Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Arcsquad12 posted:

And there's always millenia's and Naky's weapon mods which turn New Vegas's comically huge arsenal into something approaching "enuff dakka".

Did Millennia ever really transition to Fallout 4? He did the shotgun and combat rifle retextures and the SIG P226, but I've seen nothing since. Did he just drop off the map or find a new game to cram a thousand weapons into?

He's got a job at Edge Case Games now, making Fractured Space spaceships. I see him on the official discord every now and then and he's still a loving wizard, so it's definitely the same guy.

what was that gun he kept getting bothered to model? like I know people had every request under the sun but there was one which seemed to get a lot of perennial requests, by which I mean whiny demands. I remember naky being grumpy about it. I want to bring that up and see if he remembers it :v:

could've been the RU-556?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He did make a ruger 556 but Naky's version is better and I figure millennia just felt like "guys there's already a superb one out there stop asking me".

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Got a new laptop and its been so long that I forgot how to put mods in with FOMM, is the Nexus MM worth using since I didn't see it in the 7 year old OP?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nmm is fine, but MO is still your best bet until the revamped NMM (which the MO guy is apparently working on) comes out.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Any good step by step sites showing how to use it because all the videos I've watched are pretty much trash and old.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Agents are GO! posted:

1. Open ESP in FNVEdit.
  2. Make Modifications.
  3. Test in-game.
  4. Open in FNVEdit again, gently caress around until you break it.
  5. Restore from backup.
  6. Repeat.

Edit: I'll try and be slightly more helpful: The best way to learn to do it is to do it. Just open it up and start thwackin' away at it. Sounds like you'll want to edit the leveled lists entries.

I took your advice and went butcher pete on it and near as I can tell it's steady and stable with only the ma deuce available. Thanks mate. :hai:

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

achillesforever6 posted:

Any good step by step sites showing how to use it because all the videos I've watched are pretty much trash and old.

I figured out how to use MO from the skyrim modding thread, IIRC. It's not too hard once you learn a little bit.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anyone have any like, beginner guides to modifying meshes? I want to remove the neck covers from ADAM Reborn because they're clipping for some reason, along with the dumb metal water tin thing on the back of the ranger patrol armor since it makes a few weapons clip when holstered since it's at a different angle, but I have no idea how or where to start with it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kitfox88 posted:

Anyone have any like, beginner guides to modifying meshes? I want to remove the neck covers from ADAM Reborn because they're clipping for some reason, along with the dumb metal water tin thing on the back of the ranger patrol armor since it makes a few weapons clip when holstered since it's at a different angle, but I have no idea how or where to start with it.

Download Nifskope to begin with. That will allow you to access the meshes. from there, you can select certain sections of the mesh to delete them. I'm not sure about the ADAM neck cover, but it might be removable. (I think it came from GOPHER's neck cover mod?) As for the Ranger Patrol Armor, I don't think that one can be easily removed because it's part of the torso mesh.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Download Nifskope to begin with. That will allow you to access the meshes. from there, you can select certain sections of the mesh to delete them. I'm not sure about the ADAM neck cover, but it might be removable. (I think it came from GOPHER's neck cover mod?) As for the Ranger Patrol Armor, I don't think that one can be easily removed because it's part of the torso mesh.

Yeah, I was able to remove the parts of the ranger combat armor that were clipping pretty easily. No idea how to remove the patrol armor tin can though, but the neck clipping was the real killer for me.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
I thought I'd do a replay of this again but I've fallen at the first hurdle pretty much.

I'm running through MO and added all the tools that I needed, It loaded up fine on its own, then I added NVSE and launched through MO and that worked fine too so then I did the 4gb patcher and tried to launch it through MO but now it crashes on load. I tried deleting falloutNV.EXE and re downloading through steam but it still crashes on boot when run through MO. I can launch it through steam fine.

I don't really know what else to do, I can't tweak anything off because nothing other than the base game is running?

The version that launches on steam is presumably the correct one as I can do the NVSE test and it reports version 5.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are you running new Vegas anti crash?

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
No the only things I've tried installing so far are NVSE and the 4gb patch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Throw NVAC in and put it at the top of your load order. See if that solves it

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
NVAC is pretty much required to make this engine stable on Win 8+

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the advice but it didn't help.

What do you reckon I need to delete to restart and try again?

TBH I don't really understand how the hell the the steam launched version is loading the 4gb NVSE version correctly, since I deleted the modified executable and had steam re-download the original :shrug:.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
After running the 4gb patcher you're just telling MO to run newvegas.exe right?

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Yep, launching the standard executable through MO like the instructions said. When that didn't work I tried launching through nvse as well to see what would happen but it crashed in the same way.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Have you tried deleting the .ini files in the MO profile folder and let them be re-created? Usually those .ini files are the only things that will cause an immediate crash like that.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Hey thanks I made a new profile and that got it to load!

I re-ran the patcher and this time it is working fine. I think the only thing I did differently was that originally I loaded NVSE up first to make sure it was working, and this time I didn't and just ran the patcher... Computers man.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

is there a mod that makes the new vegas weapon modding/crafting/outdoorsman systems more similar to fallout 4?

