Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

d0s posted:

honestly though it's 2017 and you can discount all the stuff I posted above unless you are crazy and/or wealthy, get or build one really good stick with sanwa or seimitsu arcade quality parts and slap one of these in there https://paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-console-joystick/1828-toodles-mc-cthulhu.html

Dude! This is perfect. I love projects and a frankenstick sounds great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I should probably take my own advice re MC Cthulu tbh

From top to bottom, left to right:

XE-1 HE Pro (PCE)
XE-1 ST2 (Genesis, and anything that uses 9pin)
ASCII Stick II Turbo MSX (9pin stuff, used primarily with X68000)
ASCII Stick II Turbo FC (NES/Famicom)
Capcom Fighter Power Stick (SNES)
Hori Fighting Stick Neo (Neo-Geo CD, and anything that uses 15pin, but I rarely use this stick anymore, Sigma 8000TB is way better)
Sega Virtua Stick - Joystick replaced with Seimitsu LS-58 (Saturn)
Sigma 8000TB - Seimitsu LS-32 & all Seimitsu buttons (15pin, I actually have two of these and use them with supergun mostly but also NGCD)
Sega HKT-7300 (Dreamcast)
Hori Real Arcade Pro Tekken 5 Japan ver w/Sanwa JLF stick (PS1/PS2)
Some awful Wii stick idk (Wii)
Hori Real Arcade Pro VX-SE Kai - Standard LS-32 replaced with LS-56, changed balltop and buttons to neon green limited seimitsu stuff (X360, all PC/USB stuff)

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 18, 2017

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Hi new thread. Suggestion for first post about CD generation consoles- use good media.

I had many issues with my Turbo Duo until using goon recommended media which was CMC Pro something, I ended up buying these and my life is better for having played through Rondo of Blood

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00065DGYQ

lo carb Lo Pan
Oct 8, 2004

Late to reply, but I use a 3 button Genesis Controller on my 7800 with one of these converters: http://www.edladdin.com/Adapters_c3.htm

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

d0s posted:

I should probably take my own advice re MC Cthulu tbh

From top to bottom, left to right:

XE-1 HE Pro (PCE)
XE-1 ST2 (Genesis, and anything that uses 9pin)
ASCII Stick II Turbo MSX (9pin stuff, used primarily with X68000)
ASCII Stick II Turbo FC (NES/Famicom)
Capcom Fighter Power Stick (SNES)
Hori Fighting Stick Neo (Neo-Geo CD, and anything that uses 15pin, but I rarely use this stick anymore)
Sega Virtua Stick - Joystick replaced with Seimitsu LS-58 (Saturn)
Sigma 8000TB - Seimitsu LS-32 & all Seimitsu buttons (15pin, I actually have two of these and use them with supergun mostly but also NGCD)
Sega HKT-7300 (Dreamcast)
Hori Real Arcade Pro Tekken 5 Japan ver w/Sanwa stick (PS1/PS2)
Some awful Wii stick idk (Wii)
Hori Real Arcade Pro VX-SE Kai - Standard LS-32 replaced with LS-56, changed balltop and buttons to neon green limited seimitsu stuff (X360, all PC/USB stuff)

I have a madcatz fightstick pro special edition with all sanwa parts just collecting dust. I could just put the mc cthulu in there.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I have a madcatz fightstick pro special edition with all sanwa parts just collecting dust. I could just put the mc cthulu in there.

there you go, that would be perfect. I'm thinking of doing the same with my HRAP VX-SE or one of the 8000TBs and then selling a bunch of the sticks it would make redundant, a lot of these things are worth stupid money now

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
God I still loving love the look of that Sigma 8000TB

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

God I still loving love the look of that Sigma 8000TB

It's my favorite stick to use too because the heavy metal case feels the least like a toy, like it's part of one of the older style candy cabs or something, same seimitsu sticks and flat style buttons as used in those too

e: in case people are wondering about the 8000TB's weird looking layout, mentally erase the leftmost green buttons. the bottom one is the start button and the top is a spare/utility button (all buttons can be remapped, there is a patch bay inside)

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 18, 2017

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Kazvall posted:

Hey, I had a booth this year at Retro World Expo, and I'm just curious if I accidentally met some goons. We are RetroGamingArts.

I was there on Sunday mostly sleep deprived and fighting off the rear end end of a cold. What were y'all selling? I bsed a bit with the lovely couple who have that Fire Tower board game, a bit with the cool folks who had those kickass shadow boxes, and one of the regular sellers who I got Saturn Bomberman for a fair price. A friend of a friend was the artist dude at Badgerlord Studios. My friend being the fellow with the U.K. accent. I had my extremely damaged driving glasses on most of the time as I was so zonked out I wasn't seeing properly.

If I was more awake I probably would have enjoyed it more. Also it seemed like all the really interesting stuff was on Saturday. I was working and going Sunday meant it was cheaper.

I did get to play Mr Do and Crazy Climber arcade cabinets for the very first time. Mr Do is good but I've only played a little on the Colecovision at a previous Rwx. Crazy Climber is kinda poo poo.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The only stick I've ever owned (and still do) is a Saitek MegaMaster II which..sure is kinda crap.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

It's my favorite stick to use too because the heavy metal case feels the least like a toy, like it's part of one of the older style candy cabs or something, same seimitsu sticks and flat style buttons as used in those too

e: in case people are wondering about the 8000TB's weird looking layout, mentally erase the leftmost green buttons. the bottom one is the start button and the top is a spare/utility button (all buttons can be remapped, there is a patch bay inside)

Yeah the aesthetic of those cabs is :kiss:

and yeah I dig heavy controllers too, I like that I could probably use my xbone controller to defend my home from invaders, and when I build my effortstick eventually I want at least a metal bottom plate on it [with wood construction otherwise]

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

There's one good stick missing from that list of SNES sticks:

Made by a company named C&L back in the 90s and uses Happ parts. Kinda light since it's just a plastic case with arcade parts and a PCB inside, but it was one of the few ways to get something with genuine arcade parts in the US back then. (ignore the extra wires sticking out of it, this image was from me showing off some mods on the SRK forums 9 years ago.)

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Zonekeeper posted:

There's one good stick missing from that list of SNES sticks:

Made by a company named C&L back in the 90s and uses Happ parts. Kinda light since it's just a plastic case with arcade parts and a PCB inside, but it was one of the few ways to get something with genuine arcade parts in the US back then. (ignore the extra wires sticking out of it, this image was from me showing off some mods on the SRK forums 9 years ago.)

different strokes but I scored the genesis version of this from a thrift store for like a buck years ago and totally hated it. happ stuff feels so clunky and imprecise and the 3 straight across button layout is satanic

e: I sold it for $80 a few months ago though so I guess some people like it

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

So I put the NES back together and fired it up. It works but I still need to fiddle with the cart repeatedly to get it to work. :( SO I bit the bullet and wen't ahead and bought the BLW mod. I should have it by the end of the week.

edit: So now, God help me, I'm looking at the AV mods for the front loader NESes. I'm also looking at Monitor Burn's SAMart thread. What do you all recommend, the NESRGB or the Hi-Def NES HDMI? If I wanted to take that next step. I'm probably going to pay him to do it, if I do.

RGB modded AV Famicom from Monitor Burn with an Everdrive N8 have boosted my retro game life quality immensely.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'd also go with a normal RGB mod over any HDMI stuff, it's just more flexible and you can use a PVM etc.

e: also have people figured out the palette stuff yet? last I heard none of the NESRGB palettes were exactly right so I've been holding out

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

d0s posted:

honestly though it's 2017 and you can discount all the stuff I posted above unless you are crazy and/or wealthy, get or build one really good stick with sanwa or seimitsu arcade quality parts and slap one of these in there https://paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-console-joystick/1828-toodles-mc-cthulhu.html

The MC Cthulhu is pretty cool, but be warned that it has compatibility issues in NES/SNES mode, and apparently has the potential to damage Dreamcasts since it pushes 5v signals over the console's 3.3v controller bus. :(

I have the PlayStation 2 version of this stick, with the internals gutted and replaced with an MC Cthulhu:

Of course, being a Pelican product, the stick and buttons are absolute trash, but I plan on replacing them with some good Seimitsu parts in the (hopefully) not-too-distant future.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

All New Sonic posted:

The MC Cthulhu is pretty cool, but be warned that it has compatibility issues in NES/SNES mode, and apparently has the potential to damage Dreamcasts since it pushes 5v signals over the console's 3.3v controller bus. :(

I would never plug it into a dreamcast as I like the green stick too much (and using a VMU) but the compatibility stuff is troubling, do you have a link for more info?

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

d0s posted:

I would never plug it into a dreamcast as I like the green stick too much (and using a VMU) but the compatibility stuff is troubling, do you have a link for more info?

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/11442254/#Comment_11442254

A few years ago, I wrote an NES controller test ROM, and verified that the MC Cthulhu does not report identically to a standard controller. Thankfully, most games don't care, but there are a few that will throw a fit if they don't get the exact signature they're looking for. (This affects both NES and SNES modes because they use the same protocol.)

Additionally, mine refuses to work in NES/SNES mode unless I plug it in after turning on the console. I recall a few posts earlier in that thread mentioning a similar issue.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

McCracAttack posted:

Oh yeah, there's also the official Turbo Grafx Turbo Stick. But I don't think anyone likes it.

I like it :colbert:

But I wouldn't recommend it as your only stick for the system seeing as it's only 2 buttons.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

or this (halken jb king)

I wanted one of these back when I saw it in GamePro, just because it's so endearingly overdesigned. You can rotate the four main buttons, and that huge slot at the bottom is an expansion port. For what, I'm not sure.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Anyone aware of incompatibility between MVS unibios 3? Almost pulled trigger on this combo and seller says they don't work together for some reason.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

falz posted:

Anyone aware of incompatibility between MVS unibios 3? Almost pulled trigger on this combo and seller says they don't work together for some reason.

