Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Conned Trebek into saying Dick Tree. A National treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
At least he went out on a Dick Tree lol

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Glad Austin is gone. He made the show almost as awkward to watch as Wheel of Fortune.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
The judges gave him an assist, too, by crediting him back money from the seal/whale question that he would have blown on the subsequent Daily Double had he been judged correct the first time.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 13, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

drat you Scarlet.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Glad Austin is gone. He made the show almost as awkward to watch as Wheel of Fortune.

Not possible. No way to buy three vowels in a row.

Fake edit: does this qualify him for this recently taped ToC?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

gently caress off austin

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I believe it does, yes. Alex said a few days ago that he only wouldn't qualify if he kept winning until it aired.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm sure he's happy with the way he went out. Rebounded from a bad first round, lost by being narrowly outwagered in the final, and last but not least, Dick Tree.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

HookShot posted:

I believe it does, yes. Alex said a few days ago that he only wouldn't qualify if he kept winning until it aired.

Yeah, he's in. He said as much on Fallon last night (apparently Fallon kinda knows him because he frequented the bar he works at in Manhattan) that he'll be back in November. NPR just said the same.

Guess I now know why a bunch of Jeopardy friends who participated or were in the audience said that this ToC will be a really good one. Can't wait to watch it next month.

12 games and $411k in winnings, which makes him 4th or 5th (I forget which) most money won overall not counting tournament winnings. Wish the sites that compiled those stats kept updating so I could confirm which he is.

He had an amazing run, and what a way to go out. Got mildly outplayed, made it exciting at the end, and of course, dick tree.

One thing I noticed in the after Final Jeopardy shot is that they don't do the walkout from behind the contestant podiums to talk to Trebek now, he just chats with them there. Dunno when they started doing that, maybe this season? Guess it gave them time to reshow Austin's contestant intro skits at that point as well.

Also, the barriers that go up in between the contestant podiums during Final Jeopardy seem to be electronic now and can be lowered electronically, instead of the screw in panels that the crew comes on to bolt in during the commercial break before Final when we're figuring our wagers like they had during my appearance. Handy, I guess, something they added during the redesign of the contestant podiums.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 13, 2017

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Alex said as much like five seconds after announcing Scarlett as the winner, don't rush away to post so fast next time.

Austin's schtick was fun once or twice but seeing constant affectations and goofery for two weeks was a bit much, I'm glad he's done.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
God yes let's go back to boring rear end nerds who awkwardly tell lame stories again and again and are not memorable at all.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Croatoan posted:

God yes let's go back to boring rear end nerds who awkwardly tell lame stories again and again and are not memorable at all.

That is literally exactly what Austin was, on top of being a goofy fucker that was constantly setting off "Jesus Christ, shut the gently caress up you awkward bastard!" alarms.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
"Oh no, this guy had an actual personality, how awkward!" said the goon.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

HookShot posted:

"Oh no, this guy had an actual personality, how awkward!" said the goon.

Personality is one thing, whatever the gently caress Austin was* is another.

*What is a douche. Austin was a smug douche.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Croatoan posted:

I guess it depends on why you watch jeopardy

for example, I would enjoy Jeopardy just as much, possibly more, if it was just Alex Trebek reading trivia questions into the camera while a computerized buzzer goes off at a random time to determine how long I have to answer

that said, I found myself rooting for Austin by the end, especially against Sally Rhae or whatever the gently caress her name was

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
If all you want is the trivia go read the J Archive. Jeopardy is a television show. You people would have whined about Ken Jennings I swear.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Soothing Vapors posted:

I guess it depends on why you watch jeopardy

for example, I would enjoy Jeopardy just as much, possibly more, if it was just Alex Trebek reading trivia questions into the camera while a computerized buzzer goes off at a random time to determine how long I have to answer

that said, I found myself rooting for Austin by the end, especially against Sally Rhae or whatever the gently caress her name was

I was rooting for the chick a few days ago from Louisville to win, just because I'm from Louisville, but then her name was Rain so i wasn't sure what to do.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It is possible to be a recurring Jeopardy champ without having obnoxious personality traits. See: Julia Collins, Ken Jennings, Cindy Stowell, Roger Craig, and Watson?

We've just had some hateable standouts recently with Arthur Chu, Matt Jackson, Alex Jacob, and now Austin.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Alex and Austin ruled, or at least Austin ruled in the two episodes I saw after getting an HD antenna since my TV provider doesn't carry the channel that runs Jeopardy here any more due to a dispute.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Alex Jacob was great. He tried to get Julia Collins onto his bar trivia team a few years ago. Turns out she hates bar trivia. That makes her the worst.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

Alex Jacob was great. He tried to get Julia Collins onto his bar trivia team a few years ago. Turns out she hates bar trivia. That makes her the worst.

Maybe she just hates Alex Jacob :hehe:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

wa27 posted:

It is possible to be a recurring Jeopardy champ without having obnoxious personality traits. See: Julia Collins, Ken Jennings, Cindy Stowell, Roger Craig, and Watson?

We've just had some hateable standouts recently with Arthur Chu, Matt Jackson, Alex Jacob, and now Austin.

I like Ken Jeopardy, but you can't say he's completely without "obnoxious personality traits."

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ken seemed pretty inoffensive when he was actually on Jeopardy!, but sometimes he makes rude posts on Twitter now

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

wa27 posted:

The gently caress you say about Matt Jackson and my boy Alex?

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Ken seemed pretty inoffensive when he was actually on Jeopardy!, but sometimes he makes rude posts on Twitter now

If by rude you mean very accurate and good posts, then yeah.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Croatoan posted:

They seem tame when compared to the poo poo you'd see on You Bet Your Life.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

WarEternal posted:

If by rude you mean very accurate and good posts, then yeah.

Yeah but he's left leaning and respects women which just isn't Ein cooler Typ's style.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
more bad wagering in final on Friday

Scores going into Final:
Manny $16,000
Michelle $15,600
Scarlett $7,400

so obviously Manny should wager 15,201 at least to cover if Michelle doubles

but he only wagered $1199

he only won because he got lucky that he knew final and Michelle didn't. Michelle would have won if she'd gotten the clue right

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Ein cooler Typ posted:

more bad wagering in final on Friday

Scores going into Final:
Manny $16,000
Michelle $15,600
Scarlett $7,400

so obviously Manny should wager 15,201 at least to cover if Michelle doubles

but he only wagered $1199

he only won because he got lucky that he knew final and Michelle didn't. Michelle would have won if she'd gotten the clue right

That's the amount that guarantees beating Scarlett, but unless you have very specific knowledge of your foes (which you won't, categories being so vague) either more ($15201+ as you said) or less (0 to $399) is better...

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
You should always bet enough to cover second place doubling if you're in first place going into final

unless the category is something really hard like opera or ballet

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I've never wished Austin was still around more than for the clue that was "what's something you do in the shower with one hand"

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Wow, everyone flubbed what was a pretty easy final. I mean, Tibet? The landlocked place that is famously not an independent country?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Holy poo poo, I've never seen that.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Did that guy just win with a dollar? :lol:

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Manny!’s reaction was hilarious when he found out he won. You would think any of them would realize the clue indicated the country bordering two separate bodies of water but nope.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that was the best ending I have ever seen

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
so if two people tie and lose do they each get the third place prize or what

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

so if two people tie and lose do they each get the third place prize or what

They both get Aleve

As in, Aleve of absence from Jeopardy for being terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Both challengers made the right bet. I thought Manny made a dumb one. Why bet anything? You know they rationally need to bet either 0 or everything, so your only path to victory is both of them flubbing in hilarious fashion. Glad it worked out, I like Manny.

Mantis42 posted:

Wow, everyone flubbed what was a pretty easy final. I mean, Tibet? The landlocked place that is famously not an independent country?

Tibet was an exceptionally shameful guess.