Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

a hole-y ghost posted:

What is brown pink suited for? I've never used it

anywhere from brown to pink, baby

honest answer its a very good, unconventional seeming but very natural for flesh tones, OR earth tones! it used to be made of berries, and maybe still is sometimes, somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Some inktobers I didn't post here yet.

Inktober 6

Inktober 7

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 15, 2017

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is gouache safe to dispose of down the bathroom sink? How about its waste water?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Argue posted:

Is gouache safe to dispose of down the bathroom sink? How about its waste water?

Every watercolorist I know washes their brushes in the sink and Non-acrylic gouache is essentially opaque watercolor. Also since you can re-activate dried gouache with water (just like watercolor) you really don't have a need to dispose of paint most of the time. So the minimal amounts you put down the sink won't do much. It's water soluble so it's not gonna get stuck in your pipes either.

Not that there's zero risk, some of the high quality stuff will still have heavy metal pigments but they lack the corrosive-ness of oils or the plastic-y ness of acrylics. Course if you are using earthtones then dirt is dirt. All and all I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Not sure about acrylic gouache, I don't have much experience with those.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Todays Inktober is brought to you by ballpoint, photoshop, and nuclear radiation.

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

Painted another skateboard. Some kind of trippy riff on the creation of adam. Acrylic paint.

I forgot to take photos of it before applying the epoxy coating so it's ultra glossy and difficult to photograph. The hot yellow in god's face on the right there is washed out, looks white. Oh well. Click the image for some more pictures and detail shots without the wheels.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light
I made a little looping gif of one of my cut outs. I think they show the pieces better than still images.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Oil painters:

What substrates and grounds do you use? Just wondering because I've pretty much always done Liquitex Acrylic Gesso over masonite or cotton duck canvas, but I wanted to see what combos everyone uses and what the pros and cons are.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I paint on Ampersand gessoboard. I'll be real, I despise canvas.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Pick posted:

I paint on Ampersand gessoboard. I'll be real, I despise canvas.

What don't you like about canvas?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Yeah, I do the lion's share of my stuff on rigid board. If canvas, it needs to be firmly affixed to a wall or board while I paint. Can't stand painting on a bouncy surface.

e: I guess what I was wondering is: anyone familiar with oil ground or traditional gesso? I've been thinking to switch to oil ground for smaller paintings, and wanted to see if anyone knows what the good brands are. I heard that Gamblin is good when knifed on, but looking at others' experience with Gamblin colors, I'm sort of hesitant.

And traditional gesso sounds like a fun little project to try out.

a hole-y ghost fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 19, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

a hole-y ghost posted:

And traditional gesso sounds like a fun little project to try out.

If you are going traditional, go all the way traditional. Go with rabbit skin glue, just like ye olden days. It will make the canvas much more taut than acrylic gesso and generally feels much nicer to paint on (after sizing the canvas you can play it like a drum which is an added bonus).

Though you'll want to stretch your own canvas if you do that since most pre-made canvases will be gesso'd with acrylic already. If you use the glue, only use the glue and dont mix it with any other kind of gesso or anything acrylic at all.

It's definitely more work but it's also kinda cool to be sizing canvas just like the old masters did it. Worth trying at least once to see if you like it.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Inktober 17 "Pickled Punk"

Fountain pen and photoshop.

Hmm.

Too subtle, or not subtle enough?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Oct 19, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

smallmouth posted:

What don't you like about canvas?

I hate any give.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

perfect for all hallow's ween

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
what i have been doing is just painting over existing paintings of mine until i get one i'm satisfied with, which will hopefully give them additional value when they are x-ray laser scanned in......1000 YEARS

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Inktober 21 is Frankenstein Drinking Tea

This is actually a reworking of a previous inktober but with a different ink wash background.

Inktober 22 - Do you even lacrosse, bro?

Inktober 23 "Deadite"

Inktober 24 "Don't Feed The Trolls"

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 26, 2017

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
First wood carving project done, the poo poo is fun will carve again

Maybe I'll try to get an inktober in right under deadline...

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Two more for inktober. Almost caught up.

Adding a background via ink wash. This was not done in photoshop.

It's "denril" - which is translucent and lots of fun to draw on. I can't explain it other than to say it handles ink like nothing else. Still getting used to the surface qualities. Ink takes MUCH longer to dry out because the surface isn't very porous at all but rather slick / plastic.

Inktober 29

"The candle that burns twice as bright..."

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Oct 31, 2017

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Still so far away of getting my anatomy right

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Inktober 30 is dedicated to Yolandi of Die Antwoord.

Inktober 31 is a girl with her pet crow

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 6, 2017

Hellbeard
Apr 8, 2002

Please report me if you see me post in GBS so a moderator may bulldoze my account like a palestinian school.

goodness posted:

This and all your posts are so good!

Thanks man! That's very nice of you to say.

Here's some more stuff from between then and now:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

After Inktober it is kinda nice to get back to graphite.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
tfw you realize that you don't actually know how the head works and what you thought you knew is just a decade-long iconographic lie you told yourself

No really, though, it's fun

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

scribble I did during the monthly atlanta animator and comic artist meetup.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Painted this in gouache and acrylic on illustration board:

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.

Neon Noodle posted:

This is a very sweet thing

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew
After lurking for a year, really nervous to post here but :justpost:

Michael Burnham (Star Trek Discovery) speed painting during an episode (ink/watercolor)

A lil' samurai commission (ink/watercolor)

Hidden for nude lady with a popsicle (pencil/ink)

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Neon Noodle posted:

holy poo poo i love all of this

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

After lurking for a year, really nervous to post here but :justpost:

Michael Burnham (Star Trek Discovery) speed painting during an episode (ink/watercolor)

A lil' samurai commission (ink/watercolor)

Hidden for nude lady with a popsicle (pencil/ink)
These are good, keep pushing yourself and keep noticing your own progress!

another week, another nude drawing

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

Friends Are Evil posted:

Some new studies.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552870&userid=169106

Good Goon Art.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

pixelbaron posted:

It's finally done.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552870&userid=148734

Good Goon Art.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

dupersaurus posted:

I'm not resolving to do more drawing this year, but I am resolving to take more of what I do draw beyond the sketchbook

I might be closer to building that bottle jack press than I thought I was...

dupersaurus posted:

Back on the printmaking wagon

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3552870&userid=188650

Good Goon Art.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

scribbles with micron and pencil. need to get some color markers at some point if i'm gonna keep doing this.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

:hfive:

Bottlejack press on hold due to new, more expensive medium

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

dupersaurus posted:

Bottlejack press on hold due to new, more expensive medium

Is that walnut? Because that would indeed be expensive!

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Trabant posted:

Is that walnut? Because that would indeed be expensive!

Small piece, fortunately

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

lol dang, v. cool

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Starting another mural across the street from the old one. This one is at a brewery called Amber Ox. Only have a very small window to finish this one however. Had to put the final touches on hold for the last one in order to have the time to finish this one before they open.

Here is the other one ATM.

The arm / elbow still needs muscle tone and the bracelet needs to be fixed. Upper right corner of mandala is off a bit too.

Update:

Also - though unrelated. Does anyone have any strong feelings of the new line of Cintiqs (mobile studio) vs. the Cintiq companion?

Lastly. does anyone know of any wacom Black Friday sales for er.... the above mentioned Cintiq models?

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio du Cambodge
Dec 3, 2007

I painted another skateboard. I wanna add something to it, not sure what, some text or some little detail in black...

Based on a figure drawing sketch i did ages ago: