Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Wow.

My uncle flew in the Navy version of those, so I guess that's one more reason why I need to make a pilgrimage to Pima at some point. If only it wasn't so loving far away from anything else. Maybe I can finagle my way onto a boneyard delivery to Davis Monthan...

There's also one at the Yanks Air Museum in Chino, California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

StandardVC10 posted:

And the AF Museum in Dayton, of course. Is there any difference between the AF and Navy versions other than the paint?

I like Super Connies even if I don't think they're the most beautiful airplane ever made or whatever, but the EC-121 is not exactly the biggest looker in that family...

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

StandardVC10 posted:

And Peterson AFB, CO

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

e.pilot posted:

And Peterson AFB, CO

I really need to go and check this out. I'm literally 3 miles away.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Kebbins posted:

I'm more interested in their custom inside-out hangar.

Desert civilization is weird, man.

Like seriously I wanna know how they cantilevered that canopy.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Wow.

My uncle flew in the Navy version of those, so I guess that's one more reason why I need to make a pilgrimage to Pima at some point. If only it wasn't so loving far away from anything else. Maybe I can finagle my way onto a boneyard delivery to Davis Monthan...

There is also the Titan Missile Museum not too far away from there too. titanmissilemuseum.org

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Kebbins posted:

Stopped by the Boeing company store after my job interview last week. I picked up what I thought was the cleverest thing they had.

Wrong. The cleverest thing they have is a gift store in every facility full of all the stuff that every aircraft nerd who comes through their doors will happily blow their per diem on. And a Tully's on payroll deduction. The training department has probably sold at least one 787 worth of tat to airline staff alone.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
There’s also an EC-121 at the museum next to Heartland Park race track in Kansas.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Finger Prince posted:

And a Tully's on payroll deduction.

:stare: haha seriously?

Also it kinda bugs me that the Boeing lettering isn't vertical when upright / oriented with the mug being sideways

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Kafouille posted:

It's been done as far back as the 50's, you don't need electronics for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiller_VZ-1_Pawnee

Interesting. But what's the application for at one-man EZ helicopter type deal? It has a lot of limitations apparent right off the bat, and I can't see a single thing it could accomplish that a helicopter or a drone couldn't do better.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Out of loving nowhere. To make it more interesting airbus wants a second production line for them in Alabama.

The plan is to build a second assembly line for them in Mobile, alongside the A320 line. Which makes sense, Airbus has invested a lot in infrastructure here that could be shared between the two assembly lines.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I am still interested to hear more about this deal, especially since Airbus now has a majority stake in something that didn't cost them a dime and :canada: has literally invested billions in. The political gymnastics for this is going to be something else.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

slidebite posted:

I am still interested to hear more about this deal, especially since Airbus now has a majority stake in something that didn't cost them a dime and :canada: has literally invested billions in. The political gymnastics for this is going to be something else.

The EU will handle Brexit by designating Canada the new Britain.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Nice piece of fish posted:

Interesting. But what's the application for at one-man EZ helicopter type deal? It has a lot of limitations apparent right off the bat, and I can't see a single thing it could accomplish that a helicopter or a drone couldn't do better.

Knowing the time it was first designed? Probably to hustle troops into and out of hot zones when the nukes fell across eastern Europe.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

beep-beep car is go posted:

Knowing the time it was first designed? Probably to hustle troops into and out of hot zones when the nukes fell across eastern Europe.

Artillery spotting maybe? WWII liaison aircraft flew right above the treetops.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

e.pilot posted:

And Peterson AFB, CO

The one outside the AWACS wing HQ building at Tinker AFB is actually a Navy aircraft with USAF paint. :downs:

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

These man-sized quad-copters are literally death traps. Since there's no way it would survive the failure of a single motor, having four on board just quadruples your risk of failure. I wonder how the impact velocity of a 25 ft free fall (likely landing upside down on your face) compares to a bad (but survivable) auto-rotation?

