Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Oh man, I don't think I've been that blindsided by an outcome in a while. In basically every regard. That was perfectly edited

I'm super sad about Alan leaving but dang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm okay with that outcome since Alan didn't really have much to offer besides being crazy. Still don't like Joe at all though. I hope Desi flips on him.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm okay with that outcome since Alan didn't really have much to offer besides being crazy. Still don't like Joe at all though. I hope Desi flips on him.

100% agree but also good on Alan for giving kudos in the final confessional rather than being a whiny little bitch about it

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I hope there is a gif of "This is not an advantage"

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

The Bloop posted:

100% agree but also good on Alan for giving kudos in the final confessional rather than being a whiny little bitch about it

he played for the Jacksonville Jaquars; he is used to losing

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I hope Joe goes out pre merge. He's like Tony with none of the likability.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blue squares posted:

he played for the Jacksonville Jaquars; he is used to losing

I live in Jacksonville.

You're not wrong.

Schlonged Again
Jan 30, 2016

We're now two-for-two on random chaos advantages that amount to nothing.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The only reason this one didn't matter is because of the idol. And the fake idol is still in play and cemented Ryan a surprisingly solid alliance with another smart player.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that worked out well for Ryan. He's got Ali and Chrissy seemed to fully buy into his spiel. Which I think is kind of gullible of Chrissy but good for Ryan.

Yeah, I don't mind Alan going that much since he seemed too paranoid to be a player but he went out with class and made largely logical moves today so who knows? I'm mostly sad Joe and Ryan won't live to crazy off another episode.

Cole. God drat. Jessica goes back and forth between being adorable and too much for me but it helps that Cole just totally screwed her over there to get the sympathy.

There were 2 to 3 people in that tribe swap I legit didn't recognize. I'm still not entirely convinced this Roarke lady didn't just show up.

And yeah, that challenge seemed cruel. "Ok, tons of manual labor that requires you all to cooperate and communicate while doing synchronized heavy lifting, then a potentially patience killing key search, and then a quasi rubix cube that again requires you to do coordinated heavy lifting. Have fun."

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The key too was something that was both pretty much luck and also the one part of the challenge where you could point at one person to blame it went poorly.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zerilan posted:

The key too was something that was both pretty much luck and also the one part of the challenge where you could point at one person to blame it went poorly.

Still less random than tribe swap. Choosing what part of the challenge to volunteer for is completely strategic. You could easily be a hero or a goat.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Schlonged Again posted:

We're now two-for-two on random chaos advantages that amount to nothing.

What? If it wasn't for the idol it would have come down to either Desi/Ashley forced to vote out Devon or the three of them drawing rocks.

This season desperately needed the tribe swap. First good episode so far.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Nice of Cole to show us how to blow up your own game

AdmiralViscen posted:

I hope there is a gif of "This is not an advantage"

The :geno: in that statement was beautiful

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Shneak posted:

What? If it wasn't for the idol it would have come down to either Desi/Ashley forced to vote out Devon or the three of them drawing rocks.

I'm pretty sure in a tiebreak you can only vote for the people that tied

That was a good episode and I like that Joe apparently knew who Alan is

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Alan was becoming more likable with each episode so that outcome is a bit of a bummer. Really smooth play though by Jessica, as she flushed Joe's idol while also helping keep their numbers intact.

This season is growing on me.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"
After four episodes it seems like Cole and Jessica have had the most screentime, exposure and storyline development in total out of everyone on this season....and that's kind of crazy considering they're two of the four people who haven't actually been to tribal council this season (along with Dr. Mike and Roarke). Could mean anything, but worth keeping an eye on. Other than Tom and Ian from s10 I can't think of another pair who has so clearly been the focus of the first four episodes without going to TC.

Not sure it means that they will both fare well in the endgame, but I think it means something very interesting is going to happen regarding those two very soon. I could definitely see Jess turning on Cole and his loose lips sooner rather than later despite his emotional appeals.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Shneak posted:

Desi and Ashley have to vote for either Joe or Alan on a re-vote (since Joe/Alan/Devon all can't vote). If that's deadlocked and the tribe can't agree on who to ouster, then Desi/Ashley/Devon draw rocks.

What would have been hilarious would be if they both decided to flip on the re-vote because they're sick of their respective crazy partners and it ends up being a tie anyway.

Man, I thought Devon would be the dumb jock of the season... but nope, Cole is running far and away with the prize.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

ApplesandOranges posted:

Desi and Ashley have to vote for either Joe or Alan on a re-vote (since Joe/Alan/Devon all can't vote). If that's deadlocked and the tribe can't agree on who to ouster, then Desi/Ashley/Devon draw rocks.

What would have been hilarious would be if they both decided to flip on the re-vote because they're sick of their respective crazy partners and it ends up being a tie anyway.

