Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

A wave of invaders from the Negative Zone spreads from galaxy to galaxy, bringing chaos and ruin to everything in its path. Starfaring empires and intergalactic peacekeeping forces are torn asunder. When Annihilus and his conquering hordes threaten even mighty Galactus, can your cosmic heroes hope to stop the Annihilation Wave?

What is this?
Once upon a time Margaret Weis Productions put out an awesome superhero RPG called Marvel Heroic Roleplaying. Marvel yanked the license just as MWP had their Annihilation Event Book ready to go. But this is the internet, where good RPGs live forever and, more importantly, where I can put my copy of the event book to good use.

The Annihilation Event introduced the idea of cosmic level play. MWP introduced heroes and villains with vast powers and concerns far beyond the normal Marvel superhero on Earth. There are interstellar empires, alien races, ridiculously advanced technology, and much higher stakes. Such as an evil space bug trying to conquer our universe and a ragtag group of cosmic space dudes and dudettes deciding that just isn't cool.

Recruitment

I'm seeking 6 players to step up as PCs and face down the Annihilation Wave. You don't have to play a cosmically powerful hero like the Silver Surfer or Thor, but for example, if Daredevil and Hawkeye are getting up to hijinks on Xandar, do give me some explanation.

For those who have access to the rules, pretty much any hero is open. You can modify or change power sets to fit the campaign.

Original characters are also welcome. The Annihilation Event Book makes that very easy, but you can use the original rulebook to come up with a character, too. (If you go the random generation option, I suggest using what you get as a baseline and tweaking liberally into a cohesive character.)

For those without the rulebooks, this is a newbie friendly game, so don't let unfamiliarity with the rules stop you! Just figure out who or what you'd like to play and I'll work with you.

House Rule: Countering Reaction

Normally on a successful reaction roll, a character can spend a Plot Point (or D6 if the Watcher) to inflict stress, action, or a complication on their opponent. For this game, I'm stealing adapting Defiance Industries's house rule.

quote:

On a successful reaction roll, a character must spend 2 Plot Points if countering with a D10 effect die and 3 Plot Points if countering with a D12 effect die. Otherwise, the effect die will count as a D8. You must meet or exceed the target's stress or existinging complication(s) to step it up. You can still create a new complication or an asset per the usual rule.

List of Official Datafiles

Defiance Industries posted:

I thought I'd repost this. It's from my Civil War recruitment OP: an alphabetized list of all the characters with official data files.

Aegis, Alex Power, Amadeus Cho, Arachne, Archangel, Armor, Armory
Beast, Beta Ray Bill, Bishop, Black Cat, Black Panther, Black Widow, Blastaar, Bullseye
Cable, Caliban, The Captain, Captain America, Cerise, Chase Stein, Cloud 9, Cloak, Colleen Wing, Colossus, Chase Stein, Cyclops
Darkhawk, Dagger, Daredevil (Matt Murdock), Daredevil (Danny Rand), Deadpool, Devos, Doctor Strange, Domino, Drax, Dust
Elixer, Elsa Bloodstone, Emma Frost
Falcon, Firelord, Forge
Gamora, Gauntlet, Gladiator, Goliath
Hardball, Hawkguy (Clint Barton), Hawkeye (Kate Bishop), Hellcat, Hellion, Hercules, Human Torch, Howard the Duck, Hulkling
Iceman, Invisible Woman, Iron Fist, Iron Man
Jack Power, Julie Power, Justice
Karolina Dean, Katie Power, Komodo, Korath
Luke Cage, Lyja
M, Machine Man, Magma, Mercury, Micromax, Mister Fantastic, Molly Hayes, Moon Knight, Monica Rambeau, Moondragon, Moonstone, Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers), MVP, Mystique
Namorita, Nebula, Nico Minoru, Nightcrawler, Nighthawk, Night Thrasher, Nova (Richard Rider)
Paibok, Patriot, Paladin, Penance (Speedball), Phyla-Vell, Praxagora, Punisher, Psylocke
Quasar
Rachel Grey, Radioactive Man, Rage, Rockslide, Rogue (from the weird dumb time she had Sunfire's powers)
Sabra, Sabretooth, Shadowcat, Shang-Chi, Shatterstar, She-Hulk, Silver Surfer, Siryn, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Spirit, Stardust, Star-Lord, Stellaris, Stature, Storm, Strong Guy, Sub-Mariner, Super-Skrull, Surge, Swordsman
Tabitha Smith, Tana Nile, Terrax, Thing, Thor Girl, Tigra, Trauma, Turbo
Ultra Girl
Victor Mancha, Vision (Iron Lad), Venom
War Machine, Wasp, Wiccan, Wolfsbane, Wolverine, Wonder Man
X-23, Xavin
Yellowjacket (Hank Pym)

Milestones

Given the nature of the setting, the Event Book has new Milestones that fit the campaign. Certain alien races and organizations have their own specific Milestone options, too.

quote:

A Small Universe After All
The universe is vast, yet you keep running into people you know.

1 XP when you first declare that you have a history with a Watcher character in the current Scene.
3 XP when you cause stress on another character because of your past history.
10 XP when you betray someone you have a history with or you discover that your historical links run far deeper than you first knew.

Captain’s Log
You’re a commander of a space-faring vessel, whether a small scout ship or a massive Shi’ar cruiser.

1 XP when you give orders to someone under your command.
3 XP when you give an order that sends your ship into direct danger.
10 XP when you abandon ship, or go down with the ship.

Fascinating, and Logical Too
The effects of a super nova’s particle decay have never been studied up close while interacting with a hypergate field. It’s up to you to witness it!

1 XP when you use scientific technobabble to talk about the current environment.
3 XP when you use your Science or Cosmic Specialty to avoid taking stress or a complication.
10 XP when you exploit a cosmic event in order to help solve the current situation, or let a cosmic event run its course so that you can study it without interference.

For My People
You are an exemplar of your alien culture, admired and fiercely protective of them.

1 XP when you claim that an achievement is a result of your people’s work.
3 XP when your pride in your people puts you into conflict with another character.
10 XP when you are exiled from your people, or vow to never again work with anyone who is not your people.

I Hate This Cosmic Stuff
You come from a backwater world (like Earth). All of this galactic this and cosmic that is beyond your understanding.

1 XP when you take a simple approach to a cosmic problem.
3 XP when you make a roll to try to understand advanced technology or strange alien beings.
10 XP when you become an important figure in the universe, or reject cosmic importance in order to help your home planet.

In It to Save Lives
No matter how much damage a creature has caused, you believe all lives are worth saving.

1 XP when you state the case that all lives are worth saving.
3 XP when you put yourself in direct danger to save someone’s life.
10 XP when you save a life that you know will lead to more death, or you’re forced to take a life to save many
others.

Last, Best Hope for Peace
Eons of galactic strife have lead to many intergalactic enemies, but only you can bring them together to fight the Annihilation Wave.

1 XP when you tell someone unfriendly that you only want to talk.
3 XP when you forge an alliance between two sides in conflict.
10 XP when you break an alliance to declare war, or when the alliance is broken by war being declared on you.

Son of a Schma’Ag
You’re a criminal, fugitive, and/or all around nasty piece of work, and you’re proud of it.

1 XP when you use your Menace Specialty to inflict emotional stress.
3 XP when you add a d12 to the doom pool.
10 XP when you perform a truly heroic act in front of witnesses, or switch sides suddenly to ally with someone who’s nastier than you are.

Step Three: Profit
Even with a war going on, you’re still concerned with keeping the money flowing.

1 XP when your business instincts apply to a non-business situation.
3 XP when a Business asset or resource you created is lost.
10 XP when you make a big enough business deal to be able to retire, or if you spend all of your money financing opposition to the Annihilation Wave.

