Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nessus posted:

Unless you're a Buddhist or something.

This is actually one thing I think CoC gets wrong, because people who read things like the Necronomicon for abstract academic reasons don't seem to suffer mental strain at the time, it only comes up when they find out stuff that validates all that medieval metaphysics. But like the professor in The Dunwich Horror was up on Abd al-Hazred's Greatest Hits. He wasn't ready for the nuthatch.

He and his buddies pretty much walk up the mountain, wax the horror, close the book, dust off their coats, and head back for a faculty meeting.

Armitage owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Night10194 posted:

He and his buddies pretty much walk up the mountain, wax the horror, close the book, dust off their coats, and head back for a faculty meeting.

Armitage owns.
His brother killed their dog. Eye for an eye.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Nessus posted:

This is actually one thing I think CoC gets wrong, because people who read things like the Necronomicon for abstract academic reasons don't seem to suffer mental strain at the time, it only comes up when they find out stuff that validates all that medieval metaphysics. But like the professor in The Dunwich Horror was up on Abd al-Hazred's Greatest Hits. He wasn't ready for the nuthatch.
Yeah, I think it's an all around better way to do it.
This is a good point. I just re-read At the Mountains of Madness and while the narrator found the Necronomicon disturbing, the mind breaking horror was that he knew what he was looking at when he saw the things it described.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Servetus posted:

Not really; that's pretty much every day with a y in it in the 21st century. We live on a fragile orb that is the only known place we can subsist, in a vast radiation ravaged void with a few balls or rock and gas and dust in our immediate vicinity. We are bound by the speed of light, we can see glimpses of other worlds that perhaps might hold life, but will likely never reach. Our one sanctuary is being destroyed by our overlords, who care nothing for human life, in their drive to slake their desires. But I don't spontaneously develop schizophrenia from realising that.

What about Nyarlothep is supposed to be particularly scary?

Not only is he an elder god with vast and terrible power, but he's actively malicious even on the individual scale. He's a monster because he finds it fun.

So basically, the fact that you have the misfortune to be in a Nyarlothep story.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Night10194 posted:

When I finish WHFRP and WH40KRP's first book (I don't intend to do the whole line as I don't feel it's needed) I'm going back to Myriad Song.

Yeah, Fragged Empire does a similarly good job of presenting a mysterious universe with a perfectly clear reasoning and justification.

Also to be self-indulgent because I couldn't get to it yesterday, why do RPGs like Starfinger think they need rules for heroin or space PCP or other so-called "hard" drugs? Is there some deep well of people who play heroin addicts that I'm not aware of? I mean, it makes sense for World of Darkness games, because they need to get across a white suburban's view of Life on the Hard Streets™, but I don't quite understand why it shows up in power fantasy games like Starfinger. I hate to bring Fragged Empire up as the example for all the things, but when they have their dangerous drug, it's a central mystery and leads to conflict and makes monsters for you to fight. But in Starfinger, it's just... there. I guess you could try and stop some drug merchants or something, but it doesn't seem likely you're gonna try the stuff, and if you do it's just a litany of punishments for PCs who are foolish enough to.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Fragged Empire does a similarly good job of presenting a mysterious universe with a perfectly clear reasoning and justification.

Also to be self-indulgent because I couldn't get to it yesterday, why do RPGs like Starfinger think they need rules for heroin or space PCP or other so-called "hard" drugs? Is there some deep well of people who play heroin addicts that I'm not aware of? I mean, it makes sense for World of Darkness games, because they need to get across a white suburban's view of Life on the Hard Streets™, but I don't quite understand why it shows up in power fantasy games like Starfinger. I hate to bring Fragged Empire up as the example for all the things, but when they have their dangerous drug, it's a central mystery and leads to conflict and makes monsters for you to fight. But in Starfinger, it's just... there. I guess you could try and stop some drug merchants or something, but it doesn't seem likely you're gonna try the stuff, and if you do it's just a litany of punishments for PCs who are foolish enough to.
I think it's because of spice. Both Dune and Star Wars versions.

Of course, it's a central plot device and mystery in Dune. And in Star Wars just a cool sounding thing to be smuggling. Though I've always loved the fan theory that Han Solo was hauling space nutmeg and cumin.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The money to be made from selling drugs seems like a decent way to keep yourself stocked up on gear.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I think it's because of spice. Both Dune and Star Wars versions.

