Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

How much technology did you put in that suit insulin pump?

Soo much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Barry's new suit is made of Borg nano-probes.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Additionally: in real life, no human being could run that fast.

my bro, let me tell you, about a little thing called the speed force

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also goddamn everything about the segment was perfect. From Barry screaming for help through a long distance call to the ridiculous Inspector Gadget gags. Just perfect.

Still not sold on the :thunk:er though.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the opening scenes of this episode were excellent. Hopefully the show keeps leaning into the fun character stuff instead of being so grim

Yakmouth
Jan 20, 2016

So... are there a lot of famous Malware Billionaires out in the world?

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Everybody seems to be missing the most important suit upgrade. Examine the HUD carefully; between Deadlock and Flotation: "R-SK8S." Cisco gave the Flash roller skates.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Nameless Pete posted:

Everybody seems to be missing the most important suit upgrade. Examine the HUD carefully; between Deadlock and Flotation: "R-SK8S." Cisco gave the Flash roller skates.

If it works for Iron Man

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
I hope that's rocket skates for the next time Barry loses his speed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murphys Law posted:

How about an episode where everybody turns into Wells for some reason. You'd have Wells, Flash Wells, Iris Wells, Cisco Wells, Killer Frost Wells.
That would be fantastic.

Murphys Law posted:

Oh, shoot, I didn't even think of it that way. I was thinking of Cavanagh playing all the characters and interacting with different versions of himself, but your idea sounds fun too.
A body swap episode is always good too.

Vietnamwees posted:

I'm still watching on the West coast, but did Barry really just dismantle all those grenade fragments by hand?
Isn't that absolutely not how grenades work?

Xarn posted:

Iris going "If we aren't on the same page people could die" *looks at the therapist (camera*) "Metaphorically" was too much for me and I went to watch the time idiots instead.
That stuff was pretty dumb. You'd think that both of them would have become pretty good at covering up secret's by now.

Loser_Rex posted:

How Wally, the Flash with no tech upgrades to his suit, wasn't the one to beat the villain I'll never know.
I was expecting that to happen. It was so obvious. And then it turns out he's just... sitting around doing nothing that whole time?

Inkspot posted:

Listing off all of the funerals they've been to over the past three years was a particularly strong moment.
Actually I'd expect the therapist to be ready for that. Haven't a lot of people in this city died in the last few years from all the super-hero stuff? And I'm assuming that she knew their backgrounds, right? Like, Barry works with the police, Iris is the daughter of a detective. They're going to have known people who've been killed by supervillains.

muscles like this! posted:

I think a problem with Wally's new hair is that it isn't quite long enough so it looks weird kind of tucked into the sides of the cowl.
My first impression on seeing it was that it reminded me of a Hitler haircut.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just watched the S4 premiere last night, and I feel like I'm the only person who didn't really really like it?

I am glad that it seems they're just wiping the slate somewhat clean with Barry, and leaving all his increasingly terrible baggage behind. I just think it's boring to have Iris working at Star Labs, the writers have never seemed to figure out what they want to do with her and this just feels like the next stage of :effort: The cliffhanger from last season was just handwaved away, which I can forgive if the show becomes fun again. It still felt really lazy. The Caitlin/Killer Frost story continues to be incredibly bad/dull.

On the plus side, Wally was great, but he still feels really mistreated by the writers by just getting limbs broken every week. Actually, thinking back on it, he was much better in his Legends cameo than he was in most of the episode of the Flash. :sigh: Also I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Wells this season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tiggum posted:

Isn't that absolutely not how grenades work?

Grenades are shrapnel dispersion systems so they got that right. What I don't know is if the blast wave from the explosion is strong enough to hurt someone as close as Joe was, but something something Speed Force.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

howe_sam posted:

Grenades are shrapnel dispersion systems so they got that right. What I don't know is if the blast wave from the explosion is strong enough to hurt someone as close as Joe was, but something something Speed Force.

Yeah, but AFAIK any semi-modern grenade should have waaaaay more shrapnel + the amount of tension that was implied in Barry almost not getting a fragment that was gonna miss anyway made me lol.

But really, that is not anywhere close to being the most stupid thing in the episode, so :shrug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Xarn posted:

But really, that is not anywhere close to being the most stupid thing in the episode, so :shrug:
She could have just reached down and pulled the tube out of her drat insulin pump!!!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

FactsAreUseless posted:

She could have just reached down and pulled the tube out of her drat insulin pump!!!

insulin force

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

insulin force
Glucose Goblin will appear in episode 6.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Well, if recent set pictures aren't lying we know the identity of one version of Wells this season Earth X Flash

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Chokes McGee posted:

insulin force

The pump was made out of goes diabetic.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Wally's getting written to the level of occasional relevance that he would be on his way to Legends of Tomorrow, but he's probably too competent.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

OB_Juan posted:

Wally's getting written to the level of occasional relevance that he would be on his way to Legends of Tomorrow, but he's probably too competent.