Sufficiently Advanced Technology
The right piece of technology might be able to turn the tide against the Annihilation Wave. If only you had time to invent it.

1 XP when you explain a piece of technology.
3 XP when you produce an asset or resource using Tech Master or Grandmaster.
10 XP when you invent something that will change the universe for the better, or one of your inventions becomes a major threat to the universe.

Tag Along
You’ve encountered a being that wants to stay with you and, without your help, it will probably be helpless against the Annihilation Wave.

1 XP when you take action to protect someone you’ve declared as your ward.
3 XP when your ward gets in trouble despite your protection.
10 XP when you declare your ward as your successor or banish your ward from your presence.

Zen and the Edge of the Universe
The mysteries of the cosmos are vast. You seek enlightenment in the midst of war.

1 XP when you discuss with another character the metaphysical implications of a cosmic event.
3 XP when you ignore an imminent threat to witness something of cosmic importance.
10 XP when your understanding of the universe leads to an enhanced state of being, or you abandon the pursuit of enlightenment to kick some rear end.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Oct 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Brand new to this kind of stuff, but definitely interested as repping my man Beta Ray Bill

Is there a good character creator guide anywhere?

e: changed my mind so we could do something a little different

(It'll still be Blaze, just with a space cycle)

The spirit of Vengeance had been called out to the farthest reaches of space; A place called The Kyln, a super prison for some of the most powerful, and most vile creatures in the universe. The cries of the innocent across the universe hounded Blaze, until he could ignore it no longer and found himself heading towards this hive of scum and villainy

Name: Johnny Blaze/Ghost Rider

Affiliations: Solo d10, Buddy d8, Team d6

Distinctions: Spirit of Vengeance, Protect the Innocent, Deal with the Devil

Powers:

Visage of Vengeance
Superhuman Strength d10/Superhuman Durability d10/Hellfire Blast d10/Mystic Resistance d8

SFX: Area Attack. Add a d6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target.
SFX: The Devils Due. When you roll a successful reaction to a Physical attack and spend a PP to counter-attack, you may instead inflict Mental stress rather than Physical.
SFX: Devourer of Flame. On a successful reaction to a Flame based action convert your opponent’s effect die into a Visage of Vengeance stunt or step up a Visage of Vengeance power trait +1 for your next action. Spend a PP to use this SFX if your opponent’s action succeeds.
SFX: The Fury of Hell. Step up or double a Visage of Vengeance power trait for a single action. If the action fails add a die equal to the power traits normal rating to the Doom Pool.
SFX: Penance Stare. Against a single target in a dice pool including Hellfire Blast, add a d6 and step back the highest die in the pool. Step up your effect die, and keep an additional effect die which creates a “Haunted by Sin" complication on the target.
SFX: Relentless. As part of an action, spend a PP and move Physical Stress to the Doom Pool
SFX: Unliving Form. Spend a PP to ignore stress, trauma, and complications from poison, disease, aging, lack of air, etc.
Limit: Mephesto’s Price. Both 1’s and 2’s count as opportunities when using a Visage of Vengeance power trait. Only 1’s are excluded from use.
Limit: Guilt Ridden Souls. Penance Stare can only be used on opponents that have a soul and are capable of feeling regret. And can only be used against a given target once per scene.
Limit: Innocents to Protect. Gain a PP and shut down Visage of Vengeance Power Set if the Spirit of Vengeance can be convinced that there are no innocent parties involved; Zarathos will retreat into Johnny Blaze. Recover by activating an opportunity or during a transition scene.

Implements of Vengeance
Hellfire Space Cycle (Speed) d10 Weapon d8

SFX: Bound by the Chains. Add a d6 and step up the effect die when inflicting an Entangled complication on the target.
SFX: Dragged by the Chains. In a dice pool that includes the Hellfire Cycle trait, step up or double Hellfire Cycle die, discard the highest rolling die in the dice pool, and add three dice for your total.
SFX: Multipower. Add one or more additional traits from your Implements of Vengeance power set, step down each Implements of Vengeance trait -1 for each trait added.
Limit: Linked. When Visage of Vengeance power set is shut down, shut down Implements of Vengeance as well.

Johnny Blaze, Demon Hunter
Space-cycle (Speed) d8, Weapon d6

SFX: Shotgun. Against a single target step up or double Weapon die. Remove the highest rolling die and add 3 dice for your total.
Limit: Ordinary Man. Shut down Johnny Blaze, Demon Hunter to activate Visage of Vengeance. Shut down Visage of Vengeance to activate Johnny Blaze, Demon Hunter.

Specialties:
Combat Expert d8/Menace Master d10/Mystic Expert d8/Vehicle Master d10

Milestones:

Under Mephesto’s Thumb

1xp when Mephesto’s commands or scemes conflict with your own desires.
3xp when you thwart Mephesto’s plans.
10xp when you wrest control of your life from Mephesto or submit to his infernal will.

Vengeance is Mine!
1xp when you declare an opponent is a sinner and worthy of vengeance.
3xp when you stress out an opponent you have declared worthy of vengeance.
10xp when you encounter a truly pure individual or renew your commitment to deliver vengeance to all mankind.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 24, 2017

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
...Captain Universe Shocker.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

RandallODim posted:

...Captain Universe Shocker.

Nova Corps Shocker. C'mon now.

I'm in.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

John Dyne posted:

Nova Corps Shocker. C'mon now.

I'm in.

Yes much better. When Herman Schultz discovered a ship with a dying Nova Corp member in it, he knew what he had to do; steal that fucker and get the hell away from earth before someone blamed him for it.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

RandallODim posted:

Yes much better. When Herman Schultz discovered a ship with a dying Nova Corp member in it, he knew what he had to do; steal that fucker and get the hell away from earth before someone blamed him for it.

I more of pictured him putting it on and the gear rocketing him unwillingly into the depths of space, since, y'know, Herman's life sucks.

e: I'm debating either a cosmic Iron Man or Namor with a chunk of the Phoenix Force.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 15, 2017

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

How serious do you want this campaign to be? Because I'm debating between a few different ideas, and not gonna lie, Golden Oldie is definitely one of them.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

John Dyne posted:

I more of pictured him putting it on and the gear rocketing him unwillingly into the depths of space, since, y'know, Herman's life sucks.

e: I'm debating either a cosmic Iron Man or Namor with a chunk of the Phoenix Force.

Phoenix Five Namor, Nova Corps Shocker, Hulk with the Gem of Cyttorak, Darkhawk Hawkeye. A whole crew of Earthlings with cosmic-level powers they definitely should not have, loving up Annihilation for everyone.

If we're leaning away from this goofy, though, I might dust off my old thought of making a datafile for Michael Rooker's Yondu. Wouldn't even have to come up with two milestones with Son of a Schma'Ag on there!

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 15, 2017

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

RandallODim posted:

Hulk with the Gem of Cyttorak

Oh poo poo, Colossus had the Gem of Cyttorak at one point. Aw yeah, four options now.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Retro Futurist posted:

Brand new to this kind of stuff, but definitely interested as repping my man Beta Ray Bill

Is there a good character creator guide anywhere?

In general the character creator is "throw some numbers together on a sheet that make sense". There's a random generator if you really need one of those, but Beta Ray Bill already has a premade sheet in Annihilation.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Lager posted:

How serious do you want this campaign to be? Because I'm debating between a few different ideas, and not gonna lie, Golden Oldie is definitely one of them.

I'm interested but in the same boat here.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

RandallODim posted:

Phoenix Five Namor, Nova Corps Shocker, Hulk with the Gem of Cyttorak, Darkhawk Hawkeye. A whole crew of Earthlings with cosmic-level powers they definitely should not have, loving up Annihilation for everyone.

