Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kashuno posted:

It has been a long rear end time since I watched it, but didn't Tien use it and not die vs King Piccolo?

That's one of the manga/anime differences I think. In the manga he never gets the chance because the rice cooker is cracked while in the anime he tries it on Piccolo, Drum gets in the way and then the rice cooker gets blown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I mentioned this ages ago, but Tien, master of suicide attacks, was the one to figure out how to use the Mafuba and survive.

He only caught like, Drum or whoever, but it still worked.

The Mafuba basically works like the TriBeam, only a bit more intense. They're both the ULTIMATE TECHNIQUE of their respective schools and both are supposed to be the be all end all fight enders that put the user at risk as well as the person getting hit.

Roshi only died because he was extremely old and was not in shape like he is now. He also put ALL of his energy into it, which is what killed him.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Roshi's master also died and it was implied it was the consequence of the technique and is why Roshi refused to teach it to Tien and claim he didn't know it himself.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Mordaedil posted:

Roshi's master also died and it was implied it was the consequence of the technique and is why Roshi refused to teach it to Tien and claim he didn't know it himself.

He died because he wasn't strong enough, not because 'mafuba kills you'

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mafuba wasn't used before Zamasu just because that would be the easy way out, and Goku was mostly sure that Cell and Buu could probably be killed by his kids after some fun fights. Zamasu proved to be unstoppable even if they overpowered him which is why Goku was willing to pull it out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gruckles posted:

Mafuba wasn't used before Zamasu just because that would be the easy way out, and Goku was mostly sure that Cell and Buu could probably be killed by his kids after some fun fights. Zamasu proved to be unstoppable even if they overpowered him which is why Goku was willing to pull it out.

Couldn't they just shove him in a box or something?

E: Do that thing they did with Gluttony in FMA

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

hosed up that they announce even more DLC for Xenoverse 2 but it's still not playable Kale and Caulifla.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

a cartoon duck posted:

hosed up that they announce even more DLC for Xenoverse 2 but it's still not playable Kale and Caulifla.

Pretty sure all the U6 Saiyans were designed in the XV2 character creator anyway.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Gruckles posted:

I think it's also a side effect of POWER LEVELS becoming the defining thing in fights for a while.

I've been watching the Kai dub of the Buu saga, and even the show acknowledges how useless most of the cast is by having them play cards while Buu's out killing everyone. Raw strength is still kind of the main thing in Super, but there's nobody who's portrayed as completely useless in a fight. Except against Jiren, but that's entirely the point of his character, that EVERYONE is useless against him.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Jiren is the equivalent of Buddha and Goku is Wukong trying to obtain Buddahood

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Jiren is strong and my friend. He is a harsh but fair punchman

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What is Jiren's powerlevel?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rhonne posted:

Unironically: "His power is Maximum"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rhonne posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Marron would explode a Scouter at this point. Everybody on the show is immeasurable, except for possibly Bulma and Mr. Satan.

e: Beerus and Whis probably read as "0", which is hilarious

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Rhonne posted:

Remember when you used to look at DBZ fan sites listing power levels? And how they just got progressively more insane after Freeza? And like Vegito was 225 billion? He's that. I mean if you were to read his power level it would just bring up that website.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I remember seeing one of those lists in the wild once, there was no gradual measure, it just immediately went "Yeah SSj3 Goku has a power level of eight hundred trillion"

This is why I like Tori's idea of a 1-20 scale if you HAVE to argue tiers, and we already have the start and end capped with (presumably) the Grand Angel at 20, Whis at 15, Beerus at 12, and work from there

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Jiren is a solid 13, I guess Goku is probably at least a 10 now, maybe even with Jiren once he figures out Ultra Instinct

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Yeah but what's Jiren's power level as measured in Kili?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kashuno posted:

Jiren is the equivalent of Buddha and Goku is Wukong trying to obtain Buddahood

I saw that reddit post too, it's actually p good

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Uh, heat is the new power levels, maybe pay attention to the show.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

drilldo squirt posted:

Super(nova) Saiyan confirmed for post-UI form

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

drilldo squirt posted:

heat was all the energy leaking from Goku's body, maybe pay attention to the show :haw:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

jiren's power level is a syntax error on your calculator

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

IcePhoenix posted:

heat was all the energy leaking from Goku's body, maybe pay attention to the show :haw:

Heat is much more powerful than power, imagine all the heat he was keeping inside. Yeah, poo poo is getting intense.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Blaze Dragon posted:

a whole new game mode where you control pieces based on the characters in a board.

This sounds like the storymode from Budokai 2. Which was pretty neat.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Blaze Dragon posted:

In other games, Xenoverse 2 announced yet another DLC Pack, this time with Android 13 and Tapion as playable characters

Lame, I'd rather have Pikkon than of all people, Android 13--

Blaze Dragon posted:

and most interestingly, a whole new game mode where you control pieces based on the characters in a board.

bwuh??

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

drilldo squirt posted:

Goku's mastered the Yakuza style of fighting. He just needs to rip out some of Jiren's teeth with a pair of pliers and he'll be good

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I want a Jiren backstory. All I know about him is that he's a v. strong pride trooper, he meditates a lot, and he doesn't talk much.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

We're totally going to get his backstory because something is loving up

You don't have a universe that doesn't make the break to be spared have this one dude who can conquer Destroyers who just happens to be part of the Pride Troopers, whose every single member is thousands of leagues below this one dude who isn't even the leader

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

we know as much about jiren as we do hit at this point

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah we know they both own

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah we know they both own

I was gonna make a joke about them renting or something, but imagine a buddy comedy where Goku, Hit, and Jiren share an apartment.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

the next chapter of the manga shows clown god as being unusually and disturbingly powerful compared to the other GoDs so there might be some kind of dark secret there

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

HitTheTargets posted:

I was gonna make a joke about them renting or something, but imagine a buddy comedy where Goku, Hit, and Jiren share an apartment.

Jiren stares into the refrigerator, running up the electric bill. Goku hires Hit to assassinate him. The landlord, Zeno, threatens to erase their universe if Hit tries to kill Jiren. Yamcha dies.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I wonder if Jiren can be erased like if Zeno were to erase his universe and he is just able to power through it like Frieza.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The interview Kanzenshuu just put up with the guy behind Dragon Ball GT explains a lot of that show's problems

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/dragon-ball-gt-dragon-book-gt-back-then-kozo-morishita-interview/

my personal favorite highlight is the producer accidentally admitting he doesn't know Trunks and Future Trunks are different characters

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

After Freiza showed he can tank destroying ki, I have zero doubts he's going to no-sell a Hakai, and possibly Zeno's power on top of that. Or he could just wish himself immune to divine erasure - who the hell stops him then if he can just trash on the others with their instant-win button broken?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

quote:

And so Dragon Ball GT finally began. But during the early phase of the program, there were many episodes where Pan was very active.
Pan’s role was to be strong but still lose to the enemies and then be rescued by Goku, to be a “heroine who makes Goku a hero”. To go off-topic a bit, even the hit movie Titanic moved women because it’s a story where the heroine (now an old woman) remembers the hero; isn’t that basic movie-making? If the hero doesn’t rescue the heroine, maybe adults will understand that life is like that too sometimes, but for children it becomes a very harsh story. Stories where the hero rescues the heroine have a sense of security. Therefore we created a pattern where Pan is imperiled and Goku gets mad at the enemy: “I won’t let you get away with this!”

Though Pan has Saiyan blood, she never becomes a Super Saiyan.
Dragon Ball GT has an episode where Pan is turned into a doll, but that episode established the pattern of “Pan sets the incident in motion while Goku resolves it”. So it would break that pattern to make Pan a Super Saiyan and strong. But perhaps Pan could have become a Super Saiyan if the episode where she was turned into a doll had been a later one.

hahaha what a sack of poo poo

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Pan got some creepy loving pedotastic treatment in that show, and I pray to goddamn Goku that she ends up in Super as the ultra-prodigy that Gohan never wanted to be

Pan learns Ultra Instinct by the same time Gohan went SSj2 or bust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I guess the idea of the heroine saving herself never occurred to this guy