Is becoming a Legend the fate of all non-title character heroes on the CW? Because if the team picked up Wally and Miss Martian that would actually be kinda' cool.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

OB_Juan posted:

Remember that time he stepped in front of a truck to try to get super powers?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Tiggum posted:

It kind of worked! I mean, he has superpowers now!

In other news, I'm slowly warming up (:haw:) to the Incredible Killer Frost. I want her to be a crime fighting anti-heroine though instead of just randomly turning into Evil Caitlyn. Give me Killer Frost working with Team Flash god dammit :mad:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

8one6 posted:

Is becoming a Legend the fate of all non-title character heroes on the CW? Because if the team picked up Wally and Miss Martian that would actually be kinda' cool.

I dropped Supergirl but I love Sharon Leal. Did they ever use Miss Martian to talk about intersectionality at all? Or is the show still peak white feminism?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Koalas March posted:

I dropped Supergirl but I love Sharon Leal. Did they ever use Miss Martian to talk about intersectionality at all? Or is the show still peak white feminism?

All of her plot lines on the show revolved around J'onn (she nearly turns him into a White Martian, she needs J'onn's help to get out of a psychic whammy, she needs J'onn and crew help to evade her White Martian "husband") so probably not?

As best I can recall. The show's only touched on race once, in the James-centric episode right before the Daxamite invasion last year

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

howe_sam posted:

All of her plot lines on the show revolved around J'onn (she nearly turns him into a White Martian, she needs J'onn's help to get out of a psychic whammy, she needs J'onn and crew help to evade her White Martian "husband") so probably not?

As best I can recall. The show's only touched on race once, in the James-centric episode right before the Daxamite invasion last year

Uggggh, thanks. I dropped it after the nonsense replacing James with her IRL boyfriend. It gave me flashbacks to everyone (read: racist fans on twitter) campaigning to replace Iris with Caitlin as Barry's LI.

I'm also disappointed because it's supposed to be a great feminist superhero show and I had hoped adding Sharon Leal would give the opportunity to talk about women of color (lol, because Miss Martian) but I'm now it's s3 and they haven't taken it.

That's cool though, because in a few months (?) I'll have Thunder & Lightning.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Koalas March posted:

That's cool though, because in a few months (?) I'll have Thunder & Lightning.

Oh yeah, Black Lightning is coming out soon! Awesome!

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

8one6 posted:

Oh yeah, Black Lightning is coming out soon! Awesome!

I'm stoked yo! Glad I'm not the only one. I felt all alone for awhile lol. I'm actually bummed though, because they said it won't cross over. Like ok, of course the "black show" is the only one that doesn't get to be in the Flarrowverse. Wally, Vixen. Martian Manhunter and Vibe are our only heroes of color, and none of them are leads. (I think there's a new guy on Arrow who is Latinx, but I dropped that show) It might sound like a lot when you list them but imagine that compared to the list of everyone else. I also think it's be cool for Wally to see another black Hero, in his prime, taking the lead and kicking rear end. But oh yeah, Wally doesn't get character development. ugh.

And then we have Firestorm... who is a black guy with a guy in his body, so basically Get Out but nicer. Also same white dude who goes in his head, told him to use his "natural athleticism". Still makes me cringe.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Koalas March posted:

I'm stoked yo! Glad I'm not the only one. I felt all alone for awhile lol. I'm actually bummed though, because they said it won't cross over.

The rest of that is valid but I wouldn't give up hope on this point just yet, they said that about Supergirl as well.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

And this upcoming episode is her helping J'onn find another of the last Green Martians. Touching on minority issues with her character is a bit odd given that she's part of the majority "race" while J'onn is in the minority so anytime those sorts of issues come up J'onn is always relevant to the discussion and it'd be strange is he wasn't.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Tiggum posted:

I know what I said, and stand by it.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Just a reminder that black hair is a political and complicated subject.

If I had to guess, they're flat ironing it (to me he looked very Pete Wentz, who is actually biracial lol) because people were bitching about his hair looking "nappy" in the suit and poo poo.