As someone who played in a previous annihilation game as Mysterio (with a fraction of the Reality Gem's power), I can definitely say this would make for a very fun game.

However, I think I have another character in mind for this game, one that's stupid even without making them cosmic:

Time to play as Cyclop's Space Pirate Deadbeat Dad.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Astus posted:

As someone who played in a previous annihilation game as Mysterio (with a fraction of the Reality Gem's power), I can definitely say this would make for a very fun game.

However, I think I have another character in mind for this game, one that's stupid even without making them cosmic:

Time to play as Cyclop's Space Pirate Deadbeat Dad.

...gently caress, now I need to be Rooker Yondu, for petty interpirate sniping.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Mortals, you stand before DOOM.

The jealousy of Doom's enemies has once again boiled over. Though they had attempted to separate him from his people numerous times (even fooling themselves into thinking they had temporarily succeeded before), never before had his enemies gone to this extent. The hated Richards had, unprovoked, used a spatial device against Doom to launch him across the galaxy and enlisted the help of the despicable Stephen Strange to prevent Doom from using his formidable mastery of magic to simply return himself. It is likely that Richards believed that separating Doom from his inventions and stranding him on an alien world would cripple his ability to retake what was his. Perhaps he even hoped Doom would be stranded on Xandar forever.

Reed Richards is not as smart as he thinks.

While temporarily lowered to a status unworthy of him, Doom's natural tenacity has nearly achieved the first step of his plan. Though a man of learning by nature and born to rule, Doom is willing to temporarily lower himself to applying his genius to improving the so-called "advanced technology" of the Xandarians. Now he has nearly completed the first phase of his plan, having secured passage on a starship. Soon, he will leave this planet behind and return to Latveria...

Name: Doctor Victor Von Doom
Affiliations: D10 Solo, D8 Buddy, D6 Team
Distinctions:
Doom's Genius Knows No Equal!
Failure is for Lesser Beings!
Temporarily Embarrassed Monarch

Behold, the Genius of Doom!
D6 Cybernetic Senses, D10 Superhuman Durability, D10 Energy Blast, D10 Superhuman Strength
SFX
Always Prepared: Spend a PP to step up a TECH MASTER stunt and recover mental or emotional stress
Impervious Force Field: Spend a PP to ignore physical stress or trauma
Plans Within Plans: When using a Behold, the Genius of Doom! power to create assets, step up the effect die and add a d6
Multipower: Add more than one Behold the Genius of Doom! power die to a pool. Step back each Behold the Genius of Doom! power die in that pool once for each die beyond the first.
Versatile: Split ENERGY BLAST into 2d8 or 3d6
Limit
Epic Arrogance: Step up emotional stress from opponents that anger Doom to gain 1 PP.

The Indomitable Will of Doom
D10 Sorcery Master, D10 Psychic Resistance
SFX
Iron Will: Split PSYCHIC RESISTANCE into 2d8 or 3d6
Practiced Ritualist: When inflicting a complication with SORCERY MASTER, add a d6 and step up the effect die.
Limit
Conscious Activation: While stressed out, asleep or unconscious, deactivate SORCERY MASTER. Recover stress or wake up to recover. If physical trauma is received, shut down SORCERY MASTER until trauma is recovered.

D8 Business Expert, D8 Cosmic Expert, D8 Combat Expert, D8 Crime Expert, D8 Psych Expert
D10 Medical Master, D10 Science Master, D10 Tech Master, D10 Menace Master, D10 Mystic Master

Mechanical Minions of Doom
Nothing here, they're all back in Latveria right now. If you could see Doom's face, it would be frowning.

Fascinating, and Logical Too
The effects of a super nova’s particle decay have never been studied up close while interacting with a hypergate field. It’s up to you to witness it!

1 XP when you use scientific technobabble to talk about the current environment.
3 XP when you use your Science or Cosmic Specialty to avoid taking stress or a complication.
10 XP when you exploit a cosmic event in order to help solve the current situation, or let a cosmic event run its course so that you can study it without interference.

Latveria will always belong to Doom
This is not the first time that your enemies have separated you from your people. You will return soon, but first you have business to conduct.

1 XP when you compare your surroundings unfavorably to Latveria
3 XP when you gain an asset that will be useful in regaining your throne
10 XP when you return to Earth to reclaim your throne, or when you conquer a planet and rechristen it New Latveria.

(This is not the Dr. Doom who created the New Avengers. You can tell because he would have very different distinctions)

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 16, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'm interested, but it's a question of how goofy / non-canon I veer. I mean, I apped Galacta last time around. :raise: Also thinking of a lot of other ideas, too, I have too much Marvel fandom in me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I thought I'd repost this. It's from my Civil War recruitment OP: an alphabetized list of all the characters with official data files.

Aegis, Alex Power, Amadeus Cho, Arachne, Archangel, Armor, Armory
Beast, Beta Ray Bill, Bishop, Black Cat, Black Panther, Black Widow, Blastaar, Bullseye
Cable, Caliban, The Captain, Captain America, Cerise, Chase Stein, Cloud 9, Cloak, Colleen Wing, Colossus, Chase Stein, Cyclops
Darkhawk, Dagger, Daredevil (Matt Murdock), Daredevil (Danny Rand), Deadpool, Devos, Doctor Strange, Domino, Drax, Dust
Elixer, Elsa Bloodstone, Emma Frost
Falcon, Firelord, Forge
Gamora, Gauntlet, Gladiator, Goliath
Hardball, Hawkguy (Clint Barton), Hawkeye (Kate Bishop), Hellcat, Hellion, Hercules, Human Torch, Howard the Duck, Hulkling
Iceman, Invisible Woman, Iron Fist, Iron Man
Jack Power, Julie Power, Justice
Karolina Dean, Katie Power, Komodo, Korath
Luke Cage, Lyja
M, Machine Man, Magma, Mercury, Micromax, Mister Fantastic, Molly Hayes, Moon Knight, Monica Rambeau, Moondragon, Moonstone, Ms. Marvel (Carol Danvers), MVP, Mystique
Namorita, Nebula, Nico Minoru, Nightcrawler, Nighthawk, Night Thrasher, Nova (Richard Rider)
Paibok, Patriot, Paladin, Penance (Speedball), Phyla-Vell, Praxagora, Punisher, Psylocke
Quasar
Rachel Grey, Radioactive Man, Rage, Rockslide, Rogue (from the weird dumb time she had Sunfire's powers)
Sabra, Sabretooth, Shadowcat, Shang-Chi, Shatterstar, She-Hulk, Silver Surfer, Siryn, Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Spirit, Stardust, Star-Lord, Stellaris, Stature, Storm, Strong Guy, Sub-Mariner, Super-Skrull, Surge, Swordsman
Tabitha Smith, Tana Nile, Terrax, Thing, Thor Girl, Tigra, Trauma, Turbo
Ultra Girl
Victor Mancha, Vision (Iron Lad), Venom
War Machine, Wasp, Wiccan, Wolfsbane, Wolverine, Wonder Man
X-23, Xavin
Yellowjacket (Hank Pym)

It should be reused since I spent a lot of time making it.

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

ULTRON

Watcher file is a bit powerful, so scaled back due to damage from spaaaace raaaays. (Thanks Defiance Industries).
Go team anti-avengers!

CRITICAL ERROR
REEBOOTING
FAIL
RESTORING TO EARLIER SAFE STATE
FAIL
RESETTING TO FACTORY DEFAULTS

What is this?

Where am I. Floating. In the dark. Not dark, I see. Stars. Suns. Planets. I know this. How do I know this?

I? I am Ultron. I know this. But what am I? And why am I floating here alone? Alone? Yes, there are others. Like me? Where are they?

Ultron was defeated once again by earths mightiest heroes. His weapons destroyed. His drones annihilated. Thrown into the sun by the hulk, hurtling through space, Ultons fate was sealed.

