Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The_Groove posted:

can't spell morons without moons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Scruffpuff posted:

Star Wars Galaxies did a remarkable job of it well over 12 years ago. If you had one of the larger ships you could leave the pilot's seat, have others on board who could man turrets, etc. If you had a cruise ship there was actually an observation deck where you could watch other players in their own ships battling through asteroid fields etc.

Since a fully fleshed out game that already had nearly everything Chris Roberts is promising, and the Star Wars IP behind it to boot, was a financial loss in the first year, and a constant drain on a company Sony's size every year it was in operation, then it stands to reason that an unknown hack IP from a washed-up has-been with a non-functioning engine and no overarcing game design should be a going concern indefinitely for a company that's never delivered a game and has no other income stream to rely on.

Boy howdy did they give all that crap they were pitching in SWG a good shot. The fact that there was a mayor skill tree with player cities is, in itself, impressive to me still.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

So you're saying there's a chance? Shut up and take my money!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

I still have to put Tie Fighter Collectors CD ahead of FS2. FS2 had the better graphics being basically a generation of tech later, but I played far more Of the swing series. Now the fs2open project has kept the development of the engine relatively up to date with things like diaspora. But multiplayer aspects and netcode haven't kept pace. Takes a lot of tech know how to get it to work.

TIE Fighter is wonderful, too. It's up there as one of the best. But FS2 is still the gold standard for things like capital ship brawls, beam weapons, and intriguing storytelling.

I'd also put X-Wing Alliance has a pretty strong contender, too. Beyond Wing Commander at least. But much like FS2, XWA came out when the genre had been decided to be 'dead' by a lot of people.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dusty Lens posted:

Pirhana games tried back in 2014. Didn't go too well. RIP Transverse, even the furry market edge wasn't enough to bring you over the finish line.

I think it was more the “for $1 million, we’ll add in space combat lol!” that killed it more than anything.

They made basic functionality stretch goals, instead of just promise the galaxy and everything in it on day zero.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

kilus aof posted:

CIG are sharpening their whale harpoons.

When your strongest art is your space ships, it’s probably not a good idea to make them a block of blackness with a ? on it and instead feature most likely Archered scenery.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

PGI failed on the first step, which is to leverage your credibility and nostalgia to establish the baseline demand. AC and Elite both used fond memories of previous franchises coupled with the celebrity of their creators to get the initial spark of interest. PGI leveraged their incredibly lovely reputation and failure to deliver on MWO to ram themselves into an already saturated market.

But in an ironic twist of possibility, if people backed Transverse, they’d probably be playing it by now and it’d likely be “ok”.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Viscous Soda posted:

A bug that allows the beta testers to actually use all the ships in the testing? Can't have that, priority fix!

This is the best. :allears:

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe
my first exposure to star citizen was someone linking me the goon fleet spreadsheet and lolling that goons put 300k in.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

BloodyScab posted:

my first exposure to star citizen was someone linking me the goon fleet spreadsheet and lolling that goons put 300k in.

The koolaid was fresh back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm1CQ5IDo6Q

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

D_Smart posted:

This was PERFECT timing! I was already writing an article about their MMO bullshit. Then I saw this post - and used it.

BREAKING! CIG dev confirms Star Citizen may NEVER be an MMO. I wrote about it

I’ve been calling this one for like over a year. They’ve never built anything, or implied that they are building, anything beyond a low player count arena shooter.

I knew I should have blogged about it. Now I’ll never be able to loving finish. :doh:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I hope this gets to 200 million before the announcement that they're giving up. "The story behind the 200 million dollar crowdfunding flop" sounds much better than 160 million when added as a tagline to the upcoming books and documentaries.

This trainwreck will plow through 250M.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Can Star Citizen Persistance Universe handle 10.000.000+ Players?

YES IT WILL!

Why?

They choose the right strategy. Even if it causes us waiting painfully!

To realize this ambitious game vision of CR and the bakers, you need a smart approach. Develope a game with 1.8 Mio bakers instead of a puplisher and investor is a great opportunity but also a huge challenge. You need to split down big engineering problems to manageable tasks. You need to give your “publisher/investor” (the bakers) constantly something they can put their hands on. Something what is not the final game but something they can feedback on. Because same way as a publisher/investor, bakers want to experience the progress of development. But they are not experts in game development like a publisher/investor would be, they are consumers and evaluate “demos” (aka progress on development) like a consumer. This can cause misunderstandings through even a wrong word or a explanation in a nutshell.

