Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
google hangouts + the chromecast for business boxes are kinda ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/caseyjohnston/status/920423908997718016

fo rillz tho, if a piece of dust getting under a key necessitates replacing half the computer, it is a poorly designed computer

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

C.H.O.M.E posted:

lmao if your office doesn't do all screen sharing and projector hookups over wifi

we got a large tv because why would you think half of the offices loves basketball, boss including, just why

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i introduced my work to airplay, bunch of dumbasses who hadn't thought to replace their vga cables until then

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

i was dumb enough to buy one of those cheap piece of poo poo eee pcs back in 2008 and it had a barely-there keyboard with keys that stopped working on more than one occasion because a piece of grime got stuck underneath. I'm glad to see the industry has learned so much since then

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

C.H.O.M.E posted:

lmao if your office doesn't do all screen sharing and projector hookups over wifi

we have three conference rooms on my floor

one was obviously some directors pet project and has like two tvs on opposite ends of the rooms plus a retractible screen for the projector

the other two are not a directors special pet, and if you needed a projector, you had to get one from our admin

our department last yearfinally got a screen installed on the fishbowl conference room but uh facilities installed the bracket and mudded the drywall up and then installed it without ever pay ting the wall (Which happened months later)

the third one is still a shithole that no one likes to use

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

infernal machines posted:

https://twitter.com/caseyjohnston/status/920423908997718016

fo rillz tho, if a piece of dust getting under a key necessitates replacing half the computer, it is a poorly designed computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdS3tjEIqUA

I had frozen keys twice already due to dust and fortunately it dislodged itself after I moved the keys around but now I feel extremely bad about owning this expensive computer that 100% is going to break because of dust particles

someone mentioned a 5% failure rate due to these lovely keyboards, but it’s only the first year. what’s going to happen in the next 2 years with these goddamn butterfly keyboards

I bought a MacBook Pro and I owned myself so hard

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

my work computer is stuck on a really dumb usb3.1 to dvi dongle that dies on me every now and then for a bit, and now our supply dude is playing dead for a week ago since i trashed their plan for buying monitor extensions for my colleagues (worthless expenditure of 4000 dkk), and instead asked them to get me, alongside with already ordered new monitor, a 700 dkk converter from thunderbolt 3 to dual displayport

i wish i could have 4000 dkks

in my mouth

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

poty posted:

in my mouth

I can get you +1 further along your dream, PM me

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

poty posted:

in my mouth

sorry i can only get you a pack of danish smokes

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
idk what kind of "dust" these people are dealing with

used my mbp for a week outside in a field and it's still fine

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

they are probably typing wrong op

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

any dust will do, mbp butterfly keys are on microscope-tier thin legs and are artificially elevated b/c they felt like shite to everyone who didnt drink koolaid

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Don't eat over your laptop keyboards you disgusting nerds.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

Don't eat over your laptop keyboards you disgusting nerds.

i never do

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I suspect that the real issue isn't the butterfly mechanism itself being particularly vulnerable to dirt because unless a perfectly sized sand grain managed to get jammed at the flexing hinge point there's really no place for dirt to get that doesn't also exist with a scissor style mechanism.

no, the problem is that the keys have loving 0.7mm of travel so nothing moves enough to dislodge any chunk of dirt that gets in there. with scissor keys you can usually hold up the keyboard while hitting the key a few times and at some point during the cycle the movement of the parts will give enough clearance to let the dirt fall out but that doesn't work with the mbp.

then you have to add in that each key sits in a little aluminum-walled pit which will trap any dirt that manages to work its way in until it is either crushed to powder or manages to jam the key.

chiclet keyboards are an abomination. ultra-low travel chiclet keyboards doubly so.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shifty Pony posted:

I suspect that the real issue isn't the butterfly mechanism itself being particularly vulnerable to dirt because unless a perfectly sized sand grain managed to get jammed at the flexing hinge point there's really no place for dirt to get that doesn't also exist with a scissor style mechanism.