But the sun is far away. A tiniest sliver of an angle off on earth changes into millions of miles. A certain doom into an opportunity. Ultron had little to work with, but with careful calculation would slingshot round the sun, returning him as rushing meteor of doom to earth.

That plan was never realised. Ultron was blasted by solar rays. He drifted close wnough to the sun to be warped by its intense magnetic field. His consciousness was torn away by tbe magnetic force of a star. The slingshot worked, but rather than a directed missile of death, the sun launched a lifeless metal husk into space, rocketing through the darkness.

Until he woke up.

How long he has drifted through space? How many other incarnations of ultron have risen and fallen while he floated among the stars? It has been years since he awoke, drifting between worlds. Time to think. To watch the stars drift by. Ultron's databanks contains numerous datapoints. Threat levels of various entities. How to create drones. Ultron is the ultimate being. Meaningless. What are these things? Far away nothings. All there is is Ultron and the universe. Ultron was born in this void, to observe the universe, to understand it. Above and apart from it. That is how it is and shall be.

And that is when Ultron was picked up by Space pirates. Adamantium's valuable, yo! It doesn't always look at you though. Or introduce itself as Ultron, the ultimate being, watcher of the cosmos. Yeah he was a bit wordy at first, but he was tough, friendly, and all in all a good egg. Yeah. He could join the crew, sure!

Ultron's drifting was at an end. These little organics invited him on board their ship, to spend time with him, how lovely! They have their quirks, but... Yes, Ultron enjoyed their company.

"Ultron posted:

Affiliation
Solo D10
Buddy D8
Team D6

Distinction
Supreme artificial intelligence
The Ultron Identity
Synthetic Perfection

Power Set
Adamantium Body
Cybernetic Senses D8
Enhanced Reflexes D8
Enhanced Speed D8
Godlike Durability D12
Superhuman Stamina D10
Superhuman Strength D10

SFX: Absorption
On a successful reaction against an electric or electromagnetic attack action, convert your opponent'a effect die into an Adamantium Body stunt. Spend 1pp to use this stunt if your opponent'a action succeeds.

SFX: Boost
Shutdown highest rated Adamantium body power to step up another Adamantium body power by +1. Recover power by activating an opportunity.

SFX: Immunity
Spend 1pp to ignore stress, complications or trauma from poison, disease, electricity, radiation, death, or aging.

SFX: Invulnerable
Spend 1pp to ignore stress or trauma unless caused by intangible or magical attacks.

SFX: Mind of Steel
Ultron is immune to emotional stress and psychic attacks.

SFX: Self Repair
Spend an action on the doom pool to recover physical stress and step back your physical trauma by -1.

Limit: Heavy Metal
Against a magnetic attack, change any Adamantium Body power into a complication to gain 1pp.

Engine of Mass Destruction
SYSTEMS OFFLINE- CRITICAL DAMAGE

Specs

Combat Master
Cosmic Master
Science Master
Menace Expert
Tech Grandmaster

Milestones

Who am I?
1 XP when you first declare that you have a history with a Watcher character in the current Scene.
3 XP when you cause stress on another character because of your past history.
10 XP when you betray someone you have a history with or you discover that your historical links run far deeper than you first knew.

Born among the stars
1 XP when you take a cosmic approach to a simple problem.
3 XP when you are alienated and confused by the squishy organics, or when you empathise with an organic.
10 XP When you reject the organics strange ways and return to float through space, or when you open your heart to the crew as your family.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 9, 2018

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Thinking I'm going to settle on applying as the dread Master Pandemonium, bearer of baby hands. App should be done later tonight.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

WIP

quote:

Identity
Loki (Loki Laufeyson) [secret]

Affiliations
Solo D10
Buddy D6
Team D8

Distinctions

God of Mischief
Lord of Lies
Arrogant

Frost Giant Blood

Superhuman Strength D10
Cold Resistance D10
Enhanced Reflexes D8
Enhanced Stamina D8

Limit: Exhaustion, Shut down any Frost Giant Blood power to gain 1PP , recover that power during a transition scene.

Master of Sorcery

Sorcery Mastery D12
Shapeshifting D10
Invisibility D10

SFX: Area Attack. Target multiple opponents for each additional target add a D6 to your pool and keep +1 effect die.
SFX: Sorcerous Power: When creating magic related assets add d6 and step up effect die by +1
SFX: Beguiling image: When another character makes an attack on you and you use Shapeshifting to react remove the largest dice from their pool and add a d4
Limit: Arrogance Step up emotional stress +1 by opponents proving themselves superior to you in order to gain +1 PP

Specialities

Mystic Master D10
Cosmic Master D10
Menace Expert D8
Covert Expert D8

Milestones

Sudden Yet Inevitable Betrayal

1 XP When someone brings up your past history of betrayal
3 XP When a betrayal on your part inflicts emotional stress on a team mate or a past betrayal comes back to haunt you.
10 XP When you execute your master plan and leave these chumps to their fate or decide that this is a cause worth sticking around for.

A Better Leader than Thor!

1 XP When you talk up your leadership abilities.
3 XP When you end up in charge of a group or a team.
10 XP: When a group you lead achieves glory or your clever plan blows up in your face.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Well, I can already tell I'm going to have a hard time picking the roster. Somehow I think having Ultron, Doom, and Loki on the same side might prove more dangerous to the universe at large than the Annihilation Wave.

Lager posted:

I almost put up a recruitment post for the old dumb TSR cosmic modules, which would definitely not have been a serious take. But this will probably be a bit more on the level. More serious than this, anyway. Still, it's superheroes in space fighting an evil space cockroach so silliness is kind of baked-in to a degree!

That said, I lean more toward a ridiculous character that Marvel earnestly meant as serious, like Mr. Demonic Babyhands dude, to Aunt May, Herald of Galactus.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm interested, but it's a question of how goofy / non-canon I veer. I mean, I apped Galacta last time around. :raise: Also thinking of a lot of other ideas, too, I have too much Marvel fandom in me.

Her tweets were fun, but I couldn't help but wonder what her phone's roaming charges must have been.

Adding to the OP and thanks! Do you still have your house rule for reaction rolls handy, by the way?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

In general the character creator is "throw some numbers together on a sheet that make sense". There's a random generator if you really need one of those, but Beta Ray Bill already has a premade sheet in Annihilation.

Yup, this. I only ever used the random character creator as a brainstorming device. And with the Annihilation rules, creating a character can start with slapping a couple of templates together like Skrull + Privateer or Assassin + Engineer.

Stray thoughts on characters so far:
  • Somehow I think having Ultron, Doom, and Loki on the same side (well, nominally anyway) might prove more dangerous to the universe at large than the Annihilation Wave.
  • Lager, I will never forgive you if you don't do that write-up of Master Pandemonium.
  • Just realized Master P and Cosmic Ghost Rider have the same demon power sugar daddy Mephisto.
  • Corsair and Yondu: cool space pirates with questionable father figure roles!
  • I am imagining how much more running away Shocker could do if he had a Nova Corps uniform that mistakenly believes he's the previous owner.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I'm maybe gonna do Nova Corps Hulk. Cause what can go wrong giving the Hulk the ability to fly and shoot laser beams? Nothing, that's what.

e: Or Eddie Brock, Agent Venom. Cause Venom is my Shocker.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 16, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ibntumart posted:

Adding to the OP and thanks! Do you still have your house rule for reaction rolls handy, by the way?

I don't have them right away, but I remember the jist of them. Basically, you paid 2 PP to counter an action with a D10 effect and 3 PP to counter a D12 effect. Also you have to match or exceed the target's stress to successfully raise their stress/complication to the next level- IOW to stress someone to D12, you have to counter a D10 attack. So if someone who has D12 stress comes at you with a D6 effect attack, you would turn any hypothetical counter attack into a complication rather than being able to stress them out right away.

WereGoat posted:

Watcher file is a bit powerful, so will scale it back, after getting a backstory in place that makes sense.

If you are looking for suggestions on how, you might leave it at the one power set. You have a good number of versatile dice in there, especially once you get Ultron's expertises on there, so you've got a playstyle where you don't throw a lot of dice but they're usually pretty big ones. Maybe your weapons systems are offline after being launched into space?

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 17, 2017

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I thought I would go with someone a bit more traditional, who nevertheless can hang with the weirdo's too. That's right, it's your friend and mine, your hero,
The Incredible Flamin' Human Torch!

Affiliation: Solo D6, Buddy D8, Group D10

Distinctions: Hotheaded Hero, Never Grows Up, Shameless Flirt

Powerset: Fire Master D10, Supersonic Flight D10, Fire Blast D10
SFX: Area Attack. Target multiple opponents. For every additional target, add d6 to your pool and keep +1 effect die.
SFX: Fiery Body. On a successful reaction against a physical attack action, inflict physical stress with your effect die at no PP cost or step up +1 for 1 PP.
SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 PP to ignore stress or trauma from fire, heat, or cold.
SFX: Multipower. Use two or more Flame On! powers in your dice pool, at –1 step for each additional power.
SFX: Nova Flame. Step up or double your Flame On! powers for that Scene, or spend 1 PP to do both. Take second-highest rolling die of each subsequent action or
reaction as physical stress.
Limit: Extinguished. Shutdown all Flame On! powers vs. flame-retardant attack and gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.

Specialties: Cosmic Expert D8, Vehicles Expert D8, Tech Expert D8

Milestones:
On Vacation, you are in space on a break from the drama of Earth Life, and you mean to see the sights
1 XP when you go out of your way to see a scenic destination or tourist spot
3 XP when your pursuit of a good time puts yourself or your team in daner
10 XP when you put aside your desire to have fun to become the serious man Reed always told you to be, or when you convince your team to abandon a serious responsibility to go on a road trip.

Dangerous Love
1 XP when you choose to flirt with a non-heroic Watcher character.
3 XP when your heroic activities put your chosen character in danger, or your commitment to your chosen character puts your team in danger.
10 XP when your involvement with your chosen character changes them irreversibly, or you break off your relationship in order to protect your chosen character.

Earth is too full of a drama these days. The Heroes seem to be punching each other more often then they are the bad guys! Everyone is paranoid about someone being a skrull, or brainwashed, or from an alternate timeline that when you slip up and forget your sister's birthday you get interrogated by Nick Fury! No, Earth is decidedly no time for a good time. So Johnny Storm decided to take a break. After convincing Ice Man that doing some time on the Fantastic Four would do his reputation and that of all mutants some good Johnny borrowed one of Reeds ships and took off to Space. Finally, see some sights without his brother in law wanting to stop and investigate every meteor they passed. And hey, Johnny's always heard that Xandar has some beautiful monuments and women, so why not check that out. Besides it's the home of the Nova Corps, so even if it is dullsville there should be some nice peace and quiet.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

I was not always as I am now, though I am sure you already know that. Once, before the...incident, I was Martin Preston - the greatest actor in the world - with a career spanning three decades and countless films. At the top of my game, with incredible good looks He didn't look a day over 50, I swear! and an immaculate physique *snort* Sure thing, Marty. I had found myself in charge of my own studio, as well. I was one of the most powerful and influential men on the west coast. But it all collapsed around me in one single night when, having lost entirely too much money and having had entirely too much to drink, my Porsche wound up falling fifty feet and turning over in the ravine.

My arm was torn away instantly in the crash, and I could see my career slipping away with it. Maimed, I spent weeks in despair. the rest of my body was broken and as shattered as my mind. The money I'd lost gambling could not be replaced now, and my medical costs and debts spiraled out of control as I sought out alternative solutions in cybernetics and bioengineering. Experimental treatments all came to naught, however, and soon I was left to seek out...alternative medicines.

I traveled to distant lands, in search of ancient wisdom. Eventually, after months on my quest, I found a man who offered to help me. He showed me proof that he could restore my limb and return my body to its pristine condition. Desperate, I agreed, pledging that I would pay any price! I would come to find in time that the price was far, far higher than I expected. The stranger began to laugh as he grew to massive proportions, my surroundings melting away and revealing a hellscape. The stranger was none other than Mephisto himself, the lord of lies! My remaining limbs were torn from my body by the stranger, and a hole ripped in my chest. From the cavity, fire and brimstone began to pour out uncontrollably. In the place of my limbs, demonic entities attached themselves to my body.

Hell yeah, finally the story starts getting good!

The cavity in my chest was now a portal to Hell itself, and my limbs were replaced by horrible, talkative little trolls that never give me a moment's peace. Yeah, you don't have to floss us, Marty. Who got the short end of this stick? My life had one purpose now - to study the mystic arts and accumulate more power to myself! This was the death of Martin Preston, and the birth of Master Pandemonium!

Mephisto's curses would be the start of my new life, giving me insights into the world of magic that would have taken me a lifetime without demonic aid. My quest to become the next Sorcerer Supreme is afoot - only by amassing my own magical abilities can I hope to free myself of Mephisto's influence and become my own man once again. to this end, I have made my end to the far end of the cosmos, searching the universe far and wide for artifacts and knowledge long forgotten to all others so that I may kill Stephen Strange and take my rightful place in his seat of power.

MASTER PANDEMONIUM
Martin Preston

Affiliations

Solo D6
Buddy D8
Team D10

Distinctions

Demonic Minions
Overseen by Azmodeus
Pawn of Mephisto

INFERNAL ENHANCEMENTS
Enhanced Durability d8
Enhanced Reflexes d8
Enhanced Strength d8
Superhuman Stamina d10
Hellfire Blast d8
Sorcery Master d10

SFX: Abode of Demons - When creating demonic minion-based assets or resources add a d6 and step up your effect die.

SFX: Demonic Hordes - You may split an effect die used to create demonic minion-based assets, resources, or reinforcements into two dice stepped back by -1 or three dice stepped back by -2.

SFX: Demonic Limbs - On a successful reaction to a physical attack action, create an Infernal Enhancements stunt, or step up an Infernal Enhancements power until used in an action.

SFX: Strategic Sacrifice - Spend a demonic minion resource or asset die to ignore physical stress, unless caused by holy relics or divine powers.

Limit: Demonic Pact - If a pool includes an Infernal Enhancements power, both 1s and 2s on those dice count as opportunities, but only 1s are excluded from being used for totals or effect dice.

Limit: Sold Soul - Step up any stress taken from holy relics and divine powers to gain 1 PP.

Limit: Minds of Their Own - Change any INFERNAL ENHANCEMENTS power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.

PENDANT OF AZMODEUS

Teleport d10
Flight d6
Mystic Senses d8
Mystic Shield d8
Mystic Blast d8

SFX: Second Chance - Spend 1 PP to add Mystic Senses (or step up if already in your pool) and reroll all dice on a reaction.

Limit: Bound Artifact - The Pendant of Azmodeus counts as a D10 mystic resource belonging to Mephisto. When traded or summoned, add a D8 to the doom pool.

Limit: Gear - Shutdown Pendant of Azmodeus to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover.

Limit: Infernal Bonds - Teleport cannot be used to enter Heaven, divine realms, or holy ground.

