Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Cyclops

Sarah whistled appreciatively "That's a better uniform than I was expecting. I was worried it would be some sort of ugly leather number that would make us all look like escapees from a fetish convention." she added as she grabbed the uniform Miss Wagner proffered and headed for the nearest changing room. She changed quickly and efficiently and gasped slightly as the uniform seemed to adjust itself to her form. It fit where it touched and it did seem durable enough to take at least some damage at least. Hers had also been delivered with her visor incredibly cautiously she shut her eyes and removed her glasses carefully before sliding the visor into place. Opening her eyes she took a moment to adjust the visor so it sat more comfortably and then turned and strode out of the changing room as she waited for the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Colossus

Piotr nodded over at Cyclops when she left her locker room, the sound of his headphones audible from... pretty far away. He pulled out one of his earbuds and nodded. "Hey..." he said, quietly. A brief pause. "New visor?"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Donna looked from room to room, wanting to make sure she found the one that was, specifically, hers before trying any of them. A uniform, huh? From what she saw it looked like a cross between a wetsuit and spandex tights. Whether they'd feel that way once equipped is another question. Then again, she hasn't worn either wetsuits or tights, so it's kind of a moot point. Regardless, flip through this box, put it on, and...

...Oh, it's...very much like she expected, although the material definitely feels tougher, if still breathable. Also more form-fitting than expected, which begs the question of whether they did more than just measure their height and weight during physicals, but that's neither here nor there. What's more was that it accounted for the webbing between each digit, as well as how much her legs could stretch, and the firm grip the gloves had. If she could have done training in this, oh, those old hi-scores would be demolished! She giggles a bit to herself at the thought before exiting the changing room.

"For all intents and purposes, this is actually pretty good! I mean, except if you wanted to do some kinda stealth thing, but I don't think subtlety is the point right now."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Magma

Adelina thanked Ms. Wagner and followed the others out. She was particularly grateful at the mention of personal changing rooms. The uniform might be meant to adapt to her powers, but all the same, she would rather have some privacy in case she burned her clothes completely off right after transforming. But hopefully the uniform would do all Professor Xavier asked for.

A uniform... something a student wears, but also a soldier. Strange that she should be more the latter so suddenly. And it did feel sudden, despite weeks and weeks of Danger Room training. When she got to her changing room and slipped on her new clothing, Adelina felt a rush of anxiety, fear, and yes, even anticipation. She wondered if she could say no, and if she even wanted to.

But she put all of her other concerns out of her head. Right now, time to see if this thing would survive her as Magma. She breathed heavily, dropping down the barrier she kept up to prevent the earth from filling her senses and demanding to have her other self come forth. The fire within her matched the volcanic flames within the world itself. She let her flesh and blood burn away, becoming living lava.

Only for a couple of seconds. Then she transformed back, hoping the uniform somehow survived.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
What Nocturne hadn't been able to explain was that each uniform, even as a basic prototype, aligned itself with the body at a molecular level. In essence, they became immune to the wearer's own mutant powers by becoming a sort of second skin. The snug fit was to ensure complete and total contact, to ensure that connection was made. No matter what your mutation was – becoming fire, steel, or anything else – the uniform would transform along with you as much as your hair or fingernails.

Each was also designed with the specifics of the wearer in mind, to subtly enhance their powers, or at least not hinder them. They also had an X-symbol on the upper chest, near the left shoulder, which acted as a communicator for field work. Prototypes or not, the aesthetic was very on theme already.

Over the weeks they'd been training, Professor Xavier had been very vocal and enthusiastic about what he believed the X-Men should be. First responders in situations that required a mutant presence, whether that was using your powers to deal with things that were beyond human control, or to put a stop to mutant hostilities. Xavier was an idealist, but he knew all too well the temptation of using power for personal gain. Not from working with mutants, but from being born into a wealthy family. Being a telepath surrounded by cut-throat old money for decades had given him remarkable insight into how callous and violent people could be.

