Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That's what I love; they seem to be thoughtful, spiritual, gracious, mannered, and in a quest to better themselves and their knowledge.

It's just nobody else can do that, in their view, and should gently caress off and die somewhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In a situation where they need to defend themselves and their people, killing everyone onboard but saving and returning the children is the best they could probably do. Every adult on that ship was a valid target in regards to defending Rana 3. The Krill can look into it however they want, but Mercer can clear his conscience knowing that he saved those children. Perhaps the Krill would see it as dishonorable that the children didn't die with the rest of the crew, or maybe they see the children as warriors, thus valid targets.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

WampaLord posted:

I'm kinda playing Devil's Advocate a bit, obviously I'm not condoning child murder, but it's a pretty interesting ethical question. If you can be effectively 100% sure that they're going to become your enemy, why not just deal with it now?
Because it's not a utilitarian calculation. No reasonable person sits down and goes "hmm, maybe it would be more efficient in the long run to kill these children."

Even if a child is 100% guaranteed to be an "enemy," say by perfect brainwashing or something, they are still, currently, children. They do not have developed moral senses, and they do not have any agency. They do what adults tell them and don't have the ability to tell when they're being told something wrong. Therefore they have no culpability, and there's no justification to kill them.

All the adults on that ship were soldiers. Soldiers are typically cognizant of what they are complicit with. We don't know the Krill system, but it's likely they signed up and essentially agreed to make themselves legitimate targets by engaging in violent action against other people.

Personally, I'm sympathetic to more radical pacifism- even though they're soldiers killing them needlessly is not good, perhaps they could have just fried the bridge crew and taken over the ship that way? Though a lot of that runs into issues of unknown ability. Maybe a plan like that wasn't possible. If you get down to it, if there was no way to save the children and the colony... Mercer probably would have killed the children to save the colony.

And in any case all of this ignores the fact that their mission was an attempt at establishing peaceful relations with the Krill. It was built entirely on the notion that the future does not have to be like the present, so the premise that the kids will definitely grow up to be "enemies" is not the one presented in the show. You acknowledge that, but it's kind of the real crux of the moral dilemma in the show.

But even outside of that context, killing kids is bad.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

It is verifiably true in the sense that the Prophets are freaky timeless aliens with no proper concept of good and evil that messed with Bajorans for inscrutable purposes and somehow the moment this was revealed Bajorans didn't do a complete turn away from worshipping them but doubled down.

I mean that would probably happen in real life too but drat.

I remember the time the Federation was like "No, Bajor, you can't become a member until you become euphoric because you are enlightened by your own intelligence."

That was a good episode! :happened:

WampaLord posted:

Ironically, TNG's Enterprise does the exact same thing.

Tons of families with kids on that ship.

True. Galaxy-class spacecraft are not warships by design, however. Not officially. They're just so big that all that power can be rerouted for war purposes when required.

You know, through the main deflector dish. Ooh yeah, and the whole separating the Saucer Section thing they hardly ever did. Probably the dish thing, though, with an inverted tachyon pulse

Al Borland Corp. posted:

No culture with Kira Nerys can be all that bad.

:agreed:

Cojawfee posted:

In a situation where they need to defend themselves and their people, killing everyone onboard but saving and returning the children is the best they could probably do. Every adult on that ship was a valid target in regards to defending Rana 3. The Krill can look into it however they want, but Mercer can clear his conscience knowing that he saved those children. Perhaps the Krill would see it as dishonorable that the children didn't die with the rest of the crew, or maybe they see the children as warriors, thus valid targets.

We will almost certainly revisit this plot point later.

:speculate:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why were there kids on a warship, in space

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

Bad guys bad

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So what, every warship has a drat school on it? Every warship they blow up has a ton of kids on it? what the gently caress

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Perhaps it's a certain size or type? Or maybe that was even a science vessel of sorts, just the science they're doing is making a big experimental bomb and showing kids how effectively it cleans up human

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Space: the final frontier.
These are the voyages of the Krill Destroyer.
Its five-year mission:
to explore strange new worlds,
to seek out non Krills and destroy them,
to boldly go, where no Krill has gone before.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

adhuin posted:

Space: the final frontier.
These are the voyages of the Krill Destroyer.
Its five-year mission:
to explore strange new worlds,
to seek out non Krills and destroy them,
to boldly go, where no Krill has gone before.

Doing one-offs like this would own.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Majority Rule
(Season 1, Episode 7) Thursday 26th October
When two Union anthropologists go missing on a planet similar to 21st-century Earth, Ed sends a team led by Kelly to find them, but the mission quickly goes awry when they realize the society’s government is completely based on a public voting system to determine punishment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beLAuHcxlnY

Looks like Lamarr’s spotlight episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

So what, every warship has a drat school on it? Every warship they blow up has a ton of kids on it? what the gently caress

If you are warlike religious zealots every ship is a warship. Why children are onboard can be answered by any one of dozens of social reasons.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like when they were saying there were *FAMILIES* on the colony and one of the comic relief dudes was like "and I'm sure plenty of single people who don't want to die either" or something along those lines. Like some how human life has more value if you've formed a traditional family, or less if you have not, that's always felt like a pretty outdated view.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

The_Doctor posted:

