Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Well, gently caress that guy.

E: Top of page music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5-f1Bnltu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypfUbl_uJsw

thehoodie fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I know I am old because Pitchfork gave King Krule a 9.0 and I dont get the album at all. At all. But then again I also don’t get Mac Demarco, either. I’m just too old I guess. Time to board the ship and head to the shiny island.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

British Columbia band that I love, The Matinee, put out a new album this year and it just keeps getting better every time I listen to it

This is a new fave: https://soundcloud.com/the-matinee/the-price-of-air

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Yeah that's pretty great.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

angrygodofjebus posted:

The new Beck album is super enjoyable, highly recommend it.

I'm pretty disappointed with it honestly, the early singles are the best thing on here by a mile and it's all very one note. The idea of a pop beck album isn't inherently bad but it ended up being one idea stretched out to album length.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
Colors opens strong, I love the title track, but it settles into a groove of willful mediocrity after that point. It's kind of whitewashed and produced with the end goal of every track landing a cell phone commercial or a spot on a chain restaurant's in-store radio. I've heard a lot worse, and the singles are pleasant, but it's not what I'd hoped, especially after two years on a shelf somewhere.

Completely unrelated, Phoenix's live show was killer last night. Their stage presence uses a huge mirror reflecting the floor light show into the audience. Plus they played If I Ever Feel Better and then halfway through suddenly cut into Funky Squaredance. It was tight.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

im gonna see The War On Drugs on wed :q:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I saw Phoenix last night. The setlist is Most of their new album and about half of WAP. The REAL cool part was the stage setup though:

(Don't read if youre going to one of the shows, it's a neat surprise)

instead of playing in front of a lighted backdrop, they play in front of a giant slanted mirror, and the stage FLOOR is made of lights :aaa:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Lutha Mahtin posted:

im gonna see The War On Drugs on wed :q:

I say this as someone who really likes them: Don't go in expecting a lively, engaging set. Their shows are pretty by-the-numbers.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I'm not sure how to feel about Beck's album either. I'm not like, angry about him going pop or anything like that. I just think maybe when the genre/production is so straightforward, the songwriting needs to be better, and I'm not sure it is. "Dreams" and "Dear Life" are standout tracks, and there's nothing really tricky or surprising about them -- they're just really well-written songs. Meanwhile, "Wow" is another standout but for exactly the opposite reasons -- that one is all production and sonically pleasing nonsense. Many of the other songs fall somewhere in the middle.

All that's to say it's about as good as Modern Guilt and will probably be a more frequent listen in the long run, so, not bad.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I can't hear the chorus of "Dreams" without thinking about the chorus of this

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Each new Beck album has one or two tracks that's "fine to listen to" but otherwise he just sounds very boring and inauthentic in a bad way (he used to be inauthentic in the best way), right down to his dumb-rear end hat. I haven't enjoyed a Beck album in literally like 15 years by this point.

. . . and speaking of washed-up old people, I'm really digging the Clientele's new album, which is extremely dad rock (no more than war on drugs, I guess) but really well-crafted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7-Km2OMpSk

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 17, 2017

stoops
Jun 11, 2001

Polo-Rican posted:

. . . and speaking of washed-up old people, I'm really digging the Clientele's new album, which is extremely dad rock (no more than war on drugs, I guess) but really well-crafted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7-Km2OMpSk

If it's a new album, why is the link from 2015?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

stoops posted:

If it's a new album, why is the link from 2015?

That's a really good question, and I too was confused as hell when i searched for the song on youtube. I guess they released this track as a single 2 years ago, although I can't find any information on the single. The album came out in September.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
To the surprise of (I presume) nobody, the new MGMT single is a plodding bore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtL5oMyBHPs

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Real Name Grover posted:

To the surprise of (I presume) nobody, the new MGMT single is a plodding bore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtL5oMyBHPs

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/920371804400685063

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

SgtScruffy posted:

I saw Phoenix last night. The setlist is Most of their new album and about half of WAP. The REAL cool part was the stage setup though:

(Don't read if youre going to one of the shows, it's a neat surprise)

instead of playing in front of a lighted backdrop, they play in front of a giant slanted mirror, and the stage FLOOR is made of lights :aaa:

The DC show? I saw them in New Haven the night before. If it was DC, how was The Anthem? I'm excited to hear about how good/bad it is.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

CRINDY posted:

The DC show? I saw them in New Haven the night before. If it was DC, how was The Anthem? I'm excited to hear about how good/bad it is.

Yup! I've been to three shows there now- two soft opening limited shows and this. It's a great venue - it feels like the 930 club, but they just made everything BIGGER.

It has a few flaws like minimal cell reception (but free WiFi!) And they're still figuring out how the kitchen works. 930 will still be tops, but this is definitely gonna be a solid venue once they iron out a few kinks

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

thrilla in vanilla posted:

I'm pretty disappointed with it honestly, the early singles are the best thing on here by a mile and it's all very one note. The idea of a pop beck album isn't inherently bad but it ended up being one idea stretched out to album length.

