Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I've never seen any of the Saw movies; I vaguely remember the first one being more of a psychological thriller with the "one of these two guys has to cut their foot off for the other to live" thing. At what point did it tip over into the weird-rear end torture maze stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've never seen any of the Saw movies; I vaguely remember the first one being more of a psychological thriller with the "one of these two guys has to cut their foot off for the other to live" thing. At what point did it tip over into the weird-rear end torture maze stuff?

Saw 2

Then starting with Saw 3 the people in the "games" never really had a chance to survive. It is basically a gory Rube Goldberg simulator, similar to Final Destination.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Evil Mastermind posted:

At what point did it tip over into the weird-rear end torture maze stuff?

When they tried to crank out a new movie every year in order to cash in while the series was hot.

So any sort of intriguing plot and character development became secondary to the crazy death traps that could be farmed out to multiple design groups and then easily cobbled together to make a movie.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Which is a shame because there was some real potential with Jigsaw and his lackeys, even the one they reveal at the end of the last movie who did nothing at all but they played the Theme tune anyways like any of cares.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I'll go to bat for the first Saw. It's a decent little locked room thriller, and going in blind with a packed crowd on opening night was one of the most fun experiences I've had at the movies.

That being said, I can't remember a franchise that turns so sharply into a quality brick wall. To be honest, the franchises success has always been somewhat of a mystery to me. Between the soap opera-caliber acting, paper-thin characters, and deep journey up its own rear end in terms of woldbuilding, there hasn't been a single entry post-original that I didn't find completely tedious to sit through.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Fart City posted:

I'll go to bat for the first Saw. It's a decent little locked room thriller, and going in blind with a packed crowd on opening night was one of the most fun experiences I've had at the movies.

That being said, I can't remember a franchise that turns so sharply into a quality brick wall. To be honest, the franchises success has always been somewhat of a mystery to me. Between the soap opera-caliber acting, paper-thin characters, and deep journey up its own rear end in terms of woldbuilding, there hasn't been a single entry post-original that I didn't find completely tedious to sit through.

Yeah, they all came out in when I was in my early 20s and my "gore is awesome" phase. Now, I tried to watch the beginning of 4 (I think that it the one that opens with the autopsy of Jigsaw) when it was on TV recently, and was like "this is gory for no reason" and just turned it off.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The one where the death trap is "two guys saw a woman in half because she cheated on both of them" was the lowest point for the SAW franchise. IMO

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MariusLecter posted:

The one where the death trap is "two guys saw a woman in half because she cheated on both of them" was the lowest point for the SAW franchise. IMO

Completely agreed.

Saw 2 has some really fun stuff but overall the series is complete garbage and its a shame there are people who could possibly give a poo poo about this reboot.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I never had any interest in the Saw series, and still have not seen one. I guess I just like my horror on a shoe string budget

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Pretty sure they paid the actors in Silent Hill Revalations with shoe strings.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

I never had any interest in the Saw series, and still have not seen one. I guess I just like my horror on a shoe string budget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfgtAlpnEf8

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Iron Crowned posted:

And the director then went on to fast and the furious and aquaman

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MariusLecter posted:

Which one was that again? I know 2 had the needle pit and 3 had the brain surgery but after that I don't remember what scenes happen in which movies.

Well I remember 7 had Chester from Linkin Park in it :smith: RIP Chester

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Also, and not to keep kicking the dog here, but Saw has some of the worst editing and cinematography of any successful major release I've ever seen. It's rapid-fire flash editing was okay in the first film, but became intolerable in the sequels. The series' aesthetics are really awful overall.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Edit not quote

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I got it, by the way

Hollow Man 2

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Low Desert Punk posted:

I got it, by the way

Hollow Man 2

I got it by the way

Troll 2

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
they should just watch the Buttefly Effect again

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hockles posted:

I got it by the way

Troll 2

I've got it, by the way:

Jingle All The Way 2

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I've got it, by the way.

Honey I Blew Up the Kid.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've got it, by the way:

Jingle All The Way 2

I got it, by the way

Short Circuit 2

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

SleepCousinDeath posted:

they should just watch the Buttefly Effect again

I got it, by the way.

Butterfly Effect 2

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I got it by the way.

Flatliners (2017)

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

If they don't do The Book of Henry at some point, I'm gonna be upset

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If they don't do The Book of Henry at some point, I'm gonna be upset

Its almost a lock for worst of 2017

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
I like this podcast a lot but if I listen to it while baked at night I'll fall asleep because its generally chill and I think Erics voice is kinda soothing/cute.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

GrandpaPants posted:

Cary Elwes deserved a better career.

he peaked with fake southern accent nightcrawler guy in Twister, sorry

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've got it, by the way.

American Psycho 2

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Has anyone requested Death Spa? Is it too similar to Killer Workout? The premise is wacky and theres a scene where a yuppie seductively eats asparagus.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

bobkatt013 posted:

Its almost a lock for worst of 2017

Naomi Watts was in one of the best AND worst things of 2017, she has range

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

I've got it, by the way.

Honey I Blew Up the Kid.

Honey We Shrunk Ourselves, the direct-to-video second sequel.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

RobotDogPolice posted:

Has anyone requested Death Spa? Is it too similar to Killer Workout? The premise is wacky and theres a scene where a yuppie seductively eats asparagus.

I coulda sworn the guys had a live episode for Death Spa in the chamber but maybe it was just a screening. In that case, they really need to get on Death Spa. That movie is absolutely bonkers.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The actual scene is super goofy and includes terrible ADR as a bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzKYNZY9Hpk

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Think they'd do an On-Screen of Flatliners(2017)?
Ellen Page was pretty good in that.

E:
I'd do bi-curious stuff with Andrew.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 19, 2017

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

bruh that ALF joke slayed me

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Flatliners is so bad and flat that it's almost inane to do a show on it, the movie is just that goddamn worthless

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

God drat I love the Huey, Dewey, and Louie voices so much

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Soup du Jour posted:

God drat I love the Huey, Dewey, and Louie voices so much

They sound like really bad Cartman impressions.

e: I'm not saying the impressions are bad, it's just what they sound like to me. I didn't watch DuckTales growing up.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Disgraceful.

I'm deleting all my bookmarks and saved episodes and never listening to this travesty of a podcast ever again. Bob Dole is a great American hero and these chucklefucks went and took shots at Bob Dole. How dare they do a Bob Dole impression

and speak in the first person!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I've got it, by the way. 

Starship Troopers 2.