I've wondered, if the motors were powerful enough could it be possible to stop the opposite motor and start it turning the opposite direction fast enough to balance the failed motor.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

Me too. (e: Bombardier shares up 24%)

Random question in case somebody knows: in World War 2, how common was training instrument flying? For the Allies, was it universal?

While I'd heard mention of it before, it turns out Luftwaffe daytime fighter pilots didn't get instrument training when first deployed - once they got some experience under their belt (circumstances permitting), then they'd go off and get instrument training. (All bomber, night fighter, and recon pilots received it as standard.) This economy measures really bit the Germans in the rear end when it came time to deploy the Me 262. It was fast enough that descending through cloud could get a VFR (visual flight rules) pilot into serious death-trouble; he might angle too steeply, overstress the airframe, or just slam into the ground at something close to the speed of sound. This lead to a miserable choice: get the now unoccupied Luftwaffe pilots who used to fly bombers to fly jets with basically no fighter training, or train fighter pilots IFR (instrument flight rules) flying. The Luftwaffe picked the former as it was quicker, which is why in the start of 1945, there were no straight fighter formations flying jets. (IE they were fighter bomber or night fighter wings.)

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 17, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

I would agree that police shouldn't ride such a vehicle through crowds or to fight a riot. And the UAE/Dubai in particular has an... interesting... track record.

On the other hand, some areas where I can see this being useful and not overly risky, except maybe to the operator in case of mechanical failure:

Surveying
Plenty of crummy terrain utilities work
Rescue work
work in swampy areas or with lots of water crossings and soft soil
hosed up roads
etc

I tend to presume they won't just be going hog-wild screaming around streets and slamming into signs. Or rather, I presume that if they start by doing that, I'll get some hilarious videos before they write new regs about when to get the hoverbike out.
The power density of current packs basically guarantees that anything capable of carrying humans will have a flight time of minutes. Also making it a quad instead of hexa/octo while also carrying a pilot is legit retarded. Literally the entire powertrain is a single point of failure.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Finger Prince posted:

Wrong. The cleverest thing they have is a gift store in every facility full of all the stuff that every aircraft nerd who comes through their doors will happily blow their per diem on. And a Tully's on payroll deduction. The training department has probably sold at least one 787 worth of tat to airline staff alone.

Ain’t that the truth. Seeing guys in my class stock up on all that Boeing crap was cringe inducing. They’d even sell you the 5 figure 787 model hanging from the ceiling if you were serious enough. Boeing must have a couple ex-Harley marketing guys on the payroll.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Saukkis posted:

I've wondered, if the motors were powerful enough could it be possible to stop the opposite motor and start it turning the opposite direction fast enough to balance the failed motor.
You can (model drone pilots call it 3D flight), but in terms of weight budget you're probably better off adding motors instead of carrying 4 motors capable of lifting your death trap when 2 are offline.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If you lose a motor on a quadcopter, you have to stop the opposite corner immediately or you'll be completely hosed. At best, it can be blipped to keep orientation, but that's going to induce more yaw.

Quads can get to the ground on two rotors, but it has to be done via autopilot. Quads maintain yaw control by having the rotors next to each other spin in opposite directions; rotors on opposite corners turn the same direction. Any humans on board will basically be useless due to the uncontrolled yaw rate spinning them into a blackout.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Seems to me that the Bombardier-Airbus deal would have had to take a lot more time to work out than the 2 weeks or so that it's been since the tariff announcement. If that's true, then that means that it was gamed out ahead of time, and if it successfully circumvents the tariff, Boeing is in the middle of an historic-level punking.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

:stare: haha seriously?

Also it kinda bugs me that the Boeing lettering isn't vertical when upright / oriented with the mug being sideways

Yup, all the staff just give their employee number at the till. Apparently they offered the commission to Starbucks, but they turned it down because they have some rules about minimum square footage floor space and maybe some other things about branding. Tully's meanwhile was like "captive customers? gently caress yeah!".
Their cafeterias are the poo poo too.

vessbot posted:

Seems to me that the Bombardier-Airbus deal would have had to take a lot more time to work out than the 2 weeks or so that it's been since the tariff announcement. If that's true, then that means that it was gamed out ahead of time, and if it successfully circumvents the tariff, Boeing is in the middle of an historic-level punking.

My guess is that the tariff was discussed when Trump met with Boeing back at the start of the year, so word might have got out then. The timing of filing the complaint and adding the tariff is pretty obviously planned to coincide with NAFTA renegotiation, but it would have been worked out in advance just like the Airbus counter.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

Me too. (e: Bombardier shares up 24%)

Random question in case somebody knows: in World War 2, how common was training instrument flying? For the Allies, was it universal?

During WW2, USAAF pilots all went through a "basic training" course which included instrument flying, and US Navy pilots went through a very similar program, so I think all US Army, Navy, and Marine pilots would have been instrument trained during the war.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The Link Trainers were pretty common and I think part of the normal training to become a pilot in most western nations.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
If you were flying Amerijet 827 today, October 17, they were looking for you on guard at 16:12Z today in the Miami area.

Monitoring guard on training flights has finally paid off. :spergin:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

hobbesmaster posted:

That portion of the flight envelope is known as “taxiing”

Hover taxiing sure shouldn't be done at 40+ mph. That's called forward flight. My point being, 40 knots at 15 feet doesn't give you much autorotation capability in an actual helicopter.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 17, 2017

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Phanatic posted:

Hover taxiing sure shouldn't be done at 40+ mph. That's called forward flight. My point being, 40 knots at 15 feet doesn't give you much autorotation capability in an actual helicopter.

Or much time to do anything other than crash straight ahead in anything that flies. Even in an airplane capable of flying at 40kts you'd be pretty much out of luck because you wouldn't have time to react appropriately. Best case scenario you manage to suck the yoke back and bleed off speed to land but that doesn't exactly give you time to make sure you have a landing spot picked out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

charliemonster42 posted:

Or much time to do anything other than crash straight ahead in anything that flies. Even in an airplane capable of flying at 40kts you'd be pretty much out of luck because you wouldn't have time to react appropriately.

Right. The problem with this thing isn't so much that it's less safe than a helicopter those speeds and altitude, because that part of the envelope is marked "Don't stay here" in pretty much everything that flies. The problem with this thing is that it lives there.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

The Link Trainers were pretty common and I think part of the normal training to become a pilot in most western nations.

Ha, Gander's little Aviation museum has one of those.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Godholio posted:

The one outside the AWACS wing HQ building at Tinker AFB is actually a Navy aircraft with USAF paint. :downs:

That’s just a static display too, can’t get a tour of the inside of that one. :spergin:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

e.pilot posted:

That’s just a static display too, can’t get a tour of the inside of that one. :spergin:

You can go inside the one in Topeka.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
They have tours of the one at Peterson, too.

vv Shame, the Titan II(?) trainer is awesome.

Shalhavet fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 18, 2017

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Shalhavet posted:

Alas that I only had 20 minutes to screw around in the air park there. At least I got a decent (potato) picture of the Nike Ajax display!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Shalhavet posted:

vv Shame, the Titan II(?) trainer is awesome.

I can’t remember his name but one of the docents at Pete actually worked on that very plane. Best tour I’ve ever had.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

e.pilot posted:

True. It took two years of retired colonels bitching and moaning for the wing to even send maintenance personnel in there to clean it up. And drain all the fluids from when it flew into Tinker back in the late 80s and apparently just parked there in the grass.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.
I think there was some Snowbirdschat a while back, so have my favorite picture that I took of them when they were rehearsing in Kingston a few weeks ago.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Finger Prince posted:

My guess is that the tariff was discussed when Trump met with Boeing back at the start of the year, so word might have got out then. The timing of filing the complaint and adding the tariff is pretty obviously planned to coincide with NAFTA renegotiation, but it would have been worked out in advance just like the Airbus counter.

My initial thought was "so that's why Boeing gives 2 shits about a plane it doesn't compete with." ie. They knew this deal was coming and wanted to get ahead of it.

Don't forget they may have scuppered a fighter deal to do this

(Lol, Canada won't buy fighters)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Canada should buy Rafales or nothing