Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Professor Shark posted:

Stephen's trading his opium addiction for cocaine was both sad and amusing.

Coca leafs isn't the same as cocaine though. It's more like being addicted to super strong coffee or nicotine or using betel nuts, far, far less damaging than opium or cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

builds character posted:

Not as a book. It’s good as a little extra after the series is over, and of course you have to get it. But it’s not a new book.

I never have and don't really plan on reading 21.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Decius posted:

Coca leafs isn't the same as cocaine though. It's more like being addicted to super strong coffee or nicotine or using betel nuts, far, far less damaging than opium or cocaine.

When they are chewed with a little lime they sharpen the mind to a wonderful degree, they induce a sense of well-being and they abolish both hunger and fatigue.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

The book felt like it was almost a "reset" of several plots that had been in the series since the beginning, like Jack's legal and financial issues, Aubrey Senior's death and the resolution to Jack's political issues, leaving Ashgrove.

I also get this when rereading the books. There are echoes throughout of Jack's cycle of wealth and indigence, Stephen's botanising/being refused leave to botanise, and especially in Jacks romantic troubles based on jealousy and Stephen's pursuit of distant or unobtainable women. I don't think it detracts from the emotional impact of the plots, but there definitely is a repeated arc. I think the author just liked the characters too much to simply call their story 'finished' and go write something else. And who can blame him?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

uPen posted:

I never have and don't really plan on reading 21.

As long as I never read 21, the series never really ends and Jack and Stephen are out there sailing along, forever.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Does 21 just abruptly stop?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Professor Shark posted:

Does 21 just abruptly stop?

Yes. It's only a few chapters. O'brien hand wrote all his manuscripts as well, so the last little bit of it is actually just photocopies of his handwritten rough manuscripts complete with little crude drawings and corrections. The writing itself is rough too - it hasn't had the proofreading, and polishing that a finished book would have.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

builds character posted:

When they are chewed with a little lime they sharpen the mind to a wonderful degree, they induce a sense of well-being and they abolish both hunger and fatigue.

That's a small faction of what cocaine does.

The Encyclopedia of Addictive Drugs by Richard Lawrence Miller

I think the first sentence is the important one: Maturin (and like him millions of people every day) is basically drinking beer compared to Cocaine's Everclear.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm at "Treason's Harbor" and when Stephen and Martin are in the diving bell lifting the galley's sunken "treasure", it killed me when they couldn't figure out how to tie the knot on the hook. Stephen's line about not wanting to ask for help "So they don't think I'm not a complete sailor" was so perfect. My wife asked me what was funny and I had to just say "nothing" rather than explain 3000+ pages of leadup.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Holy god Post Captain is long. Introducing Diana and Sophia, going bankrupt, escaping through Spain, the Polychrest and then the Frigate with the bees.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

uPen posted:

Holy god Post Captain is long. Introducing Diana and Sophia, going bankrupt, escaping through Spain, the Polychrest and then the Frigate with the bees.

You are not alone in that view.

https://www.tor.com/2010/10/11/out-of-his-element-patrick-obrians-post-captain/
https://www.tor.com/series/re-reading-patrick-obrians-aubrey-maturin-series/

Having finally finished all* these fantastic books, I can start catching up on what other people think about 'em without worrying about accidentally finding out when someone I like dies.

The most important thing I've got from this thread so far is that anything plot-important re. sailing nerdery was explained to Stephen, which is a brilliant bit of writing craft I never even noticed.

Totally going to re-read at some point too, this time with 'A Sea of Words' on hand, though going in blind with all the nautical gibberish had a certain charm to it.

*Seriously. 20! And only because the author rather inconsiderately died. Has any other series even come close to that and not been utter trash, or completely lost the plot? Wheel of Time is like 13 or something (also kind of trash). And that suffered from author-death issues too come to think of it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That Tor blog series led me to this, which is great:

The Reverse of the Hammock

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Clapping Larry

withak posted:

That's a terrible attempt at aping O'Brian's style, but credit where it is due, 'portable brains' was funny - 'portable soup' was one of the first things I had to look up, but made perfect sense when I did.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So my brother has been getting into the Hornblower series and the Aubrey-Maturin books. I don't know which copies he has so I don't want to grab one for him. Instead, I want to ask you guys if you have any recommendations for books on Thomas Cochrane, the real life captain that Jack Aubrey takes inspiration from. I know a bit about Cochrane and his crazy exploits, but if you guys know any good biographies or history books about him I could get for my brother I'd appreciate it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

xiansi posted:

You are not alone in that view.

https://www.tor.com/2010/10/11/out-of-his-element-patrick-obrians-post-captain/
https://www.tor.com/series/re-reading-patrick-obrians-aubrey-maturin-series/

Having finally finished all* these fantastic books, I can start catching up on what other people think about 'em without worrying about accidentally finding out when someone I like dies.