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 25, 2017

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

double nine posted:

is there a mod that makes the new vegas weapon modding/crafting/outdoorsman systems more similar to fallout 4?

can you describe what youd want changed

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

can you describe what youd want changed

mostly the various components & junk you find laying around turned into base components, that's stored automagically at your base/crafting station's inventory. Also better menus/menu sorting but that's probably a pipe dream.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

double nine posted:

mostly the various components & junk you find laying around turned into base components, that's stored automagically at your base/crafting station's inventory. Also better menus/menu sorting but that's probably a pipe dream.

nah

fnv very much isn't that kind of game

weapon modding is a lot better than in fo4, especially if you get WMX, but most mods just add more recipes

if you want to engage with the crafting system at all though, https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/59638/ is a requirement

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There was a mod I used a long time ago, I can't remember for sure but I think this one: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43918 and/ or this https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/43920

It adds a system where just about all misc items are worth a certain amount of steel/glass etc

There's this as well, which is trying to replicate the F4 crafting system, currently on hold but may be worth a look: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/61911/

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there a mod to give the player character a bitchin' face scar, for that authentic 'I've-been-shot-in-the-head' look?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

YggiDee posted:

Is there a mod to give the player character a bitchin' face scar, for that authentic 'I've-been-shot-in-the-head' look?

Fallout Character Overhaul has a special race called "The Courier" which has a bullet scar.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Old Ghoul Eye.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a mod that just straight up converts Ocelot from MGS5 and let me use him as my character?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is there a mod that just straight up converts Ocelot from MGS5 and let me use him as my character?

Dragbody has probably done that. There's also a mod that gives you Ocelot's MGS5 outfit.

Kuno
Nov 4, 2008
Hmm. problem 2 with my modding attempts. Every-time I try to install ENB the game crases to desktop.

I can run the game fine with no ENB files but as soon as I drop the ENB stuff in my folder the game immediately CTDs.

I must be missing something in the installation but I'm not sure what.

HDR is on, AA & AF is off, shadowplay is off (I think, I'm not 100% sure about this one) steam overlay is off, gamebar is off (I think, again not 100% sure it is all the way off)

Launching through MO and I have used 4GB patcher. For the time being while I am trying to get ENB on I have turned all my mods off except NVAC.

I am using the wrapper version which is what I have always used before, I could try the injector version I guess but I don't know anything about how that one works.

What the hell am I missing? I've tried just the base ENB files and also the full install of the preset and they both cause crashes so it must be ENB and not sweetFX.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Not a question about modding, but I'm playing through New Vegas the first time...

I just got the Platinum Chip. Will it be more fun to give it to Mr. House or should I meet that other robot-thing first and plan to kill Mr. House?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Grey posted:

Not a question about modding, but I'm playing through New Vegas the first time...

I just got the Platinum Chip. Will it be more fun to give it to Mr. House or should I meet that other robot-thing first and plan to kill Mr. House?

It really depends on how you want the game to end. Even after giving House the chip, you can get it back if you decide to team up with Yes-Man and control the Mojave yourself. Giving him the chip will also get you some cash.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Meet the robot thing first then go talk to house. It's going to be awhile before you're actually locked out of working with one of the factions.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

The Grey posted:

This is when you wander off for no well-defined in-story reason and start doing the DLC, actually.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

This is when you wander off for no well-defined in-story reason and start doing the DLC, actually.

When I do a roleplaying run of the game, I try to justify them in character however I can. Dead Money and Old World Blues are easy because you can literally run into them by accident as you explore the wasteland, and you should properly do Lonesome Road after all the other DLC and encountering the signs of Ulysses through each of them.

Honest Hearts is the only difficult one. The Courier needs to straight up go "gently caress this, I'm going to Utah for cash money."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Worth mentioning that you can lock yourself out of the NCR or Legion by doing quests for other factions, but you can't lock yourself out of House except by killing him (and I think blowing up all his robots) and you can never lock yourself out of Yes Man at all, so I say carry on with Mr House until you realise he is the best option for the wasteland, and then finish the game with him.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

chitoryu12 posted:

Honest Hearts is the only difficult one. The Courier needs to straight up go "gently caress this, I'm going to Utah for cash money."

hmmm, i don’t have enough caps to pass the credit check at the Strip Gate. how can i make some money quick?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Freaking Crumbum posted:

hmmm, i don’t have enough caps to pass the credit check at the Strip Gate. how can i make some money quick?

You don't have enough caps by the time you get there?

I tried doing an "NPC run" once where I never did any adventuring quests and only did the quests for simple jobs (like deliveries) and otherwise made all my money by selling what I could scavenge. I had thousands of caps by the time I was in Novac.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

You don't have enough caps by the time you get there?

I tried doing an "NPC run" once where I never did any adventuring quests and only did the quests for simple jobs (like deliveries) and otherwise made all my money by selling what I could scavenge. I had thousands of caps by the time I was in Novac.

he probably bought something