Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

This sure is an Awful app!!! for iOS!!!

Awful on the App Store (Free, iOS 9+)

Awful is Better Than Safari™ for browsing the forums. Go get it.

pokeyman heads up Awful and is probably responsible for the bug you came here to complain about (sorry!).

:backtowork: Help out! :backtowork:

If you'd like to beta test new versions of Awful, visit this link: https://testflight.apple.com/join/530cS7a7

We have a project.log thread for discussing ongoing development and beta-testing. If you're using a beta version of Awful, please head over there to report bugs. This thread here is for the App Store version.

Design? I sure don't! Help our trusty designers make the app great.

Write code? Hit up Awful's GitHub repository and do it. Here's the big list of bugs and features if you'd like some guidance. Get a pull request accepted (not a high bar) and the commit bit is yours.

So far we've had contributions from
awesomeolion, best bale, carry on then, Diabolik900, Drastic Actions, enigma105, Froist, hardstyle, JamesOff, Jose Valasquez, Kailtor Malcolm XML, megane, OHIO, pokeyman, Regular Nintendo, spanky the dolphin, Subjunctive, tanky, The Dave, ultramiraculous, and xzzy.

:boom: Wasn't there some other version? :boom:

Once upon a time, some dissatisfied customers took it upon themselves to take Awful and release the fixed app as a new version of mostly the same code. It was called Awful S II MAXX. It's broken as of New Forums Design 2013 and won't be fixed.

If your Awful app has a frog in its icon, you're using MAXX. Switch to Awful for less (?) breakage.

:justpost: Other platforms :justpost:

Some talented folk are hard at work making apps for other platforms:
Android
Android again
Windows 10

carry on then fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The last time I mentioned this I should have kept my mouth shut. I said that the links at the bottom of the page should say first page/last page since it went to the top of the last page, not to the last post.

Then it got changed to actually go to the last post, which to me kinda sucks because then I go Last Post >end of last page>immediately scroll back to top of last page.

Maybe other people want to catch up by only reading the very last post of a thread but I pretty much always want a little context so starting at the top of the last page of the thread was way better.

E- and for a real error, when I posted this minor complaint I got the image upload failed/code 100 error that comes from screenshots most of the time, but there wasn't any way to clear the error message so I had to force quit.

Minor quibbles aside, thanks for everything I love the app.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Best app

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:firstpost:

But seriously, you guys make reading SA cool and good, because otherwise I’d move on to reddit if I had to read SA any other way on my phone.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Snowy posted:

The last time I mentioned this I should have kept my mouth shut. I said that the links at the bottom of the page should say first page/last page since it went to the top of the last page, not to the last post.

Then it got changed to actually go to the last post, which to me kinda sucks because then I go Last Post >end of last page>immediately scroll back to top of last page.

Maybe other people want to catch up by only reading the very last post of a thread but I pretty much always want a little context so starting at the top of the last page of the thread was way better.

If we do change it back to First / Last page - which I agree is probably more useful - maybe we should swap out those words for the |<< (Refresh arrows) >>| icons for consistency?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Snowy posted:

We used to have a setting for "show previous N posts in thread", which I removed ages ago but there's a persistent undercurrent of "can we have that back?". If that setting existed, would that help?

quote:

E- and for a real error, when I posted this minor complaint I got the image upload failed/code 100 error that comes from screenshots most of the time, but there wasn't any way to clear the error message so I had to force quit.

This should've been fixed in 3.28, but I'll take another look and make sure we caught all the alerts.

spanky the dolphin posted:

If we do change it back to First / Last page - which I agree is probably more useful - maybe we should swap out those words for the |<< (Refresh arrows) >>| icons for consistency?

I guess the first/last icons have e.g. "First" as a caption underneath, so it's still kinda consistent. If we have the room for a full text button I usually prefer the text.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is changing the app icon a new thing? It is great! :v:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

This should've been fixed in 3.28, but I'll take another look and make sure we caught all the alerts.

It's weird, some Alerts don't have any buttons without having one added manually, others have an OK button. I couldn't tell the difference. Possible iOS bug?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

withak posted:

Is changing the app icon a new thing? It is great! :v:

It is and it is!

carry on then posted:

It's weird, some Alerts don't have any buttons without having one added manually, others have an OK button. I couldn't tell the difference. Possible iOS bug?

I grepped the code for UIAlertController and checked that all of them have at least one action added, so we’ll see.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
The :frogout: app icon made me smile. Thank you.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh yeah am I really dumb or is there no way to view sent PMs?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

Oh yeah am I really dumb or is there no way to view sent PMs?

There is indeed no way in the app to view sent PMs, but I’ll +1 the request!

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
This is a pretty minor thing, but is there any chance you can tweak the bookmark colors? Using the white theme, it’s pretty difficult to read the unread post count for anything bookmarked yellow.

I feel like ages ago the unread count was in a circle or something that made it easier to read, but I might be misremembering.

Also is adding a space before anything pasted an iOS thing? It breaks img rags if the first character is a space, but if that’s just iOS’s behavior I imagine there’s nothing you can do about that.

Thanks for the exciting app icon options! and the app itself, of course

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On the color front, imo the color diff between a read post and unread one on the alternate theme in dark mode is way too small

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Regular Nintendo posted:

On the color front, imo the color diff between a read post and unread one on the alternate theme in dark mode is way too small

Maybe the value #00142b would be good for unread. It's a similar brightness but the same level of saturation and same hue as the top two bars.

Before / After

Also, one more colour thing that should be changed is the background black should be changed to proper #000000 black for the OLED iPhone X, it's currently #060606.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

From the old thread:

Binary Badger posted:

Is it just me, or do I have to do a wipe and reinstall if I want to see ignored posts? I ignore some folks, but sometimes I want to see what they're shitposting.

The behavior right now is that if I choose to look at the hidden message link it gives me a random message from somewhere else in that thread.

I'm on iOS 11.0.2, but it's been like this since iOS 10 for me..

I'm having trouble reproducing this. Can you link to a particular post that's giving you trouble? (PM me if you'd prefer.)

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Zenostein posted:

This is a pretty minor thing, but is there any chance you can tweak the bookmark colors? Using the white theme, it’s pretty difficult to read the unread post count for anything bookmarked yellow.

I reckon all the yellows in app should be the same as the stars on the forum list - #ffcd00 - which are slightly darker than the current yellow used for the bookmark numbers. If we could change the stickied thread corner triangles to this value too that'd be good for consistency.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm torn between :v: and the frog. The frog would be the clear winner except it reminds me of the neo-nazi frog.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

withak posted:

I'm torn between :v: and the frog. The frog would be the clear winner except it reminds me of the neo-nazi frog.

Pepe the Frog is a cartoon character that has become a popular Internet meme (often referred to as the “sad frog meme” by people unfamiliar with the name of the character). The character first appeared in 2005 in the on-line cartoon Boy’s Club. In that appearance, the character also first used its catchphrase, “feels good, man.” The Pepe the Frog character did not originally have racist or anti-Semitic connotations. Internet users appropriated the character and turned him into a meme, placing the frog in a variety of circumstances and saying many different things. Many variations of the meme became rather esoteric, resulting in the phenomenon of so-called “rare Pepes.”

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

withak posted:

Look in your heart. You know stare dog is the answer.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

101 posted:

Pepe the Frog is a cartoon character that has become a popular Internet meme (often referred to as the “sad frog meme” by people unfamiliar with the name of the character). The character first appeared in 2005 in the on-line cartoon Boy’s Club. In that appearance, the character also first used its catchphrase, “feels good, man.” The Pepe the Frog character did not originally have racist or anti-Semitic connotations. Internet users appropriated the character and turned him into a meme, placing the frog in a variety of circumstances and saying many different things. Many variations of the meme became rather esoteric, resulting in the phenomenon of so-called “rare Pepes.”

"The swastika (as a character 卐 or 卍) is an ancient religious icon used in the Indian subcontinent, East Asia and Southeast Asia, where it has been and remains a sacred symbol of spiritual principles in Buddhism, Hinduism, and Jainism." :shrug:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Horizontal swastika good, diagonal bad

They really do have the (horizontal) ones all over temples in asia, i visited some

:smith: <- does this work for other people? I see the word, not the smilie. A lot of smilie tags dont work in the app, but its hit or miss. Is it the capitol letter at the start messing it up?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

got any sevens posted:

:smith: <- does this work for other people? I see the word, not the smilie. A lot of smilie tags dont work in the app, but its hit or miss. Is it the capitol letter at the start messing it up?

Smilies are case sensitive :smith:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Possibly reported earlier but the "parent forum" button doesn't seem to be working for me. Tested both from bookmark links and from just browsing into a forum.

Awful 3.28, iOS 10.3.3 (not updating until the inevitable battery life patch).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Thanks for all of the excellent work on this app!

I have a small bug that's easily overcome by force quitting the app. Occasionally, and I cannot pinpoint WHEN it happens, I cannot open a handful of bookmarks. It's as if there isn't an area to tap on to select it. I can scroll the list of bookmarks, and random other threads will work, but some just won't. It's inconsistent, different location of bookmark (1st/3rd/etc.) as well as different threads.