Majority Rule
When two Union anthropologists go missing on a planet similar to 21st-century Earth, Ed sends a team led by Kelly to find them, but the mission quickly goes awry when they realize the society’s government is completely based on a public voting system to determine punishment

One more episode, where everything would have been spoiled solved, by transporter technology.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It does feel weird that the Krill aren't willing to consider peace from a purely self-serving perspective. History is littered with peace treaties and even alliances between groups who thought each other to be subhuman devils

Surely at least some Krill argue that the resources on Union-held worlds aren't worth the cost in lives obtaining those resources, even if they don't object to humans dying in the slightest

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

It does feel weird that the Krill aren't willing to consider peace from a purely self-serving perspective. History is littered with peace treaties and even alliances between groups who thought each other to be subhuman devils

Surely at least some Krill argue that the resources on Union-held worlds aren't worth the cost in lives obtaining those resources, even if they don't object to humans dying in the slightest

I mean, they just invented the verteron cascade, right? So clearly they aren't worried about whiping out all life on a planet from orbit.

Now if only they could figure out how to defeat a mid-size science vessel with a huge destroyer.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zzulu posted:

Didn't she refer to them as cadets?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

cheetah7071 posted:

Maybe there are like 20 quadrillion Krill around, so the cost of lives is comparatively small. Krill are konda notorious for that.

Besides, a lot of wars are based on the sunk cost fallacity. “We lost way to much in this war to give up. We owe it to our fallen comrades to see it trough. Their deaths shall not be meaningless! We will avenge them.“
It's actually quite sad how many petty skirmishes grew into massive causalities like that.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 17, 2017

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Snak posted:

Now if only they could figure out how to defeat a mid-size science vessel with a huge destroyer.

I feel like the Krill don't really understand ingenuity when it comes to combat. They seem to be interested in just sitting still, facing the other ship, and lazily exchanging fire until one of them goes boom. Compare this to the Orville, whose bridge crew comes up with such plans as "do nutty piloting tricks, thread the needle, get some shots off, then throw a metric ton of nukes at the problem".

In more horribly goony terms, the Krill are playing EVE Online, and the Union is a big fan of Freespace 2.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Why bother doing crazy rear end maneuvers if you're going to win handily in a slug fest and your opponent is currently engaged in one with you?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

thread the needle

I'm sure you meant to post hug the donkey.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Majority Rule

Very interesting by the look of it. Though I would've hoped for more "alien" looks to things.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah you can have 100% modern day earth just give everyone spots or something.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

Powder monkeys were aboard ships during the age of sail since they could fit in places larger crew members couldn't and avoid being shot while transporting gunpowder to cannon on deck. Midshipmen and cadets in the Royal Navy were also mostly minors.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah you can have 100% modern day earth just give everyone spots or something.

Perhaps they have spots in... other places.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zzulu posted:

We put 11 year olds on sailing ships going into battle. I have no problem whatsoever wrapping my head around an alien race taking kids that young and giving them real experience on a warship as a sort of military academy.

EDIT: I can go either way on if their parents were on board. I can see them having their families on board, or just sending their kids off at that age for military experience.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 17, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

If you are warlike religious zealots every ship is a warship. Why children are onboard can be answered by any one of dozens of social reasons.

Or biological. We don't know how Krill childhood works, maybe they need a substance excreted by their parents until they are 15 years old to live.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

It's early, so hopefully they will give some of the other alien races some depth going forward.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I really liked the use of a handheld hologram for changing looks, instead of having a doctor perform cosmetic surgery to make you look like alien of the week.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kingtheninja posted:

I really liked the use of a handheld hologram for changing looks, instead of having a doctor perform cosmetic surgery to make you look like alien of the week.

I think it's great that they're only using plot devices from tech they already explained OR tech they find in an episode. Very SG-1

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I like when they were saying there were *FAMILIES* on the colony and one of the comic relief dudes was like "and I'm sure plenty of single people who don't want to die either" or something along those lines. Like some how human life has more value if you've formed a traditional family, or less if you have not, that's always felt like a pretty outdated view.

It's the presence of children at risk that heighten people's caution. Ed and Kelly's divorced-but-working-together is not traditional, but even childless me has become more protective of children in general as I get older.

Like 20 year olds bumping sex parts definitely have a right to live. But kids even more so.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

I'll be honest, lots of times I don't even notice which thread I'm in anymore. That goes for more than just trek/Orville threads... It's all metadiscussion with repeat patterns now.

Whatever you do, don't do an inverse tachyon pulse in any of the Trek/Orville/Discovery threads or we're all hosed.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If you cross the franchises, you'll collapse the timelines!

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Too late!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Wow he looked even doughier then, usually that works in reverse for actors

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cojawfee posted:

Wasn't Rana 3 the planet slaughtered by the Husnock on TNG?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

This sparked another thought, the kids might not actually know what happened. They kept the teacher as a POW and sent the kids back; the kids might only know that the crew was killed somehow because something went wrong somewhere, but they were spared because of the new guys. And then they were rescued or captured by a Union ship.

I could be forgetting details or something though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Rana 4, but drat, good eye. He really did them a favor.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That was Delta Rana 4

edit: ^ god damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

That is some next level Trek trivia knowhow.