I've always liked upbeat Beck v:shobon:v

Like, I'll listen to this a million times before I listen to Sea Change once.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I listened to Fully Completely so I can better understand why Canada is grieving today and it sounded kinda like Michael Stipe fronting Pearl Jam, but not as good as either. Do I need to be Canadian for the Hip to click?

Shoegazing
Jan 29, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

I listened to Fully Completely so I can better understand why Canada is grieving today and it sounded kinda like Michael Stipe fronting Pearl Jam, but not as good as either. Do I need to be Canadian for the Hip to click?

If you want to understand why we're grieving and aren't fond of the music spend more time reading about Gord Downie as a person and maybe you'll get there.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I don't even know if this is the right thread for this, but Tycho released a video for Glider that incorporates Tarkovsky's Solaris into his visuals and it owns :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg_rZhpMuWA

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

angrygodofjebus posted:

I'm exactly the opposite. Sea Change is my favorite Beck album by a long stretch.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

angrygodofjebus posted:

What bums me out is that i love upbeat beck too. Midnite vultures and odelay are awesome. I just don't like this new one much at all :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

angrygodofjebus posted:

I agree on this even though I totally understand Sea Change being considered a better album.

Personally I think The Information was really, really solid and the best thing he's done in ages. Of course that's over 10 years old now...

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Julien Baker was awesome, new album is going to be great. I also came away impressed with Half Waif after not feeling their studio recordings.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm exactly the opposite. Sea Change is my favorite Beck album by a long stretch.

Guero is my favorite by far. All these different opinions kind of show what a fantastic artist he is, and that's super cool.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Sea Change is one of my favorite albums of all time. Probably top 20?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Agreed. I love poppy Beck like Sexx Laws, Girl, and Nausea but Sea Change is in my top 10. Beck has done well with many different kinds of music, I'm just not enjoying what I've heard from Colors.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
old news but I got to the Kurt Vile/Courtney Barnett collaboration album today and for me it is the definition of warm feel good music.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

Of the three big-name "indie" releases last week, Lotta Sea Lice came away the obvious winner for me. It's fuzzy and unpolished, but Vile and Barnett capture a special warmth on it. Both of their musical auras combine really well. Outta The Woodwork is a hell of a tune.

I also like the new Dan Deacon, even outside of its context as a soundtrack for a documentary about rats. He recorded a bunch of rats on a theremin and used the resulting recordings on several tracks, it's really cool. A bit more sparse than his past releases but the lack of frenetic energy actually helps each track create a new vibe.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Kinda of disappointing with the St. Vincent, it's fine enough, but I had high expectations since everything else she's done has been pretty much great. It's solid, just not the best, and her new style/persona isn't really my thing.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

T Bowl posted:

Kinda of disappointing with the St. Vincent, it's fine enough, but I had high expectations since everything else she's done has been pretty much great. It's solid, just not the best, and her new style/persona isn't really my thing.

Agreed, its high points are fun but overall it's disappointing, though at least it's interesting. Don't know if it's Antonoff's involvement or just the tone that isn't fully landing right now. I'll still bump Los Ageless and Fear The Future, at the very least.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Real Name Grover posted:

I say this as someone who really likes them: Don't go in expecting a lively, engaging set. Their shows are pretty by-the-numbers.

cool photo gallery

I went into seeing them with this post in my head but afterwards I'm of two minds. One is, yeah, they aren't a wacky stage-banter or theatrical live show. But the other is that getting to listen to two hours of six musicians put out such great music was really special. I have never seen them live and I'm most familiar with the album that came out this year, so no I'm not a super-fan, but seeing those dense, super-layered compositions brought to life was a treat.

They had an amazing light show. For me it really added to the cerebral and dreamy nature I feel in a lot of their songs. They had one movable set of spotlights above/behind the band (coming from the ceiling) and one movable set as footlights, kind of standard stuff. They also had two "rows" of triangle-shaped lights behind the band (see pic) which were used to great effect making patterns like: the sun rising and setting, traffic going across a city bridge, ambulances running after things, airport lights signaling to planes, and lots of other cool effects. It really added to the whole show and was great.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
meanwhile I think the new St Vincent is probably my fav album this year. like, i love literally every track on this thing. it's the first album in a long time where I just can't stop listening to it.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Lutha Mahtin posted:

War on Drugs

Well, having a seat was probably helpful :) Glad you enjoyed it.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Fever Ray put out a new single and video and it stuck with me pretty much instantly. Had to put on her first solo album playing to get it off my head and god, has it already been eight years since that?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

CRINDY posted:

Agreed, its high points are fun but overall it's disappointing, though at least it's interesting. Don't know if it's Antonoff's involvement or just the tone that isn't fully landing right now. I'll still bump Los Ageless and Fear The Future, at the very least.
Yeah Los Ageless is loving great, and really the only song I keep coming back to, there's a few others that aren't bad but overall not a big fan

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

:swoon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfPZ6hukcw8
:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lunsku posted:

Fever Ray put out a new single and video and it stuck with me pretty much instantly. Had to put on her first solo album playing to get it off my head and god, has it already been eight years since that?
I'm excited