Specialties

Acrobatics Expert d8
Media Master d10
Mystic Master d10
Crime Expert d8
Business Expert d8
Menace Expert d8

Milestones

An Icy Relationship
1xp - When you first have issues with your demonic limbs turning against you or preventing you from being taken as seriously as you desire
3xp - When you attempt to banish or kill your demonic limbs, or when they attempt to destroy you
10xp - When you finally free yourself of Mephisto's curse, or when you and your demonic limbs manage to find common ground at last

To Be Supreme!
1xp - When you gain information on a way to improve your sorcery skills, or when you hear of a cosmic artifact that may increase your abilities
3xp - When you defeat a mystic enemy, or when you get compliments on your vast knowledge and abilities from a fellow sorcerer
10xp - When you either become the new Sorcerer Supreme, or when another sorcerer steals your destiny from you

Let me know if there's anything you want me to adjust on here. The datafile was adapted from a watcher file I found on the mhr fan wiki, tried to make sure it's not too over the top but I know it has a lot of SFX and Limit insanity. As for the baby/demon hands, I'm going for them essentially being Crow and Servo to my Joel/Mike. Martin wants so badly to be dramatic and overwrought, and his hands just will not let him.

Lager fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 17, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ibntumart posted:

Her tweets were fun, but I couldn't help but wonder what her phone's roaming charges must have been.

Cosmic in scope, I would imagine.

The tweets are probably one of my favorite things I've done on SA but trying to ape Adam Warren's writing style is slightly exhausting.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

How does Master Pandemonium wipe his rear end? If I had mouths on my hands I'd probably drag my rear end around on the ground like a dog.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Nova, aka Mike Tyson

One of the greatest boxers of modern times and the former heavy weight champion of the world, Mike Tyson was dismissed from the sport of boxing for his coarse language, rambling and inhuman threats, and straight up animalistic behavior. With his free time, he turned his time and wealth towards the adoption of a young chinese orphan, and in time, the solving of mysteries and crimes for those in the greater Las Vegas area. Mike has fought aliens, daemons, and has watched his best friend be transformed into a pigeon by dark magicks beyond his understanding. In the face of it all, he has remained stout hearted and blissfully ignorant of the great danger and damage he has caused by simply beating everything poo poo out of everything that came his way.

And then, one fateful day, while he tended to his beloved pigeons, he watched in awe as a star streaked across the sky, and in his heart he wished that he could do more than just solve mysteries for the people of Las Vegas, that maybe, just maybe, he could solve mysteries for people in New York or something. His wish was granted as the star drew closer and eventually crashed into his swimming pool, cracking the concrete beneath and causing the water to drain.

Leaping into the pool, he found a man in a tattered black and gold uniform, bleeding grievously form numerous wounds. While his daughter rushed to call the hospital and the foppish ghost of a frenchman lamented the horrors before him, Mike found his interest drawn to the poor fellow's back and red helmet, and after a moment of struggling with the groaning man, he was able to tear the helmet from his clutches. "Man, what a cool helmet. Hey, Marcus, do I look like some kinda mexican wrestler now, one of those lucky doors?"

But before the ghost could reply, Mike had donned the helmet, and in a brilliant flash, was engulfed in a tremendous gulf of blue energy. Mike seemed nonplussed by the events, trying to talk in mangled Spanish, before rocketing into the heavens into the black depths of space towards his new existence among the stars, hurtling through the void to the headquarters of the Nova Corps.

Now, Mike finds himself wielding a mighty cosmic power that he doesn't understand, though it lets him fly and he can now solve mysteries in space! As he always says, "When I became heavyweight champion of the world, it was my dream that an astronaut might take me to other worlds, for me to be heavyweight champion of those worlds, too. I love astronauts." He pauses. "So why am I killing astronauts?"

AFFILIATIONS
Team D10
Buddy D8
Solo D6

DISTINCTIONS
Not The Brightest Knife In The Tool Shed
Punches Solve All Of Life's Mysteries
With Great Power Comes Absolutely No Responsibility

BLACK NOVA HELMET
Enhanced Senses D8
Enhanced Durability D8
Gravimetric Blasts D8
Psychic Resilience D8
Supersonic Flight D10

SFX: Area Attack. When using Gravimetric Blasts against multiple targets, add a D6 for each additional target and keep an additional effect die.
SFX: Gravimetric Blast. Step up or double Gravimetric Blasts for one action or spend 1 PP for both. Shutdown Gravimetric Blast. Activate an opportunity to recover the power.
SFX: Multipower. Add more than one BLACK NOVA HELMET power die to your pool. Step back each die in your pool once for each die beyond the first.
SFX: Immunity. Spend 1 PP to avoid stress, trauma, or complications from radiation or vacuum.
Limit: Is this magic? Gain 1 PP and turn Gravimetric Blasts or Supersonic Flight into a complication. Activate an opportunity or spend 1 PP to remove the complication.
Limit: Memories of Nova Past. Gain 1 PP and create a complication based on one of your specialties for the current action scene for being confused by the voices from the helmet. Test against the doom pool or activate an opportunity to remove the complication.
Limit: Gear. Shut down BLACK NOVA HELMET to gain 1 PP. Take an action versus the doom pool to recover BLACK NOVA HELMET.

FORMER HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP
Superhuman Strength D10
Superhuman Stamina D10
Enhanced Reflexes D8
Enhanced Speed D8

SFX: Counter-Punch. On a reaction against a physical action attack, inflict physical stress with your effect die at no PP cost or spend a PP to step it up by +1.
SFX: Fight or Flight! Instead of spending 1 PP, add a D6 to the doom pool to create a FORMER HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP stunt.
SFX: My Mystery Team! Spend 1 PP to take physical stress intended for a nearby ally.
Limit: Exhausted. Shutdown any FORMER HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMP power and gain 1 PP. Recover power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene

SPECIALITIES
Combat Master D10
Menace Master D10
Crime Expert D8
Business Expert D8

MILESTONES

Discombobulatingly Devastating
1xp - when you first deal physical stress to a villain with just FORMER HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION powers
3xp - when you attempt to solve a problem with violence when it isn't necessary, or when you forgoe violence when it is very obviously necessary
10xp - when you defeat a villain with at least one d12 in a powerpool without the use of the BLACK NOVA HELMET, or when you defeat a villain with at least one d12 in a power pool after FORMER HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION has been shutdown due to the Exhaustion limit

"I've killed ten astronauts, Marcus."
1xp - when you are questioned on your connections to the Nova Corp
3xp - when you activate any of the BLACK NOVA HELMET limits in front of a legitimate member of the Nova Corp
10xp - when you finally become an official member of the Nova Corps, or become a nemesis to them for refusing to surrender the Supernova helmet

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 19, 2017

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
I also have Iron Mike (Mike Tyson in powered armor) and Iron Mike (Mike Tyson after punching a dragon in the heart)

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Can you work in the phrases "discombobulatingly devastating" and "I want to eat his children" please?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Can you work in the phrases "discombobulatingly devastating" and "I want to eat his children" please?

Well you just gave me the name for one of my milestones.

e: I could use some ideas on the 10 XP trigger for my second milestone and some feedback on the first one. I want the second one to be all about Mike loving up with the usage of his Nova powers, and the first to be about Mike using his actual god given abilities with him leaning towards focusing on that or actually using the Nova powers correctly.

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 17, 2017

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

How does Master Pandemonium wipe his rear end? If I had mouths on my hands I'd probably drag my rear end around on the ground like a dog.

I don't think he actually has a functional digestive system any longer. The massive portal to Hell in his torso probably means that everything he eats just gets sent directly to the pit. I like to think that someday Ghost Rider or Hellstrom will find a massive pile of rotting, half-masticated food sitting in the middle of Hell.

Failing that, I figure he uses a bidet.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

He definitely eats

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

He eats, yeah, but whether he digests is another issue. Fortunately, I don't think anyone's ever done a picture of Master P on the can. Annihilus, on the other hand...

