Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

Wait, you can put GBA games on this thing?

Emulators are installable for a wide range of systems. But not all features (such as filters) will work as consistently as they do for SNES games on the built-in emulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I haven't even used any of the filters so that's fine by me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You're all wrong and dumb about the best Mario Kart.

It's Double Dash.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Amazon is shipping me my snes classics, apparently I got a double preorder in my haste when the preorders went up! :woop:

Shoota_McG posted:

Not only is 64 not as good as SMK, it’s not even a good game.
God drat that's a spicy hot take

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

F-Zero X is amazing, MK64 can gently caress off.
F zero has never been good in any form.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Captain Invictus posted:

Captain Invictus posted:

God drat that's a spicy hot take

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My hot takes are correct takes, though.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!
F-Zero was the game that came with my Snes and I hated it because I was living in a world where "A Link to the past" was out there and all I had was F-Zero

You know. I can never put my finger on what I liked about the Zelda games. I hated every dungeon in every Zelda game I ever played but I loved the brief outdoor stuff.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so uh, question.

How do y'all who put n64 games on this thing get around only having a d-pad?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They probably use a Wii classic controller

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

The original served fine as a tech demo for mode 7, the sequels were garbage cash-ins for people who for some reason never heard of wipeout.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

TFRazorsaw posted:

so uh, question.

How do y'all who put n64 games on this thing get around only having a d-pad?

Most people doing this would be using other controllers, either something like the Wii Classic Controller or a wireless bluetooth thing with sticks and all the buttons necessary.

Putting N64 games on here isn't really recommended though, they don't run well for the most part. Not that they couldn't run better with a better emulator, it's just how the one available performs.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I see. I'll avoid that and wait for the inevitable N64 Classic then and just focus on SNES, NES, GB, and GBA stuff for this.

I'd put Sega stuff on it but it feels kinda sacrilegious.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

TFRazorsaw posted:

I see. I'll avoid that and wait for the inevitable N64 Classic then and just focus on SNES, NES, GB, and GBA stuff for this.

I'd put Sega stuff on it but it feels kinda sacrilegious.

Parents who bought their kids a Genesis instead of a Snes should have been convicted of child abuse.

If you had a Genesis and once you got bored of Sonic your other gaming alternatives was making friends who had a snes.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
There are a few Genesis games very worthwhile throwing on there, my personal run n gun recommendation is Gunstar Heroes. Here's a handy list for other good Genesis titles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)#Sega_Genesis

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Phantasy Star games were pretty good but the RPG selection is quite thin after that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dejawesp posted:

Parents who bought their kids a Genesis instead of a Snes should have been convicted of child abuse.

If you had a Genesis and once you got bored of Sonic your other gaming alternatives was making friends who had a snes.

There were plenty of great Genesis games :(

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dejawesp posted:

Pshaw. I had a Genesis and a SNES and I played the Genesis waaaay more. Herzog Zwei, Phantasy Stars alone took up a good chunk of my childhood.

Besides, Sega does what Nintendon't.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Manky posted:

There are a few Genesis games very worthwhile throwing on there, my personal run n gun recommendation is Gunstar Heroes. Here's a handy list for other good Genesis titles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Virtual_Console_games_for_Wii_(North_America)#Sega_Genesis

Gunstar Heroes and Rocket Knight Adventures are the 2 I would recommend.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Nail Rat posted:

Phantasy Star games were pretty good but the RPG selection is quite thin after that.

If by 'quite thin' you mean Shining Force and Shining Force 2, well, quality over quantity there.

And let's not forget both Beyond Oasis and Soleil/Crusader of Centy in terms of almost-RPGs. Both of these were very, VERY good LttP clones. Beyond Oasis had a very strong Aladdin feel to it, too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Strider.

Also Streets of Rage, which is still the best 16 bit brawler after Turtles in Time.