But it had also given him an incredible level of empathy, from hearing and experiencing the thoughts and feelings of others less fortunate. It had left him unable to ignore the plight of others, and was one of the main reasons he had founded this school. Not just to assist those in need, but to give them the chance to do good themselves.

At the end of the black line was the hangar, subterranean but with a retractable roof, and large enough to comfortably house several aircraft. However, there was only one there at present. But what a magnificent thing it was! Mr. Valentine – Forge – called it the Blackbird, and the look was definitely inspired by the Lockheed SR-71. Only... bigger. No cramped single-person cockpits, but a roomy interior that could comfortably fit a dozen people and a car if necessary. What wasn't state-of-the-art was ahead of the curve by years, including total radar transparency, the ability to hover in place, and an entire list of other features.

It was also going to be what took the team from Westchester County, New York, all the way to the New Mexico desert in under an hour.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Marvel Girl

Showing up in her costume, Marvel Girl glances down at herself self-consciously every so often. "Could use a jacket or something to feel a little less..." She scratches her cheek. Well, being bullet-resistant would have to do. Mind, it didn't seem the mutants they were going up against used guns, nor was she eager to test it.

Looking over across the others, she adds, "Well, who's actually been in pilot training? That... wasn't one of my electives." Well, worse came to worse, there was always the possibility of telepathic flying lessons, but no need to jump to that.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Magma

"Don't look at me," Adelina replied. "The only hands-on training I've done outside of the Danger Room is advanced gardening and fencing." And besides, she thought to herself, the thought of being in the air didn't appeal at all. She felt much safer with the ground firmly beneath her feet. So hard to feel the earth from thousands of feet in the sky.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Cyclops

"I can fly it I think." Cyclops said doubtfully . Mr Valentine had had her practice a great deal in simulators and had told her she had a natural talent for flight, but she was acutely aware that she lacked actual flight hours in anything like this kind of jet and one wrong move at the speed it was maneuvering could be catastrophic. Still it was more experience than anyone else had and well a part of her was eager to try it. To prove herself. And the thought of zipping through the air, of controlling a plane that fast and that maneuverable well that'd be something wouldn't it.

"I can definitely fly it. Pilot training was my best elective." she said both feeling and sounding more confident. "Now are we gonna wait around all day or do we have a broadcast to interrupt"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marvel Girl

"We're waiting on you, hotshot.", Marvel Girl points out dryly to Cyclops.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"I have every confidence in you, Cyclops, and in all of you," said Professor Xavier, arriving behind them. A wheelchair made much less noise than footsteps on these metal floors, especially those belonging to Colossus, which echoed magnificently. "I have been assured that the Blackbird is not as intimidating as she first appears. Forge's mutation has gifted him with unique technical skills, and thankfully that does include the ability to make a... user-friendly interface, shall we say."

He manoeuvred himself around, nodding as he took in the sight of the team in their uniforms. "I hadn't thought the prototypes would see field testing, but since we have no other choice at the moment, I must admit... they have a certain charm. Of course, at this point the practical benefits are of far more importance."

Once in front of everyone, the professor in front of his class, he steepled his fingers together in the way he always did when addressing a serious topic. "Your advantages will be in superior numbers, and in superior tactics. You are unknown qualities to the three opponents you face, and if we are clever, we may be able to resolve this quickly. Magma, your powers are in direct opposition to Iceberg's own, try and keep the area around him too hot for ice to form. This should exhaust him. Colossus, Iceberg also has increased strength when he is in his ice-armoured form. You will be the one to protect the rest of the team. Marvel Girl, your abilities are the best safeguard against Mastermind's illusions. If you can keep her off-balance, she won't be able to construct believable scenarios. Hijack... should be preoccupied with maintaining the broadcast, but just in case, keep your distance. Cyclops, your optic beams should be able to take him out without getting too close."