According to this, CIG will have to deliver fully playable demos for a huge audience. That means a slow down in development progress in same time as it means a big push forward in quality of the final game.

To accomplish a first person univers in AAA quality game you will need transfer a lot of data efficiently around the globe. To achieve this CIG choosed the right engine (lumberyard) with the right partners (AWS, Intel...) and developed ground breaking tec (serialized variables, zone system, object container streaming, mega map, item system 2.0, SolarSystemEditor,...) and hired the right people to build a good network of studios around the globe. All this is strategically outlined to a long time envolving and increasing MMO never seen before.

Some Forum /Spectrum Threads bashing on actual player limits of 24-30 on a server. But with above mentioned tec, there is no thinking in traditional server/client architecture anymore.

The huge star citizen gameworld will be split into uncountable zones and object containers to achieve a dynamically scaleable system, where a (hardware) server can either handle a moon or just a 10 by 10 meter space on a landing pad at area 18, depending how many assets has to been managed realtime in this zone or object container.

Here are some vids on this core tec.

All the nervous bakers out there, please be calm and give the game the time it needs. It’s notizable realization will increase speed very soon.

All the SQ42 lovers (me included as a wing commander and privateer lover), all this will pay out for the single player experience very soon.

Please watch this vids carefully first, instead of posting “upcoming scandals“ and “useless big orgs because of less server capacity”! There is nothing to win but a lot to loose with such posts!

And by the way, as a investor (baker) of the game: i did not want CIG to exploit to much detail on how exactly they did it. Because that will enhance competitors to use the tec i invested in for theirs business.

See you in the Verse.

Cheers,

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/can-star-citizen-persistance-universe-handle-10-00

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
The cool thing is, almost everything CIG has ever said has been a lie, or at least said with zero confidence.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
I dont understand what those 5 presentations are gonna show. Its basically meant to be the meat of the whole con and it just sounds like handwaving.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

The Titanic posted:

It’d be best to not google him too much. There are things out there that will disgust you enough that even talking about him will make you feel icky.

Oh I've seen the posts here about his racism/misogyny and creepy stalking; believe me, I have no intention on digging any deeper. No need to purposefully seek out something that's going to make me feel queasy and gross.

Milky Moor posted:

TIE Fighter is wonderful, too. It's up there as one of the best. But FS2 is still the gold standard for things like capital ship brawls, beam weapons, and intriguing storytelling.

I'd also put X-Wing Alliance has a pretty strong contender, too. Beyond Wing Commander at least. But much like FS2, XWA came out when the genre had been decided to be 'dead' by a lot of people.

Mmm, that beam sound effect... I still get a chill down my spine when I hear it. Nothing sent you into a blind panic like hearing a beam - friendly or enemy - charging up mere meters from your frail little ship. The really high pitched one was the one I liked most. Also for a bunch of talking heads the acting was top-notch, you really felt like you were fighting against an implacable foe.

XWA was also bittersweet for me as it was the last great Star Wars space game before the end. It wasn't quite as good as TIE Fighter (among a few other things, I always preferred the drawn cockpits to the virtual cockpit), but still an amazing game.

:sigh: good times...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Colostomy Bag posted:

To be honest I might be an oddball, but what the hell was the attraction to santaball besides Ender's Game? The zero-G poo poo or something else? In short, what was the selling point of that abortion?

It was to show off their EVA mechanics when the big hot stuff was that scene in the faked demo of Star Marine where they were turning off gravity and debris was floating around and I think people were actually responding to force by being pushed back as they fired guns in zero g.

It’s been a while since this particular fiasco. This one even predates the whole “I hate when people ask about Star Marine..” etc etc. It was before anybody realized the Illfonic work was going to be trashed and everything they were shown turned out to be lies.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

gently caress it, I just bought a new joystick and I have the game on steam, I'm going to play through the XWA campaign again tomorrow, maybe even FS2 if I can dig up my old CDs.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Latin Pheonix posted:

Oh I've seen the posts here about his racism/misogyny and creepy stalking; believe me, I have no intention on digging any deeper. No need to purposefully seek out something that's going to make me feel queasy and gross.

Mmm, that beam sound effect... I still get a chill down my spine when I hear it. Nothing sent you into a blind panic like hearing a beam - friendly or enemy - charging up mere meters from your frail little ship. The really high pitched one was the one I liked most. Also for a bunch of talking heads the acting was top-notch, you really felt like you were fighting against an implacable foe.

XWA was also bittersweet for me as it was the last great Star Wars space game before the end. It wasn't quite as good as TIE Fighter (among a few other things, I always preferred the drawn cockpits to the virtual cockpit), but still an amazing game.

