Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Darkrenown posted:

I posted something similar in the WoT thread recently too. We might actually need a WoWP thread if this takes off again.

I have no idea what I am doing, I just shoot the red dots but I seem to be good at it as I get top exp a lot of the time. It's very easy to drop in and play for a few games then go do something else.

My only gripe so far is it is very easy to level, a little too easy as I am in tier 4 planes and I really shouldn't be just yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Does it fly like war thunder at all? I tried warplanes when it first came out and it was a crock of poo poo but war thunder is still really fun and their arcade flight mode works great with kb+m

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
Kind of tempted to cash in on the Kutuzov refund and get something else. If carries were more common I would definitely keep it, though.

I don't know. It isn't as though the other tier 8s are incredibly enticing.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Kind of tempted to cash in on the Kutuzov refund and get something else. If carries were more common I would definitely keep it, though.

I don't know. It isn't as though the other tier 8s are incredibly enticing.

Kutuzov refund?

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I'm in SEAMN in world of warplanes... sure... very appropriate.

Seems stupidly easy to level, and I'm not sure I've encountered a human yet in PVP battles. It seems way more arcade like than war thunder.

Also DUNKN we should be earning at least 900 oil a day to get us our member increase.... unfortunately, it's been like a month and many of you are slackers.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Thronde posted:

Kutuzov refund?

Tomorrow you will be able to get a refund on the Kutuzov or Belfast by selling them. They're also being removed from the store.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Tomorrow you will be able to get a refund on the Kutuzov or Belfast by selling them. They're also being removed from the store.

You'd be crazy to get a refund right now.

It's what, 5km smoke detection for cruisers firing guns?

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Kutuzov getting removed from shop??? I am really enticed to get it. And refunding Kutuzov? Why would you refund the most OP ship in game?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

They're also being removed from the store.

Permanently or no?

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
They have to offer the refund because people are incredibly salty that their broken-rear end premiums are now slightly less broken thanks to the smoke change.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Im not following game's news, what are those smoke changes supposed to be exactly?

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lady Morgaga posted:

Kutuzov getting removed from shop??? I am really enticed to get it. And refunding Kutuzov? Why would you refund the most OP ship in game?

That amount of gold would put me in Missouri range.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Lady Morgaga posted:

Im not following game's news, what are those smoke changes supposed to be exactly?

Ships in/behind smoke increase their visibility while firing. Destroyers go to 3km, while battleships go to 12km or so. Cruisers are somewhere in the middle.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

That amount of gold would put me in Missouri range.

ShutupShutupSHUTupSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

Burt posted:

ShutupShutupSHUTupSHUTUPSHUTUPSHUTUP.

100k free xp to my own free mighty Mo....

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Also Jesus why would you get rid of a ship that can never be purchased again.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

wdarkk posted:

Ships in/behind smoke increase their visibility while firing. Destroyers go to 3km, while battleships go to 12km or so. Cruisers are somewhere in the middle.

I wonder about the mechanics of it. Lets say it adds 8km visibility range to cruisers. But what it adds those 8km to? You sit in smoke your visibility is zero. Now it makes it 8km? Its not a big deterrent for ship with twentyish km range. Well I guess you could be spotted by sneaky DD but it seems not to be a biggie.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

wdarkk posted:

Also Jesus why would you get rid of a ship that can never be purchased again.

It depends on how annoying the smoke change is. Besides, I already have a 19pt Soviet captain now, and the main reason for me to play a Kutuzov is to make money. If the Missouri is a better money maker I could use it to fund my other boats, and git gud at BBs.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lady Morgaga posted:

I wonder about the mechanics of it. Lets say it adds 8km visibility range to cruisers. But what it adds those 8km to? You sit in smoke your visibility is zero. Now it makes it 8km? Its not a big deterrent for ship with twentyish km range. Well I guess you could be spotted by sneaky DD but it seems not to be a biggie.

It doesn't add so much as set, like a reverse radar.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
While its a nerf it doesnt seem to hinder Kutuzov much.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I have a 19 point captain on that ship as well. I use the ship both for cash, but also to farm elite xp for my other captains. My kutuzov is specifically decked out for max captain xp.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

There's definitely a few things I wouldn't have been able to pull off that I did with the Kutuzov under the past/current smoke rules.

That said those were rare-rear end desperation moves.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

wdarkk posted:

There's definitely a few things I wouldn't have been able to pull off that I did with the Kutuzov under the past/current smoke rules.

That said those were rare-rear end desperation moves.

Seems like a negligible change for cruisers.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

MikeC posted:

Seems like a negligible change for cruisers.

The change is apparently targeted at battleships shooting from smoke.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
So a couple things.

