Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

That's (De vette cuecken) the only Lugubrum album I've listened to but it's pretty great. Caligula's Horse are good too but not really metal, prog with sax is a whole other thing.That Tchornobog album seems cool but I need to sit down and give it a proper listen.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

My favourite Lugubrum is De Totem but basically everything up to De vette cuecken is good to great. after that they lose me because they seem to go for a cleaner production and also there's more wacky parts that I don't think work as well. I guess De Ware Hound is sort of interesting because it's kind of their take on krautrock or something with very little metal at all but i haven't really felt like revisiting it.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I stumbled upon a Michael Kiske video from the last couple years

My god, did he get old, fat, and bald :stare:. Still has his same old pipes tho
It's pretty impressive, really. You look at him and he looks like he's really let himself go, but then he starts singing and welp he barely sounds different. I was never a huge fan of his, but I admit I have to admire him.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
necrofarm

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Nordick posted:

It's pretty impressive, really. You look at him and he looks like he's really let himself go, but then he starts singing and welp he barely sounds different. I was never a huge fan of his, but I admit I have to admire him.

Yeah, he still sings like the 18 yo pretty boy he was back in the day. That voice does not belong to the human thumb impersonator he currently is

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That is interesting and kinda cool that Helloween is touring with the two singers. Would be fun to hear Kiske sing Mr. Torture or something, mix it up a bit.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The new Vassafor album, Malediction, in its entirety. https://vassafor.bandcamp.com/album/malediction

quote:

Simply put, Malediction is a statement of intent. A purely Satanic album, in the band's eyes, and one which draws a line firmly in the sand, this is pure Southern Vassaforian Hell driven to the outer reaches of primitivism and transcendence. Here, VASSAFOR strip bare their most barbaric tendencies, down to their most unapologetic form, and build anew a temple of unimaginable might. The maw of chaos opens ever wide, beckoning the listener to submit and be devoured; meanwhile, tendrils of tension untether in a manner most ambient. If any of VASSAFOR's earlier work achieved a sense of vertigo - and it surely has - then Malediction is the band's most potent distillation/distortion of such yet. Across a time-evaporating/halting 50 minutes, each of the five tracks comprising Malediction work as mantra and spell simultaneously. Doom(ier) elements are largely traded for utter violence and virulence, which somehow makes the end result all the more stultifying and psychedelic in equal measure. Black Metal of Death: Southern Vassaforian HELL.

:dance:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spatulater bro! posted:

The new Vassafor album, Malediction, in its entirety. https://vassafor.bandcamp.com/album/malediction

Haha I love when the drummer in a band writes the promo blurb.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Heavy Metal posted:

That is interesting and kinda cool that Helloween is touring with the two singers. Would be fun to hear Kiske sing Mr. Torture or something, mix it up a bit.

This is also a thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Feu8bxF05Rw

It's not an amazing song, but pretty okay and it's a cool little novelty to hear all three of them in one song.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Exhumed is coming to Boston, on a day I'll actually be able to go to the show.

Pardon me while I poo poo myself.

They're touring with Arkaik, who I'd never heard of before this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMc5Y-CL2wY

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

Its a good album and they're cool guys.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The drummer in Vassafor is cool because he works as an exterminator and his hobby is collecting and displaying animal skeletons.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A human heart posted:

Its a good album and they're cool guys.

Yea I heard a bit of it and it was p cool.

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

Spatulater bro! posted:

This is very good and very creepy. How do yall listen to music like this without it making you feel super depressed?

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I ate lunch at a place that instead taking your name to call out, they do something cutesy and ask you a personal question to use as what they call out when your order is ready. I was not familiar with this practice and they asked me my favorite band. So today they had an order for "Bolt Thrower" among orders for "Dave Matthews", "The Eagles", and "E Street Band." Next time I'll just say "Korn" because they're pretty much the same.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No that's when you drop the 'Anal Leakage' bomb and watch their face.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Alright we got a chicken panini for Sunn .... Oh oh oh?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
"Sir, I don't think Paracoccidioidomicosisproctitissarcomucosis will fit on the bag..."

