Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
For pokeyman or any other aspiring indie devs who can't afford a designer early on:

http://paletton.com/#uid=1000u0kllllaFw0g0qFqFg0w0aF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Hi all, good to be here again, the alternate theme is rad and I super appreciate that the new Awful v3.29 once more remembers the open thread after getting evicted from memory. Thanks, devs! Thevs.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Pictures show up as html code in leper's colon

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Thank you for the :ghost: app icon.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The link in Settings to this thread goes to the old, broken thread.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Zigmidge posted:

Please add an option to turn off announcements. Nobody cares about Lowtax's bullshit

I came in here to post this.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Do you think as a compromise we could remove the notification badge from the forums icon, and change the star color on the forum menu to that same red?

It's the nagging feeling I get from the notification that I need to do something that irks me. I'd be at peace with them showing up in the forum list if they were more distinguishable from the starred threads I think.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

spanky the dolphin posted:

Do you think as a compromise we could remove the notification badge from the forums icon, and change the star color on the forum menu to that same red?

It's the nagging feeling I get from the notification that I need to do something that irks me. I'd be at peace with them showing up in the forum list if they were more distinguishable from the starred threads I think.

:hai:👍

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
surprised we managed to get the frog icon in

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Thank you

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
New build on app store is mega janky and although feels snappier it also feels like the animations aren't totally there

THE RAGGY
Aug 17, 2014

Had no idea this existed until today, thank you for including a dark mode and saving my already lovely eyes

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I’d just like to say thank you for fixing the issue I had with the app not saving my post/page position when I was using other apps, it seems to work properly now!

The app is very good and useful for me, thank you for all the hard work.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any way to fix tweets not properly loading on a page? It usually works as it should, but on random pages I'll only get the text instead of the embed. Reloading the page usually doesn't help.

Also, in case this isn't a known issue: sometimes when making a post, the preview screen won't let me post, instead leading to another preview screen (and then another). Canceling out resolves the issue (allowing me to post what was previewed).

This happened with this very message btw.

[iPhone SE]

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 21, 2017

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

anthonypants posted:

When I swipe from a thread back into my bookmarks, is it supposed to bring the bookmarks in at a slight diagonal? I'm pretty sure it used to be flat horizontal. iPhone 6s, iOS 11.1 public beta 3, Awful 3.28

I think this is an iOS 11 change? The table scrolls up along with the usual horizontal animation.

got any sevens posted:

Pictures show up as html code in leper's colon

Yeah :( someday I'll get to it.

anthonypants posted:

The link in Settings to this thread goes to the old, broken thread.

Version 3.29 should point here. Did we screw this up?

spanky the dolphin posted:

I'll add a setting. There's a boring explanation at the bottom of this post about why I've been a stick in the mud, nobody should feel obligated to read it though :)

And I'm on board with better distinguishing announcements from threads (did I already say this?), current appearance was me being lazy.

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

surprised we managed to get the frog icon in

:same: but that version sailed through app review without a peep.

Malcolm XML posted:

New build on app store is mega janky and although feels snappier it also feels like the animations aren't totally there

Any specific complaints? I agree with you but if something bugs you a lot I can look at it first.

Rinkles posted:

Any way to fix tweets not properly loading on a page? It usually works as it should, but on random pages I'll only get the text instead of the embed. Reloading the page usually doesn't help.

Probably not much you or we can do. We just copy/pasted twitter.js and it does what it does. Though we probably haven't updated that .js in awhile so maybe there's a bug they've fixed.

quote:

Also, in case this isn't a known issue: sometimes when making a post, the preview screen won't let me post, instead leading to another preview screen (and then another). Canceling out resolves the issue (allowing me to post what was previewed).

[iPhone SE]

First I've heard of it, thanks for bringing it up. I was mucking around a bit in this area of the app but never noticed it. I'll keep an eye out.

Boring announcement badge setting explanation:

Personally I like the badge because there were genuinely relevant announcements that I wish I had seen, but I missed them because I didn't go on the website for days/weeks, and I almost never go to the Forums tab so without the badge I'd still miss them.