If it is a MV-1AX it is giant pain to replace because it is AES style soldered SMD. The MV-1B and -1C are also SMD but have a very easy adapter board that just requires lifting 2 pins (https://www.neogeofanclub.com/projects/neobiosmasta-og).

Every other MVS model is socketed and unibios installation should just work swapping them.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

All New Sonic posted:

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/11442254/#Comment_11442254

A few years ago, I wrote an NES controller test ROM, and verified that the MC Cthulhu does not report identically to a standard controller. Thankfully, most games don't care, but there are a few that will throw a fit if they don't get the exact signature they're looking for. (This affects both NES and SNES modes because they use the same protocol.)

Additionally, mine refuses to work in NES/SNES mode unless I plug it in after turning on the console. I recall a few posts earlier in that thread mentioning a similar issue.

I seem to recall that at one point you were testing it out with the AV Famicom and it corrupted the hell out of the graphics when you were using the PowerPak to run that ROM, but I forget if it was that or the NES Advantage.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
A shame the PS360+ is no longer made. It seemed to have been a much better multi-console board than the MC Cthulhu.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

drat Rufus, if I had seen ya I woulda shouted at you!

Oh, we were selling modded consoles and repping our youtube. :)

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Can someone explain what all I need to get a Gameboy player for Gamecube working without the boot disc? I just got one and it's a bit confusing reading

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

African AIDS cum posted:

Can someone explain what all I need to get a Gameboy player for Gamecube working without the boot disc? I just got one and it's a bit confusing reading

Uh, I think a mod chip and a copy of the boot disk.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

worthless. posted:

Uh, I think a mod chip and a copy of the boot disk.

From what I have read I need an SD media launcher but its just called action replay now? And a separate SD memory card thing since the included one doesnt support many cards

Or is the gamecube mod easy to do?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

African AIDS cum posted:

From what I have read I need an SD media launcher but its just called action replay now? And a separate SD memory card thing since the included one doesnt support many cards

That would work too, but yes the GameCube mod is easy.

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Someone mentioned the SNES Advantage, I had one. :smith:

Oh god, that button layout. :psyduck:

The Score Master, which I had no idea existed, at least had a sane layout.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

African AIDS cum posted:

I did it with a hacked wii. You use the wii homebrew app that can write to GC memory cards and install a hacked SSBM save that loads Game Boy Interface.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

RZA Encryption posted:

I did it with a hacked wii. You use the wii homebrew app that can write to GC memory cards and install a hacked SSBM save that loads Game Boy Interface.

Oh nice I already have everything I need to do that then

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since they finally got the power supplies in, has anyone got a shipping notice for the OSSC yet? I am worry that I might be in the 100 unlucky delayed group who has to wait a week longer for it to ship.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

African AIDS cum posted:

This thing, this thing, and this thing.

I find it's a lot easier to use this than it is dealing with SSBM or modchips, and it works just fine.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Rirse posted:

Since they finally got the power supplies in, has anyone got a shipping notice for the OSSC yet? I am worry that I might be in the 100 unlucky delayed group who has to wait a week longer for it to ship.

Just got my shipping email now.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dishwasherlove posted:

Just got my shipping email now.

Ugh, I am probably in the unlucky 100 group. :smith:

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

BigRed0427 posted:

So I’m lookking around for a guide to clean a nES, plus the pin connector. I found one guy who said to use rubbing alcohol and 600 grit sandpaper. Is he loving with me or is that how you actually are suppose to clean the pins? How do you all normally do it?

Also holy poo poo. Retro Youtubers, if your making how to guides on repairs and stuff then get on with it. I don’t need to see you skit or you go on for five minuets about how the last NES you bough had a crowded motherboard and bricked.

I know this is from a bit back, but I use 1500-2000 grit sandpaper wrapped around a gift card to clean the pins. Works great, just don't overdo it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Alucardd posted:

If it is a MV-1AX it is giant pain to replace because it is AES style soldered SMD. The MV-1B and -1C are also SMD but have a very easy adapter board that just requires lifting 2 pins (https://www.neogeofanclub.com/projects/neobiosmasta-og).

Every other MVS model is socketed and unibios installation should just work swapping them.
Thanks. The board in question is an MV-1C and already has unibios 3 installed, he just says the 161-in-1 cart doesn't work with Unibios at all. I thought this is more or less what was in the MVS Omega and I thought it worked fine there, so I'm confused.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

But I wouldn't recommend it as your only stick for the system seeing as it's only 2 buttons.

Thats less of an issue than it seems like, unless you really like that one port of Street Fighter II'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006

falz posted:

Thanks. The board in question is an MV-1C and already has unibios 3 installed, he just says the 161-in-1 cart doesn't work with Unibios at all. I thought this is more or less what was in the MVS Omega and I thought it worked fine there, so I'm confused.

Yeah I use a 161-in-1 more or less fine on my MV-1B with unibios 3.2.