Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not to be a spoil sport, but I find it real weird that there's a network of people adopting all the SG social media handles and posting in character who aren't Ryan North or whatever Marvel PR folks.

Given that those accounts also post the Tweets seen in the recap pages, I'm pretty sure they are run by Marvel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The SG one linking to a fan Tumblr leads me to think it's not.

Haha. I should have read more than a sentence into the blog description. Never mind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm surprised it took this long, but there's now an official "comicsgate". It's exactly what you think it is.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The JMS/JRJr 'Nuff Said issue of Amazing Spider-Man (I think it was Vol. 2 #37) was really good.

Joe Casey's Uncanny X-Men one was ok. I forget if I read any others.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Lurdiak posted:

I'm surprised it took this long, but there's now an official "comicsgate". It's exactly what you think it is.

It looks as dumb as one would expect...what spurned this one?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Those goshdurned ess jay dubbayu's aren't making comics as good as they should, and now this "comicsgate" movement gets to reconcile their claims of "the market has spoken and no one wants them" and "we need to make noise and tell people how bad they are."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

good day for a bris posted:

It looks as dumb as one would expect...what spurned this one?

It stems from that stupid loving guy at Marvel who blamed low sales on diversity last winter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah the targeted harassment has been going on for months at least, someone just decided to call it a -gate thing recently

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

site posted:

Yeah the targeted harassment has been going on for months at least, someone just decided to call it a -gate thing recently

Ah, i thought there was Sarkesian-esque tipping point, but it's good know it's just the general fuckery form the last 30 years...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

The JMS/JRJr 'Nuff Said issue of Amazing Spider-Man (I think it was Vol. 2 #37) was really good.

I like the Avengers one that tied into the Kang Dynasty story arc.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

good day for a bris posted:

Ah, i thought there was Sarkesian-esque tipping point, but it's good know it's just the general fuckery form the last 30 years...

Well the poc, women and queer creators have been getting harassment, many of them "based" out of a alt-right comics twitter guy called diversityandcomics, for a long time but i think the gate thing stems from a comic writer/critic named Zainab Akhtar getting so much that she closed down her twitter over the weekend after she criticized a uk con for being incredibly white

E: i should add some more context, she criticized and the con promoters went after her personally, calling her slime and such, they got shamed by pretty much all of comics twitter into apologizing, and then after the apology she started getting mass harassment

site fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 17, 2017

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

irlZaphod posted:

I suggest the x-force one by mike allred along with the new x-men.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Lurdiak posted:

It stems from that stupid loving guy at Marvel who blamed low sales on diversity last winter.

Nah, these jerkoffs were around before that, he just gave them something to point at and say, "See? We were right!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Nah, these jerkoffs were around before that, he just gave them something to point at and say, "See? We were right!"

Well yeah, lovely sexist/racist nerds have always been around, but if you're looking for a galvanizing incident like that stupid dipshit who blasted lies about zoe quinn loving everyone in the world and created Gamergate, that rear end in a top hat at Marvel opening his loving mouth is definitely it.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Lurdiak posted:

Well yeah, lovely sexist/racist nerds have always been around, but if you're looking for a galvanizing incident like that stupid dipshit who blasted lies about zoe quinn loving everyone in the world and created Gamergate, that rear end in a top hat at Marvel opening his loving mouth is definitely it.

Well, that and the general modern environment that encourages people of that sort to go public as a group, and the modern social media tools that enable them to do damage.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
While the horrible sexist, racist, homophobic b.s. exists, I don't think the term comicsgate is taking off. Like 20 people are using it and you can easily block them all. Hell, half of them are from years ago asking if this is when comicsgate begins. That said, the bullshit is still going strong and social media does nothing to clamp down on it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It looks like a bunch of idiots trying to start up a controversy, but no hot topic to base it off of.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I avoid all comic book controversies by assuming all comic fans are the worst and ignoring them. Except for you guys. You aren't the worst.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zoro posted:

While the horrible sexist, racist, homophobic b.s. exists, I don't think the term comicsgate is taking off. Like 20 people are using it and you can easily block them all. Hell, half of them are from years ago asking if this is when comicsgate begins. That said, the bullshit is still going strong and social media does nothing to clamp down on it.

Twitter maintains a list of actual loving Nazis, but doesn't do anything about it aside from making them invisible to German users.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madkal posted:

Except for you guys. You aren't the worst.

You can't prove that.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Skwirl posted:

Twitter maintains a list of actual loving Nazis, but doesn't do anything about it aside from making them invisible to German users.

:suicide:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Madkal posted:

You aren't the worst.

I read and enjoy Dan Slott comic books.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Decius posted:

(in sweaty Mayor Quimby voice)

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Decius posted:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Speaking of Slott, the only comic I read by him was Arkham: Living Hell which I enjoyed the hell out of. Having never read his Spiderman stuff I think his total output of only one story is excellent.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

Speaking of Slott, the only comic I read by him was Arkham: Living Hell which I enjoyed the hell out of. Having never read his Spiderman stuff I think his total output of only one story is excellent.

