Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Sagebrush posted:

Canada should buy Rafales or nothing

Canada in the interim is going to buy Australia's used F-18s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

How many of these are going to catch on fire mid-Atlantic ferry flight?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

joat mon posted:

You can go inside the one in Topeka.

And it's still full of equipment. The magnetron for the radar, is ~actually magnetic~. I've been in that one a bunch of times.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The last time a Canadian Liberal government bought used military equipment from a close Commonwealth ally, it was a bunch of second hand subs that hasn't gone well

Sounds like the Aussie F18s are slightly newer than most of the Candian models they'll be joining, but I also heard read that they have their own mountain of issues including more corrosion than expected. Which means, the Canadian Government will almost certainly go ahead with the deal and pat themselves on the back with all the money they save.

If they want to get in a pissing contest with Boeing, just buy something modern from the EU and get expedited delivery on them as part of the deal and can the F18 (and F35) deal altogether.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

The last time a Canadian Liberal government bought used military equipment from a close Commonwealth ally, it was a bunch of second hand subs that hasn't gone well

Sounds like the Aussie F18s are slightly newer than most of the Candian models they'll be joining, but I also heard read that they have their own mountain of issues including more corrosion than expected. Which means, the Canadian Government will almost certainly go ahead with the deal and pat themselves on the back with all the money they save.

If they want to get in a pissing contest with Boeing, just buy something modern from the EU and get expedited delivery on them as part of the deal and can the F18 (and F35) deal altogether.

This would be decisive action, obviously the last thing wanted

I think there would be some handwaving about a "real fighter competition" but how hard is that to set up

In any realistic assessment we're down to three and they are all European (hopefully down to two since I think the Eurofighter is a turd with canards)

Actually if anybody wants to explain why there would be political hesitation here, or why the DND apparatus for managing these things is still 50% understaffed, feel free

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I am sure we’ll still end up with F-35s but just have to pay more for them and get them after everyone else due to all the hemming and hawing.

Every cabinet minister involved currently (dnd, public works) will be high paid lockmart lobbyists by that time.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
Hanging out on a mountain above a Swiss airshow looks like fun:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=hSIYmBVCCNE

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I might have found peak noise thanks to the good ol' USSR :ussr:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DMtPg12phM

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MikeCrotch posted:

I suspected it would be this aircraft before I looked at it. And if it wasn't, this post would have been informing you that you were wrong.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The Tu-114 and the Connie/Super-Connie are the prettiest 4-engined planes ever made :colbert:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

MikeCrotch posted:

That's not a Thunderscreech! :fsmug:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The Tu-114 and the Connie/Super-Connie are the prettiest 4-engined planes ever made :colbert:

Da gently caress you say? This is just like 5 seconds of smashing links into a post as rebuttal.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
Eight props, each of the tips of which are breaking the sound barrier. Bears are loving loud.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've never heard a rainbow but I imagine they sound cool

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hustler looks stupid

Bone looks deformed from the side

Rainbow... Rainbow is ok. But it still isn't as pretty as the Connie!

E. I did say prettiest

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A Connie traced from a photo with a ruler. :ussr:

In Crimson Skies 2, The Bomb hits the Nation of Hollywood as you take a commanding grip of Howard Hughes' personal SAC.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Hustler looks stupid

Ban this sick filth.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrYenko posted:

Ban this sick filth.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

The Tu-114 is an elegant piece of Soviet Constructivist engineering.

The Constellation is a moderately attractive 1940s airliner.

The Super Connie is some kind of ghastly deformed flying whale dong.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

mlmp08 posted:

Da gently caress you say? This is just like 5 seconds of smashing links into a post as rebuttal.

Not only is the B-1 astoundingly beautiful, it looks like a cat.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hi!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I don't know if the Tu-114 is beautiful, per se, but it is seriously goddamn cool and I'm sad they only made a few of them.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
One thing people might've overlooked in that video - they had to use a secondary staircase to reach the airstair. They ran into the same issue when Khrushchev came to NYC - no ~bourgeois~ airstair could reach the door.

Other than that, it's not the authentic noise - if you look at the info beneath, it was dubbed in from an originally silent newsreel film. Probably because no microphone would've been able to pick up anything except the sound of demons.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I wonder if it was more unpleasant to fly in the Tu-114 or Tu-144.

Kebbins
Apr 9, 2017

BRAK LIVES MATTER

MikeCrotch posted:

Wouldn't the Tu-95 have sounded almost identical to the Tu-114?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Kebbins posted:

Wouldn't the Tu-95 have sounded almost identical to the Tu-114?

Yeah they’re the same iirc

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'd imagine the Tu-114 would've had more allotment for sound/vibration dampening since it wouldn't have to factor in a bombload. The interior space would've made it nicer to fly in - even if it was slower than the -144. The -114 could've probably made in one flight what it would've taken two for the -144, plus a lengthy refueling and maintenance check on the ground.

Also, there was only ever one fatal accident in a -114, and it was because someone hadn't properly cleared the runway of snow drifts. Someone left a snow drift high enough that it clipped the *wing* on that loving monster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tupolev_Tu-114#Accidents_and_incidents

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Oct 19, 2017

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

david_a posted:

I wonder if it was more unpleasant to fly in the Tu-114 or Tu-144.

The Tu-116.

Put some seats in the bomb bay of a standard Tu-95, cut some holes for windows, and call it a day.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

This article says 'The [Australian] Super Hornets were ordered in 2007 as an “interim air combat capability” when the F-35 suffered a series of delays'. So is Australia getting rid of the non-Super (Sub? no, don't mention 2nd-hand subs!) Hornets because they have the Super ones? If so maybe once Australia gets the F-35s, Canada can have the SHs as hand-me-downs too, as the article suggests the RAAF wants to get rid of the SHs too.

slidebite posted:

Sounds like the Aussie F18s are slightly newer than most of the Candian models they'll be joining, but I also heard read that they have their own mountain of issues including more corrosion than expected.

Yeah, I saw corrosion mentioned in some articles too. I would hate to imagine what would happen if someone put Hornets somewhere surrounded by salt water!!

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Buttcoin purse posted:

Yeah, I saw corrosion mentioned in some articles too. I would hate to imagine what would happen if someone put Hornets somewhere surrounded by salt water!!

Like, say, on an aircraft carrier? :v:

Or are we :thejoke:'ing here I can never tell anymore.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The Tu-114 probably is exactly as loud as the Tu-95 but the Tu-95 didn't fly to commercial airports

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'd love to fly on a Tu-114.

Its a B-52 without the extra engines visible.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Probably because no microphone would've been able to pick up anything except the sound of demons.

There are plenty of videos shot with sound of Bears at airshows. It really is one of those noises that's just unnerving, like the foghorns in Pacific Rim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKkyINrSWik

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
shameful discussion of 4-engine planes without posting a 747

like, name me another plane who's main job is to be a flying passenger bus that actually looks good and is good at its job. I'm not claiming it's the best looking 4-engine ever, but it deserves mention in any list :colbert:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
God’s perfect aircraft: the 707

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cowboy elvis posted:

God’s perfect aircraft: the 707

:911:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Psion posted:

shameful discussion of 4-engine planes without posting a 747

like, name me another plane who's main job is to be a flying passenger bus that actually looks good and is good at its job. I'm not claiming it's the best looking 4-engine ever, but it deserves mention in any list :colbert:

Pretend I posted a bunch of pictures of A380s with the hideous nose cropped out.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Psion posted:

like, name me another plane who's main job is to be a flying passenger bus that actually looks good and is good at its job.

:colbert:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Dash-7: because sometimes an helicopter just won't do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Considering where airline development went, it is a sort-of platonic ideal, isn't it?

The Il-86 looks very similar: