Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Baronjutter posted:

Is there finally a new episode tonight?

There was a new episode last week, this week's episode is the Pilot again because they'd be head to head against the Dodgers/Cubs game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

To be fair to the show, the ship's drive is actually powered by the creature's sexual arousal. The clamps make sense in the context of the plot. :shrug:
Haha

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Every time I read something I think is hyperbole about Discovery, it turns out to be true. The interminable emotionless Klingon dialogue, "Black Alert," transwarp drive that runs on space fungus, the sinister captain who broods in literal darkness, and now the nipple clamps. If this is prestige TV then call me uncultured or whatever, but when a fanfic of '90s Trek and a U.S. Navy propaganda series are better Star Treks than a prestige treatment of Star Trek, I guess I'm a dinosaur.
Hu? What's that one?

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Man I thought Discovery being named STD was just a funny acronym but then there's nipple clamps, shroom drives and spinning ships. I don't want to watch it now because all this out of context is just too goddamn funny. What the gently caress is going on with that show?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Haha

Hu? What's that one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Ship_(TV_series) probably.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brave_(TV_series)

I assumed this one

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tiberius Christ posted:

Man I thought Discovery being named STD was just a funny acronym but then there's nipple clamps, shroom drives and spinning ships. I don't want to watch it now because all this out of context is just too goddamn funny. What the gently caress is going on with that show?

There are a lot of Alice in Wonderland allusions and mentions. Seems like they were going for a slightly surreal vibe + trying to do something new, instead of the old sci-fi tropes.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
drat, somebody posted a video of Gordon getting his Krill make-up here IIRC. I can't find it, does anyone have the link still?

Thanks, but are you really saying either of these is Star Trek?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cingulate posted:

I watched half of the first season of the last ship solely because I'm a Rhona Mitra fan and that wasn't enough to keep me watching. Not all that trek-y, it's a post virus apocalypse trying to find a cure show (so I suppose they're on a ship and doing away missions for supplies but eh). I've watched exactly none of the Brave, and only assume that's what he's talking about because a) it's new and b) it's about SEALs, and c) he said navy propaganda show

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I don't understand all of the people bitching about how subspace fungus is "unrealistic" in a universe that giant space jellyfish, megadimensional aliens playing god through a wormhole, a person who can shift the enterprise to the edge of the universe or whatever, and an omnipotent john d lancie just to name a few and completely ignoring the fact that theres FTL travel in the first place.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's stupidly unrealistic, though

In fact many of those examples are stupid too, but at least they're mostly confined to sporadic episodes and can be ignored.

The mushroom engine underpins the series' story arc

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Azhais posted:

I watched half of the first season of the last ship solely because I'm a Rhona Mitra fan and that wasn't enough to keep me watching. Not all that trek-y, it's a post virus apocalypse trying to find a cure show (so I suppose they're on a ship and doing away missions for supplies but eh). I've watched exactly none of the Brave, and only assume that's what he's talking about because a) it's new and b) it's about SEALs, and c) he said navy propaganda show

Nah it's because the Last Ship is basically the TOS formula but on a Navy boat. Captain on away missions; below decks engineers/master sergeants on B-plots; highly unadvisable fraternization between crew members; wacky "alien" (read: civilian) cast members who join the crew and are the best characters; technobabble style ticking clock plots; mary sue hot female characters that are both diplomats, polyglots, and hardcore commandos; seemingly unlimited missiles...

It is basically a deconstructed star trek with Michael Bay action aesthetics.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

In fact many of those examples are stupid too, but at least they're mostly confined to sporadic episodes and can be ignored.

Also the fact that this is a prequel so we know it's not going to actually accomplish anything or go anywhere, and it's a rehash of a plot from an episode of Voyager where the message at the end was an unambiguous "this is morally abhorrent."

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I dunno, I think people are exaggerating. It's a plant that incorporates "exotic matter" and has, through evolution, developed the ability to spread itself through "subspace" using that exotic matter. The water bear is a symbiotic creature that has evolved to use the plant to enter and exit subspace. They use the bear on the ship cause it has mapped out subspace through its travels and has a local map in its brain. Also, it's perfectly adapted to interface with the plant, unlike a space ship. The bear is better at it.

TOS had a Nazi planet. A planet full of Nazis. With 1930s uniforms and everything. A Nazi planet. Also, Picard got turned into a kid. People got fused in the transporter and turned into lizards every other day.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Funny how suspension of disbelief works, isn't it?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Fasdar posted:

Nah it's because the Last Ship is basically the TOS formula but on a Navy boat. Captain on away missions; below decks engineers/master sergeants on B-plots; highly unadvisable fraternization between crew members; wacky "alien" (read: civilian) cast members who join the crew and are the best characters; technobabble style ticking clock plots; mary sue hot female characters that are both diplomats, polyglots, and hardcore commandos; seemingly unlimited missiles...

The other important Trek-like aspect of The Last Ship you left out is that unlike the modern Navy, the ship is out by itself and the captain has to make big decisions on his own without the benefit of advice or direction from any superior officers.

I watched the first three seasons and am waiting for the fourth to finish before I start in on it; it's definitely a guilty pleasure of mine.

TOS had a Nazi planet. A planet full of Nazis. With 1930s uniforms and everything. A Nazi planet. Also, Picard got turned into a kid. People got fused in the transporter and turned into lizards every other day.

Nazi Planet happened because an Earthman deliberately introduced Nazi iconography to the planet as an experiment to see if it was possible to construct a "benevolent" Nazi regime.

Now, Bread and Circuses with the 20th-century Roman planet, that one was just sheer "coincidence".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The other important Trek-like aspect of The Last Ship you left out is that unlike the modern Navy, the ship is out by itself and the captain has to make big decisions on his own without the benefit of advice or direction from any superior officers.

I watched the first three seasons and am waiting for the fourth to finish before I start in on it; it's definitely a guilty pleasure of mine.

Nazi Planet happened because an Earthman deliberately introduced Nazi iconography to the planet as an experiment to see if it was possible to construct a "benevolent" Nazi regime.

Now, Bread and Circuses with the 20th-century Roman planet, that one was just sheer "coincidence".

The reason was Jesus is real.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

turned into lizards every other day.
Yeah, that's my point -this babble feels a lot like Voyager's understanding of evolution. Spores and tardigrade and evolution are actually real, unlike Q, who is obviously magic, and Nazis, who are obviously ... uh, you get my point.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

I dunno, I think people are exaggerating. It's a plant that incorporates "exotic matter" and has, through evolution, developed the ability to spread itself through "subspace" using that exotic matter. The water bear is a symbiotic creature that has evolved to use the plant to enter and exit subspace. They use the bear on the ship cause it has mapped out subspace through its travels and has a local map in its brain. Also, it's perfectly adapted to interface with the plant, unlike a space ship. The bear is better at it.

I think it has more to do with this being a prequel that introduces a pretty significant technology that is never, ever talked about ever again in any of the series set in the future. Why didn't Voyager think about using fungal space or whatever it's called to get home? They were pretty desperate, even turning into lizards, but nobody thought about this ancient method of FTL travel? Not once?

That's what it is to me. Like WTF? Where did this come from?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Where can I find an angry rear end in a top hat on the Internet? Never mind, I found one

He can't help it. It's his posting gimmick.

adhuin posted:

STD is easier to catch outside the US.

It's like they want Americans to learn about VPNs.

Kurieg posted:

Yes but what I've heard about the show has led me to believe it's entirely orthogonal to a thing I would want to watch, why expend the effort?

You will never know for sure one way or another unless you see it with your own eyes? I dunno, your call.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Aleph Null posted:

I think it has more to do with this being a prequel that introduces a pretty significant technology that is never, ever talked about ever again in any of the series set in the future. Why didn't Voyager think about using fungal space or whatever it's called to get home? They were pretty desperate, even turning into lizards, but nobody thought about this ancient method of FTL travel? Not once?

Well who knows what happens. Maybe the Klingons get a hold of the tard and work it to death, and the loss of part of the ecosystem causes the fungus to die somehow

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The fungus was the only thing holding tribbles back, with it gone they breed out of control and thus begins the great klingon war against tribbles. This war is so stupid and ridiculous it gives klingons a sense of humour and better makeup.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Baronjutter posted:

The fungus was the only thing holding tribbles back, with it gone they breed out of control and thus begins the great klingon war against tribbles. This war is so stupid and ridiculous it gives klingons a sense of humour and better makeup.

Klingons honor these battles by wearing ridiculous wigs made out of tribble hair.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

[general Vortagh stands with his bat'leth poised, surrounded by a mass of tribbles, some malevolently purring, others sliced in half and purring in a sad way]

[He begins to shake his head, laughing airily through his noise]

Vortagh: whaaaaaat even the gently caress, man? Holy drat.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cingulate posted:

Fasdar posted:

This, more or less, plus it's essentially the "collapse of the Federation and one intact ship goes around trying to restore civilization" concept that has been thrown around now and then, except with a Navy destroyer on present-day Earth rather than an Excelsior in space.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

WampaLord posted:

Funny how suspension of disbelief works, isn't it?
I think most people can only manage it for stuff that they otherwise like. Or maybe for stuff when they were younger. When the spore drive shows up as a new type of technobabble in a show they're not on board with they call it dumb and unrealistic and end up sounding like they've never seen Star Trek before.

Personally I can find no faults with the spore drive. It's pretty well done technobabble- it's a pretty interesting and novel concept and it's being used to explore interesting stuff. I wouldn't go out of my way to defend Discovery's tone or characters or aesthetic choices, but the spore drive is totally not the issue with that show, and is in fact pretty neat.

I'd agree that the fact that it's a prequel is lame and knowing it won't be a thing in the future takes away a bit from the discovery of the spore drive.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Yeah, that's my point -this babble feels a lot like Voyager's understanding of evolution. Spores and tardigrade and evolution are actually real, unlike Q, who is obviously magic, and Nazis, who are obviously ... uh, you get my point.

I think that's really nitpicking now. The whole idea of FTL is so loving bonkers from a physics perspective, almost as bonkers as turning into lizards from the perspective of biology. It's all just gibberish. All of Trek. The exact part of it that breaks the suspension of disbelief is gonna be different for everyone, but it's still all nonsense.

Aleph Null posted:

The technology is obviously going to become unusable at some point. There is really no doubt about that. Plus, this seems like it's a black-ops operation and knowledge about it is not widely available.

Also, IRC there were other magic drive technologies in Star Trek that never got mentioned again. Like, I remember Voyager inventing super warp, but it melted them cause they were sludge copies of the original Voyager or something. They were sludge people. Plus the drive that turns you into a salamander.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You guys are making me want to watch the last ship, is it actually good or is it just nationalistic circlejerking hiding behind star trek plots

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

To clarify, i have no real problems with there being a magic spore drive that lets you go super fast.

I have issues with it in the context of this show, because they keep darker and edgier-ing the gently caress out of it. Like apparently in the most recent episode the science guy hooked himself up to the drive and figured out that it only takes a sentient mind to enhance the drive, not specifically a tardigrade with nipple clamps. Meaning that the whole bit with torturing a tardigrade was completely superfluous beyond MAXIMUM EDGE. And yes I get that this is a super sekret military blacksite ship (Which is a thing that the federation apparently has now) but narratively the drive is just a way for them to have super fast ships while still doing a prequel series.

Also, IRC there were other magic drive technologies in Star Trek that never got mentioned again. Like, I remember Voyager inventing super warp, but it melted them cause they were sludge copies of the original Voyager or something. They were sludge people. Plus the drive that turns you into a salamander.

Yeah they were clones from the planet with mercury oceans. Their ship falls to pieces just in time for voyager to show up and find the wreckage and go "WTF was that?"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

You guys are making me want to watch the last ship, is it actually good or is it just nationalistic circlejerking hiding behind star trek plots

It depends on what you mean by "actually good." Like, is it prestige television or realistic in any way? No. But it's entertaining, has some good characters, and while I wouldn't say it keeps the nationalistic circlejerking to a minimum, it's not really out of line in terms of what Star Trek does with Starfleet/the Federation. There's some BSG mixed in too; it doesn't go quite that far with the bleak/hopeless feel, but there is some pretty bad stuff going on everywhere as the plague wipes out most of mankind. It's not like "America Good, Rest of the World Bad" because pretty shortly there's not much of an America left, and they encounter as many problems with the remnants of the US government as in the rest of the world.