Man, I thought Devon would be the dumb jock of the season... but nope, Cole is running far and away with the prize.

Devon is charming AF and I'm starting to hope he pulls a Fabio and wins this season.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
On the other end, Desi might be one of the most attractive women to have ever played Survivor. I know it's only been 12 days but her skin still looks flawless.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Vernacular posted:

Devon is charming AF and I'm starting to hope he pulls a Fabio and wins this season.

Devon is also deceptively smart. He seemed to know right away that Joe was feeding him poo poo, and argued for keeping Lauren over That Ginger Nutcase.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

On the other end, Desi might be one of the most attractive women to have ever played Survivor. I know it's only been 12 days but her skin still looks flawless.

I was wondering if she was getting "island hot" or if she's just retained her hotness.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't like that Joe is there but I like that Desi got spared.
If they lose another challenge she should flip on him immediately lol

her tribe was already preparing to bring the ax down on him. She can save herself without really burning any bridges, and who wants that guy as an ally for long anyway? There'll be a reshuffle or something soon anyway, they're not gonna have them compete as a three-person tribe

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that worked out well for Ryan. He's got Ali and Chrissy seemed to fully buy into his spiel. Which I think is kind of gullible of Chrissy but good for Ryan.
She was in a dangerous spot landing on that tribe, so enthusiastically locking in with Ryan (and by extension Ali) makes her almost fully safe.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

There were 2 to 3 people in that tribe swap I legit didn't recognize. I'm still not entirely convinced this Roarke lady didn't just show up.
This kind of follows up my last post about Chrissy/Ryan, but if they do team up and bring in Ali, and they see Alan is gone over on the other tribe, they'll really want to take out a healer (Roark) so she could just be edited invisibly because she's cannon fodder. She got a lot of hype preseason because she's in the "scene" like friends with Max Dawson or whatever bullshit, but they really have given us literally nothing of her so far.

bbf2 posted:

After four episodes it seems like Cole and Jessica have had the most screentime, exposure and storyline development in total out of everyone on this season....and that's kind of crazy considering they're two of the four people who haven't actually been to tribal council this season (along with Dr. Mike and Roarke). Could mean anything, but worth keeping an eye on. Other than Tom and Ian from s10 I can't think of another pair who has so clearly been the focus of the first four episodes without going to TC.
I think they get an automatic screentime bump by having a romantic spark between them. Chrissy and to a lesser extent Ben/Ryan are the one I see getting the most love from the editors so far.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Spergatory posted:

Devon is also deceptively smart. He seemed to know right away that Joe was feeding him poo poo, and argued for keeping Lauren over That Ginger Nutcase.

I don't know that identifying Joe and Patrick as idiots is really that telling, but I do like Devon so far.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

bbf2 posted:

Not sure it means that they will both fare well in the endgame, but I think it means something very interesting is going to happen regarding those two very soon. I could definitely see Jess turning on Cole and his loose lips sooner rather than later despite his emotional appeals.

They're definitely the most interesting pair in the game thus far, imo. I thought they were likable even when they were just pretty people crushing on one another, but seeing their dynamic evolve into "Cole is an idiot who tells everyone everything and Jessica becomes increasingly aware of how it jeopardizes her game" has been a pleasant surprise

The raft scene where Cole acts dumbfounded about how Lauren found out about Jessica's advantage, then there's an extended silence, then he says "I told Ben..." is maybe my favorite of the season

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

She was in a dangerous spot landing on that tribe, so enthusiastically locking in with Ryan (and by extension Ali) makes her almost fully safe.

Yeah, its only a bad move for Chrissy if she's blind to the possibility that Ryan might be just opportunistically playing her. But you're absolutely right that right now its in Chrissy's interest to go along with it and assure her safety. If its an issue it will be down the line.

Fast Luck posted:

I think they get an automatic screentime bump by having a romantic spark between them. Chrissy and to a lesser extent Ben/Ryan are the one I see getting the most love from the editors so far.

Yeah. They're pretty, they have a complicated but sweet flirtmance going, they both got super powers they shared with each other, and Cole is a moron who keeps doing really stupid things. Its not too much of a mystery why they've been getting TV time. As you said, the other showmance got screentime too but they seemed to back off once Alan called them out and they don't have a bunch of secret powers and aren't adorably stupid.

And yeah, the "Jessica-likes-Cole-but-is-quickly-learning-he's-going-to-gently caress-up-her-game" story is actually kind of the only interesting storyline this season has going right now.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cole didn't have a super power, he just knew about Joe's idol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

He even hosed that up, arguably. I probably would have pretended to be stumped and helped him look in all the wrong places then got it myself.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

IcePhoenix posted:

True. I was just being overly brief and poorly inaccurate.

"Both had crucial information about meaningful powers in the game that they shared with each other and caused some drama in their usage and delineation."