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

venutolo posted:

I ate lunch at a place that instead taking your name to call out, they do something cutesy and ask you a personal question to use as what they call out when your order is ready. I was not familiar with this practice and they asked me my favorite band. So today they had an order for "Bolt Thrower" among orders for "Dave Matthews", "The Eagles", and "E Street Band." Next time I'll just say "Korn" because they're pretty much the same.

maple street biscuit company?

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Ator posted:

This is very good and very creepy. How do yall listen to music like this without it making you feel super depressed?

I balance it out with happier stuff (like Bolt Thrower!). And I try not to listen to it when I'm in a lovely mood. 'cause yeah, it's pretty dismal stuff. Driving around with the windows down on a pleasant sunny day is the best time to blast Vassafor.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

kumba posted:

maple street biscuit company?

Yes. Was very confused at first. Had no idea why I was being asked that.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

venutolo posted:

Yes. Was very confused at first. Had no idea why I was being asked that.

indeed, i live in gainesville and the first time i went in to one i thought the person at the counter was just being nice when they asked what my favorite {something} was

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

kumba posted:

indeed, i live in gainesville and the first time i went in to one i thought the person at the counter was just being nice when they asked what my favorite {something} was

I was given a free tea in one coffee chain 'cos I was wearing a Napalm Death t-shirt, the guy serving me was also a fan. Made my day.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I got extra donuts once because I knew who Pig Destroyer were.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Minto Took posted:

I got extra donuts once because I knew who Pig Destroyer were.
woe be unto the donut store clerk who hates cops

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
still kinda think pig destroyer should've kept their original name even if it basically meant they'd never play anything bigger than a basement show

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Huh, I don't hate the new Marilyn Manson.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

still kinda think pig destroyer should've kept their original name even if it basically meant they'd never play anything bigger than a basement show

Diarrhea Planet are out here making money so who knows

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Been listening to Mastodon Emperor of sands at the gym lately. Pretty good album. Not as good as some fans were saying it was.

More of a fan of the sludge/doom type of older Mastodon than their newer more progressive sound. Well atleast they evolved pretty well unlike most bands.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Welp. Totally missed Elder were playing tonight.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ator posted:

Why would listening to that make you depressed

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Growing up on horror movies helped but while some music definitely just drags you into a depressed pit, I see most of it as embracing darkness and horrors that exist in reality and fiction. Getting scared is fun, being freaked out and not totally comprehending what’s going on is exciting. With art you get to experience those feelings with the knowledge that you can jump out whenever. When I was a kid I thought Leatherface was horrifying. I didn’t want to see him or The Texas Chainsaw Massacre but I had to watch. I had to have the action figure with the limbs in a bucket. It’s natural. Try driving past a car crash. It’s way worse but you still want to look don’t you?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

A human heart posted:

Why would listening to that make you depressed

i think (just thinkin' here) that some ppl might be affected by things in ways that are diff (different) than you

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

sure but its pretty weird to listen to something as other the top as a black metal record and get depressed don't you think

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I mean, there's a gigantic uniformly awful subdivision of black metal out there by for and about depression as understood by a fourteen year old boy, so I disagree with you on that level -- clearly someone is out there enjoying that.

As regards Vassafor though, no idea. Sure their sound is grim and can be kind of oppressive, but that's the point, they're making records about evil rituals of satanic spacemen or something. If that makes you depressed yeah, black metal is maybe not your jam

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Black metal makes me want to commit suicide as much as pizza thrash makes me want to do keg stands and as much as death metal makes me want to take the MCATs

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Ator posted:

Sometimes it's cathartic to listen to angry/sad/mad/whatever music because I can put those emotions into the music and let go of them, so I'm not carrying them around in my daily life.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

pizza thrash makes me want to do keg stands

it does tho

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

I mean, there's a gigantic uniformly awful subdivision of black metal out there by for and about depression as understood by a fourteen year old boy, so I disagree with you on that level -- clearly someone is out there enjoying that.

Hey man come on I like Woods of Ypres and Thrawsunblat largely because they're cornball as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Shakenbaker posted:

Hey man come on I like Woods of Ypres and Thrawsunblat largely because they're cornball as gently caress.

I assumed skasion meant actual DSBM garbage like Shining, not whiny hiking metal.