Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

Sounds like they finally realised that CG makes for good movies, but is horrible for TV shows, because new assets are so expensive to make. It's easy to see Sonic Boom and TMNT struggling against the bounds of their budgets.

Honestly, Sonic Boom looks totally fine, but it also looks like it has a stupidly high budget and I remember hearing Sony Pictures Animation does the legwork on it nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Honestly, Sonic Boom looks totally fine, but it also looks like it has a stupidly high budget and I remember hearing Sony Pictures Animation does the legwork on it nowadays.

The main characters look great, but there's a lot of moments watching Boom where you can see the budget. Like, for example, any fight scene. Which is fine because Boom is focused more on comedy than action, but it's still noticeable.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well now I need to finally get around to watching that movie.

You don't

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Hey, it's not that bad. I certainly liked it more than Wreck-it Ralph.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

VolticSurge posted:

Hey, it's not that bad. I certainly liked it more than Wreck-it Ralph.

What the loving gently caress?

Firstly Wreck-It Ralph is loving incredible. And just to be clear, BH6 is not a bad movie, but it's the definition of a movie you don't need to watch under any circumstances. It is an incredibly mediocre film with some incredibly stellar art direction and that's literally all it has going for it. The characters, plot, dialog....all of it is extremely forgettable. Like if you were to look up the definition of the word "movie" BH6 would be it, it's not bad but it's just so completely unexceptional beyond its really amazing world and art direction.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

big hero 6 spoilers
bad guy: I killed your dad!

group: OH NO

son of dead guy: no!!! i'm going to punch you!

group: NO DONT DO THAT, WE'RE MORE MAD AT YOU NOW

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Quest For Glory II posted:

big hero 6 spoilers
bad guy: I killed your dad!

group: OH NO

son of dead guy: no!!! i'm going to punch you!

group: NO DONT DO THAT, WE'RE MORE MAD AT YOU NOW

Yeah, it's literally stuff like that in which it makes the entire movie feel like it was built from a kit. Like if there was some mythical place that sold "Do-It-Yourself Animated Action Movies", that would be the result. It's the most generic thing in the world.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Firstly Wreck-It Ralph is loving incredible.
It was... until it suddenly switched protagonists. Sarah Silverman was so loving insufferable.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well they needed to switch protagonists because they forgot to write a real resolution to Ralph's main issue of never getting any respect from his peers because of his job.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well they needed to switch protagonists because they forgot to write a real resolution to Ralph's main issue of never getting any respect from his peers because of his job.

I understand that. I just wish they made the actual protagonist someone who wasn't so loving grating.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Uhhhh what the gently caress

https://twitter.com/cartoonbrew/status/920437246754545664

I knew there'd be some outings of shitheads in animation after the Weinstein saga but this one I didn't expect

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sure explains a lot about its fanbase.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SlothfulCobra posted:

The resolution is that the Nicelanders learn to respect and appreciate Ralph both as an individual and for the inglamorous but necessary work he does while Ralph finds fulfillment in his work knowing that he is useful and important and that he has actual friends to come home to every night.

It's like the first line of the movie: He's a Bad Guy, but that doesn't mean he's a bad guy.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The problem was that the people of the building didn't really get any comeuppance or acknowledge that they did Ralph wrong, Felix just wound up talking them into not being complete dicks to their coworker for mostly unrelated reasons.

The themes of the movie tie in more to Q-Bert's story arc than Ralph's.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I never watched Wreck-it Ralph are joking around or serious when you say Q-Bert's story arc.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I knew there'd be some outings of shitheads in animation after the Weinstein saga but this one I didn't expect

For some reason I'm not surprised. Still, must suck considering his show was really taking off. Doesn't excuse that kind of behavior though.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

The problem was that the people of the building didn't really get any comeuppance or acknowledge that they did Ralph wrong, Felix just wound up talking them into not being complete dicks to their coworker for mostly unrelated reasons.

The themes of the movie tie in more to Q-Bert's story arc than Ralph's.

It's worse than that, I think. There was a part of the movie where Ralph goes back to his world to find everyone else is gone except the rear end in a top hat Nicelander. They have a talk which boils down to, "Hey, jerk, maybe if you didn't selfishly try to improve your lot on life then maybe us good guys wouldn't be suffering like this!" "My gosh, he's RIGHT! I shouldn't have done what I did!"

It's why the ending of Wreck-It Ralph feels weird to me, since it can be read as "Ralph learns his place and stops trying to find a better life out there in the world."

Yeah, it's literally stuff like that in which it makes the entire movie feel like it was built from a kit. Like if there was some mythical place that sold "Do-It-Yourself Animated Action Movies", that would be the result. It's the most generic thing in the world.