Nobody cares, but here's why it took me so long to come around to adding a setting. My primary goal when implementing a feature that the website already does is "do it like the website, but better for a phone/iPad". I try to avoid filtering things out even if I personally find them distasteful, so "Lowtax is making more frequent announcements about less interesting things" is not a great reason to change the app. The biggest compromise here, which continually bugs me, is relegating custom titles to user profiles. We just couldn't figure out how to fit them in on a phone screen without a terrible reading experience. If we could implement custom titles at any level above "terrible", I'd do it today.

What I didn't notice about announcements is that when your main entry point to the website is directly visiting bookmarkthreads.php (this is me) or usercp.php, you never see announcements on the website. So by my logic it's ok for the app to do this too. That's what turned me around.

The principle underlying all of this (I know, nobody cares) stems from years back when Jeff Atwood drove by these parts ostensibly to learn how communities like these forums have lasted for so long. They largely ignored the feedback and did what they wanted to do anyway, but the ensuing discussion showed me that places like this are the sum of many decisions, conscious and unconscious, good and bad, and loving with that can change a community in surprising ways. This is true for everything from how moderators behave, to whether discussions are threaded or flat, even down to how Forums-wide announcements are presented. I want the app to have as little effect on the community as possible (the sole exception being "people get more involved more often because there's a decent app"). I was mortified all summer when people on the iOS 11 beta quoted posts and the smart quotes garbled the BBcode, because you could tell that the poster was using Awful.app and that's exactly what I don't want.

I'm not trying to argue that this way of thinking is particularly correct, but it's how I approach the project.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

pokeyman posted:

Version 3.29 should point here. Did we screw this up?

It links correctly, for me.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, it works for me now too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Would it be possible for embedded tweets to open in twitter when pressed rather than in Safari? Or is that out of your hands?

E:My bad they apparently already do. Maybe I accidentally flipped the setting when scrolling.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 22, 2017

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

pokeyman posted:

Nobody cares, but here's why it took me so long to come around to adding a setting. My primary goal when implementing a feature that the website already does is "do it like the website, but better for a phone/iPad". I try to avoid filtering things out even if I personally find them distasteful, so "Lowtax is making more frequent announcements about less interesting things" is not a great reason to change the app. The biggest compromise here, which continually bugs me, is relegating custom titles to user profiles. We just couldn't figure out how to fit them in on a phone screen without a terrible reading experience. If we could implement custom titles at any level above "terrible", I'd do it today.

Hey this got me thinking and I threw some mockups together:

original pokeyman 2017

modification

And for a custom title from further upthread that's slightly more involved, including one of the Underwhelming Donation Awards! (does not include Mad Wack's avatar's gif animation since this was from a static screenshot!):
original Mad Wack 2017

original modification, do not steal

Basically my idea is to have a separate hidden pane that contains the full 150x150 avatar plus the full custom title. When you tap on the user's reduced 128x128 avatar or username at the top of their post, in addition to the current "Profile, Their Posts, Rap Sheet" popup appearing, the username would also slide over to make room as the hidden pane fades in (or with some fancier animation than just fading in, e.g. the 128x128 avatar gets magnified into the full 150x150 size and the rest of the pane fades in + grows from the small avatar's borders). The pane would presumably cover up the top right corner of the post, but the current popup also does that a little, and likewise it would hide when you tap outside of the popup or pane. I'm imagining this as a very quick and low-impact operation, in contrast to hitting the "Profile" button which is a bit more heavyweight. (By "heavyweight" I mostly mean that you can only dismiss the Profile pane by tapping the "Done" button in the top left corner, which takes a few extra maneuvers when browsing Awful one-handedly. Maybe some kind of gesture shortcut to dismiss the profile pane would help here regardless.)

As the Ideas Guy™ for this, please note that I am owed 50% of any revenue accrued from this Idea.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

pokeyman posted:

I'm not trying to argue that this way of thinking is particularly correct, but it's how I approach the project.

