Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

HOT DANG, A REISSUE OF THE FORBIDDEN ZONE SOUNDTRACK!

(EDIT: in regards to the RSD list: http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
really wish that Gorillaz release was like an outtake 12" or something instead of just a 2x picture disc of Humanz

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'm into that Bernie Worrell record and a couple others, but I doubt it's enough to drag me out of the house on black friday

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
They did a reissue of a Leonard Nimoy album and it wasn't even Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy. Lame.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
interesting how many of these are posthumous, i wonder if record store day has been a boon to the estates of some of these guys. first time ive noticed it but its probably been this way for a while

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

HOT DANG, A REISSUE OF THE FORBIDDEN ZONE SOUNDTRACK!

(EDIT: in regards to the RSD list: http://recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases)

Okay word? I’m totally down to grab that.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

stay depressed posted:

interesting how many of these are posthumous, i wonder if record store day has been a boon to the estates of some of these guys. first time ive noticed it but its probably been this way for a while

I wonder too, because the first thing that caught my eye was the Poncier album. I dig that but I assume the proceeds will go to those terrible shrews that sucked the life out of him, so maybe I'll pass.

Other than that I might get the Gram Parsons live album and maybe the Richard Hell repress.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

MrSargent posted:

Maybe its because I am a vinyl noob, but I was definitely interested in a few of those records like:

Chuck Berry
Isaac Hayes
Lee "Scratch" Perry
Albert Ayler

Just go record shopping, thrifting, or even discogs. Don't go buy overpriced represses of that kinda stuff

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Papa John Misty posted:

Just go record shopping, thrifting, or even discogs. Don't go buy overpriced represses of that kinda stuff

That’s fair. I have only been collecting since April and just haven’t found any of those in decent condition yet.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Barnes and Noble has the reissue Candlebox / Lucy double for $26

Also the Skid Row B Sides reissue for $14

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CPL593H posted:

They did a reissue of a Leonard Nimoy album and it wasn't even Two Sides of Leonard Nimoy. Lame.

highly illogical

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

MrSargent posted:

That’s fair. I have only been collecting since April and just haven’t found any of those in decent condition yet.

The good news is, Black Friday RSD tends to be about 1/4 of the crowd size of regular RSD, and it's always super-chill around here (Seattle) - a good excuse to chat with other record people and hang out. There's no fighting for records, you just tell people what you're looking for and they hand it to you.

In other words even if the list is underwhelming and there's only 1 or 2 things you want it can still be fun to go out and interact with your fellow humans for the experience, if that's your thing.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Well, I wanted to pick up a reprint of Mondo's Turbo Kid soundtrack, but I forgot that they're on central time and not eastern. I check it an hour past when they post it and they're of course all gone.

I need to remember that every record store probably watches their new releases like hawks since marking up them exclusive Mondo releases is probably easy money.

Transferrins
Aug 18, 2014

Soiled Meat
Man that's rough, but you gotta keep your head up. Do some other activities you like, go for a walk, just try not to think about how happy you would be if you gotten there in time.
Maybe you can leave a little gap on your shelf where it would have fit and explain to visitors that the empty spot after the the thing soundtrack is where turbo kid is supposed to be.
They will sympathize and maybe suggest a different twitter account to track the latest releases and you can commiserate about resellers making it harder on the true heads.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
drat, dude

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Transferrins posted:

Man that's rough, but you gotta keep your head up. Do some other activities you like, go for a walk, just try not to think about how happy you would be if you gotten there in time.
Maybe you can leave a little gap on your shelf where it would have fit and explain to visitors that the empty spot after the the thing soundtrack is where turbo kid is supposed to be.
They will sympathize and maybe suggest a different twitter account to track the latest releases and you can commiserate about resellers making it harder on the true heads.
:v:

I just think it's funny how much resellers hit this stuff to the "OMG EXCLUSIVES"-ness of vinyls these days-- as someone who is very passive about it. Sort of like when I was like "wow, that Nintendo Mini SNES sounds like a cool thing... wait people are waiting in line for this poo poo for 20 hours so they can scalp them? gently caress that!"

Transferrins
Aug 18, 2014

Soiled Meat
That's capitalism i guess, don't let it get to you. Popularity fades over time so if you're persistent/intuitive you'll get what you want.