Of course, it's a central plot device and mystery in Dune. And in Star Wars just a cool sounding thing to be smuggling. Though I've always loved the fan theory that Han Solo was hauling space nutmeg and cumin.
I think they also make it so that doing drugs immediately blows giant holes in your brain in order to enforce that Drugs Are Bad. I guess Juicers in RIFTS avoid this but they're also mostly just injecting "DRUG" from a tank full of "DRUG" rather than any specific substance.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nessus posted:

His brother killed their dog. Eye for an eye.

I think the dog lived. :regd09:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

But it was driven hopelessly insane.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kavak posted:

The dog had to continue existing in a world where the real monster was Man, a fate, if you think about it, worse than death.

Whateley also probably hosed up the carpet.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nessus posted:

Whateley also probably hosed up the carpet.

They're probably insured.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Hauling a theoretically legal product but not paying the (possibly very high) tariff on it is a classic smuggler strategy. Ask John Hancock about this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Last Exodus the Interactive Story Arc of the Third and Last Dance is a roleplaying game from Synister Creative Systems published in 2001 and designed Sean and Joshua Jaffe. It’s a metaplot heavy, playing card deck using, religious themed urban grunge game. Unless I am otherwise notified it appears to be completely out of print with no digital versions available. Should this be incorrect I will update to include where it can be bought to give the original developers income.

Part 4: The Metaplot As She is Vomited Forth

Finally, time to get to this game’s precious metaplot. TLE splits it into three sections, with only the third really having any bearing for players. Since my eyes glaze over whenever I try to read these massive blocks of uninspired text, and there is genuinely about 6 pictures across all 18 pages, let’s instead do highlights of each section.

Pictured, literally Za Warudo
Art: Larry Chy

The First Dance, Eternal: Parthenogenesis
  • Off the bat, Ahura Mazda is the one, true, creator God
  • The game’s then “well, actually”’s itself by noting that that predating Ahura Mazda were evil snake men, a world that isn’t Eden, and unnamed sentient beings who petitioned the uncaring universe for help
  • Ahura Mazda creates Eden for these unnamed beings to keep them safe and creates “souls” for them to live in which are immortal in Eden making the implication that Eden is itself a false reality and that Ahura Mazda can’t truly make life, only vessels for it to live in so he isn't a Creator God
  • The game will never mention any of this after the next page and studiously ignores this massive question in its cosmology down to never once again mentioning the pure-evil snake men older than God*
  • We jump ahead 195 million years to where Lucifer, an elected emperor in the Star Wars tradition, gets mad at Ahura Mazda for not doing enough to protect his people, “The Antecedent Empire” from disasters
  • Lucifer decides that if Ahura Mazda won’t protect his people he’ll just clone god
  • TLE states, and I quote, “[...]Re-create the genetic code of God. Thus began the GODHEAD project. “If this God won’t save us”, Lucifer reasoned, “we’ll have to create one who will””
  • There is no explanation for how that works or what that means for the setting. Those questions are boxed up and packed away next to the snake men
  • GODHEAD is always in all caps. It doesn’t stand for anything and the GODHEAD has 12 other names that get used interchangeably for it with no explanation**. It shouldn’t even begin to surprise you at this point one of those names is “Demiurge”
  • GODHEAD blows up the Antecedent Empire when it’s finished growing(?) for reasons you never get to find out because the narrator of this story says almost literally :you’ll never know why or what happened”
  • The Antecedent Empire, by the way, gets re-inhabited nearly immediately and Ahura Mazda rules from here for the rest of recorded time so blowing it up accomplishes nothing in the story except an excuse to write “18 million souls died instantly” in a comic book escalating body count kind of way
  • Ahura Mazda sends GODHEAD to hell for this, but not uh the game’s setting of “Hell” because that’s in Eden but instead the hell referenced here is our Earth dimension
  • Ahura Mazda also sends down to hell any “soul” that asked him to do something about the whole GODHEAD issue, for the crime of not trusting him enough. Great guy that Ahura Mazda
  • Amaterasu, Nut, Na’Pui, and Proteus are called out as souls cursed to earth by Ahura Mazda.
  • The GODHEAD, now in Earth, has a mental breakdown because it can create physical bodies to prevent the souls sent to Earth with it from dying, but can’t make the immortal souls Ahura Mazda can and Ahura Mazda won’t tell it how to do it.
  • There is no indication of what happens to a soul when you die as a human, the only thing the game confirms is you don’t go to Eden just because you died. The game will never ruminate on what this means for its setting
  • For those keeping record, humans in this setting exist not one but two layers deep into a fake reality, because the “good” god cursed immortal souls to go down from the second to third layer where they can die forever, as will all their descendents, all because they had the temerity to ask for his help

