Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

wow even Gruber is worried about the new keyboards

The reliability of the new MacBook/Pro keyboards seems like a huge problem. A piece of loving dust? Say what you want about the feel (and sound) of these new keyboards, the one thing that must be true for any good keyboard is that it has to be reliable. Like totally reliable. So reliable that it’s confusing when something does go wrong. That’s how Apple laptop keyboards have always been, dating back to the earliest days of the PowerBooks. There’ve been some I didn’t enjoy — the squishy-feeling iBook G3 keyboard comes to mind — but they’ve always been reliable.

I find these keyboards — specifically, the tales of woe about keys getting stuck or ceasing to work properly — a deeply worrisome sign about Apple’s priorities today.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
my wife (waifu) has been using a 6S+ for some time now (many years) and it is bad and the camera is apparently unusable and she wants to get the pixel 2 to replace it.

she actually, out loud irl, asked me if it was okay that her chat messages would be green instead of blue, and if i would love her less.

i said it definitely would make me love her less, but she's her own woman and can use inferior hardware if she must.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Beast of Bourbon posted:

my wife (waifu) has been using a 6S+ for some time now (many years) and it is bad and the camera is apparently unusable and she wants to get the pixel 2 to replace it.

she actually, out loud irl, asked me if it was okay that her chat messages would be green instead of blue, and if i would love her less.

i said it definitely would make me love her less, but she's her own woman and can use inferior hardware if she must.

lol

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beast of Bourbon posted:

jesus wept

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Beast of Bourbon posted:

do they sell pink (pinku) pixels 2 btw?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Beast of Bourbon posted:

your wife will love the new Qualcomm Adreno 540 GPU on the Google Pixel 2 XL

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
this keyboard poo poo rules as I am just about to order a new mbp

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

spooky snipe

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i used to wear shoes that looked like those lol

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

actually there are AT&T data plans where you get like 3GB/month and after that it's "unlimited" data capped to poo poo-tier speeds

i'm on this plan with my wife. you get a text message at 75% usage, 90%, and when you're over and on 256kbs (for the rest of the month, and when your month ends).

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

akadajet posted:

i used to wear shoes that looked like those lol

steve invented normcore

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

actually there are AT&T data plans where you get like 3GB/month and after that it's "unlimited" data capped to poo poo-tier speeds

t-mobile was the same on their older plans, but they let you accumulate unused data and use that if you go over instead of throttling you.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

The_Franz posted:

t-mobile was the same on their older plans, but they let you accumulate unused data and use that if you go over instead of throttling you.
Verizon does both. One month rollover and “smart guard” or something that throttles you after you run out of data instead of charging you more.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
appleinsider was pro as hell like 15 years ago

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

The_Franz posted:

yeah it's great. you get to rollover data for a year before it expires and even if it does they only deprioritize you if the tower is under load. on top of that they do all the music/video streaming not counting against your bandwidth thing which owns

i have over ten gigs stashed up

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Beast of Bourbon posted:

dont abuse your wife

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
should i get a mbp in space grey or silver

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

in "wait until next model"

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

cinci zoo sniper posted:

in "wait until next model"

when are they expected to announce new ones casue this air is like six years old and its not my money im spending

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bump_fn posted:

when are they expected to announce new ones casue this air is like six years old and its not my money im spending

if it's not your money then space gray and max it out

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

bump_fn posted:

get the one with a dust filter

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

bump_fn posted:

if it's not your money then space grey with apple care, otherwise only mild rumours

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:geno:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i cant believe the 15" cant be had without the stupid loving touch bar

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I would put the mac pro squarely in don't buy. same with imac unless you need it for front of office or a hair dressers or something

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm surprised macbook air is in "neutral". did that get some silent cpu update or something?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
wasn't the iMac updated quite recently? although it makes sense to wait for the new cpus since intel finally increased the core count, but that goes for all of them

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

I would put the mac pro squarely in don't buy. same with imac unless you need it for front of office or a hair dressers or something

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

when adjusted for mac user inflation its don't even remotely consider across the board.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

bump_fn posted:

i cant believe the 15" cant be had without the stupid loving touch bar

oh are the old ones gone forever now ?

e: no, they're still available

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
don’t buy a Mac Pro, it’s bad.

iMac 5k is great and you should definitely buy one. get it before they take the usb a ports off

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Boiled Water posted:

tbh as ancient and inadequate as the 2014 mini is it's probably more needs suiting for the target market than the current pro

5k imac is a good computer mostly

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
how long until you guys think usb-c is totally ubiquitous? 10 years? I don’t know anything about computers.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

how long until you guys think usb-c is totally ubiquitous? 10 years? I don’t know anything about computers.

depends on the setting. My current workplace only has vga connectors in a handful of conference rooms now, but public institutions in denmark have them in every room like it's the 1980s

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

in 10 years we will be fighting usb-succ draining electricity from our brain computers. usb-c ubiquity, maybe even just hypothetical, is at least some 3-4 years off.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

but PoE works just fine for my ubiquiti stuff

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

depends on the setting. My current workplace only has vga connectors in a handful of conference rooms now, but public institutions in denmark have them in every room like it's the 1980s

my work computer is stuck on a really dumb usb3.1 to dvi dongle that dies on me every now and then for a bit, and now our supply dude is playing dead for a week ago since i trashed their plan for buying monitor extensions for my colleagues (worthless expenditure of 4000 dkk), and instead asked them to get me, alongside with already ordered new monitor, a 700 dkk converter from thunderbolt 3 to dual displayport

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

but PoE works just fine for my ubiquiti stuff

path of exile works very much against my ubiquity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Boiled Water posted:

lmao if your office doesn't do all screen sharing and projector hookups over wifi