With a smile, he looked to the youngest member of the team. "Frog, your agility and resourcefulness makes you well-suited for lending a hand with any of these Brotherhood mutants. Stay close to the team, keep an eye on everyone, and assist where you can. May they underestimate you at their peril."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marvel Girl

Marvel Girl nodded, but... she couldn't help but think she was probably at a drawback against somebody that'd focused entirely on telepathic combat. The obvious solution would be to take on Mastermind with telekinesis, where she couldn't compete... but what if she was fooled? She looks away at that, before adding lamely, "Of course, Professor." Well, there was nobody else for that fight. "I have Mastermind handled." Great.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"Mastermind's illusions can be formidable, but they are worst against the unsuspecting, unprotected mind. She can only project scenarios into the senses of others, not tamper with their thoughts. These scenarios will be based on her own mental designs, limited by her point of view. To true telepaths like you and I, they will not feel real." The Professor gave Marvel Girl a reassuring pat on the arm. "You've come a long way since you first arrived here, Jean, and I wouldn't ask you to do anything of which I didn't think you were capable. I am so, so proud of you – of all of you."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Colossus

Piotr had a little bit of a concerned feeling, deep down in his core. He wasn't sure what kind of metal he was made of in this form - was it steel? Was it Osmium? Whatever it was, he knew that ice could make metal brittle. They'd not done any major training at excessively high or low temperatures either. He turned on the spot, moved over to the back of the Blackbird and ran a hand over the frame above the entrance ramp. He ducked under the ramp, keeping his head low in the cabin before taking a seat on the middle of the cabin. He put his headphones back in, closed his eyes and leaned back. Optic blasts, throwing fire, dodging out of the way of things with jumping and glaring at things until people fell over. All nice and far away.

Pete suddenly gets the feeling he should have spent more time watching UFC...

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
"A side-effect of Hijack's powers being boosted through the radio telescope array is that all radio signals are being overridden with Xorn's broadcast, even our secure channels. Until you put a stop to it, we will be out of communication. Sadly, Cerebro does not allow me to keep in touch." The Professor tapped the side of his head lightly. "It amplifies my power to the point where if I were to attempt such a thing, I could unintentionally cause irreparable damage to your mind. Perhaps one day it might be possible, but Forge's understanding of telepathic means is a work in progress."

He hesitated at the controls of his chair, and then moved away from the Blackbird, giving it enough room to take off. "I believe in you, my X-Men! But all the same... I wish you good luck!"

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Magma

Even though she had severe misgivings about this task, Adelina couldn't help the flush of pride at the Professor's words. For a moment, she set aside the fact he was asking them to take down a cell of mutant terrorists. At the very least, she thought, we may be the only people in the world who have the training and powers to deal with them.

What that said about the state of the world was a question for later. She buckled her seatbelt tightly and looked at Sarah expectantly. Surely at least the plane ride would go easily. Forge seemed to know what he was doing.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"Thanks. We won't let you down, Professor."

So she was the fifth wheel. But also the moral and emotional center and jack of all trades! Donna could work with this. Her hesitation clears with the Professor's words as she buckles up and begins playing out scenarios in her head. Immediately her mind goes to trying to assist with Iceberg, only for her tongue to get stuck due to the freezing temperatures. She keeps herself from laughing at the thought.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Cyclops

"Thank you Professor. We'll get the job done." added Cyclops storing away the feeling of pleasure she got from the professors words for some lean and hungry time. "Right, then ladies and gentleman let's get this bird in the air." Cyclops added as she pulled her own seatbelt on tight and began working her way through the pre-flight check list. Luckily it was a fairly abbreviated one due to the astonishing degree of automation Mr Valentine had managed to engineer in. Finally with everything as ready as it could be she flipped the switch to open the concealed hangar doors above and slammed the engines into life "Everyone hold tight." She added cheerfully "this is the first proper vertical take-off I've done so the ride may get a little bumpy." As they emerged into the blinding sunlight through the hole where the swimming pool had retracted she added a little extra speed to get them to the required altitude before levelling off. "We should be in New Mexico within the hour" she said quietly glad that she had the distraction of piloting them there to worry about rather than time to get jittery about being in a fight.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marvel Girl

Jean was a little reassured. But not entirely, of course.

