Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Apparently there are like, A LOT of licensed STALKER books, only available in the Slavic lands. Anyone read any of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

live free or dont posted:

I liked Misery after modding it a bit to change ammo and repair costs. Jupiter was over the top with instakill psy attacks and the accuracy of the enemies was over the top. By changing a few things it was still "immersive" and challenging but not super frustrating. The F5 F9 dance got a bit stupid after getting insta headshot by enemies really far away.

I was thinking about trying a one life (is it called Iron Man? I mean completely restarting after a death) run in Call of Chernobyl. I played it with I think AO3 last year but I was wondering if it is possible to play CoC with Misery and AO3? I want to do total Free Play with additional survival elements and cool guns.

Call of misery is a thing that exists but get ready to mod the poo poo out of it if you want it to be reasonable. I bounced off of misery 2.0 before les miserables, but it did at least feel like I could have gotten somewhere with enough F9. Call of misery made it worse. It was the only time I've felt like I ended up in a flat-out death spiral after three days ingame because I couldn't loving afford to eat and had no opportunity with my stuff to get money that wouldn't just cost twice as many resources as it got me. Also I couldn't walk more than 50 meters in most directions without getting one shotted by a chimera that would see me no matter what I did, because CoM apparently thought CoC's idea of having mutants like chimeras only emerge at night was less cool than the F9 experience it wants to be.

It took johnwayne's tweaks after I complained about that and some further digging I did on my own to get the mod around where I wanted it (basically just call of Chernobyl with misery's content and graphics).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I seem to remember a mod that changed the names of all of the weapons to their real-world countparts. Anyone know what that mod is? I'd like to use it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

PureRok posted:

I seem to remember a mod that changed the names of all of the weapons to their real-world countparts. Anyone know what that mod is? I'd like to use it.

You're in luck, quite literally all of them does! Ie. Stcop, AO, whats the third big weapon mod? And (ofc) shoker! Personally, I'd use shoker if you are going to use Pripyat with no extra mods but better sky-boxes.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You're in luck, quite literally all of them does! Ie. Stcop, AO, whats the third big weapon mod? And (ofc) shoker! Personally, I'd use shoker if you are going to use Pripyat with no extra mods but better sky-boxes.

Your posted reminded me I didn't even say which game. For CoP. So Shoker is the one you recommend, then?

Edit: Tried Shoker. Install was in Cyrillic (I assume, it was actually gibberish broken alt+alphabet) and then broke my game. I don't really want to deal with installers and stuff. I just want to copy some files from an archive and be done with it.

PureRok fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 6, 2017

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Were any of the STALKER novels translated other than Southern Comfort and Northern Passage?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

PureRok posted:

Your posted reminded me I didn't even say which game. For CoP. So Shoker is the one you recommend, then?

Edit: Tried Shoker. Install was in Cyrillic (I assume, it was actually gibberish broken alt+alphabet) and then broke my game. I don't really want to deal with installers and stuff. I just want to copy some files from an archive and be done with it.

Oh? That's unexpected... well, yes, I would recommend shoker (if it didn't crash for you. Why does poo poo always break on Fridays?). Also the gibberish is normal ;) the buttons in the installer amount to "yes" "no" and "cancel" tho.

Anyway, this http://www.moddb.com/mods/original-weapons-renewal-3/downloads/owr-3
is what you wanted, a plug and play archive (if i remember correctly). OWR3 is the one I didn't remember earlier.
(Didn't one of the authors use to post in this thread? It was either jketiynu or e.nigma42)

Remember to check your fsgame.ltx file, inside the line [ $game_data$=true ] should read true. If it's =false, change it. It might have been the reason your game crashed earlier, might not. Welcome to modding s.t.a.l.k.e.r.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Speaking of STCoP, does anyone know if the "Here is the latest Ver. 5 all in one!... built from the ground up for CoC!" work for regular CoP without problems?