It gives you time to explore what is available to you now and see what else you like. Hit a few favorites in a row on youtube and check the sidebar for recommendations (also click don't like on bad suggestions), it's really good these days and combined with discogs you'll find a ton of stuff.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Transferrins posted:

That's capitalism i guess, don't let it get to you. Popularity fades over time so if you're persistent/intuitive you'll get what you want.

It gives you time to explore what is available to you now and see what else you like. Hit a few favorites in a row on youtube and check the sidebar for recommendations (also click don't like on bad suggestions), it's really good these days and combined with discogs you'll find a ton of stuff.

Exactly. I just thought it was funny how much I see stuff like this sell out instantly online. So many ~OMG EXCLUSIVES~ now that vinyl is becoming more popular again. Especially since it is an easy flip for scalpers or whatever.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mondo Tees ruined Death Waltz. I'm so glad that John Carpenter went with Sacred Bones for his new releases.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CPL593H posted:

Mondo Tees ruined Death Waltz. I'm so glad that John Carpenter went with Sacred Bones for his new releases.

Amen. I'm happy im getting a variant for his anthology release. really excited for that one.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Sacred Bones brings me Marissa Nadler records, and for that, I am pleased.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Saw Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith last night. She played the new album (The Kid) in full and it ruled.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I completely forgot I ordered this. Just came in right now, this rules. Such a good day.

Edit:

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 20, 2017

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
The moldy salmon color variant.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Giga Gaia posted:

The moldy salmon color variant.

Lmao, I don’t remember what they labeled the variant as originally.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
The "Whatever scraps were left at the pressing plant" Variant?

I'm not making fun, they legit did that sometimes. My friend has some shellac thats like, 2 colours just because they needed to use up whatever colour was left.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Skeezy posted:

Lmao, I don’t remember what they labeled the variant as originally.

"Weeping Sakura". It's, uh, definitely a unique varient.

It was a nice surprise in the mail. Seems like I pre ordered it ages ago.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think it looks pretty rad

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Moton records limited box set arrived. Comes in a sick cloth bag and dope rear end carboard mailer

Lets Go Into Space Vol III space disco comp on translucent/grey vinyl with death-star-as-nightclub cover

WTF record of the month goes to this:

the shop i got it from doesn't let you listen to anything, but a Roger Troutman and Zappp / highland warrior cosplay crossover was too intriguing to pass up.

Bo Diddley reissue action and assorted 45s

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Happy Rocktober

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Starting to clean my dads collection:

Triton x-100/99% iso alcohol/distilled water mix, followed up with a 100% distilled water and vacuumed with the Squeaky Clean MKIII. Waiting on my Hepastat256 quat which should eliminate any static. Very happy with the result so far!

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 23, 2017

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the squeaky clean does a great job.

I had some records that ended up underwater in a grey water flood years back, and it cleaned those up like new.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY6gQ6nurR8

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Just arrived from the UK.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!

jeeves posted:

Well, I wanted to pick up a reprint of Mondo's Turbo Kid soundtrack, but I forgot that they're on central time and not eastern. I check it an hour past when they post it and they're of course all gone.

I need to remember that every record store probably watches their new releases like hawks since marking up them exclusive Mondo releases is probably easy money.

The turbo kid soundtrack seems to be back in stock in the translucent green colour, just ordered it and got email conformation. https://mondotees.com/products/turbo-kid-chronicles-of-the-wasteland?variant=46176705870

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Did anyone else order FLORAL SHOPPE and if so have you also not received it yet?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Cross-posting from the doom thread:

Dead Roots Stirring is being repressed, you can order it now.
http://armageddonlabel.bigcartel.co...-2lp-w-download
If you're European for some reason.
https://www.stickman-records.com/releases/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Mike_V posted:

Did anyone else order FLORAL SHOPPE and if so have you also not received it yet?

I didn't even know this was released again, dangit.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

So uh, any thoughts on this?

I know it’s portable so already it’s probably kind of meh, but it does sound like a step up from a Crosley with a belt drive and replaceable stylus. I’ve been wanting a halfway decent turntable that can handle 78s, so maybe a Dilla themed box is the way to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ballz posted:

So uh, any thoughts on this?

I know it’s portable so already it’s probably kind of meh, but it does sound like a step up from a Crosley with a belt drive and replaceable stylus. I’ve been wanting a halfway decent turntable that can handle 78s, so maybe a Dilla themed box is the way to go?

78 rpm records require a special kind of stylus so this wouldn't really solve your problem. Also, better turntables than this have the 78 speed. This is the exact same kind of junk Crosley makes, save your money and buy something better.