"I wonder what they've gone through, to end up like this.", she says. "I mean, they have to know somewhere deep down this isn't going to solve things. This is more like just... lashing out." She looks at the window. "Maybe they have some bigger plan, but even so, it's like they're trying to prove bigots right..." She looks over, and then down a little. "Just thinking out loud. Hope we can talk some sense into them."

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

Donna looks over to Jean, snapped out of her mental simulations by the topic at hand.

"I hope so too, Jea--err, Marvel Girl. Well, as long as we're thinking out loud, here's what I'm thinking: with the imagery and the way they talk, it sounds like one of those cults you used to hear about way back when. Do you know what I mean? Those groups where they grab really vulnerable people, brainwash them into thinking they're doing something good, then they go out and kill and/or eat people. Considering what the Professor was telling us, it definitely screams 'cult' to me. Which means they'll probably need some tough love and deprogramming. I'm...not looking forward to that part, but we'll get to it when we'll get to it, right?"

Frog tilts her head and tries to put on a reassuring smile, but it's obvious from the increasingly oily texture her hair is taking that she's nervous. Realizing she's probably not helping, Frog breaks eye contact and goes back to twiddling her thumbs and trying to blend back into the background.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Magma

"Sounds optimistic," Adelina mumbled after Donna and Jean spoke. Then she blushed, realizing she inserted herself into a conversation she wasn't sure she wanted to be part of. But her parents and the Professor taught her to stand by her words, so she continued without mumbling.

"I don't think they're doing this the right way, but, I mean, I'm not the only who's taking Mutant Civics," she said. "Not everyone gets saved like I did---like we did. Whatever is making them act out, do you really think it's all just a misunderstanding? That they didn't go through something that showed them society wouldn't welcome them?"

Wishing more than ever she kept her mouth shut in the first place, she paused. But she finally added, "Just saying. I don't think assuming they got brainwashed or are confused is safe. You can't just say they didn't have what they thought to be good reason to feel violence is the only option. They're wrong, but that doesn't mean they're stupid or gullible."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
It was dusk as they were leaving, the sun hanging low in the sky, and thanks to the speed of the jet, it was dusk when they arrived. The Blackbird could reach altitudes far beyond commercial aircraft, allowing it to cruise along at supersonic speeds with ease. No traffic, no clouds, just an empty sky. It left a lot of time for talking, and the conversation about the Brotherhood's motives and meaning continued the entire time. Thankfully without ever turning into an argument.

Dropping out of supersonic speeds and into the whisper-flight mode was an interesting experience, to say the least. The engine of the Blackbird didn't thrum like any jet they'd been in before, but when the whisper-flight was engaged it was like the noise suddenly doubled chaotically, before suddenly there was no sound at all. The Blackbird was cancelling out every sound it produced, the only exception the swirls of air just outside its reach, making it as silent as... a whisper.

The effect was very cool, but also incredibly disconcerting. Speaking, moving, even breathing sounded wrong in the stillness, so it brought an end to the discussion before they'd even touched down.

Gliding silently over the array, it wasn't hard to see what was going on. Each of the massive dishes was crackling with visible energy, like neon yellow arcs sparking off every surface. The energy seemed to be radiating out from the operations building, the intensity of it there brighter than everywhere else.