Or do I need to use the smash together "Here is russian 2.8.0.7 Now here are mediafire links to a fix patch and an english patch" option whenever I decide to try this. Considering between other distractions I always take 18 centuries in any given area :v:

Though honestly, I probably would not mind an Elmer Fudd's paradise style mod. Where Dogs, Pigs and their mutant variants are nerfed, and shotguns are buffed to Ao3 style damage. The end.

Maybe throw in the 2U actually having godly recoil control at Fine tools or under to give it some legs, rather than "Now that you've come back from pripyat and modified it to -110% recoil... It still has the worst recoil in the game!". Which mods like Ao3 leave the unfortunate case (Despite using smaller, less damaging bullets)... And also add a fancy folding out stock animation that makes it take three times as long to pull out than any other assault rifle on top :doh:

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Anyone else think stalker 2 on the fox engine is a real neato idea, even if we all know it would never happen? Vehicles, animals, people all work.

Better stealth for avoiding mutant herds or sneaking up on a bandit to pull his gold teeth.

Physics! The ability to switch between throwing bolts for some anomalies or tushkano heads for others. Throw meat to get mutants away. Throw itchers to make peoples' noses bleed.

In short,
:words:

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

"Wouldn't it be neat if _____ was in the Fox engine" has been the video game wet dream since Ground Zeroes came out. Unfortunately, the engine is held by a company that will probably never open it up to modders, or even license it out except for the few games Konami is still publishing. I hope you like soccer.

But yeah. It would be sweet if someone made a STALKER in the Fox Engine. Hell, it'd be sweet if it was in Arma 3 or Unreal 4, or anything that is not the rickety-rear end, rusty and poorly aged X-ray engine.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Just taking a moment to say how much I appreciate that vanilla CoP means 90% of Bandits are not nonstop constant hostile to you personally. And how if you don't be too much of a dick about it, you can side with a faction without making the other 120% shoot on sight forever because oh right, you're the guy who defused hostage situations and took out the horrible murder beasts okay you get a pass.

For a game you mostly hear about how "So hardcore compared to most games, amiright?", it was a real breath of fresh air to see that bandits would rather hang out, sell me vodka, and buy a mostly new gun three times better than the one they already have. Rather than try to constantly kill me for my rusty AK worse than theirs and a loaf of bread, or late game "I bet I can take that guy wearing an Exo-suit menacingly switching his super gun to grenade mode!"

So I hope any pipe dream official future Stalker project keeps that. Because most modders sure as hell don't even if it's just a weapons mod, even at the cost of breaking the poo poo out of quests and basic NPC logics.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Is Radium still a thing or was that project stopped?

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Monolith. posted:

Is Radium still a thing or was that project stopped?

The cognitive dissonance between your avatar and username bothers me greatly.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

He's the Monolithian Candidate

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Killswitch posted:

The cognitive dissonance between your avatar and username bothers me greatly.

Strider just needs a good break in life, okay?

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I'm running Call of Chernobyl with the Call of Misery mod. Installing the Arsenal Overhaul for CoM causes a crash on load, I think it has something to do with the number of items that shopkeepers hold. This is also what a line in the crash log suggests.

Anyone have any solutions for it?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Bullfrog posted:

I'm running Call of Chernobyl with the Call of Misery mod. Installing the Arsenal Overhaul for CoM causes a crash on load, I think it has something to do with the number of items that shopkeepers hold. This is also what a line in the crash log suggests.

Double check all the version numbers, I believe CoC got updated recently. CoC-Misery might not be compatible yet? Something sure isn't compatible with something else in there, evidently.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Bullfrog posted:

What is the error message? Never used AO with CoM, but STCoM is good and stable.

There's now an English translation for Last Day for CoM which includes STCoM and a lot of other content including new quests and tasks. If you're just starting out, you should give it a look.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Is CoM less, uh, miserable than Misery 2.2? I'm pretty bored with CoC by now but was pretty turned off by CoP Misery. Can I play CoM without spending half my time quickloading and/or sperging through menus?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Section Z posted:

So up until now, Controllers have been manageable for me in CoP. Sudden surprise and pain, but then dealt with thanks to the fact breaking line of sight means they can't spam their attack so hard I don't have time to even throw a hand grenade. Even worked out in plot moments where they get a head start trying to control an entire room full of soldiers.

But wowie zowie, controllers in an open field (with a bloodsucker on top) are incredibly rude boys.

Not because of the psychic powers direct damage, oh no. The fact they interrupt your animations, and are tough enough to tank a Vog underbarrel grenade to the face and then pop off a psy blast while the explosion is still fading.

So I'm stuck with it trying to do the reload underbarrel animation of my gun over and over as it brings my gun back out, until my hammering the mode switch button finally lets me shoot loving bullets again. (I had already emptied out my handgun, and see above for animation interrupt spam). All while also dancing around avoiding a Bloodsucker. Normally controllers have been sorta kinda a pain, but being able to break LoS has let me handle them after the initial fuckups.

"Controller in an open field" kind of undercuts my tactics if I want to actually take them out (and I wanted to save the random loner, alas gone too soon) :v: I actually tried running away at first, but he just followed me over the hill while I was fending off the bloodsucker who could catch up with my loot and plot coupons burdened rear end and that was that. So went for the direct approach rather load a five minutes ago save, because gently caress this guy.

End of the day, it felt like my greatest danger was the janky controls rather than the deadly psychic and invisible mutants. "Hey, hey game. If you could just stop trying to slowly reload the grenade launcher permanently attached to my Storm every single time I get mind blasted and let me shoot bullets, that would be great. There we go, problem solved"

I've been trying the whole "Carry a handgun!" thing to cut down on weight, but the March and Steppe eagle just feel unimpressive against wildlife and mutants above rats. Though handguns still works wonders against armored zombies and Mercs. I guess that comes with the territory when they still flinch after getting shot while wearing Exo-armor, instead of feeding my gun barrel to a dog doing a football tackle into my chest only to watch them circle for another pass.

That was certainly a bright spot :unsmith: I was feeling so down on the handguns not working out for me, then I realized they still kick rear end at killing my fellow human beings :buddy:

I never had a problem with controllers in CoP or in CoC. Of course I started in SoC where controllers took a few mags or a couple grenades to off'em and even being near them meant your aim was being hosed with every second of engagement. The bloodsuckers however, gently caress those vanishing bastards. At least SoC you could still make them out sorta thanks to their Predator type camo.
Though cats are my ultimate hate. Those fuckers must be kevlar lined or something because gently caress if you won't burn all your ammo trying to drop a few

Gobblecoque posted:

I hope this is the Misery update that makes toilet paper a super rare and expensive item and unless you find some you end up making GBS threads your pants, thus becoming unwelcome in any stalker camp.

Nah, you wipe your rear end with radioactive leaves thus you succumb to rectal cancer aka literal butthurt

Roobanguy posted:

the silliest thing about them not just giving you a lighter when you start is that your character brings multiple packs of cigarettes and other smokables but forgot to bring a goddang lighter.

This happens in reality a lot

Section Z posted:

Pfft, you don't know how ACTUAL realism works my friend :rolleyes:

Well, he's not wrong. It does add wear and tear, but it would take you a few thousand mag changes to make some decent wear in a mag wall instead of three chewing the gun in half.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 16, 2017

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

If a few thousand mag changes noticeably fucks up a magwell, you are no poo poo doing it wrong. Just, wrong.

Fake e: I just realized I shouldn't say it's impossible. Because this is the universe where Donald Trump became president and stupidity will find a way :sigh:

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 16, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Maybe every gun in STALKER is based on the M249, which will destroy your magazines if you use them in it.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I've used an m249 (well, ksp90). That would be the preferred order. Your gun fucks up a magazine, so? It worked didn't it? Throw away the magazine or reshape the feed lips later. Now... if your magazine fucks up your gun... :stonk:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, that's a fair point. I was assuming that you might not have that many mags to go around in the zone, you'd just be reloading the same few over and over, and if your feed lips are hosed enjoy your jams.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

If a few thousand mag changes noticeably fucks up a magwell, you are no poo poo doing it wrong. Just, wrong.

Fake e: I just realized I shouldn't say it's impossible. Because this is the universe where Donald Trump became president and stupidity will find a way :sigh:

It's gonna leave some wear in there, mostly cosmetic though. I never said "fucks up" though

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

No, not you Sock! But the Misery devs most certainly did. They be the gently caress ups.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

SocketWrench posted:

I never had a problem with controllers in CoP or in CoC. Of course I started in SoC where controllers took a few mags or a couple grenades to off'em and even being near them meant your aim was being hosed with every second of engagement. The bloodsuckers however, gently caress those vanishing bastards. At least SoC you could still make them out sorta thanks to their Predator type camo.
Though cats are my ultimate hate. Those fuckers must be kevlar lined or something because gently caress if you won't burn all your ammo trying to drop a few
Well like I said, I still killed them. I killed them with a knife even at times.

My "Problem" was the fiddly animation reset spam. And the fact they can tank an underbarrel grenade force fed down their throat in the first place. So while I'm sure they are more scary in older games or modded "We just made things hurt more, that's our mod!". In vanilla it mostly means my biggest concern is janky gameplay effects rather than my brain being slowly melted. "Okay, using common sense and opening up with a high explosive is the 'wrong' move. Instead, magdump like a wild chimp with a gun, THEN fire the grenade."

But in any game, it's hard to get across "I'm annoyed by this thing I'm still succeeding against" without it delving into "Well, I never had a problem. It's not that hard." responses :v:

In the end though, solidarity for rolling our eyes at animals who are more zombie like in what it it takes to slow them down than the actual zombies. :buddy:

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

No, not you Sock! But the Misery devs most certainly did. They be the gently caress ups.

I was reading their official guide to 2.2 the other day. And it's full of screaming at imaginary strawmen readers disagreeing with their design decisions :allears:

Gotta head a head start on calling players a "Motherfucking piece of dead rat" over the prospect of not thinking their repair price and materials system is anything but flawless. Waiting for them to install the mod and play it isn't good enough, real pro MLG modders start saying you have a small gamer penis in the readme.

Compared to that,the bog standard revolving door of "No that's realistic, it's more hardcore that way! Do you hate realism or something?" and "Why are you asking for realism? Git gud, realism is for pussies" is nothing to write home about.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 17, 2017

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
I absolutely love the Misery mod. I've been playing it since version 2.0, and been having a blast. I don't mind the minutiae involved in it sometimes, as it kind of puts me in the mood of the zone. It's not a place which you'll be able to have everything available that you'd like, and you've got to make sacrifices and hard choices as you go along. Do I dare risk trying to hump a poo poo-ton of stuff back to the Skadovsk, even though I've got to stop frequently, making the possibility of getting hit that much greater, or pare down everything I've got to the good stuff, try to stash the rest someplace, and come back for it later?

Some things can be annoying, like not having a lighter at the beginning. But that could be easily explained away that the Major lost it as he was running from muties, it fell out of his pocket, or a host of other things. Doesn't ruin the game, I just kill enough bandits until I get one, and it usually doesn't take long.

The thing I don't really think fits is having the ability to make a tent. Not in the zone. The blowouts shake the gently caress out of all buildings, and unless you're in a room far away from windows are you ok. I don't think a tent would cut it vs one of them. Nor muties or bandits. I prefer to have to find shelter near where I am, or plan ahead. It makes the zone a lot more difficult.

I am loving the gently caress out of the salvage system though. As an Assaulter, you start out with a corroded AK as your main weapon. It sucks, but you can upkeep it to make sure it doesn't jam. But when I killed some Mercs at the substation workshop, I got a FAL. I thought that would be awesome to repair, so I salvaged all the other guns for parts, and was intending to do so. But then I cleared out the Bloodsucker lair, and inside was a dude with a STG 58. An even better find. I love the idea of the Major finding it in poo poo condition, getting his hands on an engineering and mechanics manual, and breaking down the masses of guns available to get the bits needed to repair it to full. And it's a badass gun as well. Even better that you can now detach fixed scopes from guns like the M21, Sako, M24 etc and use them on other guns which have compatible mountings. Looking to find a FN FAL Para and take the BSA scope off of it, or find a FINDOT scope on another gun and grab it for the STG 58. That kind of stuff is great, especially since I hate the Susat series of scopes with a passion. Then I'll have my dude running around with an almost DMR style gun, and if I can find a camo option (which has better damage), I'll be even happier.

I like the scarcity of things in this game. It makes the zone feel more real to me. Less a shooter and more a "oh poo poo, how do I survive this?" simulation. I love that the Hunter's Kit gives you higher mutie parts when you use it instead of a knife. I like small details like that. And I don't mind having to have a lighter to do stuff, or wait till I kill someone to get one. But tents are pretty dumb.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

To each their own.

(Just one detail... the first 10k stg58 were made by FN. Literally the same rifle as the FAL, built by the same people with the same machines from the same stuff. If one is "even better" than the other, who ever made it like that SHOULD BURN IN HELLis worthy of universal disdain.)
:wotwot:

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Section Z posted:

I was reading their official guide to 2.2 the other day. And it's full of screaming at imaginary strawmen readers disagreeing with their design decisions :allears:

Gotta head a head start on calling players a "Motherfucking piece of dead rat" over the prospect of not thinking their repair price and materials system is anything but flawless. Waiting for them to install the mod and play it isn't good enough, real pro MLG modders start saying you have a small gamer penis in the readme.

Compared to that,the bog standard revolving door of "No that's realistic, it's more hardcore that way! Do you hate realism or something?" and "Why are you asking for realism? Git gud, realism is for pussies" is nothing to write home about.
Link please, this sounds hilarious.

Also the insane economy would be much more tolerable if bartering with other stalkers, or even bandits, was a viable option for items.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Quicksilver6 posted:

Link please, this sounds hilarious.

Also the insane economy would be much more tolerable if bartering with other stalkers, or even bandits, was a viable option for items.

quote:

Don’t go strolling where you don’t belong, boy. If you haven’t personally scanned and tested the ground, if you don’t know every single crook and cranny, if you aren’t acquainted with “that particular area”, just stay off.Before going to the Iron Forest I spent 2 months just watching, just observing. Two whole bloody months. That’s almost half your age. And that is why I’m alive and kicking today. I was patient. I mean, sure, that poltergeist fried my back so nice that I still get these reactions on my skin whenever FM signals are amplified. And sure, I had a controller take a look into my brain, but I survived. You know why? I’ve just told you, you worthless punk, I’ve just told you I spent 2 loving months observing, thinking, wondering. Making a solid strategy before even thinking of doing anything. How are you going to survive in here if you have the attention span of an ADD Japanese hornet?

quote:

I never sell any repair items, man, I just keep them in my box. I know it’s good loot, Beard, Owl and Hawaiian love to buy ’em, but I think it’s better to just use ’em for my weapons and armor. When you sell something to someone, you sell it cheaper than the price you can buy it for, and then when you buy repair items from someone else, you’ve got to pay again, and in the end you lose a lot of money. Do poo poo on your own, it’s much more frugal and you get to save a lot. Stalkers don’t know how to save here, and whine all the time that they don’t have enough dough. What did you think when you came here, you motherfucking piece of dead rat? The Zone taxes you. Materials are hard to come by, weapons even harder. You don’t just pay for that one shooter, but you pay for the whole infrastructure that supports the war machine that enables you to buy that one shooter. It’s a simple economy, and you should be aware that everything here is expensive as doing everything has its risks and its costs.

Remember. The Iron forsest being so overkill it takes the developers themselves two IRL months of planning to get through is is prime time MLG game design :thumbsup: But it's nice of them to keep in mind their player base of four month old newborn babies.

http://themiserymod.com/index.php/game-guide/

The Dark Project posted:

I am loving the gently caress out of the salvage system though. As an Assaulter, you start out with a corroded AK as your main weapon. It sucks, but you can upkeep it to make sure it doesn't jam.

I'm amused at how the other two classes start out with weapons that also get attachments.

Then you have the Assaulter, who gets the unlisted on class selection surprise of "Rusty piece of poo poo", and no attachments. Which is less "Scarcity" and more telling assaulter to go gently caress itself compared to a sniper who gets a shotgun and scoped rifle. Brought to you by a team who's PR lead openly states "I only play sniper" with some casual google.

Commentary on the class balance seems to go through a revolving door of "Of course it's balanced, idiot" and "Of course sniper is the EZ mode, class, idiot" based on whichever sounds more like a mike drop to people questioning the mod :v:

That's the big issue with Misery, really. There are so many legitimately cool things about it. But it's wrapped up in so much faux hardcore bloat. Or just plain old bad code stability for the sake of their jumped up overkill spawns and AI.

When official known bugs and readme suggestions are that autosaves will break the poo poo out of your game because X-ray can't handle the immediate and numerous amount of things trying to immediatly kill you at once when loading a save. Nope, that's your fault. Not the Modder's fault for such an untennably unstable AI setup and if you have a problem with that why are you trying to load in the middle of combat anyways you little bitch poo poo :downs:

It can even break the soldier in the refrigerator (somehow), so you gotta load a previous save and fiddle with the game, most commonly stated fix to be editing down the AI range to a fraction of the minimum range on the slider bar Misery offers. (and if you can't fix it, you get "I bet you were using quicksaves, we already told you the workarounds")

You've got this impressive super mod, dragged down by all the padding and hack job AI work because making sure bandits will see you from 500 miles away "Because you didn't use a camouflaged rifle with your ghille suit" is considered worth more for the hardcore gamer credz, than the effort of polishing the stability or simply not ramping things up so much the engine commits suicide in the first place.

It's easy to see why so many people like the mod. Or want to muddle through it despite it's flaws. But it's just such a shame that like many such projects, it falls victim to the same old pitfalls as ever.

EDIT: Yet despite it all, some of my biggest annoyances are the most basic vanilla QoL aspects removed everyone forgets to mention. People talk up the new melee weapons or how badass they are for hitting things with an axe, but don't mention how you no longer have 1=knife. Or how there is no more 5 = binoculars.

gently caress the removed minimap that makes finding corpses in the shrubs a bitch, gently caress the missing ammo counter indicator. gently caress the fact they even remove the directional arrow on the PDA map because they are just that petty (Wow I had to strafe two feet to know what my facing is. You sure made me immersively lost with the lack of compass headings yup yup).

Where the gently caress are my dedicated melee and binocular hotkeys?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 18, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. General: Misery 2.2 Out - How are you going to survive in here if you have the attention span of an ADD Japanese hornet?

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

That guide sounds more like they're trying to be funny and failing... But then again, they did leave whiny youtube comments on people's playthroughs.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

They made it so you can't see what direction you're facing on the map? I don't even know what the reasoning behind that could be. It's not like the PDA is a physical map.

E: I forgot, these are the people who think that changing magazines too much can cause guns to explode.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 18, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

They made it so you can't see what direction you're facing on the map? I don't even know what the reasoning behind that could be. It's not like the PDA is a physical map.

E: I forgot, these are the people who think that changing magazines too much can cause guns to explode.

I suppose i should be thankful they didn't try to go full :pcgaming: and remove your PDA marker entirely :v:

I can see it now. "Oh you want to know what little side alley our custom game start location put you? Son I've got over 6,200+ hours of Misery playtime and I've got the whole map memorized like the back of my hand. Maybe don't ask for things handed to you on a silver platter"

The one Misery staff member who was posting on the Steam forums at all until he swiftly vanished to the safety of where they have moderator powers, loved to constantly reference having over 6,200+ hours of Misery gameplay time.

From everything to lighter chat to resurrected threads about how overly homicidal bandits would immediately kill their own hostage like in prior versions of Misery. Nothing wrong, that's how life is in the zone people die, I've got over 6,200+ hours and just snipe every single bandit to death. Think outside the box instead of asking us to fix quest we broke.

quote:

You can easily kill everyone in the bandit camp without help on your own, and there is no bug. You can recruit the Monolith players without the bandits ever being aware. Fast travel back with them to Yanov. Return at will and kill the bandits. What you are describing is a way to exploit one story for help with another. Nothing wrong with it, but it is not a bug. Just a little thinking outside the box. Nothing wromg(sic) with that.

The zone is a dangerous place. Almost any story squad can get killed off by the hazards of the zone. The swamp bloodsuckers, Zaton controller, Mitay's guards. The longer you take to do those missions the more chance there is the Zone will do it for you :) I like the loot, so I kill the bandits myself ;)

quote:

The mission will only fail if the hazards of the zone have killed the bandits off. Pseudodog pack, chimera, gigants wandering through before you get to killing them yourself. As the loot is pretty good, I tackle them fairly early, but in 6200 hours of play I have had it happen a couple times. I reload an earlier save and go get those arrogant bastards ;)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 18, 2017

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Just wait, the next feature will be lovely dirt texture overlays on guns ala Far Cry. Separate overlay for rust depending how often you clean them.

Both get slightly less transparent with each mag change until the gun is an ugly mass of horribly artifacted mung, at which point a menu pops up and says "You're gun is broken, why the gently caress didn't you clean it"

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
you know, some fire alarms have a little bit of radioactive material in them, ask mr 6200 if, for the sake of realism, how many of those 6200 hours were spent rubbing a fire alarm on the end of their dick to simulate zone herpes.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Section Z posted:

Remember. The Iron forsest being so overkill it takes the developers themselves two IRL months of planning to get through is is prime time MLG game design :thumbsup: But it's nice of them to keep in mind their player base of four month old newborn babies.

Those sound like they're written in character. I'm not a Misery fan, but I don't think trying to add a bit of flavour to gameplay tips ("go slowly and scout an area carefully", and "save up your money and look at how to make more") is exactly the worst of their sins.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And the whole diatribe yelling at people who want a functioning in game economy is just coincidental right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

mossyfisk posted:

Those sound like they're written in character. I'm not a Misery fan, but I don't think trying to add a bit of flavour to gameplay tips ("go slowly and scout an area carefully", and "save up your money and look at how to make more") is exactly the worst of their sins.

Arcsquad12 posted:

And the whole diatribe yelling at people who want a functioning in game economy is just coincidental right?

Everybody loves colorful flavor text. But unfortunately it's pretty clear this is just treating their own game guide as a soap box, unless you want to think the Des post "In character" everywhere :sigh:

Like their reactions to people joking about tiny tents that will explode when trying to so much as look at them.

The tent being tiny is the harmless joke. It could look like the Barbie Dream House. It's poor implementation, and devs going immediately for the dick measuring contest commentary is the sad punchline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il8yN4AghY8

quote:

A case of lack of real life experience here? Desktop soldier? Some players may imagine a command quarters box tent, but we never did anything to make you think that way. Also, you have to think of tent in MISERY as shift made shelter rather than bedroom size comfortable tent.

quote:

In response to your video description: "I mean.. We got huge tents in CoM." Yeah, because huge rear end tents will keep you hidden and those models are easy to carry and set up. Sad really, that your lack of real life experience is all out in the open with this publishing

quote:

We will make a house with warm tea for you in next update.

And that's just for "Hey this tent is kind of silly ain't it?" Nope gotta double down on how hardcore extreme you are.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 19, 2017