Not sure if you were aware of it, so figured to file it away. Not a big one to move to the top of the list though.

iPhone 8, newest iOS.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

ulmont posted:

Possibly reported earlier but the "parent forum" button doesn't seem to be working for me. Tested both from bookmark links and from just browsing into a forum.

Also doesn’t work in IOS 11

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Rinkles posted:

The :frogout: app icon made me smile. Thank you.

:staredog: makes me lol every time I see it

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

101 posted:

Neo-nazis have adopted a fictional character that doesn't understand the idea of a zipper as their mascot. Feels like 2017 man.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Y’all are doing gods work. Thanks.

What’s this about an app icon? I have never seen it change and can’t find a setting.

In real news, I get a lot of images disappearing when I scroll on a 10.5 iPad Pro with the latest public iOS release (11.03?)
Sometimes they come back. Sometimes not.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

What’s this about an app icon? I have never seen it change and can’t find a setting.

Make sure you’re updated to the newest version of the app (3.28 I think) and scroll to the bottom of the settings screen.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Please add an option to turn off announcements. Nobody cares about Lowtax's bullshit

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So first off thanks for putting all the work into this app, overall I really like it (better than the browser UX imho)

One small issue though: when I get PMs the little red “1” fails to clear after I read them.

Quitting the app nor restarting the phone seem to help. Eventually seemingly randomly it goes away after a while.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

Make sure you’re updated to the newest version of the app (3.28 I think) and scroll to the bottom of the settings screen.

Ooooh that settings screen.

Anyone have issues with the Awful browser sometimes not wanting to load a link? Sometimes I have to long press and open in chrome or safari when awful wont load it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Zigmidge posted:

Please add an option to turn off announcements. Nobody cares about Lowtax's bullshit

yeah, or at least let us remove the notification counter for that poo poo

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Is there a way to view polls? If I want to vote in one, do I have to actually use a computer?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
The alternative mode is totally sick.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Scientastic posted:

Is there a way to view polls? If I want to vote in one, do I have to actually use a computer?

For now, yes. It's on the list to be added though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Zenostein posted:

I feel like ages ago the unread count was in a circle or something that made it easier to read, but I might be misremembering.

I'm all for mucking with colours. Usually pretty bad at choosing them though, so I'm game to try whatever people come up with.

quote:

Also is adding a space before anything pasted an iOS thing? It breaks img rags if the first character is a space, but if that’s just iOS’s behavior I imagine there’s nothing you can do about that.

It is an iOS thing. I'd love to poke around and see if there's something useful I can do about it.

Maybe the value #00142b would be good for unread. It's a similar brightness but the same level of saturation and same hue as the top two bars.

Before / After

Also, one more colour thing that should be changed is the background black should be changed to proper #000000 black for the OLED iPhone X, it's currently #060606.

I reckon all the yellows in app should be the same as the stars on the forum list - #ffcd00 - which are slightly darker than the current yellow used for the bookmark numbers. If we could change the stickied thread corner triangles to this value too that'd be good for consistency.

I am on board with these.

ulmont posted:

Should be fixed in the next update.

TraderStav posted:

Thanks for all of the excellent work on this app!

I have a small bug that's easily overcome by force quitting the app. Occasionally, and I cannot pinpoint WHEN it happens, I cannot open a handful of bookmarks. It's as if there isn't an area to tap on to select it. I can scroll the list of bookmarks, and random other threads will work, but some just won't. It's inconsistent, different location of bookmark (1st/3rd/etc.) as well as different threads.

Not sure if you were aware of it, so figured to file it away. Not a big one to move to the top of the list though.

iPhone 8, newest iOS.

I think this is one of several manifestations of the same underlying bug. I'll have to take a look at it sooner rather than later, it's getting annoying :)

maskenfreiheit posted:

One small issue though: when I get PMs the little red “1” fails to clear after I read them.

Quitting the app nor restarting the phone seem to help. Eventually seemingly randomly it goes away after a while.

Finally time to fix this I think.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Anyone have issues with the Awful browser sometimes not wanting to load a link? Sometimes I have to long press and open in chrome or safari when awful wont load it.

I do! I do! It's on my list, I'll +1 it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
When I swipe from a thread back into my bookmarks, is it supposed to bring the bookmarks in at a slight diagonal? I'm pretty sure it used to be flat horizontal. iPhone 6s, iOS 11.1 public beta 3, Awful 3.28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
Haha the little ghost icon cute :kimchi: