Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weed goku
Aug 25, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
iPhone report: 5c with ios 10 is faster than a plain 6 with ios 11 most of the time :page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

poty posted:

who chose the title for this thread? its terrible go back to the hilarious vaping ref

Weed goku
Aug 25, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!

Agree who let this jackoff make a new thread?

EndlessRagdoll
May 20, 2016

iOS 11 sucks. It makes the games I'm trying to play during bathroom breaks run like trash and heat up my phone. It's a loving 7 plus, there's like one more year till the planned obsolescence.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
yup my phone heats up like crazy now

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

i have a crazy prediction for ios 12 next year

they will completely change every aspect of the UI for absolutely no reason

that is all. namaste

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

have you considered you may be holding the device in a manner not planned for?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

bump_fn posted:

update I had to log out and back into iTunes on the phone and everything reappeared

iTunes so fucjijg bad

I once filed a bug against iTunes for some similar issue and an iTunes engineer told me to log out and log back in again, which fixed my problem. I asked him why, since iTunes knew there was a problem, couldn’t it just do wherever it was logging out and back in again accomplished without making the user have to do it. naturally the response was a blank stare as if logging out and back in is a perfectly valid and normal thing that users are supposed to do and he couldn’t comprehend the concept of doing anything other than throwing out a mysterious error and making them struggle to figure it out.

iTunes is staffed by morons and is a flaming piece of poo poo. most Apple employees learn pretty quickly that filing bugs against iTunes is pointless because they never get fixed. they disappear into a void where you can’t see them and assigned to a robot and no one ever looks at them.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

so is the itunes team where apple stores all the flunkies they can't get rid of?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Management posted:

I once filed a bug against iTunes for some similar issue and an iTunes engineer told me to log out and log back in again, which fixed my problem. I asked him why, since iTunes knew there was a problem, couldn’t it just do wherever it was logging out and back in again accomplished without making the user have to do it. naturally the response was a blank stare as if logging out and back in is a perfectly valid and normal thing that users are supposed to do and he couldn’t comprehend the concept of doing anything other than throwing out a mysterious error and making them struggle to figure it out.

iTunes is staffed by morons and is a flaming piece of poo poo. most Apple employees learn pretty quickly that filing bugs against iTunes is pointless because they never get fixed. they disappear into a void where you can’t see them and assigned to a robot and no one ever looks at them.

this is the same company that decided that when iOS grasps on to the slightest remnant of a wifi signal for dear life instead of figuring out smoke signals would be faster and switching to LTE, you can now manually disconnect from that wifi while keeping wifi on. you'd think a device with enough processing power to run the space program could figure out that these packets just aren't gonna show up no matter how long you wait, but nope.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rex-Goliath posted:

so is the itunes team where apple stores all the flunkies they can't get rid of?

they’ve always been flunkies. iTunes is not part of the software engineering org, they are their own division, what used to be the iTunes org. they are very bad at making software and there’s nobody in their leadership that is competent enough to make the changes needed to do it right.

software made by the itunes org:
iTunes
podcasts.app
the App Store app
music.app

notice that this list has an extremely high correlation with the list of the worst software that Apple makes.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

this is the same company that decided that when iOS grasps on to the slightest remnant of a wifi signal for dear life instead of figuring out smoke signals would be faster and switching to LTE, you can now manually disconnect from that wifi while keeping wifi on. you'd think a device with enough processing power to run the space program could figure out that these packets just aren't gonna show up no matter how long you wait, but nope.

this is a very hard problem to solve in practice. and people get angry when you use their data when you should be on WiFi.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

The Management posted:

this is a very hard problem to solve in practice. and people get angry when you use their data when you should be on WiFi.

then those skinflints should turn off cellular data

if i've got it enabled switch the gently caress over already

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

they’ve always been flunkies. iTunes is not part of the software engineering org, they are their own division, what used to be the iTunes org. they are very bad at making software and there’s nobody in their leadership that is competent enough to make the changes needed to do it right.

iTunes
podcasts.app
the App Store app
music.app

notice that this list has an extremely high correlation with the list of the worst software that Apple makes.