Any doubt that this might not have been the source was put to rest when the Blackbird set down. A few men and women, some in security uniforms, were outside. Some were staggering around, others were curled up on the ground. None of them were acting normal, and not at all like they'd even noticed the jet landing nearby.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Cyclops

The landscape was freaky as Cyclops brought the jet into land. The glowing dishes were ominous and the collapsed security guards were... unsettling. Sliding herself out of the pilots chair she turned to the others. "So here's the plan, I think we can safely ignore these guys. They seem lost in a world of their own. We should push fast and hard for the control building, That's where Hijack will be and no doubt the rest of his little mutant gang. We need to get this wrapped up fast before the army or the FBI or who knows what else shows up. Anyone have any questions before we move out?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Colossus

Piotr hadn't exactly been talkative during the trip. The moment that they entered into whisper flight, though, he seemed to perk up, going from sitting in his chair and looking over at one of the command consoles. There was a surprisingly high definition view of the ground below them, the dish crackling with energy and he just stared at the screen. The figures highlighted in bright white and blue outlines were stumbling around, drunkenly or laying on the floor. He stood up from his chair. "What is-" he said before taking a step. The whisper flight only seemed to amplify the loud clunk of his footsteps.

He was pretty happy when they landed a hundred meters or so from the operations building. At the level of noise they were making no one would notice. He looked over at Cyclops and shrugged his big, shining shoulders. "Are we to sneak in? Could we- try to talk them down first? Tell Mister Valentine that his father misses him and they just want to talk? I do not want to fight."

This guy? The guy that's been listening to Russian metal for the last hour? This is the guy that doesn't want a fight?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Cyclops

"No talking." Cyclops said to the big Russian. "They've made it plenty clear where they stand trying to talk them down is useless. They've made their bed they can lie in it." She added harshly "As for the sneaking part, well I'd like to sneak in and get the drop on them but we don't have the time to. So I recommend a straight charge up the middle it's not pretty and it's not clever but we should have the benefit of surprise and shock, if they're expecting a response at all they're going to assume it's normal police not us we need to hit them fast and hard so they don't have time to think. We do this right no one else needs to get hurt. "

there's the uncompromising thing coming out. And hopefully a bit of the tactical prodigy

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Magma

"I can go in underground and pop up wherever I want," Adelina points out. "And leave a tunnel for the some or all of the rest of you to follow." She didn't say it out loud, but the thought of just charging straight in did not appeal to her.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marvel Girl

"Uh.", Marvel Girl says as Cyclops lays out the... plan? "What about Mastermind? Once she knows you're coming, can you trust you're blasting the right person? C'mon, Sarah." A slight pauses and she rolls her eyes. "Er, I mean, Cyclops. Colossus has a point. But. We need to make sure Mastermind is occupied first thing. If you can't trust your eyes or words, thiiis is going to be a real short fight."

Looking to Magma, she taps her cheek. "If you can do that, then... I can try and scan for thoughts as we're coming up, take them by surprise. Also-" She thinks. "- how about a hand signal? If we run into somebody we think might not be really be one of us, we can have a way of confirming we're really talking to the right person."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Even though she was not actively probing the thoughts of the personnel outside, Jean was still feeling something from them. That much fear and panic was hard to miss. It was seething, pouring off them like steam from a boiling pot.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"I mean, I can prooobably do either approach just fine, but hand signals, you said...? Oh! Oh oh! I think I've got this, maybe!" She hops up and down, obviously excited. "Okay! So! If we make it as easy as copying the same gesture, it'd be easy to figure out, so we gotta do a starter and a reply, right? Well if we start with something like this..." as she forms the 'OK' gesture with her right hand. "...we respond with this!" She forms an 'X' by crossing two flat palms. "Aside from the Professor and his staff, we should be the only folks who know the term 'X-Men,' right? To anyone else an 'X' means 'that's wrong,' or 'no,' or 'check please.' And why would you respond with any of those to someone looking at you and asking if everything's okay? It's foolproof!"