You'll want to turn down the volume on these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMa3LXe6oVc

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

You'll want to turn down the volume on these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMa3LXe6oVc

There, Shivan beam at 1:47! That's the one that'll put the fear of god in you! :getin:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Pretty much every space game ever has been dumb boring poo poo. Hope that solves a lot of issues within this thread.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
I can't think of any games that have aged more poorly than space games.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

MilesK posted:

Can Star Citizen Persistance Universe handle 10.000.000+ Players?

YES IT WILL!

Why?

They choose the right strategy. Even if it causes us waiting painfully!

To realize this ambitious game vision of CR and the bakers, you need a smart approach. Develope a game with 1.8 Mio bakers instead of a puplisher and investor is a great opportunity but also a huge challenge. You need to split down big engineering problems to manageable tasks. You need to give your “publisher/investor” (the bakers) constantly something they can put their hands on. Something what is not the final game but something they can feedback on. Because same way as a publisher/investor, bakers want to experience the progress of development. But they are not experts in game development like a publisher/investor would be, they are consumers and evaluate “demos” (aka progress on development) like a consumer. This can cause misunderstandings through even a wrong word or a explanation in a nutshell.

According to this, CIG will have to deliver fully playable demos for a huge audience. That means a slow down in development progress in same time as it means a big push forward in quality of the final game.

To accomplish a first person univers in AAA quality game you will need transfer a lot of data efficiently around the globe. To achieve this CIG choosed the right engine (lumberyard) with the right partners (AWS, Intel...) and developed ground breaking tec (serialized variables, zone system, object container streaming, mega map, item system 2.0, SolarSystemEditor,...) and hired the right people to build a good network of studios around the globe. All this is strategically outlined to a long time envolving and increasing MMO never seen before.

Some Forum /Spectrum Threads bashing on actual player limits of 24-30 on a server. But with above mentioned tec, there is no thinking in traditional server/client architecture anymore.

The huge star citizen gameworld will be split into uncountable zones and object containers to achieve a dynamically scaleable system, where a (hardware) server can either handle a moon or just a 10 by 10 meter space on a landing pad at area 18, depending how many assets has to been managed realtime in this zone or object container.

Here are some vids on this core tec.

All the nervous bakers out there, please be calm and give the game the time it needs. It’s notizable realization will increase speed very soon.

All the SQ42 lovers (me included as a wing commander and privateer lover), all this will pay out for the single player experience very soon.

Please watch this vids carefully first, instead of posting “upcoming scandals“ and “useless big orgs because of less server capacity”! There is nothing to win but a lot to loose with such posts!

And by the way, as a investor (baker) of the game: i did not want CIG to exploit to much detail on how exactly they did it. Because that will enhance competitors to use the tec i invested in for theirs business.

See you in the Verse.

Cheers,

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/can-star-citizen-persistance-universe-handle-10-00

How is this so simple? Easy. Mesh tech and cloud computing.

Thank you, Chris Roberts, for outlining it all and developing it out. No doubt you and your crack team of college kids will invent a better internet communication system.

Right after you figure out how to get doors working in a video game engine.

So I guess really we should outline the new tech they will make:

1: AI indistinguishable from humans, and millions of them populating a living galaxy

2: Networking technology that allows fleet actions for thousand of players in the same instance

3: Doors that open

4: Ramps you can walk and drive on without dying

Even if CIG gets half of these, it’ll be a miracle for the world in general and game technology will be forever improved!!!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Latin Pheonix posted:

XWA felt like a perfection of the X-Wing series formula. TIE Fighter was still a better game but XWA had great missions (I adore the slow civilian life prologue) and a huge ship library, a skirmish generator and so on. It was really quite good but it was still very much in TIE's shadow.

Latin Pheonix posted:

There, Shivan beam at 1:47! That's the one that'll put the fear of god in you! :getin:

I kind of think the SGreen sounds like the meanest one, which is bizarre because it's absolutely the least worrying and typically on clunker ships like the Fenris.

There's this FS2 mod, Blue Planet, that includes voice acting. There's a few lines that play as ships are being carved apart by beams, so, the audio post-production includes the sounds of beams cutting through the hull and it's just a great touch.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Blue On Blue posted:

I'm surprised they didn't have a special ship sale to time with the world wide theatrical release of the falls new hit movie American Satan

Speaking of which, I was driving north for something else later this week and thought, "gently caress, maybe I could go over to Methuen and see as much as I can stand of American Satan," but it is gone as of tomorrow. Replaced by Boo 2: A Madea Halloween.

Methuen's population is 1% Black. But nonetheless they thought the latest Madea joint would outsell American Satan.

Edit to add: It seems to be playing nowhere in New England, not even in Rhode Island, home state of Olivia Culpo, one of the movie's actual stars. :sandance:

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 19, 2017

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I love star citizen and - Moons

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

thatguy posted:

I can't think of any games that have aged more poorly than space games.

There is that time where polygons became a thing. Where the Alone in the Darks and Echelons emerged and pixel art was getting near perfect. That shift between beautiful 2D and stunningly horrid 3D is that niche of terrible graphics. It was like one step forward, and 200 backwards.

Space games were a great thing because polygons were expensive for a computer to render, so much of the screen is black or something, and only a ship or two needed to be rendered to screen.

Even today, not all 3D games look great. It’s still bordering that lovely look that it suffers from for the most part, and the overuse of poser models everywhere.

And I know you’re asking, “But The Titanic, what do graphics look like today in modern released space games versus older games from this bygone era you speak so fondly of?”

And I’m glad you ask, because we’ve had a hell of a lot of improvements over the last 20 years or so.

For example, old and broken:

New and awesome:

If this isn’t enough to convince you that space games are making a huge comeback, I don’t know what to tell you. But I hope you like space. And fidelity. Or at least have a cat named Fidelity.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

Speaking of which, I was driving north for something else later this week and thought, "gently caress, maybe I could go over to Methuen and see as much as I can stand of American Satan," but it is gone as of tomorrow. Replaced by Boo 2: A Madea Halloween.

Methuen's population is 1% Black. But nonetheless they thought the latest Madea joint would outsell American Satan.

Edit to add: It seems to be playing nowhere in New England, not even in Rhode Island, home state of Olivia Culpo, one of the movie's actual stars. :sandance:

Pretty sure that was their entire run... the only theater to have it in Toronto has no more show times as of tomorrow lol

It barely lasted a week in theaters

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Don't worry, I am going to see it tonight. The truth must be uncovered.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

trucutru posted:

There is always a small-subset of whales who will spend mad money if you manage to tickle their specific nerd needs (neerds). Worms, Enders Game, RTS games, Rape, Air traffic control, etc. You just cast your net wide and see what gets trapped, it's not like you're going to actually put any effort into it.

Falcon 4.0 had an AWACS mode for multiplayer. If people really believe that is interesting gameplay they should try it sometime...

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Lt_Tofu posted:

Don't worry, I am going to see it tonight. The truth must be uncovered.

God bless you, I hope you're drunk

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

American Satan has made $132,000 at the box office since its release last weekend. Enjoy.

e: for context: http://www.the-numbers.com/movie/American-Satan#tab=summary

e2: thats more than three orders of magnitude smaller than Star Citizen, world's most expensive crowdfunding project.

e3: refarbulated the flaxoid megamongo flibflapwhatsajizzit

e4: moons

BeefThief fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 19, 2017

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

Is it the case that American Satan performed better than Transverse?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

peter gabriel posted:

There has to be a game for there to be a game changer imo

It's CHARGER, they made a game CHARGER, it's a typo.

You have to buy the RSI GAME CHARGER it's shaped like a spaceship, it charges your game up with fidelities

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

https://www.twitchcon.com/schedule/star-citizen-how-great-communities-make-great-games/

Jesus christ, it's 60 minutes of the worst community management team in the world, patting themselves on the back about how horrible a job they do/did

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Blue On Blue posted:

God bless you, I hope you're drunk

I wish, but I snuck in some sour octopi. There's six other losers in the theater with me. If the trailers are an indication of the quality of the film, this is going to to be rough.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lt_Tofu posted:

I wish, but I snuck in some sour octopi. There's six other losers in the theater with me. If the trailers are an indication of the quality of the film, this is going to to be rough.

Just remember even if Vic's mom moves like she's in an exorcist movie, this is not that kind of Satan film.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

trucutru posted:

That's the Pioneer, quite likely the "game changer" Ben was all excited about. It's probably going to be the ship you need to buy to setup outposts in planets. If so, it'll make millions.

So this is how they are going to milk the whales out of another ~$800 baby capital ship. Let's take the Polaris and turn the cynical cash grab dial up a notch.

:gary:

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

trucutru posted:

Just remember even if Vic's mom moves like she's in an exorcist movie, this is not that kind of Satan film.

I'm still trying to figure out who Vic is...10 minutes in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Two people just walked out.