If they were so smart, why do they have so many obstructed view apartments?

The Second and Penultimate Dance: Testament
  • In an extremely confusing section we learn that GODHEAD can have humans perform a ritual to rip the soul out of a body to leave behind only the shell, except GODHEAD is the inventor of human bodies which were empty shells he stuffed souls into so why does he even need this process?
  • More confusing, the game says GODHEAD begins experimenting with free will in its creations now which makes absolutely no sense, as Free Will has never been implied to not exist to this point and GODHEAD explicitly can't make the souls that inhabit human bodies
  • The game really, really likes splitting the Jewish biblical God’s role in stories between Ahura Mazda and GODHEAD. Here, it makes the plagues hitting Egypt alternate between the two deities as a show of power, even though the book just spent several paragraphs explaining how Egypt was fully under the control of GODHEAD and their entire religion was made up by GODHEAD
  • Moses parting the Red Sea is smugly credited in TLE as being first miracle in the Bible. I’m sorry, TLE but you don’t get to be smug when you gently caress up basic things like this
  • The game compares the Jews wandering in the desert for 40 years directly to the holocaust and says Ahura Mazda did it to “Breed out their slave mentality”. Jews also explicitly give up on reaching heaven after GODHEAD kills Moses they instead settle for conquering all the lands around them. I’m not touching any of this poo poo with a 10 foot pole and the game flat out never discusses any of this again
  • After the great ganking of Moses, Ahura Mazda takes a new track and has a baby with a lady to make Jesus Christ as the perfect messiah to lead humans back to Eden
  • Scratch that perfect messiah bit, Jesus Christ gets given a bunch of pointless character assassination flaws like bipolar disorder
  • Jesus, being part man which means he is inherently tainted by GODHEAD which you think Ahura Mazda would have thought through, didn’t destroy human sin but rather absorbed human sins into himself, and this process created an evil, I guess beardless, Jesus doppleganger called the Anti-Christ
  • The Anti-Christ also arrived in Eden when Jesus died and tried to conquer it. He is an immortal unkillable jerk who keeps trying to conquer Eden and reincarnates on Earth a bunch, but is most notable as he can travel between Earth and Eden and lead GODHEAD armies between each so he sets up countries under control of GODHEAD in Eden called Hells
  • To fix this mess, Ahura Mazda tasks the Angel Gabriel to incarnate as Muhammed***
  • TLE dives into an abridged, sanitized, relatively accurate life of the prophet for two pages referring to him as Muhammed*** the entire time and then at the start of the seventh paragraph and for the rest of the time he’s a character refers to him as Jibril. TLE, I know that means Gabriel and I was still lost for several minutes
  • Muhammed*** lead some humans back to Eden, and the game says he’s the first human to travel to Eden in thousands of years even though it explicitly said, to the point of only referring to him as Jibril, that he is the Angel Gabriel.
  • Jibril then further proves he isn’t a human in contradiction to the text when he reincarnates multiple times to one on one fight the Anti-Christ
  • You know how White Wolf, and most of its clones, have the good sense to not really touch who was behind the Nazis? TLE has no such qualms and the GODHEAD is not only specifically behind the Nazis, they are the perfect manifestation for its goals for Earth to the point where it renames all of its various territories it has conquered in Eden “The Eternal Reich”

I’m not sure why this art is in this section at all. By the way, the second song was off the soundtrack for Blade