But yeah, I was an SNES kid and I didn't even play most of the RPGs as a kid.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Dejawesp posted:

Sounds like someone was deprived of Greendog when growing up :'(

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

TFRazorsaw posted:

There were plenty of great Genesis games :(

I dug up my old Genesis and the games I accumulated during the years I had it.

I don't think a single of them could even save progress between sessions.

I feel like an overwhelming majority of Genesis games were made to compete with NES games. They had the style of NES games albeit it better graphics but gameplay wise they were very similar.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Medullah posted:

Besides, Sega does what Nintendon't.
be bad and a failure at everything they did until they stopped making consoles?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My wife, who currently has my SNES Classic until she gives it to me for Christmas, had a Genesis and only a Genesis growing up and has zero interest in playing SNES games. I'm so sad for her.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheScott2K posted:

My wife, who currently has my SNES Classic until she gives it to me for Christmas, had a Genesis and only a Genesis growing up and has zero interest in playing SNES games. I'm so sad for her.
Genesis diehards are like devout republicans, the most pitiful creatures

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

Sounds like someone was deprived of Greendog when growing up :'(

Ok, I can't tell if you're just being cheeky or something, but there is nothing special whatsoever about Greendog. I remember hearing about it, seeing screenshots, and REALLY wanting to get it, but I could never find it. Tried it years later, and I don't get the appeal.

In the meantime, Mutant League Football and General Chaos are some excellent Genesis exclusives. :colbert:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Genesis diehards are like devout republicans, the most pitiful creatures

Always bringing up those Aladdin sprites like we're supposed to give a gently caress

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Strider.

Also Streets of Rage, which is still the best 16 bit brawler after Turtles in Time.

But yeah, I was an SNES kid and I didn't even play most of the RPGs as a kid.

How are streets of rage 2/3, brawlers with multiple characters with different movesets, specials, grapples, weapons, and an actual soundtrack worse than a quarter sucking arcade game?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TheScott2K posted:

Always bringing up those Aladdin sprites like we're supposed to give a gently caress

I mean they are pretty

Doesn't trump good gameplay, which the snes version has in spades though :smugdog:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Mode 7 made SNES Maddens better too.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Kiranamos posted:

How are streets of rage 2/3, brawlers with multiple characters with different movesets, specials, grapples, weapons, and an actual soundtrack worse than a quarter sucking arcade game?

because TMNT brah. if you were a kid when TMNT was created, anything with that label was automatically 100% better than something without TMNT.

there's no way a kid with rollerblades or an old man cyborg is cooler than four teenage mutant ninja turtles, although they do sound like exactly the kind of level end bosses the turtles would have to stop.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why was the SNES clocked so slow?

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

God drat that's a spicy hot take.
I think the tracks are too long, it’s ugly, and I would probably play any other Mario Kart over it.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Rock N Roll Racing though.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

because if it was any faster the console wars would have been unfair, nintendo was actually holding back, this is common knowledge for 11 year olds back in the day :cmon:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kiranamos posted:

Level variety. Turtles in Time was loving crazy. I mean, come on, you fight ninja cowboys and a Cajun gator on a train in the old west, followed by fighting dinosaurs in a volcano, followed by hover boarding in a futuristic city, followed by...

The game is just batshit, even if you aren't like all of us 80s and 90s kids and love TMNT. There's a boss you fight by throwing dudes at the camera, it was literally the pinnacle of creative ideas applied to that era's beat em ups.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

BIG APPLE!

3 A.M.!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shoota_McG posted:

I think the tracks are too long, it’s ugly, and I would probably play any other Mario Kart over it.
Name a game on the N64 that wasn't ugly. Star Fox 64? Maybe???

And that's your choice, but it's a poor one!

sinepost
Nov 16, 2004

four o'clock and all's well

Waltzing Along posted:

Because all the fancy graphics and music were handled by separate custom chips. Like how the C64's CPU was around half as fast as several of its 8-bit computer rivals, but the VIC-II and SID meant it could still look and sound better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Yields, reliability, and a bunch of custom chips doing a lot of the work.