That was before 2007, where he became Evil Dan Slott.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

That was before 2007, where he became Evil Dan Slott.

This isn't the live action tv thread, but I'm still going to blame that on Barry Allen being an idiot.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm sticking to my Dire Wraith theory.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Today Gord Downie from the band Tragically Hip passed away after suffering my brain cancer for over a year. All of Canada knew about this and the band did a farewell tour last year. During that time he also released a solo album called Secret Path, a concept album about a young Aboriginal child named Chanie who was taken away from his family and put into a residential school . The story of Charlie is a true story, and the abuse at the residential schools was real too. Aboriginal children were taken away from their family and forced to "assimilate" into white Canadian culture, often through abuse and neglect. It is a painful part of Canadian history, and a history that many are still coming to terms with now.
Downie wrote the album about Chanie in collaboration with Jeff Lemire (yes the Jeff Lemire of every single comic being made right now). Lemire created a graphic novel to go along with the music from the album (with the song lyrics being printed every few pages). The album itself is very sad and at time painful to listen to, and to hear the songs while reading the comic makes the experience even more affecting. Last year the CBC produced a short film animating Lemire's artwork while the music played over the film like a soundtrack.
Today Gord Downie, a man who's music touched a lot of Canadians, passed away. Below is a link to that CBC short animated film featuring his music and Lemire's artwork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGd764YU9yc&t=509s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Not Gord. :( Today sucks.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

You could also argue the open letter about that awful Teen Titans cover that focused on Wonder Girl's boobs and the psychotic outrage in response to it. Which was what, 2015?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ok yeah today is poo poo.

https://twitter.com/bumblesnot/status/920788361555693568

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I always thought I'd read most of the Peanuts strips, but there's so many of them (once a day for 50 years or so) that there must be thousands I've never seen.

I thought that Snoopy's siblings other than Spike, Andy and Olaf were created for cartoons; I didn't know until recently that the other ones were in the comic as well.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Madkal posted:

Today Gord Downie from the band Tragically Hip passed away after suffering my brain cancer for over a year. All of Canada knew about this and the band did a farewell tour last year. During that time he also released a solo album called Secret Path, a concept album about a young Aboriginal child named Chanie who was taken away from his family and put into a residential school . The story of Charlie is a true story, and the abuse at the residential schools was real too. Aboriginal children were taken away from their family and forced to "assimilate" into white Canadian culture, often through abuse and neglect. It is a painful part of Canadian history, and a history that many are still coming to terms with now.
Downie wrote the album about Chanie in collaboration with Jeff Lemire (yes the Jeff Lemire of every single comic being made right now). Lemire created a graphic novel to go along with the music from the album (with the song lyrics being printed every few pages). The album itself is very sad and at time painful to listen to, and to hear the songs while reading the comic makes the experience even more affecting. Last year the CBC produced a short film animating Lemire's artwork while the music played over the film like a soundtrack.
Today Gord Downie, a man who's music touched a lot of Canadians, passed away. Below is a link to that CBC short animated film featuring his music and Lemire's artwork

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGd764YU9yc&t=509s

You said you didn't give a gently caress about hockey and I never saw someone say that before.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

You said you didn't give a gently caress about hockey and I never saw someone say that before.

You've never been outside Canada?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I made the mistake of talking comics on reddit today. Was talking about Jane Foster and it got annoying. I like Jane Thor and I was talking about some cool things about her as a response to a topic. Some guy tried to claim she was offensive to cancer patients. I said that was missing the point of why she has it. Jason Aaron wants to do a story that talks about mortality as a theme so it's an element of her character. He made some explanations for why things like magic and chemo won't work, at least as long as she wants to be a hero and help people in Thor's absence. Which she needs to because the world needs a Thor because they're are problems and duty only a Thor deals with.

And it went on from there and got ridiculous.

"The world doesn't need a "Thor." The Avengers could have handled the frost giant invasion." -- him

"Do you read the comic? The Avengers were defeated by the Frost Giants! Explicitly!" -- me

"Well, then Ice-Man could have done it. He'd be better at fighting Frost Giants than Thor!" -- him

"How? His powers only allow to make ice, not manipulate pre-existing ice. So, he'd just be powerless and then get his rear end kicked. Also, he's an X-Men with no ties to the Avengers and poo poo in his own comics to deal with. gently caress, I think he was with the GotG at the time." -- me

"Yeah, well, he can't be frozen. Besides, Hercules could completely replace Thor, if need be. Ergo, Jane didn't need to pick up the hammer to be Thor." -- him

"Hercules has his own poo poo to deal with. Now he has to protect all ten realms? That's not his shitck. It's not his mythology. At this point, you're just saying Thor shouldn't exist as a concept." --me

I should have never responded, but everything he said was so stupid. He, at one point, held the dual positions that Jane was offensive for "going Thor because it ruined her chemo and cancer is serious" and "she should have just used magic to cure it all." Like, you can't hold both opinions. If cancer is serious and needs to be handled with care or its offensive, having her cure herself with magic would be super offensive.