I feel like BH6 might have been better if Disney took the risk and renamed it Baymax, removed all the superhero stuff, and made it a movie about a kid learning to deal with the loss of a loved one with the help of Baymax and friends.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/artist-r...ive-154068.html

quote:

UPDATE: An artist who requested anonymity has shared a story with Cartoon Brew about an earlier incident that involved Savino at Nickelodeon:

This took place about 4 years ago. Chris [Savino] was working with the development program at Nickelodeon. A woman close to me had a project that was being developed under his supervision. He got her personal contact information under the guise of “helping her develop the project off hours.” He presented himself as a mentor. He then proceeded to send her unwanted text messages that were lewd and sexual in nature on more than one occasion. When she turned down his advances, her development project was let go. He is a classic case of a predatory male using his status and power over a female subordinate. As with most victims, she was worried of how speaking out against him would affect her career and no action was ever taken.

fuuuuuuuuck :cripes:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Go gently caress the gently caress off, Chris. another reason to keep bringing in new blood and not let cronies hang around

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I somehow have the feeling this poo poo with Savino is just hot air and fake news.

Kaliedoscope
Dec 8, 2013

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I somehow have the feeling this poo poo with Savino is just hot air and fake news.

Whatever gives you that impression?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

The gently caress does fake news mean in this context? That people afraid of being blackballed would just randomly lie about an entrenched animation producer at the risk of their career and well-being? The story of Nick Robinson, and the recent Buzzfeed GGate expose taught us not to just assume someone who acts like an ally actually is one. CB is reporting on Viacom's act of suspending Chris Savino. Do you think the suspension's fake? Wouldn't that be ridiculously easy to prove if it was?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Cartoon Brew isn't the most journalistic integrity-y of sites but this seems legit

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Firstly Wreck-It Ralph is loving incredible. And just to be clear, BH6 is not a bad movie, but it's the definition of a movie you don't need to watch under any circumstances. It is an incredibly mediocre film with some incredibly stellar art direction and that's literally all it has going for it. The characters, plot, dialog....all of it is extremely forgettable. Like if you were to look up the definition of the word "movie" BH6 would be it, it's not bad but it's just so completely unexceptional beyond its really amazing world and art direction.

I didn't feel it was "generic" at all, it was a fun movie with cute characters that doesn't deserve all these paragraphs of vitriol. That said, having last seen it when it came out, I could barely tell you anything about the plot, and I admittedly forgot it existed until now.

Guy Mann posted:

The resolution is that the Nicelanders learn to respect and appreciate Ralph both as an individual and for the inglamorous but necessary work he does while Ralph finds fulfillment in his work knowing that he is useful and important and that he has actual friends to come home to every night.

It's like the first line of the movie: He's a Bad Guy, but that doesn't mean he's a bad guy.

No, the resolution is that Ralph learns that it's better to know his place and to eat poo poo, because if he wants anything better for himself it will make things uncomfortable for the people that look down on him. And that's a bad thing.

Remember, kids: don't rock the boat.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Oct 18, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Cool post, the gamer gater twenty three.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

TwoPair posted:

The main characters look great, but there's a lot of moments watching Boom where you can see the budget. Like, for example, any fight scene. Which is fine because Boom is focused more on comedy than action, but it's still noticeable.

I was thinking more the settings and additional characters; you know they're scraping when the deliberately blandly designed background characters (At least, I hope that was on purpose) start having episodes of their own and appearing in random roles, and they have enough trouble establishing a sense of place given they re-use the same settings so much. (Last I checked, anyway) TMNT similarly struggles in early episodes where New York is a ghost town.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Anne Walker Farrell, a director on Bojack Horseman posted a twitter thread a few months ago talking about harassment in the animation industry, and then confirmed today that one of the people she was talking about was Savino.

https://twitter.com/lemurmcfemur/status/900200317035454465

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Inescapable Duck posted:

I was thinking more the settings and additional characters; you know they're scraping when the deliberately blandly designed background characters (At least, I hope that was on purpose) start having episodes of their own and appearing in random roles, and they have enough trouble establishing a sense of place given they re-use the same settings so much. (Last I checked, anyway) TMNT similarly struggles in early episodes where New York is a ghost town.

I'm reminded of a screenshot where Knuckles was shown walking down the street arm in arm with two completely identical girls, the model of which happened to have gotten a starring role in an episode previously and was designed as an important NPC in the game.

They apparently handwaved it as her having an identical twin sister, but. Yeah. Boom is super cheap.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Just like with Skylar Page, Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, Donald Trump, etc etc etc amirite? Those wily :females: just trying to keep a man's career down.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

raditts posted:

No, the resolution is that Ralph learns that it's better to know his place and to eat poo poo, because if he wants anything better for himself it will make things uncomfortable for the people that look down on him. And that's a bad thing.

Remember, kids: don't rock the boat.

At the end, they put his figurine on the cake, and it has a medal, which seems to imply that they've learned to accept him. They certainly could have given that plot point a bit more attention, though.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Is this like when people claimed the boxtrolls movie was anti-adoption even though the boy's human dad is depicted as being in a fugue state for much of his time in the film, and the girl's biological dad was depicted as hugely ignorant and oblivious to his daughter, and huge pains are made to point out that boxtroll dad is a really good dad and the biological fathers of the main characters are not in their lives, and the entire film is about the boy doing everything in his power to rescue his adoptive family, and he and the boxtrolls all live happily together in the end, and the whole point of the film is that family can be defined however you like

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Kaliedoscope posted:

Whatever gives you that impression?
Well for one thing, the original story cropped up form a Literally Who? news source that's shown to be unreliable in the past, and there's been no confirmation thus far that Savino's actually been suspended. And so far no evidence has actually come forward. Even the Weinstein case had that. I suppose it's too early to tell, though, and we'll have to wait a few days.

