Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Finding this at the record store two weeks before heading to LA to see 'em live for three nights feels like a good omen. Thanks, record store!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

caligulamprey posted:

Finding this at the record store two weeks before heading to LA to see 'em live for three nights feels like a good omen. Thanks, record store!

That rules. How do you always find the good poo poo?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

That rules. How do you always find the good poo poo?
I credit a solid 90% of my finds to crate digging for hours on end at Crossroads Records in Portland. Thankfully this one was on display, I was in and out in under an hour.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

I credit a solid 90% of my finds to crate digging for hours on end at Crossroads Records in Portland. Thankfully this one was on display, I was in and out in under an hour.

Have you seen the video from this album that was directed by David Lynch?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Have you seen the video from this album that was directed by David Lynch?
I love the I Predict video because:

1) Within ten seconds you can tell it was directed by David Lynch.
2) The Lady in the Radiator Eraserhead stage gets re-used.

EDIT: Hahaha! I keep Crossroads to a once a month-type of deal, blocking out a single Saturday because going to the place is a legit commitment.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 5, 2017

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

caligulamprey posted:

Crossroads is dangerous time sink. Kinda glad it is a bit of a drive for me.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Happy to snag this up at the live show - I hadn't realized Web of Mimicry only pressed 500 of these.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is that good?

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Temple of the Dog vinyl remaster is $17 and change today on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Temple-Dog-2-LP/dp/B01KKYZQRC/

Nice to see they're running a sale instead of jacking up the price due to Chris Cornell's recent passing.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

BigFactory posted:

Is that good?
I dig the poo poo out of it (and goddamn, they loving murdered it dead at the live show), but I'd be lying through my teeth if I told you I didn't miss Carla on violin. If you dug the more metal SGM tracks (The Donkey-Headed Adversary, 1997, Helpless Corpses Enactment, etc), it'll be up your alley.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
My Bloody Valentine are finally reissuing Isn't Anything and Loveless - https://pitchfork.com/news/my-bloody-valentine-announce-isnt-anything-and-loveless-vinyl-reissues/

Glad I never got the courage to bite the bullet on the $200+ bootlegs.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

On a whim I decided that I wanted to get a record player, so I got myself an AT-LP3. Unboxed it today and my dad surprised me with his crate of records from when he was a kid, didn't even know he had them! Most super dirty, but I found a clean ELO LP, threw it on with my dad. Very cool experience listening to something with my father that he hadn't heard in 30 years. I also dug out a random LP that I had never head of before and it turned out to be 100% fire (seriously), sounds so nice through my Magni 2 + HD650s.

I've ordered a bunch of cleaning supplies, new sleeves and a Vinyl Styl cleaning system.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 9, 2017

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I, Butthole posted:

My Bloody Valentine are finally reissuing Isn't Anything and Loveless - https://pitchfork.com/news/my-bloody-valentine-announce-isnt-anything-and-loveless-vinyl-reissues/

that shipping tho. $20, gently caress that.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Google Butt posted:

On a whim I decided that I wanted to get a record player, so I got myself an AT-LP3. Unboxed it today and my dad surprised me with his crate of records from when he was a kid, didn't even know he had them! Most super dirty, but I found a clean ELO LP, threw it on with my dad. Very cool experience listening to something with my father that he hadn't heard in 30 years. I also dug out a random LP that I had never head of before and it turned out to be 100% fire (seriously), sounds so nice through my Magni 2 + HD650s.

I've ordered a bunch of cleaning supplies, new sleeves and a Vinyl Styl cleaning system.

1. Awesome :)
2. Is that a potato crate? I was just at my buddy's house and he had about a dozen crates of taters in his garage; it didn't even occur to me to measure them, I might have to procure one or two
3. Is that oboe record the 100% Fire disc?
4. Fantastic photography, thank you for making nice pictures

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

dorium posted:

that shipping tho. $20, gently caress that.

I'm guessing that's the flat rate for ROW, because to Australia the cost comes to $150 including shipping for the 2x vinyl + 2x t-shirt bundle, which considering how often we get shafted on shipping is pretty good?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

pwn posted:

1. Awesome :)
2. Is that a potato crate? I was just at my buddy's house and he had about a dozen crates of taters in his garage; it didn't even occur to me to measure them, I might have to procure one or two
3. Is that oboe record the 100% Fire disc?
4. Fantastic photography, thank you for making nice pictures

It does look like a potato crate, probably as old as the records! Yes, I'll actually rip it and upload it as soon as I get my rca to 1/4" adapter.. Turns out haunting oboe with Spanish guitar is an amazing combination. Thanks :)

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'll be going to the Tampa Bay area in a couple of weeks for a day.

Tampa has lots of listings for record shops, but is there anywhere with a decent and reasonably priced prog selection?

Sound Exchange's online database shockingly has a handful of Hawkwind albums (in their warehouse), but they're expensive as poo poo and I'm assuming they're represses. I like digging through crates for slightly beaten-up original stuff and barely listen to anything current because I'm a weirdo.

Also, are there any decent shops in say, Gainesville or even Tallahassee? I assume there's nothing in Ocala.

I moved from St. Pete a few years ago but I trust these stores will have things that intrigue you:

Bananas Music -- They have a metric fuckton of records across two locations. Their "warehouse" has limited hours but you might find rarer stuff there. Otherwise you can literally spend an entire day perusing their selection at the main store. Seriously I've never encountered a store that just had the sheer quantity that Bananas has.

Planet Retro -- More metal/punk sort of stuff, but their selection is decent all around. I'm sure they've got a good selection of prog if that's what you're looking for.

Daddy Kool -- More contemporary stuff but it's literally a five minute drive from the above two mentioned stores, so it's still worth checking out while you're hanging out in St. Pete.

Sound Exchange is kind of a mixed bag. I've found some random poo poo there for a really good price, but you have to sift through a lot to find it. And as far as overall variety and pricing, you'll probably have better luck at Bananas or Planet Retro.

All in all, Tampa Bay (St. Pete side particularly) has some amazing record stores and you should find a lot of what you're looking for and then some. I was completely spoiled the years I lived there, not a lot of towns have a single good record store, let alone three-four.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Also hello thread, it's been a while since I posted anything. I assure you I've been wasting plenty of disposable income on a dead medium, but moving to a new place and putting a lot of record equipment in storage has kind of slowed things down.

Here's a random assortment of finds from the last five or six months.

Count Bass D - Too Much Pressure feat. Snoop Dogg
Count Bass D is probably one of the most underrated hip hop artists out there. This is a 12-inch single collaboration with another, slightly better known legend.

Psychic Temple - IV
I think someone else posted this earlier in the thread. I've been a fan of Chris Schlarb since he did the soundtrack to one of the best things born out of Something Awful, Dropsy.

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
Real zipper edition. When I inherited my mother-in-law's record collection after she died, she had the cover of this album, but the record was missing (I hear a lot of records were damaged by the zipper so it was probably thrown out). For :10bux: I figured it was worth having a complete copy.

J Dilla - Jay Stay Paid
The first posthumous album of Dilla's where he had zero involvement in. Unlike most later releases after Dilla's death, this is actually coherent and sounds like a completed album. You can probably thank Pete Rock for that. I think it was in legal limbo for a few years, but as you can see here it's back in print.

The Muppet Show
:jiggled:

Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Movie on Record
Oh, like you'd pass this up if you saw it while crate digging.

Elvis Costello and The Roots - Wise Up: Thought remixes & reworks
Elvis Costello, The Roots, and Blue Note Records. This 10" release speaks to me, man.

Portugal. The Man - Woodstock
Surprisingly harder to find than you'd think. I still can't quite wrap my head around Portugal having a "global smash hit" but I recently heard Feel It Still playing over the intercom of PetSmart so v:shobon:v

DJ Harrison - HazyMoods
One of Richmond, Virginia's best and brightest right here. This is his debut release on Stones Throw Records, but you can find a ton of his poo poo on his bandcamp, and it's all excellent (want to start with just one? Get TapeCookies). I don't want to oversell the hype here, but the dude is Dilla-esque in quality and output. His jazz ensemble Butcher Brown is also incredible, but that's for another time.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I am at work and didn't have a chance to take some pictures (and I am a little bitter no one commented on my Parliament/Funkadelic find last week), but I checked out a Dimple Records for the first time to dig through some vinyl and the selection was WAY better than I expected and the prices were pretty much Goodwill-tier. I got records from the following artists for 1.99 and they all seem to be in decent shape:

Smoky Robinson
Donna Summers
The Crusaders
Jefferson Airplane
Grover Washington

And a Jean Michael Jarre Essentials album for 3.99. I will definitely need to check out more of these in the area. They had hundreds of used records there which is a lot more than I was expecting.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

I'm looking for a new record player, something decent mid-rangey not too expensive with a plastic dust cover (right now I've a cloth dust cover Stanton one).

I've been looking at a Audio-Technica AT-LP120USBHC, but am unsure about how good it is or if there are any better players available in the same price range?

Anyone got any ideas? Cheers!

Snapes N Snapes fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 12, 2017

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Snapes N Snapes posted:

I'm looking for a new record player, something decent mid-rangey not too expensivey with a plastic dust cover (right now I've a cloth dust cover Stanton one).

I've been looking at a Audio-Technica AT-LP120USBHC, but am insure about how good it is or if there are any better players available in the same price range?

I'm not sure about others in the price range that might be better, but I am super happy with mine. I also have a belt drive audio-technica (LP60) that has worked like a champ for years, so I definitely trust the brand.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

angrygodofjebus posted:

I'm not sure about others in the price range that might be better, but I am super happy with mine. I also have a belt drive audio-technica (LP60) that has worked like a champ for years, so I definitely trust the brand.

The AT LP3 is priced halfway between the two, and has the features of the LP60 I like (automatic start/stop, built-in preamp) with the adjustable tone arm of the 120. I got that one a few months ago to replace my LP60 and absolutely love it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Snapes N Snapes posted:

I'm looking for a new record player, something decent mid-rangey not too expensivey with a plastic dust cover (right now I've a cloth dust cover Stanton one).

I've been looking at a Audio-Technica AT-LP120USBHC, but am insure about how good it is or if there are any better players available in the same price range?

I have an AT-LP120USB and I love it.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Thanks fellas, looks like it's gonna be the one!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Ballz posted:

I moved from St. Pete a few years ago but I trust these stores will have things that intrigue you:

Bananas Music -- They have a metric fuckton of records across two locations. Their "warehouse" has limited hours but you might find rarer stuff there. Otherwise you can literally spend an entire day perusing their selection at the main store. Seriously I've never encountered a store that just had the sheer quantity that Bananas has.

Ended up going to the Bananas main store and the warehouse.

Holy poo poo at the warehouse. I wish I had a lot more money and I wish I lived closer than 300 miles from St. Petersburg. There was so much stuff I wanted, even with just a handful of prog albums. Ended up with a couple of Beach Boys albums - Love You and Little Deuce Coupe - and King Crimson's In the Wake of Poseidon. They had the only copy of the Beach Boys' Stack o' Tracks I've ever seen on vinyl, but couldn't get myself to pull the trigger.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Figured I would post this here in case anyone was interested. I saw Chromeo post an announcement that they were re-releasing their album "Fancy Footwork" as a 10th anniversary LP. It has a ton of the classic Chromeo tracks, as well as a bunch of remixes on double-white vinyl. It's only $25 + Shipping which I though was pretty reasonable for a double album.

Track List:

side A

Intro
Tenderoni
Fancy Footwork
Bonafied Lovin
(Tough Guys)
My Girl Is Calling Me (A Liar)
Outta Sight

side B

Opening Up
(Ce Soir On Danse)
Momma's Boy
Call Me Up
Waiting 4 U
100%

side C

Tenderoni (MSTRKRFT Remix)
Fancy Footwork (Crookers Remix)
I Am Somebody - DJ Mehdi feat. Chromeo
Bonafied Lovin (Yuksek Remix)

side D

Needy Girl (Lifelike Remix)
Fancy Footwork (Laidback Luke Remix)
Bonafied Lovin (Jori Hulkkonen Remix)

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009

Thanks for posting this. I've been waiting for a reissue of this for quite some time.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Ballz posted:

Raiders of the Lost Ark: The Movie on Record
Oh, like you'd pass this up if you saw it while crate digging.

No, I don't think I could pass it up. I didn't even know they did this kind of thing for movies. I know about NFL records were are just sounds of games and those records that are just sounds of car engines, but I don't recall seeing something like this. Does it have isolated tracks of dialogue and sound effects, or are they integrated into the music?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Detective Thompson posted:

No, I don't think I could pass it up. I didn't even know they did this kind of thing for movies. I know about NFL records were are just sounds of games and those records that are just sounds of car engines, but I don't recall seeing something like this. Does it have isolated tracks of dialogue and sound effects, or are they integrated into the music?

From the back:

Basically it's like turning the movie into a radio drama, with musical interludes, sound effects and dialogue from scenes of the movie, turning it into like a cliff notes summary of the film.

I remember seeing a similar record for the original Star Wars a while back, I guess there was a niche audience for these in the 70s and 80s, before the advent of home video.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I used to have a taped copy of the Monty Python and the Holy Grail record, and as a teen I thought it was the funniest thing. Lots of silliness around the movie parts.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I have an SNL LP from the first season like that. It’s basically an episode or best-of in audio form.

No musical guests, ironically.

(This copy is a repress from the late 80s. The original issue from ‘76 has a purple title.)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

From the back:

Basically it's like turning the movie into a radio drama, with musical interludes, sound effects and dialogue from scenes of the movie, turning it into like a cliff notes summary of the film.

I remember seeing a similar record for the original Star Wars a while back, I guess there was a niche audience for these in the 70s and 80s, before the advent of home video.

But without being able to see Nazis melt what's the point?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Sparks being all nice by not upcharging for signed vinyl at the show. :rock:

Couple of shots I took tonight:

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Picked up some beep boop music along with another Eels record to get that collection going.

Souljacker rules no doubt but the Sonic Mania rec is awesome as gently caress. The packaging is super nice and I love the blue.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

I, Butthole posted:

i bought them, almost hard to believe they might be real after all this time. that shipping cost to the US seems absurd, but i'm used to bleep who can maybe do things more cheaply due to relative volume i guess

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
I have a copy of Loveless of questionable provenance (I think it's one of the Plain recordings that Kevin Shields hates) so I might have to pick up that as well as Isn't Anything.

$20 shipping is kind of a drag. Nothing seems to indicate this won't make it to record stores, might just wait for that.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
The Black Friday RSD list is up.

Only thing I halfway care about is the Shawn Lee album and the Skyrim disc.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Another underwhelming RSD list.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
no kidding, call me when this cover of carry on gets pressed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIl7d1VVwOc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Maybe its because I am a vinyl noob, but I was definitely interested in a few of those records like:

Chuck Berry
Isaac Hayes
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Albert Ayler