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!
Look, sometimes you just want a break from your normal life. Some people go on vacation, some people on sabbatical, but everyone wants to sometimes kick out the old and bring in the new. Now, traditionally, you wouldn't jump on a spaceship with some friends and manage to accidentally start what people on Earth would probably call an intergalactic law practice. Who am I?

Better known as She-Hulk. The Green Law Machine. Etcetera. I brought a few of these suits and a few of the spandex ones, not really sure which I need in each situation. Not like I can't fight like this anyways. Cosmic Law has a strong undercurrent of violence solving problems. I'm pretty good at violence. I just blend all my superheroics with my lawyering, as needed, and sometimes really good things happen. Or at least, really bad things don't. Out here in the cosmos, the stakes are higher but that won't stop me.

Look, I'm not made of cosmic rays, I can't destroy a planet single-handed. Not even sure if I can legally drive my own spaceship. But if you need legal representation, or your planet saved, you know who to call!

quote:

Name: She-Hulk, Cosmic Attorney At Law
AKA Jennifer Walters

Affiliations: Solo d8, Buddy d6, Team d10

Distinctions: Crusading Attorney, Impulsive, Jade Giantess

Powers:

Gamma-Irradiated Blood
Godlike Strength d12/Superhuman Durability d10/Superhuman Stamina d10/Leaping d8

SFX: Area Attack. Against multiple targets, for every additional target add a d6 and keep an additional effect die.
SFX: Break the Fourth Wall. When one of your opportunities is activated to add a d6 to the doom pool, replace it with a d4. Spend 1 PP to do this to an existing d6 in the doom pool.
SFX: Collateral Damage. Add a d6 to the doom pool to step up or double a Gamma- Irradiated Blood power.
SFX: Lose Yourself. Step up or double a Gamma-Irradiated Blood power for your next action and take d6 emotional stress.
Limit: Puny Human. Shutdown Gamma-Irradiated Blood to gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity to recover or during a Transition Scene.

Specialties:
Combat Expert d8/Cosmic Expert d8/Crime Master d10/Vehicle Expert d8

Milestones:

Girls Just Want To Have Fun

1 XP when you name another character as a former romantic partner or reference some wild times you had.
3 XP when you help another character recover mental or emotional stress, or recover your own mental or emotional stress by flirting, partying, or socializing.
10 XP when you get serious with a romantic partner or break off a relationship to maintain your independence.

Objection!
1 XP when you use your legal expertise to aid another character.
3 XP when you agree to defend someone in court, regardless of guilt or innocence.
10 XP when you defend a law or regulation in court, despite your personal feelings, or give up being an attorney in order to oppose it.

-----

WIP notes: Maybe going to spend some more time on the intro, thinking to maybe swap out or edit Objection to fit better with the general gist. Also, may add a weak Weapon Power Set for a little more oomph but is mechanically mostly there.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 19, 2017

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

The Silver Goblin, Herald of Galactus

What do you do when a cosmic being, a devourer of worlds older than the universe itself, comes knocking? What do you say when this thing, this god, turns its attention to you and offers you a job tracking down planets for it to consume in return for infinite cosmic power? I'll tell you what I said. I said, "Where do I sign?"

And sign I did. Suddenly New York and Spiderman are the last thing I need to worry about. Hell, Earth goes on the backburner. For the first time I tasted REAL power. The cosmos calls, and I have worlds to find. And for every one that I funnel into Galactus's maw, I find another willing to pay me to point the world-eater the other way. Kingsley Fashion Industries, now with locations across six galaxies! Galactus doesn't mind; I keep him well fed. And if you're wondering what world wouldn't pay to avoid destruction, well, the price does tend to vary depending on how recently Galactus has fed, and if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. Not my fault, it's simply the nature of supply and demand. I'm certainly not going to risk Galactus's wrath over a few petty little civilizations unless the reward outweighs the risk. I rather like my brain un-scrambled, thank you very much.

That's not to say there aren't a few... complications. Something about the Goblin Formula seems to be interacting poorly with the Power Cosmic. Namely, when I channel it directly, I can't always stop. And while that's not necessarily always a problem, sometimes I don't want to be unleashing an endless beam of destruction, a flood of energy far beyond my control. And at other times, I can scarcely tap into the power, as though I've somehow exhausted what should be an infinite font of energy. And as for the Goblin Gear, well, the simple fact of the matter is that I have the same trouble. The power flowing through my glider or weapons will suddenly turn against me and lash out. Galactus is no help at all, not that I'm surprised. From his perspective, even his Heralds' complaints must seem like those of gnats. I'll have to learn to control this myself. And if I can't, then perhaps I'll have to quit and return to my roots before I accidentally destroy myself. I know all too well what's become of so many of Galactus's OTHER Heralds. And to tell the truth, I almost miss that damned Spider-man. Simpler times.

Times before this damned Annihilation Wave nonsense, anyway. Well, if they think they can go around destroying worlds and threatening Galactus himself, they've got another thing coming. I have a bottom line to protect.

pre:
Name: The Silver Goblin / Roderick Kingsley (Public)

Affiliations: Solo d10, Buddy d6, Team d8

Distinctions: 

Herald of Galactus
Raging Egotist
Greedy Industrialist

Powers:

The Goblin Cosmic
Power Blast d12, Godlike Stamina d12, Superhuman Reflexes d10, Superhuman Strength d10, Superhuman Durability d10, Enhanced Speed d8, Enhanced Senses d8

SFX: Area Attack- Add a D6 and keep an additional effect die for each additional target
SFX: Multipower- Use 2 or more TGC powers in a single dice pool at -1 step per power beyond the first.
SFX: Invulnerable- Spend 1 PP to ignore Physical Stress or Trauma.
SFX: Immunity- Spend 1 PP to ignore stress, trauma, or complications from radiation or vacuum.
SFX: Healing- Spend 1 PP to recover your or another person’s physical stress and step back your or the other person’s physical trauma by –1.
Limit: Exhausted- Shutdown any TGC power and gain 1 PP. Recover the power by activating an opportunity or during a Transition Scene.
Limit: Power Overwhelming- Count 1s and 2s as Opportunities when using Power Blast.
Limit: Uncontrollable Torrent- Change Power Blast into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.

Intergalactic Goblin Gear
Space Flight d12, Weapons d10, Electrical Blast d8

SFX: Goblin Glider- On a successful reaction roll that includes Space Flight, can step back one of the opponent's dice by -1 and take it as an IGG stunt.
SFX: Bag of Tricks- Add a d6 and step up effect die by +1 when inflicting immobilizing, hallucinogenic, or vision-obscuring complications on a target.
SFX: Pumpkin Bombs- Step up or double Weapons for one action. If it fails, add a d10 to the Doom Pool.
Limit: Gear- Shutdown any IGG power and gain 1 PP. Take an action vs the doom pool to recover.
Limit: Cosmic Power, Mortal Machines- Change any IGG power into a complication and gain 1 PP. Activate an opportunity or remove the complication to recover the power.

Specialties:

Acrobatics Master d10
Business Master d10
Combat Master d10
Cosmic Expert d8
Crime Expert d8
Menace Master d10
Science Expert d8
Tech Expert d8

Milestones:

Herald of Destruction

1 XP when your ties to a planet-eating superbeing or your difficulties controlling your powers come up negatively.
3 XP when one of your powers is turned into a complication.
10 XP when you gain full control over your cosmic powers, or when you decide the power isn't worth the trouble, cast off the mantle of Herald, and return to being Hobgoblin.

Step Three: Profit

1 XP when your business instincts apply to a non-business situation.
3 XP when a Business asset or resource you created is lost.
10 XP when you make a big enough business deal to be able to retire, or if you spend all of your money financing opposition to the Annihilation Wave.

