Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
has any other game done the thing where the players move freely around inside a ship controlled by another player without the janky hosed up bugginess? all i remember is like using aircraft carriers in battlefield games, but those move around so slowly it never really mattered and most of the clip thru bugs were expected and accepted

e: catcoon tax

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Was satanball an Illfonic thing?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

has any other game done the thing where the players move freely around inside a ship controlled by another player without the janky hosed up bugginess? all i remember is like using aircraft carriers in battlefield games, but those move around so slowly it never really mattered and most of the clip thru bugs were expected and accepted
I never played, but apparently Star Wars Galaxies did it fine in 2004.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Colostomy Bag posted:

To be honest I might be an oddball, but what the hell was the attraction to santaball besides Ender's Game? The zero-G poo poo or something else? In short, what was the selling point of that abortion?

There is always a small-subset of whales who will spend mad money if you manage to tickle their specific nerd needs (neerds). Worms, Enders Game, RTS games, Rape, Air traffic control, etc. You just cast your net wide and see what gets trapped, it's not like you're going to actually put any effort into it.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

illectro posted:

I'll take care of him.

I did suggest a drinking game where mentioning any Chris Roberts or David Braben game required taking a shot. Would encourage looking beyond the 2 games represented by developers. But Twitchcon doesn't allow that.

I'll take a shot of Jamesons each time you or Ed manage to subtley squeeze the word 'fidelity' or 'jpeg' into the flow of conversation

"That would be a question of fidelity"

"You just didn't have the fidelities back then"

"I remember my first jpeg, we were so happy'

That kind of thing

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

There is always a small-subset of whales who will spend mad money if you manage to tickle their specific nerd needs (neerds). Worms, Enders Game, RTS games, Rape, Air traffic control, etc. You just cast your net wide and see what gets trapped, it's not like you're going to actually put any effort into it.

For me it's ASCII roguelikes.

I just throw money at the screen if I have to print out a key reference AND a symbol reference.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Goosfraba posted:

Greetings from the middle of nowhere.

Moons.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hav posted:

And yet the runaway success of Wonder Woman didn't give us female avatars. MAKES YOU THINK.

True but dumb and dumber 2 came out in 2014 and that's when we got Lando and Ben on camera

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

hot balls man no homo posted:

The price is going to be dependent on how confident CIG is in their presentation. If it's a huge update/bucket of lies then the price will probably top out close to 1k. If CIG is expecting a disappointing show and are already prepping an apology video then the price is probably closer to 400. The price could cause a backer revolt if they aren't careful with it. We know that it is a blatant moneygrab, but they can't make it obvious to the backers.

I know that CIG motivates its whales to buy NOW because "the price will only go up in the future" -- but have they ever done a sale where they said up front how much they plan on jacking up the price of a .jpg for future buyers?

Given that all of their pricing is utterly harebrained bullshit anyway, I'm just wondering what's keeping them from announcing that their new game-changer ship will cost $X in cash money if bought during the first days of the big con (i.e., before anyone has a chance to fully process how loving dire the future of the project looks and all hope dies screaming within their hearts), but $5X or more if bought after that. You know, really lean into the high-pressure "limited time offer! don't delay!" scam by pretending the actual price they think they can squeeze out of an idiot is actually a massive discount on an absurd price literally nobody would pay, ever? Pile on the LTI and the limited-edition ship skins and a combo pack version and all the other sketchy poo poo they do to get their customers to spend more for literally nothing, and maybe they could still rescue their sales figures for this quarter.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

illectro posted:

I'll take care of him.

I did suggest a drinking game where mentioning any Chris Roberts or David Braben game required taking a shot. Would encourage looking beyond the 2 games represented by developers. But Twitchcon doesn't allow that.

Mime drinking every time it happens.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Trilobite posted:

I know that CIG motivates its whales to buy NOW because "the price will only go up in the future" -- but have they ever done a sale where they said up front how much they plan on jacking up the price of a .jpg for future buyers?

Given that all of their pricing is utterly harebrained bullshit anyway, I'm just wondering what's keeping them from announcing that their new game-changer ship will cost $X in cash money if bought during the first days of the big con (i.e., before anyone has a chance to fully process how loving dire the future of the project looks and all hope dies screaming within their hearts), but $5X or more if bought after that. You know, really lean into the high-pressure "limited time offer! don't delay!" scam by pretending the actual price they think they can squeeze out of an idiot is actually a massive discount on an absurd price literally nobody would pay, ever? Pile on the LTI and the limited-edition ship skins and a combo pack version and all the other sketchy poo poo they do to get their customers to spend more for literally nothing, and maybe they could still rescue their sales figures for this quarter.