The most important thing I've got from this thread so far is that anything plot-important re. sailing nerdery was explained to Stephen, which is a brilliant bit of writing craft I never even noticed.

Totally going to re-read at some point too, this time with 'A Sea of Words' on hand, though going in blind with all the nautical gibberish had a certain charm to it.

*Seriously. 20! And only because the author rather inconsiderately died. Has any other series even come close to that and not been utter trash, or completely lost the plot? Wheel of Time is like 13 or something (also kind of trash). And that suffered from author-death issues too come to think of it.

Wheel of time was 14 books, each of them as long as a couple of Aubrey-maturin books. It was also definitely not trash; although the final 3 that were written by Brandon Sanderson definitely didn't have the same prose writing quality as the rest.

As someone who reads a lot of fantasy it seems hilarious to me when someone calls a book like Post Captain long. Post Captain is approx 154k words; The shortest wheel of time book is approx 227k words, and the longest wheel of time book is 394k words.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

So my brother has been getting into the Hornblower series and the Aubrey-Maturin books. I don't know which copies he has so I don't want to grab one for him. Instead, I want to ask you guys if you have any recommendations for books on Thomas Cochrane, the real life captain that Jack Aubrey takes inspiration from. I know a bit about Cochrane and his crazy exploits, but if you guys know any good biographies or history books about him I could get for my brother I'd appreciate it.

Skip his autobiography if you know what's good for you. Short of one memorable incident involving a parrot's talent for mimicking the boatswain's whistle orders resulting in a group of Norwegian matrons being unceremoniously dropped into the sea, he is very light on details involving naval life or his own exploits at sea. His passion seems reserved for his apologetic diatribes which takes up an inordinate amount of space.

I've only read one biography but it was so forgettable I can't even remember the name. I did learn about the Battle of Basque Roads, and once you get a sense of the scale of the ineptitude and mindboggling passivity of Admiral Lord Gambier you start to appreciate why Cochrane felt so embittered and indignant that he was effectively willing to sacrifice his naval career just to oppose a public vote of thanks to Gambier.

To crib a bit from Wikipedia, Napoleon later wrote of the incident:
"Cochrane "could not only have destroyed [the French ships], . . . but he might and would have taken them out, had your admiral supported him as he ought to have done . . . The French admiral was a fool [imbécile], but yours was just as bad."

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Arcsquad12 posted:

I read this one about Cochrane and enjoyed it, but idk where you could find a physical copy https://www.amazon.com/Cochrane-Master-Commander-David-Cordingly-ebook/dp/B00422LERA

This is probably the same book https://www.bookdepository.com/Cochrane-the-Dauntless-David-Cordingly/9780747585459?ref=grid-view&qid=1509202824409&sr=1-1

The Lord Bude posted:

Wheel of time was 14 books, each of them as long as a couple of Aubrey-maturin books. It was also definitely not trash; although the final 3 that were written by Brandon Sanderson definitely didn't have the same prose writing quality as the rest.

As someone who reads a lot of fantasy it seems hilarious to me when someone calls a book like Post Captain long. Post Captain is approx 154k words; The shortest wheel of time book is approx 227k words, and the longest wheel of time book is 394k words.

The Aubrey/Maturin novels always felt really dense to me, giving them a level of attention that I wouldn't necessarily give to a fantasy novel that I may find myself skimming some parts.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

xiansi posted:

Having finally finished all* these fantastic books

Congrats!

I've re-read this series almost 5 times now, and every read through is practically like the first time. You'll always discover something new.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 28, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PerilPastry posted:

Skip his autobiography if you know what's good for you. Short of one memorable incident involving a parrot's talent for mimicking the boatswain's whistle orders resulting in a group of Norwegian matrons being unceremoniously dropped into the sea, he is very light on details involving naval life or his own exploits at sea. His passion seems reserved for his apologetic diatribes which takes up an inordinate amount of space.

I've only read one biography but it was so forgettable I can't even remember the name. I did learn about the Battle of Basque Roads, and once you get a sense of the scale of the ineptitude and mindboggling passivity of Admiral Lord Gambier you start to appreciate why Cochrane felt so embittered and indignant that he was effectively willing to sacrifice his naval career just to oppose a public vote of thanks to Gambier.

To crib a bit from Wikipedia, Napoleon later wrote of the incident:
"Cochrane "could not only have destroyed [the French ships], . . . but he might and would have taken them out, had your admiral supported him as he ought to have done . . . The French admiral was a fool [imbécile], but yours was just as bad."

Imagine how much money that decision personally cost Cochrane. Bringing back a fleet of battleships would have gained him a fortune and likely set all his officers up for life.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

withak posted:

It's a fantastic take on just how formulaic O'Brian's writing is. Though I don't imagine it's intended as such.

Edit - I read the Sharpe novels a few years before the Aubrey-Maturin series. Give me a Sharpe title, and I'll be able to vaguely summarize what happens in it. I'd be able to do the same for AM only insofar as they are all the exact same book.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
lmfao are you really trying to imply these books are MORE formulaic than Sharpe

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

InediblePenguin posted:

lmfao are you really trying to imply these books are MORE formulaic than Sharpe
If by "trying to imply" you mean "really obviously stating in plain text", then sure.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
"Formulaic" implies that the *only* things that happen are according to a formula, I think.

There's a basic plot engine that drives the series, sure -- [everyone's broke and lonely -> go to sea -> get rich -> come home -> gently caress up -> goto start] but what makes the series compelling is how O'Brian rings the changes on that theme.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Also, that's pretty accurate as far as sailors and sea officers go....

E: I mean, there are sea shanties about that exact thing

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yah that describes the sailors in Jack London's nonfiction book about London perfectly.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Xander77 posted:

If by "trying to imply" you mean "really obviously stating in plain text", then sure.

ok lol

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I avoid a lot of posts in this thread, I just wanted to say that Jack's children are hilarious

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Professor Shark posted:

I avoid a lot of posts in this thread, I just wanted to say that Jack's children are hilarious

So is Brigid. I'd love to read a YA series starring Brigid Maturin and George Aubrey adventuring across the post-Napoleonic Wars world.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

uPen posted:

Agreed, I found Post-Captain to be the hardest book to get through. The naval action at the end was one of the best of the series though, and Post Captain and HMS Surprise are really just 2 parts of that Chapter of Jack's life. HMS Surprise was one of my favorite of the series, so you just kinda get through it.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lockback posted:

Agreed, I found Post-Captain to be the hardest book to get through. The naval action at the end was one of the best of the series though, and Post Captain and HMS Surprise are really just 2 parts of that Chapter of Jack's life. HMS Surprise was one of my favorite of the series, so you just kinda get through it.

Holy hell, that bit in HMS Surprise when Jack brings Stephen out of Port Mahon. "tell him that if the commandant is not here in 10 minutes, I will kill him on that machine". The extreme tension and horror of the scene is portrayed so well by the terse writing. It just sort of gets across how disjointed, quick and hard to take in the whole episode was for those involved.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

Holy hell, that bit in HMS Surprise when Jack brings Stephen out of Port Mahon. "tell him that if the commandant is not here in 10 minutes, I will kill him on that machine". The extreme tension and horror of the scene is portrayed so well by the terse writing. It just sort of gets across how disjointed, quick and hard to take in the whole episode was for those involved.

Everything about HMS Surprise is really good. Maturin's short interactions with the Indian girl Dil and the big Naval action near the end are great. I also love how the great duel that is essentially the climax of books 2 and 3 are entirely composed of like 3 paragraphs

It really is fantastic. I feel like it's a high point in the series.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Genghis Cohen posted:

Next few book spoilers

the reader knows he is tortured and generally recovers thanks to being marooned and the characters go on and on about how much better he is, etc. but in surgeons mate O'Brian explicitly describes how Stephen is missing 3 fingernails on his right hand and I just cringe everytime I hear it or think about because :barf:

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Molybdenum posted:

Next few book spoilers

the reader knows he is tortured and generally recovers thanks to being marooned and the characters go on and on about how much better he is, etc. but in surgeons mate O'Brian explicitly describes how Stephen is missing 3 fingernails on his right hand and I just cringe everytime I hear it or think about because :barf:

These books are the only time I have given a poo poo about 'spoilers', so just in case:

Warm climates heal torture wounds! And good old 'sea air' of course.

Also lots of drugs. Like shitloads of drugs. Being totally whacked on opium or coca leaves most of the time probably helps.

And Aubrey gets repeatedly stabbed, shot and generally battered too. You kind of have to suspend disbelief for how much physical damage our heroes can take, though I guess the weird time extension thing that kicks in when O'Brian realises he wants to keep the story going forever doesn't help with that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

xiansi posted:

These books are the only time I have given a poo poo about 'spoilers', so just in case:

Warm climates heal torture wounds! And good old 'sea air' of course.

Also lots of drugs. Like shitloads of drugs. Being totally whacked on opium or coca leaves most of the time probably helps.

And Aubrey gets repeatedly stabbed, shot and generally battered too. You kind of have to suspend disbelief for how much physical damage our heroes can take, though I guess the weird time extension thing that kicks in when O'Brian realises he wants to keep the story going forever doesn't help with that.

No, no, there's an explanation!

quote:

I have a fantastical explanation for this, if anyone would care for it. Padeen, Stephen’s almost mute Irish loblolly boy, is one of the Sidhe, and around him time runs differently.

https://www.tor.com/2010/12/06/around-the-horn-patrick-obrians-the-far-side-of-the-world/

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

xiansi posted:

While I have no source for comparison re: Maturin, Aubrey's injuries throughout the series, and his recovery/continuation of active service, are plausible for the time. For complete length I think the sheer number is probably beyond any historical example, just as his list of single-ship duel victories is - 20 books to fill, after all! However if you look at biographies of some of the most combat experienced officers of the day (in the French Imperial Army as well as the RN) men commonly were sliced up and went back to full health afterwards. If you survived the initial trauma, blood loss and infection, we are mostly talking about simple puncture wounds after all.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Genghis Cohen posted:

That's one of my favorite parts of the whole series. Shivers every time I read it.

"Maragall led Dutourd to the desk, put a pen in his hand. 'He says he cannot,' he reported. 'Says his honour as an officer -- '

'His what?' cried Jack, looking at the thing from which he had unstrapped Stephen."

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

"Formulaic" implies that the *only* things that happen are according to a formula, I think.

There's a basic plot engine that drives the series, sure -- [everyone's broke and lonely -> go to sea -> get rich -> come home -> gently caress up -> goto start] but what makes the series compelling is how O'Brian rings the changes on that theme.

O'Brian also intended each novel to be able to be read standalone. So, certain tropes like Jack's mother in law, Jack's ineptitude at finance, Stephen's ineptitude at sea, Stephen's double life as an agent provocateur, Jack's familiarity with the lower decks, &c, have to be explained or demonstrated, again and again, for the reader who happened to chance upon a single novel in the canon. For the dedicated reader, it's amusing, as O Brian is an excellent writer and researcher.

Can we discuss the funniest quotes in the novel? Just the quotes, no context so no spoilers necessary. From memory:

"Lead on, Macbeth."

"Petrels do not abide the least gaucherie."

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

"If you managed to commit a grave sin between here and the gunroom you have a wonderful capacity for evil."

"You debauched my sloth!"

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

Stephen posted:

A virtuous esculent! Even its boldest detractors, ready to make the most hellish declarations and to swear through a nine-inch plank that the cabbage makes them fart and rumble, cannot deny that it cured their purpurae. Let them rumble till the heavens shake and resound again; let them fart fire and brimstone, the Gomorrhans, I will not have a single case of scurvy on my hands, the sea-surgeon's shame, while there is a cabbage to be culled.'

And my favourite:

A boy on a ship posted:

"Yes, sir. It was about tea, which they did not choose to pay duty on. They called out 'No reproduction without copulation' and tossed it into Boston harbour.'"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
"Babbington looked wretchedly from one to the other, licked his lips and said, ' I ate your rat, sir. I am very sorry, and I ask your pardon.'
'Did you so?' said Stephen mildly. 'Well, I hope you enjoyed it. Listen, Jack, will you look at my list, now?'
'He only ate it when it was dead,' said Jack."

"Brother, I insist. I should put my bees onshore for you. Upon my sacred honor!"