The Third and Last Dance: Prelude to an Exodus
  • Why isn’t this section called “The Last Exodus”?
  • So Ahura Mazda and the GODHEAD are having tons of children at this point, despite earlier it being mentioned that Ahura Mazda made a vow to never, ever do that again after the whole Jesus Christ evil-version fiasco
  • No explanation for why Ahura Mazda has to have so many kids. Apparently, they can’t just birth the one it wants with the right qualities despite having done that earlier.
  • We now get a fairly in-depth recap of the Bosnian War. And I mean in-depth; despite an entire side in the conflict being honest-to-goodness Ultra-Nazis, WWII gets maybe six lines total describing it where the Bosnian War gets about three pages
  • The section on Muslims here and their defense groups and the Mujahedin and callouts on the West’s “terrorist” label being applied only to their enemies would have gotten a serious reworking if this game had released a month or so later, so it’s an interesting time capsule. Not worth actually reading, though.
  • Mirjana Filipovic is the name of the woman from the back of the book who is Ahura Mazda’s perfect messiah to lead all humans back to Eden in the “Last Exodus”. She is not, as the back of the book claims, the second coming of christ. Back of the book, you had one job!
  • Content Warning She is brutally raped and murdered in this section and ultimately so irrelevant to the game that she doesn’t even have an index or glossary entry
  • Everything below this bullet are things actually relevant to the game players will play

• 12 people got super-magic mega powers in Times Square at New Years, 2000CE. They are referred to them as Apostles, and 6 of them are evil and 6 of them are good and 0 of them are playable characters.
  • The Apostles control the world's 12 religions, one per religion, most of which don’t meet the qualifications to be a religion unless you believe that the Crips are an religion.
  • The Apostles do metaplot stuff for metaplot reasons which are vaguely alluded to but never explained in the next section. In this section, literally all the 6 good ones manage to accomplish is a group meeting to decide on what their names will be
  • The 6 evil Apostles are a bit more proactive, and take command of the Eternal Reich and declare open war on heaven by blitzkrieg bombing 3 million people to death in one of the provinces of Eden.
  • Final reminder: this game is supposed to be White Wolf style hidden-in-plain-sight game of subtle influence and intrigue from the shadows

Pictured the 12 Apostles and their [insert anime power up form reference]

Now that we’ve finished the Metaplot you may be wondering “Why do I have to side with either Ahura Mazda or the GODHEAD? They both seem like manipulative, destructive, cruel idiots”. Well my friends, the answer is TLETISAOTTALD.

Next Time: These Characters Will Judge You

*The index confirms these three pages are the only pages these beings older than God and an enemy of all creation are mentioned
**GODHEAD could stand for a lot of things, really. I’ll round up any suggestions and include them next update
***ʿalayhi as-salâm/PBUH

Barudak fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 19, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

To me, a lot of the Lovecraft treatment of madness comes from the presumption that learning that there is no divine sponsor of humanity and that the universe is an uncaring, hostile place filled with uncaring, dangerous beings would, in fact, drive one mad. It strikes me as the horror equivalent of the "there are no atheists in foxholes" sort of argument, that one needs faith in humanity, at the very least, having a central place in the universe if one is to remain sane. And anything that chips away at that notion risks one's ability to keep a grip on things. If everything is not explicable, one loses touch with reality.

This is, of course, complete nonsense, but "complete nonsense" is generally a very good descriptor for most of what Lovecraft wrote.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Holy poo poo at this complete mess of a backstory. :psyduck:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Barudak posted:

[*]The Apostles control the world's 12 religions, one per religion, most of which don’t meet the qualifications to be a religion unless you believe that the Crips are an religion.

I kind of want to see the list of religions now.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

This is certainly the point in a game where I start to mumble "but what is the game loving about?" It makes me think of Eoris Essence, which I still haven't read far enough in to answer the question "but what is the game loving about?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

wdarkk posted:

I kind of want to see the list of religions now.

Don't worry, as part of the character creation process you have to join one of those 12 religions so I'll be covering them.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This is certainly the point in a game where I start to mumble "but what is the game loving about?" It makes me think of Eoris Essence, which I still haven't read far enough in to answer the question "but what is the game loving about?"

It's genuinely not in the game. There is an implied goal for the good guys of "Lead humans to Eden" but there's no description of how that's done and as a standard gift for being a PC you can freely warp to Eden yourself so... mission accomplished?