Anyway, thought you guys might get a laugh out of this, even if it's just at me being stupid enough to both a) talk comic books on reedit b) respond to an rear end in a top hat and c) be dumb enough to tell people about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Anytime you see someone arguing in such bad faith it's pretty clear what their real problem with something is. And it usually boils down to race, religion, sexuality or gender.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Covok posted:

I made the mistake of talking comics on reddit today. Was talking about Jane Foster and it got annoying. I like Jane Thor and I was talking about some cool things about her as a response to a topic. Some guy tried to claim she was offensive to cancer patients. I said that was missing the point of why she has it. Jason Aaron wants to do a story that talks about mortality as a theme so it's an element of her character. He made some explanations for why things like magic and chemo won't work, at least as long as she wants to be a hero and help people in Thor's absence. Which she needs to because the world needs a Thor because they're are problems and duty only a Thor deals with.

And it went on from there and got ridiculous.

"The world doesn't need a "Thor." The Avengers could have handled the frost giant invasion." -- him

"Do you read the comic? The Avengers were defeated by the Frost Giants! Explicitly!" -- me

"Well, then Ice-Man could have done it. He'd be better at fighting Frost Giants than Thor!" -- him

"How? His powers only allow to make ice, not manipulate pre-existing ice. So, he'd just be powerless and then get his rear end kicked. Also, he's an X-Men with no ties to the Avengers and poo poo in his own comics to deal with. gently caress, I think he was with the GotG at the time." -- me

"Yeah, well, he can't be frozen. Besides, Hercules could completely replace Thor, if need be. Ergo, Jane didn't need to pick up the hammer to be Thor." -- him

"Hercules has his own poo poo to deal with. Now he has to protect all ten realms? That's not his shitck. It's not his mythology. At this point, you're just saying Thor shouldn't exist as a concept." --me

I should have never responded, but everything he said was so stupid. He, at one point, held the dual positions that Jane was offensive for "going Thor because it ruined her chemo and cancer is serious" and "she should have just used magic to cure it all." Like, you can't hold both opinions. If cancer is serious and needs to be handled with care or its offensive, having her cure herself with magic would be super offensive.

Anyway, thought you guys might get a laugh out of this, even if it's just at me being stupid enough to both a) talk comic books on reedit b) respond to an rear end in a top hat and c) be dumb enough to tell people about it.

Take my advice: never assume anyone from reddit making GBS threads on Jane Thor is doing it in good faith. Not that you can't criticize her, but there are a lot of people, especially on reddit, twttier, and youtube, who despise her for being a woman and will just take any opportunity to poo poo on her and try to "fight the culture war" or some poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They were probably restraining themselves from calling her "Whor" the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lurdiak posted:

Anytime you see someone arguing in such bad faith it's pretty clear what their real problem with something is. And it usually boils down to race, religion, sexuality or gender.

Zoro posted:

Take my advice: never assume anyone from reddit making GBS threads on Jane Thor is doing it in good faith. Not that you can't criticize her, but there are a lot of people, especially on reddit, twttier, and youtube, who despise her for being a woman and will just take any opportunity to poo poo on her and try to "fight the culture war" or some poo poo.

Yeah, I kind of hinted at that a few times. Like I said, "would you be this pedantic about any other hero?" and "I think you just hate the character and want to hate her." But, obviously, I should have just left the sexist to feel like he owned some lib or some poo poo. Like, I knew he was an rear end in a top hat in bad faith, but he was so dumb about it. gently caress, I mean, it's not like she just fights frost giants: she's fighting a war across all the realms! Most heroes have their own poo poo to deal with locally, now they need to deal with poo poo on a scale that large because Thor shouldn't exist, basically? Also, seriously, why say Ice Man and not Johnny Storm because, while a sexist argument, Johnny Storm would be better suited for fighting Frost Giants than any Thor.

Also, he really, really hated me saying Jane Thor was stronger than Unworthy Thor because, without the hammer, Unworthy Thor is just not that strong. I'm not saying Thor Odison is weaker, I'm saying Unworthy Thor: Thor Odison sans Mjonir. He kept trying to argue all of the strength of Thor was his own and not the hammer. Yes, I know there are historically conflicting reports on this, actually, but the current comic makes it clear that, sans hammer, he is weaker. Also, it's kind of obvious considering his reasoning for this argument why he would really blister at the notion of a women being more physically powerful than a man.

On an unrelated note, Marvel Unlimited answered a question me and my brother have been wondering forever: who the gently caress was Ultimate Thor? Turns out he is Thor Odinson reincarnated as a man after Raganorak and imbued with superpowers from a mix of a supersuit and some genetic alterations from a European Science Bureau, his hammer is the powersource of the suit. Like, seriously, we have been wondering that since 2006 and I thought it'd be eternally unanswered. Turns out they addressed it in 2011.

• Locked thread