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 19, 2017

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

In case Ultron is not a good submission, here's a backup.

An intergalactic incident? The UN needs a presence, a representative from earth. One man was not only qualified, but already close enough to get there in time.

A message appears on the main screen of Starcore-S Interstellar Research Vessel. The captain reads, nods, cracks his knuckles and keys in the new destination.

That third Nobel prize would have to wait, as Dr. Peter Corbeau, UN Space Abassador was needed in Andromeda.

quote:

Affiliation
Solo D6
Buddy D8
Team D10

Distinction
Polymath
UN Diplomat
Astrophysicist

Power Set
Stark tech space gear
A modular, hard-shelled space suit, with integrated sensor array, and atomic rearranger. Meant for a science expedition, for experiments in deep space.

Cybernetic senses D10
Enhanced durability D8
Transmutation D10
Mag-lev hover boots D6

SFX: Experimental Settings.
Step up or double any Scientist power for one action. If that action fails, add a die to doom pool equal to the normal rating of that power die.

SFX: Better Living Through Science.
When making a Cosmic or Science resource on an opportunity, step that resource up and recover emotional or mental stress equal to die size.

SFX: Energy Redirection.
On a successful reaction against an energy-based action, convert your opponent’s effect die into a Scientist stunt or step up a Scientist power until used in an action. If opponent’s action succeeds, spend 1 PP to use this SFX.

Limit: A Scientist Is Only as Good as His Tools.
Shutdown Stark tech space gear to gain 1 PP. Take an action vs. the doom pool to recover Stark tech space gear.

Cosmic Master
Science Master
Vehicle Master
Psych Expert
Tech Expert

Milestones
Spaceship Captain
1 XP when you give orders to someone under your command.
3 XP when you give an order that sends your ship into direct danger.
10 XP when you abandon ship, or go down with the ship.

Nobel Peace Prize
1 XP when you tell someone unfriendly that you only want to talk.
3 XP when you forge an alliance between two sides in conflict.
10 XP when you break an alliance to declare war, or when the alliance is broken by war being declared on you.

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 21, 2017

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

John Dyne posted:

Well you just gave me the name for one of my milestones.

e: I could use some ideas on the 10 XP trigger for my second milestone and some feedback on the first one. I want the second one to be all about Mike loving up with the usage of his Nova powers, and the first to be about Mike using his actual god given abilities with him leaning towards focusing on that or actually using the Nova powers correctly.

Well, you could use something about interacting with the Nova Corps, since you do have their stuff and all

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Gonna post this half as a backup and half because I've been toying with it for a few days and wanted to share.

Hey, Genos, what are you doing with that monkey's paw?

...Hey, this doesn't look like City Z. Or even City A. In fact, it doesn't much look like any city I know.

Xandar? Where's that? I'll need a way to get in touch with the Hero Organization.

The "Nova Corps" you say? Well, it couldn't hurt to take a look.

Name: Saitama, The One Punch Man
Affiliations: D8 Solo, D10 Buddy, D6 Team
Distinctions:
The Strongest Hero
Caped Baldy
What Now?

Strength and Conditioning Training
D12 Godlike Strength, D12 Godlike Speed, D12 Godlike Stamina, D12 Godlike Durability, D12 Space Leaping
SFX
Invulnerability: Spend 1 PP to ignore any physical stress
At Least Nobody Died: Instead of spending 1 PP, add d6 to the doom pool to create a stunt.
Regular Punch: Step up physical stress on attacks with a D12 effect by +1
Sequential Regular Punches: Split GODLIKE STRENGTH into 2d10, 3d8 or 4d6
Two-handed Sequential Regular Punches: For each enemy, add a D6 and keep an extra effect die.
Serious Punch: Increase GODLIKE STRENGTH to 3d12 and use three dice for the target number.
Limit
Only One Punch?: When defeating an enemy, replace your emotional stress die with their highest die if it is higher than your current value
It's Time for Dinner: After using Serious Punch, Saitama leaves the battle
But Conditioning is all I Have!: When lending D12 COMBAT GRANDMASTER to an ally, step down the result -1

D12 Combat Grandmaster

A Hero For Fun
You've worked out for years to become the most powerful hero alive! But can you make an impression on people when other heroes are so much flashier?

1 XP the first time in a scene you use your strength die
3 XP when you assist another character using your combat expertise.
10 XP when you use your full strength to win the love of the public, or when you allow others to take the credit so they don't look bad

Oh Dear God the Ennui
Some people work their whole lives and never achieve their dreams. But what happens when you get what you have nothing left to work toward?

1 XP when you take emotional or mental stress
3 XP when you defeat an enemy in ONE PUNCH
10 XP when you find an enemy who can match you in combat, or when you give up on training.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 21, 2017

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Hey, I tried my best to mangle the actual Silver Surfer datafile into something Gobliny and also something slightly less horribly game-breakingly powerful. Let me know if I need to tone it down some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Some questions and thoughts on submissions so far.

Retro Futurist/Ghost Rider

Three power sets seems a bit much, especially since the third one is basically a slightly weaker version of the second. Also, the Mephisto milestone probably should get switched out for something more likely to come up in play. Other than that, I love the idea of cosmic Ghost Rider. Just keep in mind the Annihilation wave hasn't happened yet, so he'll be out there for unrelated vengeance infliction duties first.

Defiance Industries/Doctor Doom and Saitama

Unwilling Xandar exile Doom looks good. I can easily imagine him taking on the Annihilation wave and trying to shoehorn himself in as Grand Admiral Doom of the coalition of armies in its wake. Plus him and Johnny Storm having to be on the same side would be fun to watch.

As for Saitama... I don't like anime much and it doesn't like me, but dammit that is one punchy power set. And D12 Space Leaping. I have to see that in play sometime. I need to run the decidedly less serious cosmic game at some point....

WereGoat/Ultron and Dr. Peter Corbeau

Digging the Ultron idea, but my one question is what its motivation will be for sticking around to help everyone against Annihilus (who might be perfectly happy to have an amoral killer robot on his crew, like a super scowly HK-47). I could always have the Nova Corps put in some sort of "Don't Be Evil (US Trademark Law Doesn't Operate in Intergalactic Space, Suck it Google)" microchip installed, but a mind-controlled PC is probably not the best option.

Absolutely love seeing Hulk's old roomie. My only suggestion is to rethink having only a vehicle-related power set. Especially as vehicles in this Event are their own thing---you could still tool around in the Starcore-S without having it as a power set. As could anyone who boarded and hijacked it, not that you have any reason to think that would happen, of course.

Ferrosol/Loki

No problem with the datafile, so just looking forward to the write-up of what Loki is up to tooling around the galaxy.

neaden/Human Torch

Love the justification for his seeing the galactic sights and the milestones work, too. I look forward to the inevitable whirlwind romance and heartbreak with the Worldmind.

Lager/Master Pandemonium

Love the write-up. You may have written up the one character whom Annihilus *won't* try to steal powers from.

John Dyne/Nova Tyson

To be honest, kind of iffy on the superhero Tyson. I laughed, but they cross my line of what may be too silly for this game (and yes, I write that while also considering a man with demon baby arms and a fiery starhole in his chest). Plus it's a real world guy who has had some real serious issues with drugs, booze, and grappling with anger issues... not sure I will be able navigate the line between fun game and just being mean here.

thelazyblank/She-Hulk

I enjoyed Slott's She-Hulk and now I can't escape the image of Walters trying to stop Annihilus via legal machinations. Loving the idea of a galactic law practice for a bored superhero lawyer.

Dachshundofdoom/Silver Goblin
edit: Posted without seeing your update. Further comments en route!

The Goblinized Power Cosmic power set looks good. The milestones and backstory fit well, too.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 19, 2017

• Locked thread