Donna calms herself down a bit and hunches into a ready-to-leap position in anticipation of the team moving forward. She also does this in order to contain her excitement at how confident she was with pushing forward the signal idea. If it turns out to come in handy, they'll remember that it was Frog who came up with it, after all! Great job, Frog, now just sit back, let them respond, and try not to have any metaphorical spaghetti fly out of your pockets. Not that you know where the pockets are on this suit anyway...

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Cyclops

"All good points." Cyclops said reluctantly and ones I should have considered myself she thought berating herself. She'd been thinking in terms of conventional foes, but these mutants were far from that luckily the rest of the team had been using their brains properly even when she hadn't.... "Magma, are you sure you can dig a tunnel wide enough for all of us? and Jea uhh--Marvel Girl do you have any way of tracking where mastermind might be? If we can come up from below ground and take Mastermind out quick then that would even the odds a great deal."

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Colossus

Piotr looked at Cyclops and raised an eyebrow with a creak. "You say if we do this right no one needs to get hurt but them. I say if we do this right, no one needs to get hurt at all," he said, reaching a hand out to a screen. He pointed at it, trying to drag the view around. The touchscreen didn't work when it couldn't detect the salts in skin. He gave a sigh. "Hand signal works," he said, looking down at Frog and smiling. He listened to the plan about tunnelling in, thinking about the size of the tunnel that'd be required and glanced.

"You all sneak around to back of building. I will stand in front. Be distraction."

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
A glance out of the Blackbird's window, at least from the right angle, showed that the main door was hanging open. Whatever was happening to the site personnel outside, they'd been carelessly left to wander. Security on this operation might not have been the Brotherhood's major concern.

If you have a plan, I'd suggest enacting it sooner rather than later. Fortune favours the bold and all that.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Colossus

"Okay," said Piotr. "Frog's got a good plan and so does Cyclops. Magma, you dig a tunnel, everyone else move through it," he said. "I'll go out front and distract 'em. Sooner you guys can dig into the ground the better."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marvel Girl

"Sensing for minds is more like hearing than seeing, but I can try." Maybe, if Marvel Girl could get past some of the defenses of those present, she could see through their eyes. Well, she'd just have to trust in her powers. "I mean, sure.", she adds with a lame, crooked smile, and looks to Magma. "Looks like I'll be following you, and-" She looks worriedly at Colossus. "You should have somebody with you. Ah-" She turns to Cyclops, finally. "Well. You wanted to charge in... you want to make some noise with Colossus?"

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Colossus

Piotr smiled at Jean. "If she wants to I am okay with it but I haven't found something that can hurt me so far and I have been trying for a long time," he said, that smile turning into a grin. "I am fine. Point me at problem, watch me knock problem down."

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Magma

Adelina looked at Cyclops, then Colossus. She shrugged and headed to the ramp. Pausing before dropping down, she turned back and said, "I'm doing the tunnel. Jean, I mean, Marvel Girl"---that felt weird to say, but technically we're on a mission and you use code names on missions, right?---"I won't have any idea what's going to be on the other end when I finish digging. Can you stick close and scan for people above us? Maybe see what they're seeing so we know what we're under?"

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marvel Girl

Scratching her cheek with a fingertip lightly, Marvel Girl says, "I'll try. I can't be too close." She smiles awkwardly as she follows after Magma. "I mean, I'm sure the costume is fireproof but-"

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!
Frog

"Right then! Off we go! Best of luck to you two!" Frog, not wanting to spoil their opportunity, makes a kind of 'let's get rolling' gesture and eagerly follows the tunnel plan. Sure hopping is a bit limited while inside the tunnel, but once it reaches the surface she'll be the first one out! And the first one on the scene gets the best opportunity to make a first impression!

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Outside the Blackbird it was a little more apparent what had been done to the staff of the facility. One of the closest one was in tears, stumbling around, pawing at something only she could see. Another was just running, stumbling, exhausted and with tears on his clothes as he tried to get away from something chasing him. This close, Jean could get a sense of what they were seeing, glimpses of their private waking nightmares, but there was something about them that seemed... off. Like being able to see that the giant monster in a movie was just someone in a rubber costume.

