Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

FilthyImp posted:

I thought Flash S3 was an improvement on all the Hunter Zolomon bull from the previous season.

Granted, I'm sure watching it all in one go helped.

In the way that getting kicked in the face is an improvement on being kicked in the balls, sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Flash is great except when they try to lean into the drama. The cast all plays very well off each other when things are happy or even when they're heartfelt, Joe has some great Dad moments and everybody else can feel like they actually care about the people around them, but when they try to take that extra step into Hidden Secrets and Broken Trust and all the stuff that Arrow can play with pretty well I don't think a single character hasn't completely fallen flat on their face. Unfortunately S3 had a lot of that leaning after sticking a countdown timer over Iris's head.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The thing about Hidden Secrets and Broken Trust and Sordid Romantic Issues on TV shows is that...they're easy to produce. They're cheap. All you need is to get two of your actors standing in one room or another -- maybe at one point they're sitting down, maybe one of them leans against something periodically -- and have them make sad-sounding mouth noises for five minutes. And then one of them leaves the room. Maybe they're angry. Maybe they're not.

You don't need no CGI. No special costumes. Not a lot of staging. That's why this sort of thing, frankly, comprises the majority of most TV shows. Even more prestigious ones.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

That premiere was incredibly frenetic, and had no time to breath at all.

That said, Blackthorne knocked it out of the park.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I don't watch Legends because it's garbage but a guy in the TV thread seemed to think the premiere was insanely bad.

It's basically a dumping ground for the C list cast members from the other shows to have a blast and gently caress around. Almost nothing on the show truly seems serious and half the time the Legends are the ones loving everything up for the rest of the world.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

The thing about Hidden Secrets and Broken Trust and Sordid Romantic Issues on TV shows is that...they're easy to produce. They're cheap. All you need is to get two of your actors standing in one room or another -- maybe at one point they're sitting down, maybe one of them leans against something periodically -- and have them make sad-sounding mouth noises for five minutes. And then one of them leaves the room. Maybe they're angry. Maybe they're not.

You don't need no CGI. No special costumes. Not a lot of staging. That's why this sort of thing, frankly, comprises the majority of most TV shows. Even more prestigious ones.

Arrow used to ride a motorcycle. They really need to bring that back. Give everyone in the team a motorcycle. Then you can pad the running time with footage of them riding motorcycles. It'll be great

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 14, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
And if the bad guys also have motorcycles, then you can have every fight be two stages, first they fight on the motorcycles and then they have the regular fight in a warehouse.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Guy Goodbody posted:

And if the bad guys also have motorcycles, then you can have every fight be two stages, first they fight on the motorcycles and then they have the regular fight in a warehouse.

And then the bad guy becomes huge and Oliver has to summon his giant robot, Theapardon.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Imagine if every episode of Arrow replaced a scene where a character is sad with a scene like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOohlactCis

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Reporter: Our mayor is the Green Arrow! He's lied about keeping us safe for years and putting dangerous supercriminals in jail!
Citizen: :thunk:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Seriously though, in what world does "holy poo poo our mayor is the GREEN ARROW" not make you mayor until you're tired of it

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Chokes McGee posted:

Seriously though, in what world does "holy poo poo our mayor is the GREEN ARROW" not make you mayor until you're tired of it

Mayor "goes around shooting people" only plays well in some states. And that's if you use a gun.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
There’s an argument to be made for separation of powers. One or the other is fine, but being both is a bit much.

I can’t help but feel that the end game here is to get Quentin behind the mayor’s desk.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The Lord Bude posted:

There’s an argument to be made for separation of powers. One or the other is fine, but being both is a bit much.

I can’t help but feel that the end game here is to get Quentin behind the mayor’s desk.

I kind of think something will happen to reset the status quo ("this was digitally altered yup no need to check this story whatsoever I'm the mayor"), because otherwise basically everyone associated with Oliver gets investigated and outed and Arrow's pretty cognizant of plot points like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Maybe don’t take your hood off in public.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I know the Green Arrow eventually got cleared for the Prometheus stuff but did they ever say if he got his "legal vigilante" status reinstated?

Thinking about the identity stuff, it still kind of bugs me that anyone in the public would believe that the Arrow and Green Arrow are different people. Oliver made absolutely no changes to how her operates and his costume is almost identical.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

After binging through s5, I am sad they put Thea into a coma because she was definitely the best char last season next to Prometheus.

Chokes McGee posted:

Murder is bad!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Murder is bad!

In mass we had a state senator who did it, and he was in office until he died

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Chokes McGee posted:

The Arrow verse, duh :v:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They reduce Thea's appearances each season to save money. Thea's character is pretty much wrapped now, but they don't want to kill her because she's Oliver's last family member left.

