Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Zelder posted:

there are a million amazing comedies without a laugh track and I'm sorry that your brain assumed I was defending laugh tracks

I don't know what happened to you that scrubs is the height of comedy, I just pray it never happens to anyone else

It has an short opening therefore its the kind of efficient entertainment that goons crave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I have like 5 games on the Switch haven't finished a single one of them, there's DLCs out the butt and I'm buying Odyssey. Nintendo stop!

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I think I'm ready for my 14 hour (each way) flight. Zelda, Stardew, and Picross are fresh, and Golf Story, Rabbids, and Blaster Master still have some life in them.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
i take it you got yourself a nice, beefy power pack?

*laugh track plays weakly in background*

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Nolgthorn posted:

I have like 5 games on the Switch haven't finished a single one of them, there's DLCs out the butt and I'm buying Odyssey. Nintendo stop!

Uh, ill have what he's having!

*crowd just loving loses it in the background*

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Pardon me while I Switch into something more comfortable for the release in like a week. No showering for me. *slide whistle*

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the soundtrack for 'the mummy demastered' game is out on itunes and spotify. it's by chiptune / retro electronica person MONOMER, there's some pretty good stuff on it, for those of you interested in such things.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

JawnV6 posted:

Like, that's what you play open world games for? Getting to some fuckoff huge gate that has Exactly One Way to pass it and the path stopping cold right there until you go fetch it?

Maybe that is why I play them, but I dunno of any with that feature and most open world games are disjointed garbage so I don't play them very often

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Nolgthorn posted:

i save money by only buying games when im going to play them

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
you've gone too far this time HyperPuma

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I bought Witcher 3 and I want to start it but there's no goddamn way I can play through it before Mario comes out. Trying to rush through Witcher seems like it'd gently caress up the experience of an extremely good game.

Zelder posted:

A couple pages back but Christ

The first time I watched Arrow I was confused at the lack of an overly long intro. It was basically "I'm Oliver Queen, I was shipwrecked and it sucked."

Now it's just "I'm Oliver Queen, I and my show suck." :sigh:

XyrlocShammypants posted:

They went minimalist everything as a consequence of hardware limitations. Texture, music, dungeons, voice acting, probably everything was brilliantly reduced to a great game big still reduced nonetheless. Hard to say if they didn’t have ambitions they couldn’t meet or not but my guess it absolutely

It perfectly explains why shrines are so samey or many elements of traditional rpgs absent.

Please cite some sources on this because it sounds like bullshit that you're just guessing at.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Nolgthorn posted:

Pardon me while I Switch into something more comfortable for the release in like a week. No showering for me. *slide whistle*

Did I doooooo thaaaaaat?! *staccato trombone*

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I bought Witcher 3 and I want to start it but there's no goddamn way I can play through it before Mario comes out. Trying to rush through Witcher seems like it'd gently caress up the experience of an extremely good game.

Ehh I don't know if this helps but I've been working through Witcher 3 for over 12 months now, in spurts of 15-20 hours randonmly strewn thoroughout a week.

It's probably not the most optimal way to play it but I'm still having a blast, kinda like reading a long-rear end fantasy novel over months. The combat is nothing to write home about so while it's engagng enough, I don't care that I pop in and out of the gameplay for months at a time.

Playing through it straight might make me resent it a little actually, now that I think about it. As of right now I still love it and plan to get the DLC's once I get to that part of the story.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Please cite some sources on this because it sounds like bullshit that you're just guessing at.

yeaaaah this seems to be the vast majority of gaming commentary outside of raw data/objective statements and personal impressions, even from a large chunk of gaming journalists

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Music files don't take up enough space that you'd have to go for minimalist soundtrack in a modern game. That's just loving ridiculous, and it also makes no sense given that BotW does have full orchestral pieces anyways. It just has minimalist tracks in addition to that for, you know, atmosphere.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mister Facetious posted:

Thank goodness. The trailers alone were making DQ Heroes' dubbing efforts look positively Shakespearean.

The thought of a Warriors game with good dub voice acting is foreign to me. Please explain.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The reasons for the minimalistic music in Breath of the Wild were certainly artistic and not a result of technical inability. Music in video games has not been meaningfully technically constrained for years.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Another Blade from Xenoblade Chronicles 2

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Harlequin is popular! Give me that but a little girl and a ridiculous dress and also make her hammer gently caress-off huge!

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Another Blade from Xenoblade Chronicles 2

gently caress yeah I am ready.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Completed Golf Story last night! A good lil game, maybe a little samey (there's only so much you can do with golf) but was really fun and had a lot of charm. Not exactly difficult but enjoyed my time with it. Probably took around 16 hours or so.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BOTW's soundtrack was originally going to be nonstop 80 decibel marching band music but it had to be cut due to the Switch is bad.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Just this, over and over again. :haw:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQkjh26asaY

Takoluka posted:

The thought of a Warriors game with good dub voice acting is foreign to me. Please explain.

You'd think that the same dozen or so VAs used in the industry over the last twenty years would get better at it, but... well here we are. :sigh:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mister Facetious posted:

You'd think that the same dozen or so VAs used in the industry over the last twenty years would get better at it, but... well here we are. :sigh:

I don't want them to be good in these games. See: any DW game.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Harlequin is popular! Give me that but a little girl and a ridiculous dress and also make her hammer gently caress-off huge!

The "girl with a huge hammer" trope has existed in Japanese anime and manga since at least the eighties, and probably predates even the Atari.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mister Facetious posted:

I have bad news for you, it has gotten better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-MDuXXiSI

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I have bad news for you, it has gotten better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XF-MDuXXiSI

DW3e was the first, and last DW game I've ever purchased, though DQ Heroes 2 looks tempting.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
BotW's music is fine. Maybe a little too ambient, but that's a matter of taste.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

BotW's music is fine. Maybe a little too ambient, but that's a matter of taste.

It kicks up when it needs to. I really like the boss themes. Hyrule Castle too.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 18, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Pulled the trigger on Mario x Rabbids and turns out that it is actually a lot of fun. Calling it "XCOM-lite" wouldn't be completely inaccurate but the systems that are there are polished and the presentation is generally pretty great.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXx0c1XbR4A

Come join me in the hype tub for some Tiny Metal hype.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BotW's music is really good. Hateno village is my favorite town theme in the entire zelda series and same with Vah Ruta for dungeon theme. people who dont like it because they wanted to listen to the zelda theme blaring in the overworld for 100 hours are insane.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

BotW's music is really good. Hateno village is my favorite town theme in the entire zelda series and same with Vah Ruta for dungeon theme. people who dont like it because they wanted to listen to the zelda theme blaring in the overworld for 100 hours are insane.

I love the limited score parts of Death Mountain get. I also enjoyed the themes embedded in the riding music.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

You spelled Rito Village wrong

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I think the music in botw is fine but I really didn't like the battle music

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I love the limited score parts of Death Mountain get.

I love how it’s a remix of the Death Mountain dungeon theme from the first Zelda.:3:

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Andrast posted:

I think the music in botw is fine but I really didn't like the battle music

Same, the weird disjointed whistling was incredibly jarring at first

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I like all the BotW soundtrack except the battle music also. The minimalist style works and is v peaceful. Could've gone for a couple of big brassy tracks though

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

KingSlime posted:

i take it you got yourself a nice, beefy power pack?

*laugh track plays weakly in background*

The cool thing about long rear end flights nowadays is that everyone has an outlet near their seat and the chair in front of you is also a tablet holder so you can detach the joycons and play super leisurely. The Switch makes airplane rides pretty rad now

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bef posted:

The cool thing about long rear end flights nowadays is that everyone has an outlet near their seat and the chair in front of you is also a tablet holder so you can detach the joycons and play super leisurely. The Switch makes airplane rides pretty rad now

Not having Bluetooth headphone support is really dumb though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
mario rabbids is really great but the ultimate challenges are the exact point that the game stops being fun. glad i risked it and sold it back to amazon a couple weeks ago instead of waiting on the dlc. 35 bucks towards odyssey seems much better than another handful of 30 min slogs with unfair enemies

• Locked thread