Magma's part of the plan was the first use of the team's powers in the field. Shaky to begin with, but her control over the ground has improved since her mutant gift first manifested. The sound of Colossus walking along the same route, his footfalls making loose bits of rock fall from the tunnel's ceiling, made things tense.

As Colossus got closer to the open door, he could hear something familiar. A quiet, slightly tinny voice saying "I have shed the identity foisted upon me by the same ungrateful species who seeks to deny my gifts and treats me as a disease to be cured."

Xorn's message was still repeating, although it was drowned out for a moment by the sound of something crashing. A table being turned over or something. But it didn't stop, and a piercing woman's voice rang out in frustrated response. "Oh my God! This is going to drive me crazy, where is it coming from? If I have to listen to this one more time..."

The tunnel was already past the door, and those inside could hear the anonymous complaint as well, albeit muffled by so much dirt and stone. Jean could sense the minds nearby, getting a general idea for their position. One almost directly above them, the anger palatable, the source of the voice. Mastermind? Another that seemed to swagger all by itself, although not especially quick. Iceberg? And the last one... like a blinding light, hard to make out any details, just a feeling of power and energy that almost burned. Hijack?

The tunnel opened up abruptly, cold air rushing in, as it breached into some sort of unoccupied basement area. Judging by the shelves it seemed to be a storage area. Here Xorn's message was echoing as well, quietly, from somewhere on the other side of the room. Maybe in another section entirely. But here there were stairs leading up, and from directly above, the sound of another table being flipped over angrily.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Cyclops

The tunnel had been cramped and tight and the dirt falls caused by Colossus made Cyclops nervous. "Good thing I'm not claustrophobic" she thought to herself as the team came up in an empty storage room. As she dusted herself off and stretched a little she put a finger to her lips emphasising quiet and gestured up They needed to link up with the big Russian and fast and that meant taking out whoever the hell was making all that noise upstairs, at least the noise should give her cover as she creeped up the stairs hoping that the rest of the team would follow her.

@Ferrosol: 1d10+1d8+1d8 Sneaky Cyclops take two = (7)+(5)+(6) = 18

that's 1d10 for team 1d8 for covert expert and 1d8 for tactical prodigy, so taking the 7 and 6 for my roll and saving the other d8 for my effect die.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Colossus

Colossus wasn't one for stealth. He waited for everyone else to be out of the aircraft before making his move knowing full well that a few of his footsteps would set off anyone listening in the area. It was like a mix of a hammer hitting an anvil and a car door closing. He waited for the bulk of his team to sink into the ground before stepping out, a hand on the top of the exit ramp.

Piotr stepped off the ramp and onto the parched New Mexico dirt and looked around. God, this place was desolate. Was this the place that the American's nuked back in the 50s and 60s? He's always heard that nuclear weapons had been responsible for the creation of mutants, somehow. Considering his mother and father had been out in Semipalatinsk when the tests were carried out there, it made sense that all three of their children would be mutants. There was a parking lot in the distance surrounded by a fence, dirt and dust between him and it. Beyond the fence lay the people, crawling and clawing at the floor and their eyes.

He marched forwards, sunlight glinting off his exposed arms and shoulders. He walked around the fence and through the main entrance to the parking lot outside the front of the radio telescope control room. He walked past the humans on the ground, his heart starting to race, grabbed the door handle and swung it open. The cheap metal handle compressed slightly in his grip. Calm down, Pete. He stood there in the main entrance way; a small lobby area with a reception desk, a computer terminal and a watercooler. There was a TV mounted from the ceiling in a corner of the room, its screen smashed in. He moved towards the source of the smashing and the female voice, picking up the watercooler as he went.

"Strongly agree. It is time for that message to stop playing," he muttered under his breath. He put a hand on the door, opened it and threw the watercooler in the direction the voice had been coming from.