Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Somehow I don't think Satine would care for her sister taking up rulership of a militarised Mandalore in her name.

I harped on a bit about this last season, but I found the pacifist take on the mandalorians interesting and don't really care about their proud warrior traditions. That said, I kind of hope when the gang get back to Hera she's like "Great you're back. Anyway, A New Hope happened while you were on mandalore."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Roach Warehouse posted:

Somehow I don't think Satine would care for her sister taking up rulership of a militarised Mandalore in her name.

I harped on a bit about this last season, but I found the pacifist take on the mandalorians interesting and don't really care about their proud warrior traditions. That said, I kind of hope when the gang get back to Hera she's like "Great you're back. Anyway, A New Hope happened while you were on mandalore."

We're still pre-Rogue One at the moment though, I believe?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Yeah, no Death Star test quite yet. Although the final season of the show just being a huge waste of time on Mandalore while Luke Skywalker wrecks everybody's poo poo off screen would be incredibly hilarious.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

Yeah, no Death Star test quite yet. Although the final season of the show just being a huge waste of time on Mandalore while Luke Skywalker wrecks everybody's poo poo off screen would be incredibly hilarious.

The short time on Mandalore turns out to be around twenty years for the rest of the Galaxy and now the Ghost crew has to puzzle out what the heck happened

Meanwhile, Chopper is even more hysterical than usual due to his plans for the First Order getting thrown out of whack thanks to the time skip and he becomes inconsolable with all the carnage he missed out on

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Decent episodes but holy lord I'm sick of Mandalorian poo poo, it's always the exact same thing.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I'm a huge fan of this show but these episodes really left me cold. The dialogue was way past hokey and cliched (I seriously couldn't believe Henry Gilroy, who's been one of the most consistent writers on the show, was the name attached to this), they went a little too wacky with Ezra, and the character stuff with Sabine's family felt unearned to me. Such a huge downturn from Trials of the Darksaber.

Can't complain about Joel Aron's effects work, though. He always delivers, particularly on capital ship explosions.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I should note when Kanan and Hera were talking. I completely made out Choppers wargles at that scene. I am near sure Chopper said "Just gently caress already."

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Strangely, this two parter felt completely boring but also completely rushed. There’s clearly half a seasons worth of character development that’s supposed to take place that are crammed into these two.

“My father is a great symbol.”
“My father is free. But now my past is coming back to haunt me.”
“Everyone hates me for my past.” “Everyone is now mostly over it.”
“You deserve this sword.” “Keep it.” “No, take it.” “Okay.”
“What about my father again?”

I just kinda hope this was to wrap up all the mandalore stuff quickly so they can move on to more Rebellion stuff.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Thwomp posted:

Strangely, this two parter felt completely boring but also completely rushed. There’s clearly half a seasons worth of character development that’s supposed to take place that are crammed into these two.

“My father is a great symbol.”
“My father is free. But now my past is coming back to haunt me.”
“Everyone hates me for my past.” “Everyone is now mostly over it.”
“You deserve this sword.” “Keep it.” “No, take it.” “Okay.”
“What about my father again?”

I just kinda hope this was to wrap up all the mandalore stuff quickly so they can move on to more Rebellion stuff.

I'd say so, original plan was probably for Sabine to become leader of Mandalore/Actual Mandalore. Why learn how to fight with the Darksabre with semi-Jedi training if you're just going to fob it off on the next person you see?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Welp, that was very bad.

Mandalorians seem very limited in terms of what the writers are willing to do with them so all their episodes are the same paint-by-numbers poo poo.

Sabine is damaged as a character because she has both too little and too much going on in her background. It's like they realize it doesn't work so they keep adding more poo poo to try and make it work. In the team, we have a pilot/leader, Jedi, street urchin with a heart of gold turned Jedi apprentice, stoic warrior with tortured past, psychotic robot/comic relief and . . . Ex-Imperial officer-in-training/princess/savior-of-her-people/Wait-nevermind/artist/genius weapons engineer/age-inappropriate-love-interest.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Where does the age inappropriate bit come from? Ezra is 18 and Sabine is 20

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Ezra's voice is cracking and he's going through puberty at 18? Sabine is an ex officer at 20?

That doesn't add up.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Sabine's an ex-cadet officer. She deserted the academy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Shbobdb posted:

Ezra's voice is cracking and he's going through puberty at 18? Sabine is an ex officer at 20?

That doesn't add up.

Sabine was never an officer. She was a Imperial Cadet that dropped out and fled.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Don't forget her bounty hunter phase

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MonsterEnvy posted:

I should note when Kanan and Hera were talking. I completely made out Choppers wargles at that scene. I am near sure Chopper said "Just gently caress already."

See, this is bugging me. I saw Dave Filoni speak at Celebration earlier in the year, and he said that people were always asking about the romance between Kanan and Hera, but that he has never written anything like that between them. And he loved that people read it that way, because it proves you don't have to write a romance for people to see it, or for it to even actually exist on it's own.

Clearly in the last season, he's just saying, "Oh gently caress it, I'll give them what they want."

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

See, this is bugging me. I saw Dave Filoni speak at Celebration earlier in the year, and he said that people were always asking about the romance between Kanan and Hera, but that he has never written anything like that between them. And he loved that people read it that way, because it proves you don't have to write a romance for people to see it, or for it to even actually exist on it's own.

Clearly in the last season, he's just saying, "Oh gently caress it, I'll give them what they want."

Eh? I mean in the shorts for the first season they refer to each other as “Love”.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

site posted:

Don't forget her bounty hunter phase

I'm sure there are a few more phases I'm forgetting to her jumble of a backstory.

It's too bad, the design is cool.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

MonsterEnvy posted:

Her last appearance in Clone Wars was after her Boss Pre Vizsla backstabbed Maul after Maul helped put Vizsla's group in charge of Mandalore. Maul and Vizsla had their duel with the terms being the forces of the loser would follow. Bo-Katan betrayed the agreement and decided to fight against Maul. Freeing her sister to help her avenge Vizsla.

Nothing really made a her a good guy. The fact she was willing to ignore her Mandalorian honor once Vizsla lost kind of makes her worse. She only freed her sister whom she helped imprison cause she felt it would help her revenge scheme.

She was meant to appear again, one of the story lines for the unaired final season of Clone Wars was about the Siege of Mandalore in pursuit of Maul, which would have led to a series finale where Rex and Ahsoka defied Order 66, and both they and Maul escaped as Mandalore found itself under surprise imperial occupation. No doubt they had some character development in plan for Bo, since it was planned for her to be the one requesting Republic aide.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A clip from the next episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1-KVJ7IkyU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Forest sounds a lot better this time around.

Ghosts of Geonosis was weird to watch since his voice was so breathy, like he kept running out of breath for his lines

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Eh? I mean in the shorts for the first season they refer to each other as “Love”.

The same short in which Hera calls Kanaan "love" also ends with the Chopper opening the door as Hera compliments Kanaan in a somewhat flirty voice before the the two of them start leaning in to each other in a way that suggests they're about to kiss. The whole thing is revealed a second later to be them fooling Chopper and pretending they didn't know he made the last shot, but it's suggestive regardless. They're both also sexually opposite members of the crew that regularly play paternal roles and because Hera plays a maternal role while Kanaan plays a paternal role it's easy to assume there's possible something there. It doesn't help that Kanaan got rather flustered about meeting Hera's father in a scene that seems almost pulled from a sitcom, where the guy recently hooking up with a girl is nervous about meeting her father and gaining his approval. I believe Kanaan also expresses interest in Hera during his introductory novel, and that Hera recognizes his attraction but rebuffs him because she's committed to the rebellion/cause rather than because of a lack of interest.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They boning on the dl

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kanaan and Hera are totally a thing.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
As boring as the Mandalorians are, their fighters are pretty drat cool. Not really a fan of the bait and switch they pulled with sabines family but it’s not a big deal.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Edit: Herp Derp

Gonz fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Oct 19, 2017

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Literally posted six posts up.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Most of the creative team falls back on "Hera is too busy with the rebellion to be in a romance".

Which I think is Star Wars speak for "Kanan and Hera are Friends with Benefits, and Kanan keeps asking to be more but she shuts that poo poo down".

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Next episode looks cool, from that clip being a bit of politics within the rebellion and the clip at the end of rebels recon showing some action just went down.

Also, somewhat related here is the story trailer for the new Battlefront 2 (no, the second one) which shows a Gozanti cruiser carrying two AT-ATs on Naboo, like in the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNUTWw17rkM

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/dave_filoni/status/921541306391740416

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

People like their mangy mutts with chops

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sounds like the show's moving back to a more conventional airing time of 9pm PT/ET on Mondays. Streaming/digital versions will still be going up at the start of the day.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Just finished the third episode and this is way more like it. Massive improvement over last week.

Edit: And they've uploaded the third episode again instead of the fourth. Kind of getting the impression that Disney doesn't quite know what they're doing with this show anymore.

Edit 2: Same story with the Watch Disney XD app, website and the DirecTV on demand option, at least it's a consistent gently caress up across all platforms?

J33uk fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 23, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nothing on the high seas either.

Came home ready for action and now i have to wait, like a sucker.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Those were two really good episodes. I'm glad Saw's methods are being shown as more effective and we know he's correct. Even if his methods are too immoral. The temptation for most kids shows would be to show that they're not effective. I also really liked Mon Mothma getting called out for relying too much on sympathisers in the senate.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
These two episodes should have been the season openers.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Is anyone else amused by the fact they turned an episode with Death Troopers in it into a comedy?

Was also nice seeing Snoke getting practice for being Supreme Leader in by ordering people around

Doubt he enjoyed slamming into the side of a radar dish though

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, seeing the Death Troopers get clowned on in their first non-Rogue One appearance was kinda sad. They managed to make Vader threatening, why couldn't they have done the same for them?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I thought they looked more composed and competent than regular storm troopers, Ezra, Sabine, and Saw had to work to clown on them, it wasn't just a regular storm trooper sweep. Quick to turn and fire when they opened the door, displayed tactics and critical thinking, way more than any storm trooper ever has.

Vinylshadow posted:

Doubt he enjoyed slamming into the side of a radar dish though

I am beyond certain that Chopper said "I landed on my head :smith:" when Ezra asked him how he was. The bit where he grabbed the green guy by the ears to drag him into line, and then headbutted him, was amazing :allears: Also, did we finally see the end of Brom Titus? His cruiser, and the bridge, looked like it got proper hosed e: Apparently we did, Titus is dead

Also, are we not doing spoilers anymore? Or just for a day?

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Yeah. He dead.

• Locked thread