But she's more expensive than a guest because she's been a regular since season 1. As far as excuses go coma is pretty good. You don't have any "Oliver really should call Thea for this" moments like we did last season.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
My understanding is that Willa Holland wanted to spend less time on the show.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

after ollie "stayed up all night" and "solved guns", coming up with legislation on it that everyone agreed with and was effective at decreasing gun violence, that for some reason he didn't describe and couldn't even announce while keeping a straight face. i can't wait to see what is in store for his political career

maybe he'll take a weekend and solve climate change, or racism, but in such a way that it doesn't actually stop or upset climate change denialists or racists in case there are any watching

Ither
Jan 30, 2010
So how many times has the Quiver been broken into now?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Ither posted:

Well, from what I remember Cisco DID help set up security...

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Aphrodite posted:

They reduce Thea's appearances each season to save money. Thea's character is pretty much wrapped now, but they don't want to kill her because she's Oliver's last family member left.

But she's more expensive than a guest because she's been a regular since season 1. As far as excuses go coma is pretty good. You don't have any "Oliver really should call Thea for this" moments like we did last season.

I think the creators have said that killing off Thea is one thing they won't do. That, and giving Felicity powers/a costume.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kjetting posted:

I think the creators have said that killing off Thea is one thing they won't do. That, and giving Felicity powers/a costume.

Yeah. Felicity showing up in costume for like five seconds during Doomworld on Legends and getting absolutely wrecked was their concession to that second point. Basically “there, Felicity got a costume, are you happy now?”

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

chaosbreather posted:

after ollie "stayed up all night" and "solved guns", coming up with legislation on it that everyone agreed with and was effective at decreasing gun violence, that for some reason he didn't describe and couldn't even announce while keeping a straight face. i can't wait to see what is in store for his political career

maybe he'll take a weekend and solve climate change, or racism, but in such a way that it doesn't actually stop or upset climate change denialists or racists in case there are any watching

It was bows, he gave everyone bows, you know this to be true in your heart.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Ither posted:

The goth hacker, Ray, Ollie. I might be missing a few.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Slade spent a good chunk of season 2 showing up at people's places to tell them how lame they were compared to him so that's gotta a few right there.

Also if you used to be Ra's al Ghul you get a key

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Carlosologist posted:

e: wait, did they bring back the maid from season 1?? that's a nice touch

I hope she's been on an island for five years learning the Alfred Pennyworth survival house servanting.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Looking back on it, it's kinda funny that the superhero who exclusively uses a bow & arrow managed to outlaw guns. He's got the deadliest weapon in the city!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/CW_Arrow/status/920711821849280513

Ollie namedropping peers in impromptu pressers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Until told otherwise, I choose to believe that on Earth-1 the Waynes were never killed and Bruce is just an ordinary businessman

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

X-O posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F1sYDdwpE0

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

howe_sam posted:

Until told otherwise, I choose to believe that on Earth-1 the Waynes were never killed and Bruce is just an ordinary businessman

Also somewhere Kal-L is enjoying a happy life with two kids and not even thinking about the inferior non-Kryptonians of some backwater planet.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

X-O posted:

Again, more signs that the DCEU is in deep poo poo going into Justice League. They've been fighting for the right just to even say the name Bruce Wayne on Arrow since day 1 and WB HQ has always told them no, their top tier heroes and villains were reserved for the movies.

If we actually see Bruce Wayne or god forbid even Batman in the Arrowverse, the DCEU is as good as :fork:'d.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

WB HQ has always told them no, their top tier heroes and villains were reserved for the movies.

That went out the window last year when Tiny Superman flew into our hearts. Honestly I'm fine if Bruce Wayne never shows up in the CWVerse. I'd much rather see what they could do with Kate Kane, or one of the Batgirls, preferably on Supergirl, because you've got to do the Bats/Supes team up, but I'm not picky

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

howe_sam posted:

That went out the window last year when Tiny Superman flew into our hearts. Honestly I'm fine if Bruce Wayne never shows up in the CWVerse. I'd much rather see what they could do with Kate Kane, or one of the Batgirls, preferably on Supergirl, because you've got to do the Bats/Supes team up, but I'm not picky

Yeah but if its Kate Kane they would add her to add drama to the Alex/maggie storyline, or it could be the thing that brings them together they were both engaged to Maggie and it ended poorly.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah but if its Kate Kane they would add her to add drama to the Alex/maggie storyline, or it could be the thing that brings them together they were both engaged to Maggie and it ended poorly.

Kate hews a bit too close to Lena, but adorable Babs Batgirl would be a great midpoint between Kara and Guardian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Again, more signs that the DCEU is in deep poo poo going into Justice League. They've been fighting for the right just to even say the name Bruce Wayne on Arrow since day 1 and WB HQ has always told them no, their top tier heroes and villains were reserved for the movies.

If we actually see Bruce Wayne or god forbid even Batman in the Arrowverse, the DCEU is as good as :fork:'d.

Well given how the thought process was "People will get too confused by characters with the same name" being the reason Arrow had to kill Deadpool maybe someone up high finally realized that anyone going to see a big blockbuster comic book movie is smart enough to know the difference between TV and movies.