Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Mr Robot viewers are like that guy in Guardians of the Galaxy who doesn't understand metaphors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Elliot's monologue went from inner to outer because Rami Malak/Sam Esmail were breaking the fourth wall and literally talking to the viewers because of what happened/is currently happening with Trump, in case the video footage didn't make it clear enough. Jesus.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That, and Elliot is exactly the kind of guy who would have crazy inner monologues and as he became repeatedly more stressed out with both what he discovered and without Mr. Robot to talk to, start speaking out loud just to show how unhinged he was getting. Which is why it makes sense that not too long after, we see Mr. Robot firmly in control again. This is not a loving thing to complain about.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 17, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Especially since it was the best scene of the premiere!

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
^ best scene was Angela's monologue

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Irving hacking the FBI's car :hellyeah:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh yeah I forgot about the OnStar hack, that was amazing. Irving in general is such a great addition to the cast.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

precision posted:

Elliot's monologue went from inner to outer because Rami Malak/Sam Esmail were breaking the fourth wall and literally talking to the viewers because of what happened/is currently happening with Trump, in case the video footage didn't make it clear enough. Jesus.

Yeah, poo poo. He talks to the audience all of the time. It's not even a random aside; it's part of the narrative foundation.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Also, the monologue didn't go from inner to outer, it was inner the entire time. Hence the smash cut to him still sitting in the pizza place at the end. It was all in his head.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

Skizzzer posted:

^ best scene was Angela's monologue

Do you mean

the one

with all

that

loving method

pausing

?

Seriously, I liked the episode but that monologue was trash. I was worried the police were going to do a wellness check on me after not getting in contact with anyone for a couple of months on account of staring at the screen waiting for her to finish.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ShakeZula posted:

Also, the monologue didn't go from inner to outer, it was inner the entire time. Hence the smash cut to him still sitting in the pizza place at the end. It was all in his head.

This. Wondering why people are taking it so literally when it was crystal clear he was just lost in crazy-thought for who knows how long...

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Heh, I just noticed that Dave is saying this season seems like it's more appealing to casuals. That's not like the first two seasons which were HARDCORE MAN! TRUE TV VIEWERS ONLY!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Feenix posted:

This. Wondering why people are taking it so literally when it was crystal clear he was just lost in crazy-thought for who knows how long...

Seems like a dick move for his sister and the new character to leave him there having episode.

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Stoked for tonight's episode and sad to see the engagement with this thread way down.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

S2 turned off a lot of people. See: True Detective, Serial.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

pahuyuth posted:

I'm paraphrasing here but my son said something about Slater trying to release the AI from its E-Corp shackles and that stage 2 is blowing up the part of the simulation that keeps the AI locked up. He said that Elliot is so good at hacking because Elliot is a program himself but is not able to alter the simulation a la Neo in The Matrix.

His theory started going off the rails at that point but I do like his idea of Elliot and White Rose being self aware AI.

Does this theory have any basis in the show so far or has he been watching bladerunner and / or westworld lately?

Cool idea though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

ShakeZula posted:

Nah, I was specifically talking about how it's voice-over, then it's him talking on camera, then it's voice-over again. It was odd to me because it felt like they had a bunch of footage of him talking then re-wrote it later just to insert the Trump stuff.

Shitenshi posted:

Heh, I just noticed that Dave is saying this season seems like it's more appealing to casuals. That's not like the first two seasons which were HARDCORE MAN! TRUE TV VIEWERS ONLY!
I'm just asking for more subtlety. I'm not expecting you to go back and look at the stuff I posted during Season 1 but if you did, you'd see how a lot of my analysis was around how the show was showing its intentions in well done and subtle ways instead of just saying things out loud like, "oh man, Elliot, you are such a good hacker!"

I'm cool with retracting my opinion about the over-the-car camera edit and the ADR thing might just be me noticing it more and more (the last words in Valerian were some of the worst ADR I've ever heard and maybe broke me) but you can directly compare the 1984 long-take to Season 1's and see which one is better edited.

I'm still on board for the rest of the season. I read an interview with Esmail in which he said each season is just going to be different in theme and direction, so I'm giving up on the idea that Season 1 should be a target because it's not supposed to be. I'll stick to making gifs and giving positive notes instead of mentioning where all the cracks lie.

Here, I'll make the first positive note here: The opening scene. Irving in the Red Wheelbarrow.

I don't know about you folks but when I saw his style, his disposition, and that bluetooth, I thought we were seeing the past. This does not look like a person from the year 2016. Considering the year break the audience has had to come up with various theories surrounding parallel universes, alternate timelines, and general time travel, it's a good wink and nod for the show to make you think you're coming back to a new season in a day and year that isn't chronologically consistent. It wasn't until I saw the propped up iPad as a register that I realized this was still going to be present day and it was only then that the words he was speaking into his bluetooth made sense. This is a great opening scene and it makes me look forward to more Irving which, even if this scene hadn't done it, the OnStar scene would have.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 18, 2017

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Nah, I was specifically talking about how it's voice-over, then it's him talking on camera, then it's voice-over again. It was odd to me because it felt like they had a bunch of footage of him talking then re-wrote it later just to insert the Trump stuff.

Yeah, a lot of real world poo poo happened between s2 and s3. I like all the references to current times - I wonder if they were expecting Hilary to win and had to adjust the script?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Skizzzer posted:

Yeah, a lot of real world poo poo happened between s2 and s3. I like all the references to current times - I wonder if they were expecting Hilary to win and had to adjust the script?
For a show that's caused some folks to call Esmail a modern day Nostradamus, it'd be kinda hilarious if they actually did have to change stuff post-production because they couldn't predict Trump. I'm not sure what's more interesting, having to deal with a President being an outwardly, obvious bad guy or a President who was built and puppeted purely to calm the masses and keep them docile... oh poo poo... yeah, they definitely thought Hillary was gonna win.

Mameluke posted:

This is a really solid post.
I appreciate it but boy is it funny how my posts get received depending on how positive or negative I'm being.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 19, 2017

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

This is a really solid post. It seems right now like each season is separated by a marked shift in tone and a period of vast change unexplained time. Elliot's three days unconscious happened during the immediate aftermath of 5/9, while his week in a coma after being shot matched the week-long blackout. The tone of each season is different as well. This season feels more interconnected and fast-paced than the earlier two. It was really gratifying to see an episode that was full of Elliot (and Mr. Robot!) interacting with the rest of the main cast.

As far as irving, I didn't notice his Bluetooth until the hacking scene. The first time I saw the opening I believed it was the past, and the cashier he spoke to was a teenage Angela.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Didn't this exact same thing happen last season? Where an episode started off looking way too positive to be real

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

WHOA

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
...Oh :stare:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

JESUS CHRIST, IT'S SAW 3!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Didn't this exact same thing happen last season? Where an episode started off looking way too positive to be real

It was adderall last season but yeah

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And now we get a repeat of that intro but it's all sinister now :getin:

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011
Flipper!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RIP Elliot

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mr robot false flag

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Ungh I just want more whiterose and price scenes

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
That episode kicked rear end.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
loving tits this show has been on fire this season.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
this season is on a roll, it's a shame that so many people dropped off after Season 2 because so far Season 3 has been non-stop payoff for an entire season's worth of buildup.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
All of Joanna's obnoxious wannabe attempts at being a Machiavellian chessmaster and being the scuzziest human being alive blew right the gently caress up in her face. Serves her right.

Now all I need is Price's smug veneer to crack so bad he's reduced to a gibbering Emperor Palpatine type.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
:suspense:

so that episode just totally loving slayed

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Shitenshi posted:

All of Joanna's obnoxious wannabe attempts at being a Machiavellian chessmaster and being the scuzziest human being alive blew right the gently caress up in her face. Serves her right.

Now all I need is Price's smug veneer to crack so bad he's reduced to a gibbering Emperor Palpatine type.

That surprised me the most in a very surprising episode.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
MR. ROBOT v3.0 - "don't mistake my generosity for generosity"

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It's engrossing again.

My, oh my. This is gooood

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

After my scathing "bad opinion" review of Episode 1, I can confidently state you won't see that again for Episode 2 because holy poo poo was that the proper return to form that I came to expect last week and was craving for this week. Hot diggity drat what a loving good episode. I don't even know where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
God drat, that Joanna scene :stare: They said the driver was probably going to live, I wonder if he's gone as well or if he'll link up with Tyrell somehow. The way everything was put together was great too, from the song choice to the lighting & camera movement to the murder/suicide fakeout. Holy crap.

• Locked thread