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 19, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To me, a lot of the Lovecraft treatment of madness comes from the presumption that learning that there is no divine sponsor of humanity and that the universe is an uncaring, hostile place filled with uncaring, dangerous beings would, in fact, drive one mad. It strikes me as the horror equivalent of the "there are no atheists in foxholes" sort of argument, that one needs faith in humanity, at the very least, having a central place in the universe if one is to remain sane. And anything that chips away at that notion risks one's ability to keep a grip on things. If everything is not explicable, one loses touch with reality.

This is, of course, complete nonsense, but "complete nonsense" is generally a very good descriptor for most of what Lovecraft wrote.

Armchair litcrit time, but Lovecraft was writing in the aftermath of the First World War, where a lot of beliefs about human nature, progress and, well, everything had been blown to smithereens along with half of Europe. As the 20th Century delivered further horrors and the world spent forty years with a nuclear Sword of Damocles hanging over it (To be replaced by the 1000-ton weight of Global Warming), cosmic horror lost most of its impact. I still think there's a place for it- just look at Delta Green- but Mythos adventures set in Lovecraft's times should definitely hew to the pulpy side of things.

Anyway that spoilered entry in the timeline was edgy enough it cut me through my computer screen. This is gonna be a fun review.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

God I am just such a loving sucker for allcaps names that aren't acronyms, they're just inexplicably allcaps. GODHEAD would have totally bankrolled B.L.O.O.D.M.O.S.E.S. and the Chaos Dunk.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Kavak posted:

Armchair litcrit time, but Lovecraft was writing in the aftermath of the First World War, where a lot of beliefs about human nature, progress and, well, everything had been blown to smithereens along with half of Europe.

Yeah, that's the thing. It made enough sense at the time when a lot of those notions were held as common wisdom even though they were being shat all over.

In a time where I comfortably feel the universe is not anthropocentric or divinely guided in the slightest, though, it feels awfully quaint.

Barudak posted:

It's genuinely not in the game. There is an implied goal for the good guys of "Lead humans to Eden" but there's no description of how that's done and as a standard gift for being a PC you can freely warp to Eden yourself so... mission accomplished?

Whups.

I always wondered why there weren't more White Wolf-styled heartbreakers than there were. I mean, there are a fair number, but a lot of them like Delirium or Everlasting are just ex-White Wolf employees to begin with. It could be just because White Wolf worked so hard to corner every edge of their little genre, but it always felt like a pretty easy formula to look at and think "oh, I can do that better!"

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fortunately, we are still well clear of the return of the Great Old Ones, because those require people to be reveling with joy, and that is out of fashion lately.

I may just be an old man now but I don't get Delta Green at all. I may have been turned off by that con experience. Is there a setting element people like or is it because of its harmony with things like "Men in Black"?

Hostile V posted:

God I am just such a loving sucker for allcaps names that aren't acronyms, they're just inexplicably allcaps. GODHEAD would have totally bankrolled B.L.O.O.D.M.O.S.E.S. and the Chaos Dunk.
Is Zaubermancy gated behind a prestige class?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Barudak posted:

By the way, the second song was off the soundtrack for Blade

It wouldn't happen to be "Confusion" by New Order?

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 19, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nessus posted:

I may just be an old man now but I don't get Delta Green at all. I may have been turned off by that con experience. Is there a setting element people like or is it because of its harmony with things like "Men in Black"?

It imparts the despair and impossible, desperate odds that Lovecraftian heroes are supposed to be feeling much better than vanilla CoC. I don't know if it's the black ops aspect or just the writing focusing on people's experiences more than the Mythos and setting.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hey remember when I said the metaplot says dying doesn't send you to Eden? Well in a later section discussing how to travel between the worlds, any form of death will work and there's no implication Ahura Mazda will reject suicides.

This means a) starting a death cult or being mass murderers is the most efficient way to get people to Eden for good characters and b) evil characters should spend the entire game trying to keep everyone on Earth alive at all costs

Young Freud posted:

It wouldn't happen to be "Confusion" by New Order?