And amusingly neither of them ending up mattering to their immediate game at all except to cause drama between the happy couple.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Stop 👏 loving 👏 with 👏 the 👏 vote 👏 2017

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

bbf2 posted:

I could definitely see Jess turning on Cole and his loose lips sooner rather than later despite his emotional appeals.

It would be dumb of Jessica to trust Cole again, but maybe smart to pretend to. He might even believe it. Hopefully it won't be a situation where Jessica feels like she's kind of stuck with Cole just because they were friends in the beginning and on the same original team, so annoying when that happens. I like it when people manage to make new connections later in the season, I think this happened with Adam and Ken in the past?

STAC Goat posted:

I had this same problem, of course. I remembered the name Roark but definitely not her face. The swap came far too early for me and I am so confused about what original tribe has what amount of numbers on what new team. Ugh.

Fast Luck posted:

Does Chrissy still have that now-worthless idol? It would have been hilarious at some point she would show it to someone pretending that she has immunity but it would backfire because Ryan would recognize it. But I'm enjoying this alliance, and maybe they can still use that idol.

Also, this was posted (I guess accidentally, due to it being active) in the previous Survivor thread:

I know Joe said he's deliberately being ruthless, but is he also trying to be a villain? I don't know if it's editing or what but I sure don't believe that he predicted their vote based on having somehow "read" Ashley. It's easy for him to claim that after the votes are already read, and that sexist, patronizing addition was just unnecessary. He was going to play it for himself anyway (and would have been stupid not to).

At least it's flushed.

Fedelm fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 20, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm pretty sure Joe's just an rear end.

Fedelm posted:

It would be dumb of Jessica to trust Cole again, but maybe smart to pretend to. He might even believe it. Hopefully it won't be a situation where Jessica feels like she's kind of stuck with Cole just because they were friends in the beginning and on the same original team, so annoying when that happens. I like it when people manage to make new connections later in the season, I think this happened with Adam and Ken in the past?
Jessica has a genuine problem with Cole right now because like, he didn't MEAN to betray her. He probably would never actively betray her. He's on paper a good ally and she should keep him. But its kind of hard to trust him with any information of any kind or any independence. Its hard to babysit an ally in the game, especially when its going to make you a target.

Fedelm posted:

Does Chrissy still have that now-worthless idol? It would have been hilarious at some point she would show it to someone pretending that she has immunity but it would backfire because Ryan would recognize it. But I'm enjoying this alliance, and maybe they can still use that idol.
Yeah, she still has it and previously mentioned possibly using it as a decoy. That's another reason she probably has to work with Ryan. If she ever pulls that play she'll need him as part of it so she doesn't blow her story.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Not that I disagree that Joe was using it on himself regardless, but Ashley may as well have been holding up an "I voted for Joe" sign for anyone looking for a tell.

The funny thing is that (I think?) once he used the idol he and Desi were safe regardless since if it goes to rocks the people that were tied and anyone with immunity don't have to draw, meaning Ashley and Devon would have been the only ones drawing. I do not think Joe thought that far ahead either, though.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Yeah, Devon announcing his blocked vote happened so quickly that I don't think any of them had time to think through all of the weird unexpected anomalies that would show up from a 2-2 split that nobody thought was going to be a possibility.

Also, I wonder how Devon's vote would have worked with respect to a re-vote and a unanimous consensus before rock drawing. Presumably he still doesn't vote on the re-vote since otherwise the advantage is pointless (even though Stephen said that his vote steal in Cambodia only worked on the first vote and not a re-vote), but I wonder if he would have a say in whether or not to draw rocks or unanimously vote someone out.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Vernacular posted:

Devon seems pretty savvy - I wouldn't compare him to Fabio at all. I would say he compares more to the Hayden Moss/Jay Starrett mold of players.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

IcePhoenix posted:

Not that I disagree that Joe was using it on himself regardless, but Ashley may as well have been holding up an "I voted for Joe" sign for anyone looking for a tell.

The funny thing is that (I think?) once he used the idol he and Desi were safe regardless since if it goes to rocks the people that were tied and anyone with immunity don't have to draw, meaning Ashley and Devon would have been the only ones drawing. I do not think Joe thought that far ahead either, though.

Only because of the vote block on Devon. If it wasn't for that he'd have to read the room/flip a coin.

So somehow Jessica made the best move to help the Healers. I mean it would probably have shaken out the same way if she'd blocked Alan or Ashley, but maybe Devon would have jumped ship once he realized it'd be 2-2.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Oct 20, 2017

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I'm just happy that there have been no three-minute long whisper sessions at tribal council yet this season.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Fedelm posted:

She does, and if she and Ryan are on the same page, it seems like there's some potential for them to orchestrate some havoc with that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Mighty Moltres posted:

I'm just happy that there have been no three-minute long whisper sessions at tribal council yet this season.

That was indeed dumb and annoying

• Locked thread