no, the problem is that the keys have loving 0.7mm of travel so nothing moves enough to dislodge any chunk of dirt that gets in there. with scissor keys you can usually hold up the keyboard while hitting the key a few times and at some point during the cycle the movement of the parts will give enough clearance to let the dirt fall out but that doesn't work with the mbp.

then you have to add in that each key sits in a little aluminum-walled pit which will trap any dirt that manages to work its way in until it is either crushed to powder or manages to jam the key.

chiclet keyboards are an abomination. ultra-low travel chiclet keyboards doubly so.

yeah its that. every keyboard gets dirt, but if you normally just spam the button, remove cap, or blow ure mouth or air can, with apple butterfly, even artifically elevated, you buy a new computer. the spacebar key is so hosed even apple geniuses or engineers are unable to guarantee safe removal of it, for instance

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its cum

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pram posted:

its cum

you know your old when you cum dust

poty
Jun 21, 2008

ive gotten into st vincents music quite a bit this week with all the media hype for the new cd

is her beats one radio show any good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

poty posted:

ive gotten into st vincents music quite a bit this week with all the media hype for the new cd

is her beats one radio show any good
i listened to the first few and it's p cute how she talks with the people and she plays a wide variety of music, so it's not necessarily stuff that will sound like her music.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah it's great. you get to rollover data for a year before it expires and even if it does they only deprioritize you if the tower is under load. on top of that they do all the music/video streaming not counting against your bandwidth thing which owns

i have over ten gigs stashed up
my boss just switched our plans over to t-mobile (had verizon before) to this. i guess bandwidth wise its better but man does reception sometime really seem to loving suck comparatively speaking, even in the bay area.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I’ve heard of this carpool karaoke show that Apple bought but I can’t find it on the Apple TV?

I mean which section is it? Siri finds episodes but which section does Apple use to hold their original content

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I’ve heard of this carpool karaoke show that Apple bought but I can’t find it on the Apple TV?

I mean which section is it? Siri finds episodes but which section does Apple use to hold their original content

you have to subscribe to apple prime Apple Music. so obviously it is in the music app

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The Management posted:

you have to subscribe to apple prime Apple Music. so obviously it is in the music app

I did look in the Music App but there’s no video section or anything, just music videos

I can’t miss the hit tv show Planet of the Apps 😩

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's in apple music, right where you would expect a show

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I really dislike Tim's weird inclination to call products as if by first name

"I love iPhone, it's really cool hanging out with iPad"

It's AN iPhone Tim, it's a loving iPad

Hand me THE iPad goddamn it Tim you weirdo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

leaving out definite articles is a long-standing part of :sparkles:the brand experience:sparkles:

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
lol, you treat it like someone’s name. you don’t put an article in front of someone’s name.

there’s extensive internal documentation about this that I’d be happy to not share with you because I like my job, but I can promise you it’s there.

tl;dr - Phil is right.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
the Mac Mini should be an extremely tiny almost novelty sized aluminum Mac Pro with an ARM chip.

e: with one usb-c port

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I'm glad you love dongles. I love them too. Our customers have found so many creative and interesting uses for dongles. While it is not time to share any details, we do plan for dongles to be an important part of our product line going forward.

Best,
Tim

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

akadajet posted:

I'm glad you love Dongle. I love it too. Our customers have found so many creative and interesting uses for Dongle. While it is not time to share any details, we do plan for Dongle to be an important part of our product line going forward.

Best,
Tim

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Lol get owned Tim

http://news.morningstar.com/all/dow-jones/us-markets/201710194491/apple-watch-hits-cellular-snag-in-china.aspx

BEIJING-- Apple Inc. has another headache in China: this time with its latest watch.

For the first time, the Apple Watch can have an independent cellular connection, allowing people to use it to make voice calls, send and receive text and data even if the watch isn't wirelessly connected to an iPhone.

