Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Still real bummed about David Gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

People sometimes mention that I don't listen to much happy music but actually most of the music I listen to makes me happy because I enjoy the artistry/songwriting/killer riffs/whatever. Only really, really bleak stuff actually gets me down at all. Stuff like stripped down singer/songwriter stuff or folk is more likely to be depressing than metal anyway IMO.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If people’s emotions directly reflected all the music they listened to then the only band anyone would enjoy is Electric Light Orchestra

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Just lol if you don't blast Summer of the Diabolical Holocaust while sunbathing on the beach

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Smirr posted:

whiny hiking metal.

Stealing this for future use.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Kilometers Davis posted:

Super same.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
I've been desensitized to content of metal for so long that I don't even have an emotional response to any of it except for "hell yeah sick riff".

Once was driving to get lunch from work had a coworker say "wait, what's this song about?" when Stripped, Raped and Strangled was playing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kilometers Davis posted:

With all the talent accumulated in Thrawsunblat, it makes you wonder what a Woods of Ypres album would have sounded like with Joel, Rae, and Brendan contributing

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Sometimes it's cathartic to listen to angry/sad/mad/whatever music because I can put those emotions into the music and let go of them, so I'm not carrying them around in my daily life.

This makes sense to me. I listen to angry music to get those emotions out.

Example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA4e5TXlGz0

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the only music that makes me depressed is contemporary christian

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Warning - Watching From A Distance can definitely put me in a sadbrains mood

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

My Dying Bride is the only thing that made me feel actual depressing dread when I first started listening to them

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Seeing them tonight, can't wait to get depressed as heck :hellyeah:

Actually I'm more excited about seeing Worm Ouroboros open for them. Gimme that ethereal spooky doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aCFOmQt9Pk

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

:same:

It's my go-to album for when I'm feeling down.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

It's good to see us all talking about feelings in here, good rock talk.

Here's a ballad. Strong men also cry...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tydTZvZDq8 (ok it's actually funny, but I love it)

And here's one of the legendary songs, (Take These) Chains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikMlVAt-w84

The ballad is a great art, love 'em. Alice Cooper was complaining on the WTF podcast that back in the day essentially you had to have one to get anything played on the radio as a hard rock band. I guess that's a bit of ballad history for ya. I don't know if that's why say Metallica did them, I don't know if Fade to Black got radio play at the time or anything, but it's a fun thing to see on a heavier album.

Lost in the Ozone is a great one by Motorhead too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qChOnZk7es

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 19, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy Metal posted:

I don't know if that's why say Metallica did them, I don't know if Fade to Black got radio play at the time or anything, but it's a fun thing to see on a heavier album.

it didn't but they wrote escape with the intent that it'd be a radio single

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
What's some good Christian metal other than Stryper and Theocracy? I'm looking for the best possible song where God just fucks up a bunch of people the way Satan normally does, possibly death growled and/or in a foreign language.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Alvarez IV posted:

What's some good Christian metal other than Stryper and Theocracy? I'm looking for the best possible song where God just fucks up a bunch of people the way Satan normally does, possibly death growled and/or in a foreign language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYkjCp9UlE4

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alvarez IV posted:

Believer
Incubus (not that one)
Trouble obviously

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Believer
Incubus (not that one)
Trouble obviously

Blindside

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Demon Hunter

Ghost

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Alvarez IV posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFPNExnpL4w

e: there's also a billion terrible christian metalcore bands

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 19, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Alvarez IV posted:

Creeping death is probably a good bet for God loving up a bunch of people.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Alvarez IV posted:

Speedica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UryI4ybKmj4

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Alvarez IV posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZSj6N8VTsc

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Incubus (not that one)
yessssssss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziyN-W_vl0k

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Hello, this is Bolt Thrower in the morning. Good Bolt Thrower to you. Today, part four of our series of the total extinction of the existence of mankind.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Then there's the thing with religious imagery in doom metal, this pervasive theme that the truest doom is God's judgment of man's sin, the thing that consigns a soul to eternal torment. Outside of Trouble there are pretty few doom bands that would identify as Christian, but exploring that line between salvation and hellfire is pretty key to bands like Candlemass.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Are Count Raven Christian or do they just really hate abortion?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Then there's the thing with religious imagery in doom metal, this pervasive theme that the truest doom is God's judgment of man's sin, the thing that consigns a soul to eternal torment. Outside of Trouble there are pretty few doom bands that would identify as Christian, but exploring that line between salvation and hellfire is pretty key to bands like Candlemass.

I always loved Reverend Bizarre's take on that. "Living in a cave won't be so bad if you think about past. / Remember the decayed, and the burial fires, which burned so fast. / And if your two daughters wanna gently caress their father night and day, / it's better to ride than let your house just fade away."

"You are Satan's slave.
Just a stupid child.
You say you're in love with Evil.
I say you're out of your mind!
Yes, your loving mind!

All right!"

Plus the entirety of The Wandering Jew (right before segueing into a Burzum cover, yikes). God, that band was weird as hell. Back in the day I always wondered if they were actually making fun of doom metal, but in the end decided that if that was the case they were really only owning themselves.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
I want a thrash metal band about dinosaurs called Asteroid Death.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

To Battle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gs0B0BWdMo

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

To Battle posted:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

please dont, goons will latch onto this like they did with okilly dokilly and babymetal

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Yeah but this is actually *for* babies not just named after them.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
My statement stands.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Smirr posted:

I always loved Reverend Bizarre's take on that. "Living in a cave won't be so bad if you think about past. / Remember the decayed, and the burial fires, which burned so fast. / And if your two daughters wanna gently caress their father night and day, / it's better to ride than let your house just fade away."

"You are Satan's slave.
Just a stupid child.
You say you're in love with Evil.
I say you're out of your mind!
Yes, your loving mind!

All right!"

Plus the entirety of The Wandering Jew (right before segueing into a Burzum cover, yikes). God, that band was weird as hell. Back in the day I always wondered if they were actually making fun of doom metal, but in the end decided that if that was the case they were really only owning themselves.

Christs may come and Christs may go but Caesar is forever :black101:

I do feel like they were taking the piss a bit but were clearly into it. Doom Over The World always struck me as a goofy love letter to the doom and it's great because of it.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Smirr posted:

I assumed skasion meant actual DSBM garbage like Shining, not whiny hiking metal.

I like my whiny hiking metal :colbert:

And besides the antics, why do so many people seem to hate on Shining?

Kilometers Davis posted:

COOL CORN posted:

Super same.

Super-duper same.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Trouble obviously

Obviously. It's been 33 years since Psalm 9 and a better Christian metal album has not appeared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Van Dis posted:

Seeing them tonight, can't wait to get depressed as heck :hellyeah:

Man, they're playing again; I caught what was probably their last concert before they split up back in 2009 or whenever it was. Let me tell you, "Footprints" live in a small venue was pretty intense.