its also the highest profile software they make so lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

can the cell network provide pricing details for data to help make that decision? ex: this is a business plan, go whole hog or this guy has 200mb left, maybe take it easy.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

can the cell network provide pricing details for data to help make that decision? ex: this is a business plan, go whole hog or this guy has 200mb left, maybe take it easy.

lol

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Management posted:

iTunes
podcasts.app
the App Store app
music.app

not to worry, Eddie Cue is on the case

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/caseyjohnston/status/920322264150695937

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i went and got drunk last week and i finally did it. i dropped my iPhone 6 and cracked the screen. a bottomless well of shame

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

waaaaa apples replacing my entire loving computer for free bc a piece of dust is stuck in the keyboard

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Shaggar posted:

sure lets just get the over 9000 carriers to agree on a metadata protocol and then to implement it reliably

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shaggar posted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the problem is really that WiFi has no real link management. all enterprise level routers do some huge hacks to make sure your phone successfully works while transitioning between access points and selects the right AP to bind to.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

then those skinflints should turn off cellular data

if i've got it enabled switch the gently caress over already

go into settings, go to cellular, and turn on WiFi assist

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

poty posted:

sure lets just get the over 9000 carriers to agree on a metadata protocol and then to implement it reliably

they can pull network options for other available features (ex roaming, visual voicemail, etc..) so why not data related features?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

the problem is really that WiFi has no real link management. all enterprise level routers do some huge hacks to make sure your phone successfully works while transitioning between access points and selects the right AP to bind to.

I wouldn't even say its that. its more that wifi link quality is subjective. someone may be ok w/ shoddy wifi if it means they don't have to use cell data where I would rather use cell data if its faster regardless of wifi quality

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shaggar posted:

they can pull network options for other available features (ex roaming, visual voicemail, etc..) so why not data related features?

carriers all have plans that charge differently, including on a per-packet-destination basis, differently per packet over the course of a billing period, or with an amortized price that can't be plausibly calculated without accounting data for the billing period to date

and even if the phone like nightly or hourly fetched the bill to date and made decisions based on that, somebody well-connected/noisy who decides to stream video for two hours and blow through the cheap data part of their plan is going to make it into a big PR shitfest involving the hardware vendor before the carrier

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

waaaaa apples replacing my entire loving computer for free bc a piece of dust is stuck in the keyboard

its 700 dollars, not for free

I really need to go buy the AppleCare for this piece of poo poo MacBook with touchbar(TM) which has already threatened me twice with broken keys but I accidentally dislodged the dust particle out without breaking the whole computer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shaggar posted:

I wouldn't even say its that. its more that wifi link quality is subjective. someone may be ok w/ shoddy wifi if it means they don't have to use cell data where I would rather use cell data if its faster regardless of wifi quality

it’s not just subjective, it’s impossible to quantify and predict. your phone doesn’t know when a request is sent out whether it’s taking forever because of network congestion or slow servers or if your WiFi router just didn’t get that packet. if you walk into a dead spot for a second your phone needs to be able to retry without immediately giving up and going to cellular, or you will find that your phone is constantly doing that.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

lol

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205662

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

dear apple you're holding it wrong

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

macbooks pro

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

there is a real serious problem with apple and making things thinner, like the design team all have a collective condition because we are good on the thickness factor. like there is no reason to make phones or macbooks any thinner for the rest of human history. stop it jony

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the pain of using the product is part of jony ives vision

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

whats even worse than the keyboard is that customer service. :barf:

zen death robot
May 27, 2001

EndlessRagdoll posted:

iOS 11 sucks. It makes the games I'm trying to play during bathroom breaks run like trash and heat up my phone. It's a loving 7 plus, there's like one more year till the planned obsolescence.

I don't have this problem on mine but I also don't game while making GBS threads so maybe that's it.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shaggar posted:

this is just going to end up at the usual shaggar net neutrality argument sooner or later

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
who's gonna volunteer to be the cell network that gets throttled because they report the remaining data to phones?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
actually there are AT&T data plans where you get like 3GB/month and after that it's "unlimited" data capped to poo poo-tier speeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

who's gonna volunteer to be the cell network that gets throttled because they report the remaining data to phones?

seems like the ability to warn the user proactively and/or give them the option to automatically prioritize their data would be well received, but idk I never think about cell data.