Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Counter point: collecting pieces of heart containers is lame and not rewarding, and Zelda is actually not great compared to other games as far as a sense of progression is concerned

To me the fun was always in traversing and exploring a fantasy world, not being rewarded with incremental loot or dungeon specific items

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KingSlime posted:

Counter point: collecting pieces of heart containers is lame and not rewarding, and Zelda is actually not great compared to other games as far as a sense of progression is concerned

To me the fun was always in traversing and exploring a fantasy world, not being rewarded with incremental loot or dungeon specific items

I guess for me it's a matter that that exploring feels less immersive as a result of how they broke up the content. I'd have honestly preferred if they took four or five shrines' worth of content, made them into rooms in a single, larger location, and put that location in a meaningful place in the world. Something that feels less "gamey" than the current system, I guess.

Lore spoiler
Also it's kind of hosed up that Hylia has, like, 100 Sheikah monks basically mummify themselves as part of these rituals to even provide you these spirit orbs. Like, every Shrine has a dead person in it, and they all seemingly willingly placed themselves where they are at, so the good guys of this game were sacrificing triple digits worth of people in the name of their Goddess.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Hahaha yeah I thought that was an awful lot of faith as well

I'm barely 40 hours in so maybe by hour 80 I'll be wishing that the shrines had individual or even clustered themes. I'm surprised each major region doesn't even provide some half assed tileset or color scheme change.

The divine beasts are a cool break but I guess those also just reuse the same environmental assets for each one of the 4

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The reward system in Zelda was bonkers though if you think about it. Difficult shrines or most side quests yielded basic weapons, a simple bundle of arrows, a piece of food, especially in the first half of the game. With no real weapon or character stats or talent trees it was actually very devoid of mechanisms players could manipulate to influence combat.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Lore spoiler
Also it's kind of hosed up that Hylia has, like, 100 Sheikah monks basically mummify themselves as part of these rituals to even provide you these spirit orbs. Like, every Shrine has a dead person in it, and they all seemingly willingly placed themselves where they are at, so the good guys of this game were sacrificing triple digits worth of people in the name of their Goddess.

Eh, that was done by Sheikah 10,000 years earlier, not by the Hylians.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

XyrlocShammypants posted:

The reward system in Zelda was bonkers though if you think about it. Difficult shrines or most side quests yielded basic weapons, a simple bundle of arrows, a piece of food, especially in the first half of the game. With no real weapon or character stats or talent trees it was actually very devoid of mechanisms players could manipulate to influence combat.

The reward is the orb itself. You cleared a shrine, etc.

I get wanting a more tangible reward but they got 120 shrines to work with. Maybe they should have tucked some neat slate upgrades in a few critical, hard to miss shrines (toss a few npcs that are like DUDE YOU SHOULD REALLY GO TO THIS SHRINE while you're at it).

Maybe a chu chu upgrade to the bombs, ice blocks that do area damage when shattered, a heat sensor on the camera, quicker cooldown on stasis etc. Non essential but meaningful bonuses

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

The one thing that I wish they'd add, but don't expect them to, is the ability to boost forward when paragliding.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
I really liked breath of the wild but i always wonder how it would have been with the same open world but with like 8 big dungeons instead of the shrines and specific items being required to get certain places

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

whaley posted:

I really liked breath of the wild but i always wonder how it would have been with the same open world but with like 8 big dungeons instead of the shrines and items being required to get certain places

that almost sounds like regular zelda but with a Big Map

as TP highlighted, this isn't really fun

acksplode
May 17, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah it's weird. It looks like it's a reference to an old Buddhist practice that sometimes involved suicide, sometimes didn't. Maybe they were posed after their natural, peaceful deaths and being mummified that way is your ticket into the best parts of Hylian heaven.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Twilight Princess had a pretty crummy overworld though

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
true, and maybe it could be like the plateu but taken further

you start with one area with one major dungeon, then are free to run around the next 3 within a larger area after getting a glider upgrade or something. The remainder of the map with the remaining 5 dungeons opens up after those three are cleared.

a layered progression a la Mega Man and Bass, I've always dug that compromise between open world and directed experience

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

whaley posted:

I really liked breath of the wild but i always wonder how it would have been with the same open world but with like 8 big dungeons instead of the shrines and specific items being required to get certain places

Basically the game would have been incredible if the same people made it for PC. Portability yea yea yea but god drat can you imagine if the hardware supported full musical scores and voice acting, more texture etc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

whaley posted:

Better

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

whaley posted:

Hell yes.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Is Master mode even worth it in BOTW? I'm thinking of starting a new game.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

KingSlime posted:

that almost sounds like regular zelda but with a Big Map

as TP highlighted, this isn't really fun

All of Link's mobility in BOTW is wonderful. Keep all of that, this whole engine for a new Zelda game, but just have more poo poo integrated into the actual game world. and less stealth sections.

I don't even mind the number of dungeons, literally everything about this game would be fine as-is if they had come up with any other means of doling out spirit orbs than they did.

It doesn't help I think that I played a LOT of Horizon Zero Dawn not too long ago and it's not fair to really compare the two games, but I think it's an open-world fatigue that's dampening my experience.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I do have a fairly major complaint against BotW.

The random boss fights you can stumble into are really incredible, but it's sort of a shame that there's nothing unique to be earned from them, just better loot and resources and stuff.
It's cool to see folks admit "here's the part of the game I never saw and consequently deemed missing instead of the barest hint of introspection"

Basically the game would have been incredible if the same people made it for PC. Portability yea yea yea but god drat can you imagine if the hardware supported full musical scores and voice acting, more texture etc
And this is just wholly orthogonal to Whaley's point about the arrangement of puzzles and content. Voice acting wouldn't meld 15 shrines together somehow.

And locking out parts of the world is super awesome in open world games. It's always the capstone of GTA, some artificial barrier to keep you confined to 1/3rd of the area, then 2/3rds, then the 'last' island. Super innovative stuff getting thrown out here that isn't just bad rehashes of prior art.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Not artificially gating travel to regions is the best thing about BotW.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JawnV6 posted:

It's cool to see folks admit "here's the part of the game I never saw and consequently deemed missing instead of the barest hint of introspection"

What? I killed like two of the rock golem guys and two of the big one-eyed bastards and I got some poo poo from 'em but it was just weapons and monster parts and tons of ore, which is cool but nothing super exciting.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
you, a dumb nerd: actually the universally beloved game is bad because I get sad when my leaf breaks

me, normal: zelda is fun and you can throw a hammer at a goblin.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

What? I killed like two of the rock golem guys and two of the big one-eyed bastards and I got some poo poo from 'em but it was just weapons and monster parts and tons of ore, which is cool but nothing super exciting.

Sounds like you may have missed the Three Brothers and Frost Talus quests.

Edit: Not to mention the Hinox on Eventide Island.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 17, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Who said anything about innovative haha gently caress off with your buzzwords

We're just having a cool friendly chat about how some successor to this engine could offer a more structured narrative while keeping the fun parts of the open world design intact

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kawabata posted:

why the gently caress doesn't mario 3d world's endgame mystery house have at least one checkpoint or 2

there's like 40 stars in it what is this stupid poo poo

Yeah I love 3D world a lot but the last mystery house is kinda bullshit with how long it is having no checkpoints and each section is it's own "gotcha!" challenge. Took me a lot longer than Champion's Road tbh (though Champion's Road was a lot more fun).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
To be clear: the BotW world itself is your standard "ancient advanced civilization is now long gone" post-apocalyptic fantasy trope but Ganon's attack 100 years before BotW began was an averted apocalypse, but not prevented/repelled, so the world was still on the brink.

Do you think the Switch's hardware doesn't support full musical scores and that's why they went with the minimalist music? :psyboom:

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
As cool as it would be to have the Shrines integrated as part of the overworld, realistically I think that would have made them much more frustrating. Encapsulating it in a separate instance means that when you have a puzzle, all the elements are very controlled and there's no risk of a player thinking "Oh that rock outcropping over there looks like the pattern on the wall of this cave to me, maybe that's a hint." And in a design process where the puzzles and every section of the open world are being developed in parallel, it would be impossible to check that changes to the overworld wouldn't give a false hint for a solution. I just wish the the loading times going into and exiting a shrine were decreased.

Also, the few shrines that give you armor pieces feel really rewarding after getting nothing but consumables and spirit orbs from other shrines

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmy4WW8TqL8

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

BOTW owns. October 27th please come quickly so we can move on.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The worst part about the Shrines in BotW was Your Inventory Is Full

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Wait, an endgame quest didn't immediately halt your adventure and explain precisely which NPC's track this completion and give a reward at the end? Weird, it definitely sounds more fun to kill a big bad guy and immediately have a big text popup suck all the air out of the room just to spoon-feed this to you instead of relying on natural exploration or other NPC dialog to tip you off that this guy exists.

You hit 5% of those enemies. Like, you can whine about what's "missing" from the game but from your own description you didn't really engage with it all that much.

KingSlime posted:

We're just having a cool friendly chat about how some successor to this engine could offer a more structured narrative while keeping the fun parts of the open world design intact
Nah, this is definitely saying "BoTW would have been better with That Thing People Hate From GTA"

whaley posted:

Like, that's what you play open world games for? Getting to some fuckoff huge gate that has Exactly One Way to pass it and the path stopping cold right there until you go fetch it?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
For what it's worth gating off areas in Bully was super cool and good

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Ventana posted:

Yeah I love 3D world a lot but the last mystery house is kinda bullshit with how long it is having no checkpoints and each section is it's own "gotcha!" challenge. Took me a lot longer than Champion's Road tbh (though Champion's Road was a lot more fun).

I will never beat Champion’s Road. I am weak.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

whaley posted:

specific items being required to get certain places

No!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the truth posted:

it took me forever but the feeling afterwards was super super satisfy- wait, you mean i have to do every level with all four characters to get all the stamps? welp

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Do you think the Switch's hardware doesn't support full musical scores and that's why they went with the minimalist music? :psyboom:

They went minimalist everything as a consequence of hardware limitations. Texture, music, dungeons, voice acting, probably everything was brilliantly reduced to a great game big still reduced nonetheless. Hard to say if they didn’t have ambitions they couldn’t meet or not but my guess it absolutely

It perfectly explains why shrines are so samey or many elements of traditional rpgs absent.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 17, 2017

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

alf_pogs posted:

it took me forever but the feeling afterwards was super super satisfy- wait, you mean i have to do every level with all four characters to get all the stamps? welp

not just to get the stamps, to unlock an entire world too

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

the truth posted:

It's a lot easier if you try it with Rosalina. Relatively speaking at least.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

alf_pogs posted:

Nope. All five!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Or just twice if you have enough controllers and no shame. You can bring in co op buddies in the last part of the stage and as long as they all touch the flagpole it counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
New Mario Xcom DLC, it's 7bux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52FRvyC1uU

I'll probably do what I'm doing with BotW and wait until all the DLC is available before revisiting.

• Locked thread