I think it's a good way to approach the forums honestly and I get where you're coming from.

Grace Baiting posted:

As the Ideas Guy™ for this, please note that I am owed 50% of any revenue accrued from this Idea.

Adding to that a bit, here's a mock up of how I could see it working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqSc06_5mZY

I've thought for a while that it'd be good for the background to blur / fade / both when a button's triggered and the icons come up since sometimes I hit a button and don't realised they've popped up.

Also maybe the 'Joined 08/10/2004' bit under the usernames could be switched to how it displays in the desktop forums - 'Oct 08, 2004' and given a bit more spacing below the username. It's a bit more compact that way and cleaner.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 22, 2017

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Maybe 3D Touch on a profile picture could open a profile preview, like threads in the thread lists?

Also I’m getting a thing where pictures sometimes disappear when their top goes off the screen, even if the rest should be visible. Over-aggressive optimisation?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Please add an option to turn off auto timg

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ughghghg what is going on with these stupid OK buttons I thought I fixed this.

iajanus posted:

Putting airplane mode on kicked me off my wifi network but not Bluetooth

e: also wtf this is what I got when trying to upload the image cropped...

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rinkles posted:

[iPhone SE]

I'm also having this issue with the newest version. To elaborate further, what happens now is that hitting "preview" puts you on the preview screen, but the button in the top-right says "preview" and hitting it slides the screen to the right but gives you the exact same screen (that is, it says "preview" and acts like a preview button). Hitting cancel on the preview screen and then the post icon again (ie, from the thread view) loads the preview screen back up (not the compose post screen, but I'm not sure which of the two screens (compose post and preview) is the intended behavior is for canceling out of the preview screen then hitting the post icon again), but now the top-right button is "post" and submits the post.

The same behavior happens on editing. Hit edit, type your edit, hit preview (go to a preview screen that will take you to an endless series of preview screens), cancel out, hit post again, hit save.

iPhone 6.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Has anyone else experienced constant imgur upload failures since the ios 11 upgrade? Is this related to HEIF? I haven’t tried switching back to JPEG because I like all the improvements the new format brings. That’s my guess since it only seems to fail on photos and not on screenshots like this one.

Also of note are the double OK buttons :)

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's close to the end of the month so maybe we've reached our collective image upload limit again.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Only Shallow posted:

Also of note are the double OK buttons :)

I'm starting to think Apple fixed a bug in a point release. Might be time to back that fix out. What iOS are you on?

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

carry on then posted:

I'm starting to think Apple fixed a bug in a point release. Might be time to back that fix out. What iOS are you on?

11.0.3 (15A432) on an iPhone 7

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So with the new update it has logged me out and I can not log back in at all. SE on 10.1.1

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Djarum posted:

So with the new update it has logged me out and I can not log back in at all. SE on 10.1.1

This is a feature, not a bug. #WONTFIX

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Still having the bug where if you open the window to edit a post, then back out and instead open a new post, that new post instead edits whatever you post you opened first

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I think thats by design so you can quote multiple posts without doing huge copy pastes

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Huh weird. I also can't login, on android

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Regular Nintendo posted:

I think thats by design so you can quote multiple posts without doing huge copy pastes

That's fine for quoting...but I'm talking about an error with editing. I went in to edit a post, changed my mind, backed out, and made a new post instead. The new post overwrote the post I had jumped in to edit and no new post was actually made in the thread.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Gimbal lock posted:

Huh weird. I also can't login, on android

Having the same problem on android. Worked fine up until about 6 hours ago afaik

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If anybody actually does manage to log in to the iOS app on Android, please let us know.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’m guessing this is an iOS 11 bug but when I change the icon, it pops up a box saying I changed the icon, but does not actually change the icon. Hm.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
What version of iOS 11? I haven't had that problem with any of the betas.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm having trouble logging in on Android as well. Uninstalled, reinstalled, now I don't even get the forums list, just a "No forums data" screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
im having trouble on blackberry torch