Winifred Madgers fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 19, 2017

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

You know what underpins the story arc of every Star Trek ever? Lots and lots of aliens that evolved basically exactly like homo sapiens and speak English. Also, teleporters, telepathy, and planets everyone can just breathe on without a gas mask ever. Oh, and the engines are controlled basically with magic crystals.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kurieg posted:

To clarify, i have no real problems with there being a magic spore drive that lets you go super fast

My main problem with it, in itself, is that it doesn't make you go super fast. It makes you go instantaneously to anywhere. No fungus/biological process could account for this. Even subspace radio has a speed limit and sometimes it takes days or weeks for messages to get back to HQ. The only things that can do that are maybe Tom's warp 10 experiment, Q, and Iconian Gateways (which I won't be surprised if any of that gets tied in)

They haven't even tried to explain how the ship moves into/out of the mushroom kingdom or why that travel is instantaneous.

Transporters take longer than a Discovery Shiitake Barrel Roll

The prequel/continuity thing is annoying too, but that's just what half-assed prequels do.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kurieg posted:

To clarify, i have no real problems with there being a magic spore drive that lets you go super fast.

I have issues with it in the context of this show, because they keep darker and edgier-ing the gently caress out of it. Like apparently in the most recent episode the science guy hooked himself up to the drive and figured out that it only takes a sentient mind to enhance the drive, not specifically a tardigrade with nipple clamps. Meaning that the whole bit with torturing a tardigrade was completely superfluous beyond MAXIMUM EDGE. And yes I get that this is a super sekret military blacksite ship (Which is a thing that the federation apparently has now) but narratively the drive is just a way for them to have super fast ships while still doing a prequel series.
You, uh, made this post... and you haven't seen any of the series?

They tortured the tardigrade before they knew how it worked at all (which was hosed up, and presented as hosed up), later they learned sentience was an important component, but not the only important component. They needed its technobabble DNA. The development this episode was injecting the technobabble DNA into a human, against the direct orders of the acting captain who called it out as banned genetic experimentation. The cliffhanger at the end of the episode was the implication that there were... side effects from this procedure. There's really no implication that this tech is at all viable in the long term.

This is a developing story you haven't even seen and you're trying to nitpick specifics? Jesus. Carry on I guess.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The Bloop posted:

They haven't even tried to explain how the ship moves into/out of the mushroom kingdom or why that travel is instantaneous.

Because physics is biology man

*takes rip off of his bong full of spores*

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The Bloop posted:

Please tell me the foley artist uses a Mario Bros. pipe sound effect for this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kurieg posted:

Because physics is biology man

*takes rip off of his bong full of spores*

did you notice that uh like they had to hotbox the spores and then they could go like, anywhere? But they didn't know where they were going man, they just took the ride where it took them and made the best of it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

Please tell me the foley artist uses a Mario Bros. pipe sound effect for this.

That would be better than most of the weakass sound effects on this show so far.

They do sprinkle in a mixture of TOS/ENT and TNG computer beeps which is cool I guess but the weapon sound effects are poo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

That would be better than most of the weakass sound effects on this show so far.

They do sprinkle in a mixture of TOS/ENT and TNG computer beeps which is cool I guess but the weapon sound effects are poo

Oh, like the phaser bursts that are all "thipthipthip thip thip thipthipthip"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just to be clear warp drive isn't nonsense, there have been real papers published about it. Now it requires matter with a negative mass and would kill everyone on board with Cerenkov radiation if you ever tried to stop but it's a little more fleshed out than "there are spores everywhere, and somehow we fold space"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Cerenkov radiation

This is why the Enterprise D's warp nacelles glow blue during the jump to warp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

adhuin posted:

There should be a special episode, Where Orville is the competent team sent to correct mistakes of a truly bottom-of-the-barrel Union ship.

Call the other ship Red Dwarf.