Yeah I'm aware, I thought his hair was fine before is all. And the fact nobody commented on what was a pretty major change, I mean Caitlin couldn't change her hair without it being commented on. It was just jarring. It wasn't even like that the whole episode, was it?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Koalas March posted:

I'm stoked yo! Glad I'm not the only one. I felt all alone for awhile lol. I'm actually bummed though, because they said it won't cross over. Like ok, of course the "black show" is the only one that doesn't get to be in the Flarrowverse. Wally, Vixen. Martian Manhunter and Vibe are our only heroes of color, and none of them are leads. (I think there's a new guy on Arrow who is Latinx, but I dropped that show) It might sound like a lot when you list them but imagine that compared to the list of everyone else. I also think it's be cool for Wally to see another black Hero, in his prime, taking the lead and kicking rear end. But oh yeah, Wally doesn't get character development. ugh.

And then we have Firestorm... who is a black guy with a guy in his body, so basically Get Out but nicer. Also same white dude who goes in his head, told him to use his "natural athleticism". Still makes me cringe.

That might be a good thing, that universe isn't so healthy lately. Arrow is barely limping along, Flash was sucking and Legends is garbage. This last episode of Flash was probably the best one since Season 1 even with all it's flaws. They need to keep up the fun tone they brought back.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RandomBlue posted:

That might be a good thing, that universe isn't so healthy lately. Arrow is barely limping along, Flash was sucking and Legends is garbage. This last episode of Flash was probably the best one since Season 1 even with all it's flaws. They need to keep up the fun tone they brought back.

Legends is not garbage tyvm.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

Legends is not garbage tyvm.

Anyone who hates Legends at this point is either still snooty about Season 1, or just literally hates fun :colbert:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

nine-gear crow posted:

Anyone who hates Legends at this point is either still snooty about Season 1, or just literally hates fun :colbert:

You make a very good point, I do hate fun but strangely I love funions.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

RandomBlue posted:

You make a very good point, I do hate fun but strangely I love funions.

I've checked the Vingt Diagram on this one and I can't make head or tail of it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

irlZaphod posted:

I just watched the S4 premiere last night, and I feel like I'm the only person who didn't really really like it?

I am glad that it seems they're just wiping the slate somewhat clean with Barry, and leaving all his increasingly terrible baggage behind. I just think it's boring to have Iris working at Star Labs, the writers have never seemed to figure out what they want to do with her and this just feels like the next stage of :effort: The cliffhanger from last season was just handwaved away, which I can forgive if the show becomes fun again. It still felt really lazy. The Caitlin/Killer Frost story continues to be incredibly bad/dull.

On the plus side, Wally was great, but he still feels really mistreated by the writers by just getting limbs broken every week. Actually, thinking back on it, he was much better in his Legends cameo than he was in most of the episode of the Flash. :sigh: Also I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Wells this season.

Yeah, I agree with all that. I'm glad that it's not as sad anymore, but that still leaves the bad writing. They don't know what to do with half the characters, Barry has had very little growth over the course of the series, and the humor just isn't hitting.

I'm starting to think that the grim, depressing tone of the past couple seasons was just a convenient scapegoat, and the real problem is that the show is kinda bad.

Koalas March posted:

Wild Dog is Latino, Ragman was Jewish(but he got written out), Mr. Terrific, and John Diggle

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, I agree with all that. I'm glad that it's not as sad anymore, but that still leaves the bad writing. They don't know what to do with half the characters, Barry has had very little growth over the course of the series, and the humor just isn't hitting.

2 more seasons and the writers are going to be sitting around asking "Ok.. so what do we do with 37 speedsters now?"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

RandomBlue posted:

2 more seasons and the writers are going to be sitting around asking "Ok.. so what do we do with 37 speedsters now?"

Make a new speedforce!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

RandomBlue posted:

The more that I think about, I'm starting to think they don't know what to do with any of the characters. Cisco and Joe are pretty much unchanged from the first episode. Kaitlin had zero development until the terrible Killer Frost plotline which has always been a mess. Barry is just all over the place. He spent a year desperately trying to prevent the love of his life from being murdered, found out that he would turn completely mustache-twirlingly evil if things went wrong, killed his evil self, sacrificed himself to save the city, spent six months in hell, got broken out with some kind of unstuck in time PTSD, and the final conclusion is that he's just a happy-go-lucky guy now? And Wally *this sentence cut for running time*

Honestly, Iris is the best off. They floundered a bit when they tried to give her a life outside of Barry. But now that they're committed to her role as essentially being in charge of Barry's emotions she has a clear role in the show and coherent motivation.