Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't fault anyone for calling BotW the GOAT, but I preferred Horizon because they found a way to squeeze actual narrative pressure into an open-world game. Granted they did so at the expense of open-worldness, but at some point after abandoning a dozen versions of Far Cry/GTA I realized I am never going to see a game through just 'cuz.

I put the same amount of time into both this year (around 60 hours), but I felt comfortable enough with my doneness in BotW that I walked away literally in the middle of a puzzle in the Goron Divine Beast. But I'm also the weirdo who thought exploring took too long and was a little dull. I adored the shrines but hated having to actually get to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

except for Mario Galaxy Nintendo's always followed their major successes with a curveball rather than a retread, I'd expect the same with Zelda.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Bleck posted:

Yeah, hopefully everyone agrees that "you got a magical superweapon that's gonna break in six hits on some bullshit bokoblin" was the worst part of BotW and it's better in subsequent Cool Open World Zeldas.

That or how there's only, like, five enemies

I never had much trouble with weapon durability, but that's mainly because my preferred method of killing enemies was kiting them in circles while dropping bombs. It's oddly satisfying.

As for the lack of enemy variety/dungeons/whatever other complaint, learning how to make a game like botw was a huge learning curve, and I think Nintendo correctly chose to focus on the environment and make sure that was done right. Subsequent games using the same engine and dev team will almost certainly contain more variety.

It's still a 10/10 game.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
One thing that really impressed me about BotW is how visually stunning it is, despite having to compete with games on much stronger hardware. When you're walking up a hill and the sun starts to rise over the horizon, the whole world comes alive. Bugs flitter around, mist blows lazily, morning dew shines on the grass. It's awesome. Horizon looks really good, Uncharted 4 looks really good, but when I'm looking at them I'm just thinking "these are good graphics" and not "this is a living world".

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

PantsBandit posted:

One thing that really impressed me about BotW is how visually stunning it is, despite having to compete with games on much stronger hardware. When you're walking up a hill and the sun starts to rise over the horizon, the whole world comes alive. Bugs flitter around, mist blows lazily, morning dew shines on the grass. It's awesome. Horizon looks really good, Uncharted 4 looks really good, but when I'm looking at them I'm just thinking "these are good graphics" and not "this is a living world".

Horizon may be full of mechanical animals, but it still looks like a living world. I love the way BotW looks, too, but saying Horizon doesn't look "living" is odd.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

PantsBandit posted:

The best change they could've made to the horses would be to let you call your last registered horse from anywhere, a la Witcher 3. It was really strange that they decided to pull the REALISM card there, and as a result I think I used a horse maybe 2-3 times the entire game.

This 100%. Also, maybe if there was more you could do with the horses at the stables. Upgrade them more some how. Rent them out to make money or something. Make movies staring Daniel Radcliffe.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I can't wait to play Odyssey tonight.

Etrian Oddessy V, that is. :smugdog:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mahoning posted:

I think it was only spelled wrong in The Adventures of Link.

It is supposed to just have one N.

edit: I was wrong, it was only for LoZ

The game over screen I posted above is from the japanese Zelda 2

The japanese version of Link to the Past spells it with two "N"s in the credits as well

How deep does this conspiracy go

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sakurazuka posted:

He dropped the Nazi imagery at least

He did? That was my main problem with him honestly

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Coldforge posted:

Horizon may be full of mechanical animals, but it still looks like a living world. I love the way BotW looks, too, but saying Horizon doesn't look "living" is odd.

Horizon looks like one of those old HDR wallpapers that used to flood the internet. It’s impressive technically but personally doesn’t look that good artistically to me.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

raditts posted:

The game over screen I posted above is from the japanese Zelda 2

The japanese version of Link to the Past spells it with two "N"s in the credits as well

How deep does this conspiracy go

Yeah the Japanese versions were like that up until OoT. Western releases always had 1 N after the original.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A horse summoning doodad from the otherwise useless horsegod would have been more fitting than the teleport doohickey.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Mister Facetious posted:

He single handedly and literally destroyed BotW's chance to beat OoT on Metacritic by giving it a 7/10, which is about what I would've given it (maybe 7.5). :haw:

He mined so much salt from the crybabies that they DDOS'd him for like, a week, even though he's ad free- so views and clicks don't matter. :laugh:

Takoluka posted:

He also made an entire video about why it's "morally okay" to pirate all of Nintendo's games and never give them money.
I'm glad my assumption about this person based off one simple fact was completely spot on and I can put them in the Ignore pile of my brain

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He did? That was my main problem with him honestly

You'll love his new image then. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKrlvXZ44Vo

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

katkillad2 posted:

There was just so much to do and explore, I just felt like I was going to miss a ton of stuff if I used them.

You missed a ton of stuff not using them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ok no that's worse.