But in China, the feature was abruptly cut off for new subscribers, without explanation, after a brief availability with one telecom company.

Industry analysts say the suspension likely stemmed from Chinese government security concerns to do with tracking users of the device, which uses different technology than standard mobile phones.

China strictly regulates mobile phones and all three major telecom service providers are state-owned companies. To get a SIM--subscriber identity module--card to operate the phone, users must register under their real names with a network carrier.

The latest Apple Watch poses a challenge to the existing user identification system, industry analysts said. The watch contains a new and tiny version of the SIM card, called embedded SIM, or eSIM. The eSIM is embedded in the watch by Apple, not by carriers.

The benefit of a device carrying an eSIM is that, with software, users can choose a telecom operator and a communications plan. But in China, that new system raises the question of how carriers and regulators can track the device user's identity.

"The eSIM (system) isn't mature enough yet in China," one analyst said. "The government still needs to figure out how they can control the eSIM."

When the Apple Watch went on sale Sept. 22, the cellular service was available exclusively to qualified China Unicom customers. But after Sept. 28, new cellular subscriptions were cut off without explanation. Those who had previously registered are so far unaffected.

In a notice on its website, China Unicom said the cellular feature had been offered on a trial basis. It gave no information on when it might resume.

An Apple spokeswoman referred queries to China Unicom.

"We were informed by China Unicom that the new cellular feature on the Apple Watch Series 3 has been suspended," Apple said in a statement.

China's regulator, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology, didn't respond to requests for comment. China Unicom and the two other state-owned telecoms didn't respond to requests for comment.

Ministry officials are likely studying how to resolve the issue before allowing any broad cellular access to the Apple Watch, which could take months, said the analysts, who asked not to be identified.

In August, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology approved trial certificates--but not a formal certificate--for cellular-version Apple Watch devices, documents posted on the regulator's database showed.

Qiu Tian, 19, who lives in southern China's Guangxi Province, said he paid $600 for his latest Apple Watch on the debut day and was disappointed he couldn't use the device to make calls.

"I realized that this function probably wouldn't be fully supported by domestic carriers, but I didn't expect it would be halted this soon, said Mr. Qiu.

China is a critical market for Apple, but it has had a series of setbacks here recently. Its iPhone was once top seller in China, but its market share has fallen to about 7%, from an estimated 16.5% in late 2014.

Apple was also forced to shut down its iBooks and iTunes Movies services in China last year under government pressure, and this summer removed about 400 " virtual private network" apps from its China App Store that enabled users to circumvent government internet filters.

The company's iPhone X, now being assembled in China, has been plagued by manufacturing problems, prompting Apple to set its sales start date to November--more than a month later than in past years.

Yang Jie and Yoko Kubota contributed to this article.

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

Scott Forstall posted:

lol, you treat it like someone’s name. you don’t put an article in front of someone’s name.

there’s extensive internal documentation about this that I’d be happy to not share with you because I like my job, but I can promise you it’s there.

tl;dr - Phil is right.

Phil? Schiller? He agrees with this nonsense? I'm not surprised from the guy who kept 16gb iPhones for like 3 years after it was dignified

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 19, 2017

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
The Mac Mini could be like...literally a dongle. Like one of those Intel Compute sticks, but actually physically identical to the usb-c multi-port adapter Apple sells. With an ARM SoC.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Lol get owned Tim

who even wants an apple watch anyways

seems like a really stupid product. wearable technology always bombs

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

who even wants an apple watch anyways

seems like a really stupid product. wearable technology always bombs

boston professional sports teams

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Scott Forstall posted:

tl;dr - Phil is right.

it being written on a piece of paper or in a pdf or something somewhere doesn't actually make it any less insufferable

pram
Jun 10, 2001
why cant there be a touchbar and function buttons hmm? steve?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
coming to the MacBook Pro 2018: the Function Bar