They've already tried the "Buy now before it's too late!" gambit and burned the backers multiple times before. I don't know if it'll work again after such a disappointing year but you can always count on CIG to play the hits at big cons.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Trilobite posted:

Nope, uncertainty fuels impulse buys. They are extremely incompetent game developers but accomplished whale milkers.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Trilobite posted:

"ships will be 3 times more expensive to buy with UEC than during the pledge period" or something along those lines I remember them saying. IIRC 1000 UEC costs $1, so an aurora would cost 150k ingame cash (which you could grind or buy for $150) instead of $50 or whatever it costs now.

There would have to be some kind of ingame economy for any of that to happen though

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Even the most die hard of whales will start to wince a little bit as Chris clamps down on their dry and chapped nipples for the 10th time this year

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Pretty sure they're all too busy debating if it would be worth it to melt the ships they bought in 2014 that CIG never mentioned again or hold onto them in case they're needed to use the ship they're worried they might miss a chance to buy.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

hot balls man no homo posted:

They've already tried the "Buy now before it's too late!" gambit and burned the backers multiple times before. I don't know if it'll work again after such a disappointing year but you can always count on CIG to play the hits at big cons.

Check out reddit. They're creaming themselves.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Frogbear has learned to see images.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

BloodyScab posted:

Moons

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

illectro posted:

I'll take care of him.

Challenge Ben to not mention "Wing Commander" at all throughout the panel session, else he pays for dinner and drinks for you all :getin:

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Goosfraba posted:

Greetings from the middle of nowhere.

get rid of the stars and the potato and that could be a nice shot

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

BloodyScab posted:

I don't think they are tbf. Voting is low on the post and comments, looks like there are only a few dozen Citizens hyped for the game changer jpeg

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
There has to be a game for there to be a game changer imo

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Blue On Blue posted:

Even the most die hard of whales will start to wince a little bit as Chris clamps down on their dry and chapped nipples for the 10th time this year

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

Hey now. Changing a game from 0 to ε is still a change.

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Colostomy Bag posted:

To be honest I might be an oddball, but what the hell was the attraction to santaball besides Ender's Game? The zero-G poo poo or something else? In short, what was the selling point of that abortion?

It's like Blitzball but instead of giving you a weapon that can kill god in one hit for suffering through the tedium, you get your very own decorative Benny's vending machine for your hanger.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Has Clifford the mega whale booked his flight to citizen con yet ? I imagine he will be tweeting all sorts of pictures soon where he looks like a small child wearing a glue on beard

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

BloodyScab posted:

Wow, sounds like a real game changer.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

peter gabriel posted:

This is a game changer game changer...

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Yeah well you know what guys I don't think it's a game changer

Toops fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 19, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blue On Blue posted:

Has Clifford the mega whale booked his flight to citizen con yet ? I imagine he will be tweeting all sorts of pictures soon where he looks like a small child wearing a glue on beard

He probably already booked four tickets. One for himself, one for his waifu, and two for his wife.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
LMAO!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Beexoffel posted:

Frogbear has learned to see images.

my most stimperious creation!!!! :O

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Latin Pheonix posted:

I had to look this up on google and apparently Ben thought Freespace 2 was a cheap rip-off of Prophecy. Christ on a stick.

It’d be best to not google him too much. There are things out there that will disgust you enough that even talking about him will make you feel icky.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I hope this gets to 200 million before the announcement that they're giving up. "The story behind the 200 million dollar crowdfunding flop" sounds much better than 160 million when added as a tagline to the upcoming books and documentaries.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I'm failing to grasp how people are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on jpeg ships when it is unclear improbable that the game will even accommodate multiplayer... Didn't they already say that it is not going to be an MMO? And they're having trouble even getting a lovely instance group together?

Sorry I haven't been able to follow the thread in it's entirety; I'm assuming these were answered already somewhere

The_Groove
Mar 15, 2003

Supersonic compressible convection in the sun
can't spell morons without moons

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Omniblivion posted:

I'm failing to grasp how people are spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on jpeg ships when it is unclear improbable that the game will even accommodate multiplayer... Didn't they already say that it is not going to be an MMO? And they're having trouble even getting a lovely instance group together?

Sorry I haven't been able to follow the thread in it's entirety; I'm assuming these were answered already somewhere

Because it's always been about buying the dreams and not the actual product.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Omniblivion posted:

Yeah well then I guess you haven't heard about A Real Game Changer 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Snazzy Frocks posted:

e: catcoon tax

Star Wars Galaxies did a remarkable job of it well over 12 years ago. If you had one of the larger ships you could leave the pilot's seat, have others on board who could man turrets, etc. If you had a cruise ship there was actually an observation deck where you could watch other players in their own ships battling through asteroid fields etc.

Since a fully fleshed out game that already had nearly everything Chris Roberts is promising, and the Star Wars IP behind it to boot, was a financial loss in the first year, and a constant drain on a company Sony's size every year it was in operation, then it stands to reason that an unknown hack IP from a washed-up has-been with a non-functioning engine and no overarcing game design should be a going concern indefinitely for a company that's never delivered a game and has no other income stream to rely on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Omniblivion posted:

The story isn't complete until you go back to the first threads and see this project through the lens of shameful hope.