Good god his whole schtick of "company didn't let me use their footage for free! Boycott!" Is so loving childish. They own the footage you idiot. They own the game music and scenario. You can shout fair use till you're red in the face, it doesn't loving matter, get over it and stop using footage the owners don't want you to.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If I wanted to play an old game (nintendo or otherwise) and there wasn't a realistic legal way for me to play it on a modern machine I would most definitely pirate it

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You can shout fair use till you're red in the face, it doesn't loving matter, get over it and stop using footage the owners don't want you to.

He just did that?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Huxley posted:

I wouldn't fault anyone for calling BotW the GOAT, but I preferred Horizon because they found a way to squeeze actual narrative pressure into an open-world game. Granted they did so at the expense of open-worldness, but at some point after abandoning a dozen versions of Far Cry/GTA I realized I am never going to see a game through just 'cuz.

I put the same amount of time into both this year (around 60 hours), but I felt comfortable enough with my doneness in BotW that I walked away literally in the middle of a puzzle in the Goron Divine Beast. But I'm also the weirdo who thought exploring took too long and was a little dull. I adored the shrines but hated having to actually get to them.

Killing a thunderjaw for the first time and pulling down a giant bird with the ropecaster were more satisfying than almost anything combat wise in BotW, but the narrative didn't really hook me that much.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ok no that's worse.

Good god his whole schtick of "company didn't let me use their footage for free! Boycott!" Is so loving childish. They own the footage you idiot. They own the game music and scenario. You can shout fair use till you're red in the face, it doesn't loving matter, get over it and stop using footage the owners don't want you to.

Yeah there's been a lot of talk around that recently and the prevailing sentiment I've heard is "nobody really wants to talk about this too much because the current structure mostly works out for everyone. If a legal precedent is set it will probably make everyone unhappy, but mostly youtubers and streamers, so just shut the gently caress up and maintain the status quo."

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Sterling is daring WWE to sue him by ripping of Stardust by being Sterdust after they hosed with his youtubes so he's a good boy.

In other news Rogue Trooper is still awesome. If you want a good third person shooter that does nothing original but lets you shoot post apocalyptic Nazis it's still a perfect 7/10. It's from 2006, but looks much better and the gameplay holds up.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Andrast posted:

If I wanted to play an old game (nintendo or otherwise) and there wasn't a realistic legal way for me to play it on a modern machine I would most definitely pirate it

Same, but I wouldn't delude myself into thinking I have some moral right in doing so.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1QHE7Lp6tw

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Who?
Cares?

It's a YT person there is always something better to do

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Guys, Fire Emblem Warriors is out in 3 days, and Super Mario Odyssey in 10. Why are we talking about some youtube gamer dude?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

Guys, Fire Emblem Warriors is out in 3 days, and Super Mario Odyssey in 10. Why are we talking about some youtube gamer dude?

Sorry, I'm not interested in dynasty warriors so I just have to talk about the youtube gamer dude until Odyssey comes out instead

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I usually love musuo games but fire emblem warriors looks too vanilla for my tastes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How the hell can anyone sit through a minute long animated credits intro? Like what the gently caress? This is YouTube, if you want a title card it better not be longer than 2 seconds or I'll just go watch CrazyRussianHacker review ten kitchen gadgeks instead.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’ll play FEW eventually but I feel like I should play Fates first.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Ok no that's worse.

Usually companies want to monetize his videos, which is a no-no for Jim who is trying to run an ad-free show. It's one of the reasons why he devised the copyright-deadlock trick by manipulating different copyright holding companies fight over the rights to show ads on his viddies. So basically Jim Sterling is just annoyed about Youtube's lovely algorithm reliant moderation system.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

How the hell can anyone sit through a minute long animated credits intro?

This, but actual television too. Scrubs having a ten second intro and no laugh track/studio audience is the reason it's the only good comedy show since television began.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

there are like 3 viking games on eshop now, which one is best one?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Along this same track; what decides which games get video trailers on the Switch shop? Do the devs have to pay a hosting fee?
Because gameplay footage of these would be greatly appreciated.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

Volgarr the Viking is solid

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

because we have nothing good to talk about until odyssey comes out

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I've never owned a 3DS, but I was really hoping FEW was going to be turn-based/FFT-like on the Switch, and now I'm sad :sigh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

kloa posted:

I've never owned a 3DS, but I was really hoping FEW was going to be turn-based/FFT-like on the Switch, and now I'm sad :sigh:

There’s a traditional FE game in development for Switch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Rexroom posted:

Usually companies want to monetize his videos, which is a no-no for Jim who is trying to run an ad-free show. It's one of the reasons why he devised the copyright-deadlock trick by manipulating different copyright holding companies fight over the rights to show ads on his viddies. So basically Jim Sterling is just annoyed about Youtube's lovely algorithm reliant moderation system.

I can't imagine a Jim Sterling fan that doesn't use ad block. Myself I subscribe to YouTube Red.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Thank God for Jim, he is a good boy.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How do you ad block on an ios device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011