EDIT: And I'm not saying it's totally 100% fake and there's no other way to look at it, but I just feel suspicious. I don't want it to be true but I'll accept it if it's proven to be so, and until things progress, I won't assume it's all fact. People are already calling him a monster without sufficient proof of anything having gone down.

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 18, 2017

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Cartoon Brew isn't the most journalistic integrity-y of sites but this seems legit

Amid Amidi may be a blowhard, but when CB breaks this kind of stuff, they tend to be right, because it's an industry insider site (c.f. Skyler Page and other news they've had first).

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

kefkafloyd posted:

Amid Amidi may be a blowhard, but when CB breaks this kind of stuff, they tend to be right, because it's an industry insider site (c.f. Skyler Page and other news they've had first).

Incidentally Emily Partridge (victim of the SP incident) called the Skyler Page article "gross and sensationalist"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Calling things "literally who" really doesn't boost your credibility as a skeptic on this topic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Well for one thing, the original story cropped up form a Literally Who? news source that's shown to be unreliable in the past, and there's been no confirmation thus far that Savino's actually been suspended. And so far no evidence has actually come forward. Even the Weinstein case had that. I suppose it's too early to tell, though, and we'll have to wait a few days.

EDIT: And I'm not saying it's totally 100% fake and there's no other way to look at it, but I just feel suspicious. I don't want it to be true but I'll accept it if it's proven to be so, and until things progress, I won't assume it's all fact. People are already calling him a monster without sufficient proof of anything having gone down.
Hi, everyone. Literally Who is a GamerGate moniker initially used to describe Zoe Quinn but also used to refer to general victims of harassment. i thought I'd share this STRANGE COINCIDENCE.

By the way, you know how you can disprove Savino's suspension? By going "he's right here next to me" if you work at the studio. It would be extravagantly dumb (but not out of the realm of CB) to make a claim that can be disproven that easily unless Amid was 2000% confident in his sources. That's why celebrity death hoaxes get snuffed out within 15 minutes of reporting nowadays.

on gamergate, many of the initial Gamergate sock puppets, before the Gamergate movement had its name, went after Emily Partridge during the Clarence saga. same tactics, same harassment, same garbage. Of course they'd show up, AGAIN.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 18, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Hi, everyone. Literally Who is a GamerGate moniker initially used to describe Zoe Quinn but also used to refer to general victims of harassment. i thought I'd share this STRANGE COINCIDENCE.

Literally Who? long predates gamergate, but since it's common vernacular on 4chan and since gamergate originated there it's not surprising that gamergaters would use it (even though this is the first time I've seen someone assume it's purely a gamergate thing.)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Gamergate's literally the first auto suggested word when you type literally who into google. Nobody who uses that phrase is using it to make good faith arguments, even if they were just an idiot 4chan kid. In this case, the poster's usage of Literally Who is referring to either the anonymous story in the article or the Bojack Horseman director who mentioned Savino on Twitter. It's exactly the usage that is meant to dehumanize the victims.

I wish I saved the screencaps of the kinds of things said at Emily Partridge after she shared her story about Skylar Page. She got vile, vile treatment from the internet before Cartoon Brew even picked up the story.

I want this sort of thing to blow open the doors. Rip the bandaid off. Examine the problems of our industry's culture, if we ever want to make real tangible progress. Give other women (and men/NB too) the courage to share their tales without fear of blackballing (a legitimate threat in animation). Emily for example wasn't even a staffer on Clarence (she worked on Adventure Time), if Skyler was her superior, the power dynamic at play would have turned things into a nightmare. You'd basically be ending your career to point the finger. I want that guillotine to be dismantled and taken away.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 18, 2017

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Gamergate's literally the first auto suggested word when you type literally who into google. Nobody who uses that phrase is using it to make good faith arguments, even if they were just an idiot 4chan kid. In this case, the poster's usage of Literally Who is referring to either the anonymous story in the article or the Bojack Horseman director who mentioned Savino on Twitter. It's exactly the usage that is meant to dehumanize the victims.

Yeah I get that's what's happening here. It's just the first time I've heard it in a GG context before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Literally Who is a GamerGate moniker initially used to describe Zoe Quinn but also used to refer to general victims of harassment. i thought I'd share this STRANGE COINCIDENCE.

It's just the dumb internet redux of calling someone a nobody or small time, it's been around a lot longer than them.

In this case, the poster's usage of Literally Who is referring to either the anonymous story in the article or the Bojack Horseman director who mentioned Savino on Twitter. It's exactly the usage that is meant to dehumanize the victims.

Also what, it looked like they were just using it in reference to Cartoon Brew, I don't even agree with the dumb things they're saying but this seems like a weird reading, even when I otherwise agree with your sentiment that it should obviously be made much easier to come forward about people in power being abusive.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 18, 2017