1.) I think the changes to smoke actually discourage team play.
2.) If they're going to change these detection values for ships shooting in smoke, I better be able to see other ships at the same detection values when they're shooting out of smoke.

I will probably sell my belfast... why because I already have all tier 10 British ships, and the captain is wonky setup... and a Nelson and a Warspite. Why not take the doubloons for a ship I haven't played in months at a super crowded premium tier. This change will hurt the belfast much more than the Kutuzov. Same with the Flint.

Which brings me to my next point. Most of my tier 10's are spec'd for AA, which will be useless in clan battles. This means I basically need to change my specs. Very generous of them to let us do it for free, but I hope they let me change AFTER clan battles is over. Better yet, they should let everyone rent a 19 point captain and he can be spec'd however you want and changed for free.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Realistically, Belfast - and the entire British CL line honestly - is barely affected. Their smoke detectability ranges are short enough that an enemy ship will nearly be within hydro range by the time they spot you. To say nothing of the radar on Belfast (or Edinburgh up, if you're just using friendly smoke).

Kutuzov, whose smoke detectability is just shy of 8km if I recall correctly, actually did take a slight nerf, as that's enough of a gap for a DD to actually slip in close and remain unnoticed. It's also not carrying radar or (a long enough range) hydro to punish them for doing so. And honestly that detectability should be higher, but I guess they couldn't bring themselves to nerf one of the most cancerous ships in the game too much.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

The smoke problems worked both ways anyway, you just had to "git gud" - if there's 3 opposing ships hiding in smoke and spamming, you wait them out or get someone with non poo poo hydro to peek at them from behind an island and all your BBs unleash. Conversely if you smoked right you could support a lot of your team mates, especially if you are an aggressive DD player (like me)

The problem isn't smoke, the problem is crybabies being unable to deal with it: "wah I charged a smoke cloud containing 3 belfasts with hydro on and died, gently caress YOU game for my lack of skill". The most fun I have in a CA/CL is to hydro and charge down DDs with "premature smoke ejaculation" and their visibility obscured, especially in an emerald where you can control every torp.

Cancelbot fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 18, 2017

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

World of Warplanes is bizarrely OK. Not "blow your balls off" good, but... if the beta/launch had been where it is now, it probably wouldn't have been a flaming failure strewn across the runway. If the mechanics were a little more well-explained and the sound was a bit punchier, and controls a little better, I would tentatively call it good.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So not worth the time then.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I have never had many problems fighting Kutuzovs but in the two games I played with it I could see why pubbies struggle to fight it (they can't shoot for poo poo and much less can shoot in smoke).
The Russian Cruiser line is the least enjoyable for me, let's see if the Stalingrad is worth it.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

orange juche posted:

So not worth the time then.

It's amusing and will entertain you but there's not much depth even compared to Warships and won't keep you awake wondering about builds and strats.

It is a lot of fun though.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Yesterday I learned something that can be useful to you guys too. If you division a T8 ship with a T7 carrier, usually a Saipan, you're guaranteed to avoid T10 games. If you division with a super unicum Saipan, even better :v:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
So these refunds are new to me, is it because:
a) I am just missing it
b) WGEU is not offering refunds
c) WGEU IS offering refunds, but are too loving poo poo at their jobs to have announced something that is presumably happening tomorrow
?

E: Oh, it's buried in the smoke change section of the patch notes rather than being highlighted in any way. Cool.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Oct 18, 2017

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Burt posted:

won't keep you awake wondering about builds and strats.

Hate to break it to you but Warships isn't that deep either.

Warplanes is pretty good as far as an arcade plane shooter game goes. M+KB controls are quite solid, graphics are nice and the sound is pretty mediocre.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I hope people actually show up for the first day of clan wars...

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Update does free captain respecs, which is nice. I'm probably going to drop AFT on the DM for something else, but I'm not sure what. I don't think I'll change my captain build on the gearing.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I should be available for tomorrow. I'll chat on Discord tonight with you guys.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

+1/-1 matchmaking and missions that reward players for playing to the role of their class. Maybe World of Warships could borrow these ideas from World of Warp-oh god what the hell is going on with 2017

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

+1/-1 matchmaking and missions that reward players for playing to the role of their class. Maybe World of Warships could borrow these ideas from World of Warp-oh god what the hell is going on with 2017

Plus if you use +1/-1 matchmaking and just plug the gaps with bots like WP does, the teams will probably do better anyway. No more being the green or blue player bottom tier in a team full of potatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
WOWPs definitely does a lot of things right. It's pretty scary.

Can't wait for 2021 where we get a nice homogenized experience across all their games taking all the good QoL stuff from each.

UI scaling from WOTs.

Role based missions and +/- 1 MM from WOWPs.

Whatever good thing WOWs does :derp: