Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Speaking of Enterprise I remember when it was running, the thread here on SA had some people who worked on the set feeding us zany information. Do we have any insiders this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Complaint: I hate the new technobabble! It's all, "we read this cool new thing in Nature about, like, dwarf bears and somehow spores are everywhere". Back in the day, it was just incomprehensible garbage.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

This show is taking a lot of risks, and while it is not hitting the mark quite now, I'll give it real credit for taking those risks. I hope it comes together eventually.

I'm watching The Orville show too, and while that is a comedy by a guy known for being edgy, it's oddly risk free. Even the comedy is close to Everybody Loves Raymond level of safe. There's the odd sex joke, but for the most part it's something I could easily watch with my mother. I want to like it, but it's so sterile. I'm going to stick with it, but hope for something to happen.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lol, yeah. Nobody ever complained about reversing the polarons in the time matrix or whatever. But you nipple clamp one water bear to ride a mushroom and the franchise suddenly jumped the shark.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
People loving complained about quantum burrito fields and warp particles and poo poo all the time. We have a loving emoji about it. :techno:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Aside from Voyager, some of the technobabble was somewhat based in realty.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The problem is that nobody cares about these characters and their water bear BDSM hijinks because they're a bunch of lovely idiots to each other. It's great they've managed to avoid saying stuff like "modify the deflector!" but now they're leaning so hard into "serious modern TV" tropes like everyone being an uncooperative dick in a grim depressing world that the whole thing comes off like a weird joke

Like yeah we've never seen a Star Trek be crappy in quite this way before so you know wow *jazz hands*

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Aside from Voyager, some of the technobabble was somewhat based in realty.
Polarise the polarity of the polaron beam.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Why are the ships so ugly. I don't care about ship design per se but I'd at least like to be able to tell what they look like. The Klingon ships are undefinable shapes of bumpmapped blue material.

I'm glad the captain escaped from the Oblivion tower and beat up all of the dremoras on the way.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Vehementi posted:

Speaking of Enterprise I remember when it was running, the thread here on SA had some people who worked on the set feeding us zany information. Do we have any insiders this time?

I dunno, but I went back searching for old Enterprise threads, and came across this gem talking about what people would want for the next Star Trek series after Enterprise:

Some Schmuck in 2004 posted:

I'd like a more gritty wartime storyline. The whole season is one continuous, short-term story about some ship's experiences in some mission in the war. Two old friends (Captain and First Officer) with differing ideologies end up coming to blows by the end and one ends up killing the other. Pretty dark with various flashback episodes fleshing out the characters.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Whenever you have something there's always some fuckwit that wants a dark, grittier version of it, no matter the circumstances or appropriateness

There are people out there that think BSG was too bright and happy

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HD DAD posted:

I dunno, but I went back searching for old Enterprise threads, and came across this gem talking about what people would want for the next Star Trek series after Enterprise:

Fans have been having lovely ideas for $nextTrek for ages. I remember there was a contingent of shitheads over at one forum that wanted a ~Federation civil war~ where all the evil communists would be put down and the Federation returned to good god-fearing capitalism.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Hay guys do you wanna read my new fanfic it's about how the Federation collapses and one ship has to try to rebuild it in a ~*dark crippled galaxy*~

OG idea do not steal

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Tighclops posted:

Hay guys do you wanna read my new fanfic it's about how the Federation collapses and one ship has to try to rebuild it in a ~*dark crippled galaxy*~

OG idea do not steal

Pretty sure this was an actual pitch from around the same era as the "Starfleet Academy" pitch that eventually morphed into JJTrek

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Tighclops posted:

OG idea do not steal

Check out my Dragon Ball Z/Voyager crossover fic. The latest chapter features Tien trying to teach Harry Kim to psychically project himself to his long lost love in San Fransisco.

Thank you to all my readers,
xXJanewayXx
-3/21/01

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

skasion posted:

Pretty sure this was an actual pitch from around the same era as the "Starfleet Academy" pitch that eventually morphed into JJTrek

It was an actual show, minus the Federation. It was bad.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

OG idea do not steal

As I recall the ship design for that was even worse than that lovely CGI we got in the initial Disco teaser.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

mythicknight
Jan 28, 2009

my thick night

What the gently caress is that even

Hammerhead class? Ramming speed!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

That is a tuning peg.

“Ensign, set a course for drop D.”

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Lol, wow. Looks like someone beheaded Voyager and jammed an aircraft carrier onto its stump sideways.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Could be worse

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

The idea of the Federation collapsing was supposed to be the series after Enterprise. They started developing it but it was abandoned after the JJ movie was announced.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Trek:_Federation

quote:

"Utopia as a goal is like the fire in a nuclear engine. Utopia in practice is stagnation; it's dry rot; eventually it's death. Which is precisely where we find the United Federation of Planets a few centuries after the last Age of Discovery."

Humanity has become complacent, and many worlds have left the Federation because of its Human-centric nature. Starfleet is stretched thin and many of its ships are outdated. A new enemy called the Scourge attack and destroy the USS Sojourner and two colony worlds. The only survivor is Lieutenant Commander Alexander Kirk. The authorities refuse to believe his story, a state of affairs that causes Vulcan, Bajor, and Betazed to leave in disgust at the corruption of the UFP, leaving it with only twenty systems under its control.

The Ferengi become the dominant power in the galaxy, and make money by spreading the Bajoran religion and making Bajor into a major place of pilgrimage. The Vulcans reunify with the Romulans. The Cardassian and Klingon societies have evolved into more mystical and less warlike cultures, though the Klingon Empire is expanding once more (but they are still on good terms with the Federation).

Admiral Nelscott commissions a new USS Enterprise to return the Federation to its goal of going boldly, but with the ulterior objective of finding the Scourge. After its captain and first officer are killed, Commander Kirk (third-in-command) is promoted to captain of a crew of four hundred.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
So there you go, things could be a drat sight worse than Discovery.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah wow.

That really makes me appreciate that this is a prequel. If you're going to do a darker story where people struggle with their ideals, at least make something that's leading into a future utopia.

The fact that the central premise of that show was utopia = stagnation is way more virulently anti-Trek than anything Discovery could muster.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Funso Banjo posted:

I'm watching The Orville show too, and while that is a comedy by a guy known for being edgy, it's oddly risk free. Even the comedy is close to Everybody Loves Raymond level of safe. There's the odd sex joke, but for the most part it's something I could easily watch with my mother. I want to like it, but it's so sterile. I'm going to stick with it, but hope for something to happen.

Last episode literally ended with the main characters burning alive the crew of an entire ship.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Could be worse

That’s gonna fly right up me bum.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr. Apollo posted:

The idea of the Federation collapsing was supposed to be the series after Enterprise. They started developing it but it was abandoned after the JJ movie was announced.

That sounds awful

How the hell would the Ferengi of all people be the dominant power?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I feel like if you could somehow average this show and The Orville there might be a decent show in there somewhere.

I'll probably keep watching both of these though :shrug:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I feel like if you could somehow average this show and The Orville there might be a decent show in there somewhere.

I'll probably keep watching both of these though :shrug:

While The Orville is hardly perfect the ways to improve it are mostly orthogonal to what Discovery is doing. I'm not really sure what ideas from Discovery it could borrow that would make it better instead of worse

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cingulate posted:

Polarise the polarity of the polaron beam.

Back on TNG, when they encountered a magic time hole, it was a "Kerr loop of superstring material". By Voyager, that kinda stuff had turned into, like, oh no it's an inverse antichroniton surge.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cingulate posted:

Complaint: I hate the new technobabble! It's all, "we read this cool new thing in Nature about, like, dwarf bears and somehow spores are everywhere". Back in the day, it was just incomprehensible garbage.

It used to be incomprehensible garbage from people who read scifi and science journals. Now it's incomprehensible garbage from people who read wikipedia and io9. Progress!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Exactly!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bring back the one time Geordi ratted on Data for giving a nonsense answer to a tech question.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I just read that the tardigrade was originally supposed to be a crewmember. That would actually have been cool.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Shibawanko posted:

I just read that the tardigrade was originally supposed to be a crewmember. That would actually have been cool.

You might say thats its role was

Tar degraded

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

FlamingLiberal posted:

G.P.L.R.E.A.M.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

jfood posted:

G.P.L.R.E.A.M.

You have the lobes for music

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Mr. Apollo posted:

Good points: Has Ferengi.
Bad points: Everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FlamingLiberal posted:

That sounds awful

Because many people can more easily imagine the end of the world than the end of modern capitalism, or at least, its position as anything other than top dog.