While that would be absolutely hilarious, no sadly it is for the song "Fightin a War" by Down 2 Earth feat. Rome. Lyrics are "Fighting a war in the dark side/tryin' to make it over cause I can't hide/gotta cross over the light side/to save my people"

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Nessus posted:

Some of this is probably typesetting and layout. The 2E PHB did not meaningfully change content but it was re-laid out and produced a longer book between "the one with a charging cavalier on the cover" and "the one with a barbarian kicking open a door on the cover."

The earlier edition was prettier too.

Def. I sold my Green Reprints because of how ugly the insides were compared to the old ones. Also the old ones had far more female characters in them - you have to go to page 130 in the 1995 PHB to find a female character; there's two by page 7 of the 1989 books.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Angrymog posted:

Def. I sold my Green Reprints because of how ugly the insides were compared to the old ones. Also the old ones had far more female characters in them - you have to go to page 130 in the 1995 PHB to find a female character; there's two by page 7 of the 1989 books.
It seems like there was a clumsy proto-push for a wider female market for D&D which, of course, presumably kind of fell into the swamp, but there are relics of it, like the HeartQuest books. But effort WAS made.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Maybe lovecraftian horror for today should work on different principles. Judging by the thread, finding out that Sithrak like divine entity exists, wants to torture you forever, people are working to actively bring it about and there's only so much you can do to stop them.

Ultimately, it should be totally alien and horrific to you, but we're kinda having a hard time coming up with something totally alien to us.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

TLD questions:
So how did the Nazis lose if they were antiGod's favored in antiGod's realm?

Why does it matter that it all started 200million years ago, aside from a desire to upset Biblical Literalist Dad?

So you have aliens ensouled in Eden and then embodied on Earth? Where does this metphysical turducken end?

If only Eden and Earth were specifically created, why does the rest of the physical universe exist? Is there space in Eden?

How did Eden not get exhausted in 200 millio years of exploitation? Can Mazda just miracle up resources for them?

Who do messiahs keep reincarnating as nee people, instead of going "yo, it's me again?"

Is this game just meant to trigger WASPs?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

JcDent posted:

Maybe lovecraftian horror for today should work on different principles. Judging by the thread, finding out that Sithrak like divine entity exists, wants to torture you forever, people are working to actively bring it about and there's only so much you can do to stop them.

Ultimately, it should be totally alien and horrific to you, but we're kinda having a hard time coming up with something totally alien to us.
If by "us" you mean "this thread," I think that if we tailored a horror experience to the denizens of TGD, we would come up with something even more ridiculous than Roko's Basilisk.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You start reading Time Cube and realize that its true :v:

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
One of the themes that crops up in Lovecraft is stuff like non-euclidean geometry, because that was a newish branch of mathematics at the time (hyperbolic geometry in particular), and the entire concept of it freaked Lovecraft the gently caress out. (Euclidean) Geometry was one of the few areas of math that he could kind of sort of get his head around, and I get the feeling the very thought of the 5 Euclidean axioms possibly sometimes being invalid was terrifying to him. That's the kind of eldritch knowledge eroding your concept of reality and breaking your mind that he's envisioning.

The poor bastard never even heard of quantum mechanics. We've long since established that all the sensible, intuitive, reasonable laws of physics that we'd been operating under for centuries are really just a crude approximation of the TRULY loving WEIRD math that's actually going on. And humanity, faced with this revelation of truths incompatible with traditional wisdom, promptly harnessed this new knowledge to trick rocks into thinking faster. The effect on our sanity is debatable, but we didn't all get locked in sanitariums.

Point being, "Lovecraftian Horror" is stuff that's scary to Lovecraft in particular. He wrote convincingly because he really was horrified, but that doesn't mean the stuff that scared him is universally terrifying. We'll never really get the same impact, because we're already comfortable with the universe being weird as hell. The doofy theory that reality is actually a COMPUTER SIMULATION is just as existentially terrifying as Azathoth, but even the true believers just keep making electric cars instead of curling up into a ball and gibbering about how someone could trip over the universe's power cord at any moment.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Why has nobody ever used Warren ellis' idea that heaven and hell are just two war engines powered by souls? Learning that after my death all my individuality and personality would be broken and rendered down to metaphysical fuel would be plenty horrifying.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Maybe something about societal forces and how itīs mere influence ignores any attempts to steer it away from self-destruction and only the tendency of radical individuals has the ability to change course, but itīs basically a never ending train-wreck? (Also very much a fitting analogy)

Otherwise, something for those more outspoken and hypocritical, maybe how about that universal forces in existence not only exist, but that they favor the general jersey-shore edutainment favoring manchild and you (the nonpersonal game-character you) as the shining outspoken example of intellectual prowess are actually making things more miserable for everyone around you? Or is that too harsh as satire? Man, existentialist horror is difficult.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Would the socioeconomic alienation described in the works of Marx count as existentialist horror?

I'm only half-kidding. It's certainly not fictional that a proletarian existence stresses people the gently caress out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Why has nobody ever used Warren ellis' idea that heaven and hell are just two war engines powered by souls? Learning that after my death all my individuality and personality would be broken and rendered down to metaphysical fuel would be plenty horrifying.
The idea that gods are literally powered in some way by belief or souls is like a generation old at this point. If you think "shadow manipulators of the night are behind all the evil men do" is trite, I think "gods get MP from people doing praise rituals' has to be like doubly so.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Otherwise, something for those more outspoken and hypocritical, maybe how about that universal forces in existence not only exist, but that they favor the general jersey-shore edutainment favoring manchild and you (the nonpersonal game-character you) as the shining outspoken example of intellectual prowess are actually making things more miserable for everyone around you? Or is that too harsh as satire? Man, existentialist horror is difficult.
I think this one has some legs, although perhaps a more honest way to put it would be that the overachieving superintelligent monkey mind obsessed with its own cleverness doesn't accomplish a lot. You're supposed to put all that wit into writing some good solid novels or some beautiful music, or walking the path of Norman Borlaug, but instead all you sons of bitches keep using your double-overclocked superbrains to give yourself anxiety.

I actually think this came up in The Maxx, the hipster girl broke down in tears at the prospect that her big cosmic revelation was basically a Hallmark Card about goodness and understanding and love.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

The idea that gods are literally powered in some way by belief or souls is like a generation old at this point. If you think "shadow manipulators of the night are behind all the evil men do" is trite, I think "gods get MP from people doing praise rituals' has to be like doubly so.

Not power from praise, but the souls of the dead - when humans die, their overall moral weighting (:can:) pushes their soul towards "Heaven" or "Hell". Whichever side gets your soul, it's broken downed used as ammunition for extraordinary weapons in an endless war.

Praise doesn't matter, behaviour only changes what colour of laser comes out of the gun you're powering, and all of human morality only has any effect on which side gets more ammunition out of this particular factory-planet.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DigitalRaven posted:

Not power from praise, but the souls of the dead - when humans die, their overall moral weighting (:can:) pushes their soul towards "Heaven" or "Hell". Whichever side gets your soul, it's broken downed used as ammunition for extraordinary weapons in an endless war.

Praise doesn't matter, behaviour only changes what colour of laser comes out of the gun you're powering, and all of human morality only has any effect on which side gets more ammunition out of this particular factory-planet.
Extraordinary weapons? Piffle. No sir, if we're going to make this metaphor work, it needs to be cheap, low-grade ammunition, ideally with some overtones of being banned by Space Geneva Convention, just so we feel extra bad about ourselves.

Let's move it up a notch by saying things suck because Hell wants Bad Flavor Frag Rounds out of our immortal souls; it's just that any improvement would be just as bad, because we'd just be putting out Good Flavor Frag Rounds instead. Both sides are equally bad, when you get down to it.

vvv- the thing with Cthulhu is that Cthulhu doesn't give a gently caress about you. He's in a coma on Earth but could give a poo poo about humanity. At best his cult is some of his hangers-on having manipulated humanity in pre-history; more likely, it's just everyone periodically getting a big dose of his cursed dreams semi-regularly. The guy who drove a boat into him was the equivalent of banging your head when you stagger out of bed to take a late night piss.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

You mean that the revelation was that simple?

Also, quantum mechanics aren't actively working to kill you. Cthulhu sorta is.

Besides, we might now about horrible things like war in the abstract, but the lived experience of them can still break the man. Non euclidean geometry: you might now about it in the abstract, but appearing in a location made with it might still literally blow your mind.