniforms are about. Although I suppose it's probably moot since I assume they were likely guarding the spore drive.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

Did anyone catch the name of the android officer in this episode? I think Saru says a name when he is talking to her.

Airiam.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mental Hospitality posted:

Also the 'most bestest starfleet captains ever' list. Jonathan loving Archer, really? Way to set the bar low.

I mean, he was largely responsible for the creation of the Federation. Kind of a big deal.

Mr. Apollo posted:

The more I think about it, the more it seems like Lorca is going to be the spy. We’ve seen how sensitive to light he is and after direct exposure to those four lights he comes back like nothin happened. The way the camera lingered on his eye injector in the shuttle after his abduction makes me think like it’ll be part of the reveal. Maybe one of the medical officers will comment that he hasn’t been in to refill his prescription, or they’ll give it to him and he won’t know what to do with it. The real Lorca may end up losing his eyes in the process and getting artificial ones making him hate the Klingons even more and he’ll completely abandon any sense of ethics in his quest to win the war.

It just seems needlessly elaborate compared with the New Guy No One Knows being a spy. They aren't Romulans, they'd go with the simpler and more effective plot.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

It just seems needlessly elaborate compared with the New Guy No One Knows being a spy. They aren't Romulans, they'd go with the simpler and more effective plot.

Lorca’s a klingon, Tyler’s a romulan. There you go.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Phylodox posted:

Lorca’s a klingon, Tyler’s a romulan. There you go.

:gowron:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Human Crouton posted:

I miss TNG/DS9 Klingons. They can write poetry, and sing, and drink, and share personal stories; but only as long as they attack someone between each of those activities. Klingons rule.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cojawfee posted:

Reposting from The Orville thread:

A year or two ago a scientific paper came out describing an unprecedented amount of horizontal gene transfer (genes being taken from one organism into the genome of an unrelated organism) in tardigrades, something like 50% of tardigrade genes seemed to have originated from horizontal transfer. Unfortunately another paper soon followed showing that the first paper's results were due to contaminated genome sequencing.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Why do we think there is a spy?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I'm more curious where a tardigrade in stasis would get that 99% of its body water back in the vacuum of space.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RC Cola posted:

Why do we think there is a spy?

Because Voq was suspiciously absent and told last episode that he would have to sacrifice a lot.

Count me in as one who thinks it's Lorca as I said a few pages ago. If it isn't Lorca, there were so many loving plot holes in this episode you couldn't navigate them without a tardigrade.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 17, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McSpanky posted:

I'm more curious where a tardigrade in stasis would get that 99% of its body water back in the vacuum of space.

Through the mycelium conduits. Duh-doy.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

XboxPants posted:

Oh that's actually pretty good.

They perhaps should have shown an actual visual of fungal roots - mycelium - instead of just vaguely mentioning it like one time.

Something went right with this latest episode.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, it seems like they explained that the mycelium exist in subspace. I guess the tardigrade is able to pull a small segment into real space and then ride along them.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It would be funny if Starfleet is so inundated with spies from so many other powers that they all counteract each other and end up strengthening Starfleet with their perfect performance.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

It would be funny if Starfleet is so inundated with spies from so many other powers that they all counteract each other and end up strengthening Starfleet with their perfect performance.

I hope Starfleet command is nothing but Klingon spies from different houses who have no idea about each other.

"It is now time for me to reveal myself. I am a Klingon spy from house Kor, I am here to destroy all of you."

"Whoa, wait what? I'm a Klingon spy from house Mo'Kai."

"What the gently caress? *winks at camera* I'm from house Noggra. Are we all Klingons?"

"Uhhhh, yeah, totally. I'm from house uh kluuk ... qlaq. We're new, definitely a Klingon."

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A thought just occurred to me... why was it necessary for Stamets to don the nipple clamps himself for that last mushroom jump? All they needed was to get the hell away from the Klingons, not necessarily to go to any particular destination, right? Well, their old pre-tardigrade setup could do that just fine. (Granted, they almost fell into a star the last time they used it, but that seems like just bad luck.) Why wouldn't they just mushroom-jump at random to escape the emergency, and then go home using their old-fashioned horse-drawn warp drive, with all the time in the world to fix the water bear along the way?

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
Saru being captain was tons better than shoot-to-kill and consequences-are-for-lesser-men Lorca. Saru makes quick but insightful and logical calculations, actually feels emotions like fear and compassion but can overcome fear and put aside compassion for the good of the mission and accept the consequences later.

Also I almost forgot Micheal Burnham existed after watching this episode, as she basically said, she has no role to play on the ship, atleast not until Saru takes command permanently.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Even TOS Klingons had their moments of fun. Kor musing that war with the Federation 'would have been glorious!', Koloth's crew getting drunk and starting bar brawls... I can't imagine these Klingons ever getting moments of personality like that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Powered Descent posted:

A thought just occurred to me... why was it necessary for Stamets to don the nipple clamps himself for that last mushroom jump? All they needed was to get the hell away from the Klingons, not necessarily to go to any particular destination, right? Well, their old pre-tardigrade setup could do that just fine. (Granted, they almost fell into a star the last time they used it, but that seems like just bad luck.) Why wouldn't they just mushroom-jump at random to escape the emergency, and then go home using their old-fashioned horse-drawn warp drive, with all the time in the world to fix the water bear along the way?
I'm wondering if maybe that process takes too long or something. It was not really explained. But I could see him not having time to calculate a jump since they were under attack by Klingons.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
It would be funny if the klingon lady that Clem Fandango was banging ends up chasing the discovery around bent on revenge, like Carrie Fisher in the Blues Brothers

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Another thing pointing to Lorca: in the space fighter escape sequence he tells Ash to raise shields, then says "it's that button on the right", how would Lorca know the UI of the klingon fighters? I guess they could have captured some in the last few months and given him piloting lessons...

It being Lorca doesn't really seem plausible as he keeps his consistent Lorca attitude the whole time after abduction etc.

It all hinges on how much credit we're giving the writers :p

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Powered Descent posted:

Because this tv shows like things like drama instead of beep boop logic