Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Sir Lemming posted:

They both get Aleve

As in, Aleve of absence from Jeopardy for being terrible

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funktopus
Jan 11, 2009
Holy poo poo what a weird outcome. You would think that Manny would have known right away, given his military experience (Air Force, right?). What ridiculous guesses.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Did the guy in the middle say "Weird Al" Yankovich instead of Yankovic?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

funktopus posted:

Holy poo poo what a weird outcome. You would think that Manny would have known right away, given his military experience (Air Force, right?). What ridiculous guesses.

Navy

and lol at the winner getting less than the 3rd place person

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Technically "Yankovich" is the correct pronounciation, it's just not the one Weird Al uses.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

HookShot posted:

Technically "Yankovich" is the correct pronounciation, it's just not the one Weird Al uses.

Didn't Frankie Yankovic use that pronounciation? Because there were those rumors in the 80's about him being Weird Al's dad.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I knew from the number of replies that something interesting had happened, but :lol:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

funktopus posted:

Apparently, the last guy to win with $1 was a military man himself, back in the early 90s. An Air Force Major, if I remember the story correctly.

Manny said in our FB group that he's gonna frame his copy of the release form we sign after the game stating how much we win, with the "First Place: $1" line prominently displayed. That was good for a laugh.

Also, terrible response last night from Fran. At least the other two were in the ballpark, but Tibet isn't even a country and is landlocked to boot. Too bad, she was doing pretty well, and is apparently Jeopardy's third trans contestant ever. She previously got a mini-profile in the NYT (dunno if it was only online) in a feature about trans individuals before she got the call and it mentioned her aspiring Jeopardy contestant status in the intro writeup as well.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

so if two people tie and lose do they each get the third place prize or what
Fran gets the 2nd place $2000 consolation prize and Carlos the 3rd place $1000 despite having the same amount of money after Final because apparently even in 2nd place, Jeopardy can't have ties anymore. I dunno if this was a rule change added alongside the new no ties after Final one and needing a tiebreaker question, but since they were tied going into Final but Fran was up going into Double Jeopardy, she gets 2nd place. I guess they needed these rules in case a tie ever happened in a tournament or something, but I don't remember them applying it to a regular game for a while now.

Mister Kingdom posted:

HookShot posted:

As long as it's a potential pronunciation from the spelling, the judges will accept it.

Sir Lemming posted:

They both get Aleve

As in, Aleve of absence from Jeopardy for being terrible

Nice. Doesn't work as well now that Geico is the pre-Final Jeopardy commercial sponsor (with Kelly from the Clue Crew doing the spot instead of Johnny Gilbert), but it's still funny, especially because of Alex Jacob's Final answer a while back to people who remember that.

Speaking of former champs, apparently former ToC contestant Kristin Sausville (who was in the same ToC as Alex Jacob) was on Millionaire these past couple of days. I missed it because lol being able to watch daytime TV, so I dunno how it turned out for her, but if you're interested to see how she did on another game show, give it a watch, I guess.

More interesting Jeopardy stories from FB include a anecdote about Scarlett, the woman who beat Austin Rogers last week, wearing an H&R Block t-shirt to her viewing party, a cheeky foreshadowing of her defeat of Austin to some in the know, referencing the Final Jeopardy question that Ken Jennings lost on, whose correct response is the aforementioned company (he also got free financial services for life from them because of the publicity, IIRC). Nice nod there.

Also, remember Anupama, the Indian lady who flamed out in Double Jeopardy prior to Austin's run and was one prime example amongst the other competitors of how badly most Jeopardy contestants are at sports in that category about NFL Hall of Famers when she thought the Rockies were a football team? The thing that led to a bunch of digital ink spilled about it, most prominently on Deadspin? Apparently, the Rockies recently tweeted her and are sending her a ton of merch because of the publicity she generated with her response, including IOU tickets and a signed photo from Marcus Allen, the HoFer who was in the clue she flubbed so badly, at their stadium. No word from Federer yet though (her contestant story was about Federer being her favorite athlete and going to tennis tournaments to watch him). Well, at least something good came of that!
https://mobile.twitter.com/Rockies/status/920681585174827008

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 18, 2017

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
How a naval officer doesn't know coastal geography, especially in a region of interest for US operations....

Still, a $1 win is pretty epic.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
ARE YOU KIDDING ME

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I take it back. I'm mad at him. He's an idiot.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Sir Lemming posted:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

Did he want to lose?

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
That may have been the worst bet I've ever seen in Jeopardy.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

What a moron.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I was googling the final jeopardy because I wanted to get the exact numbers to write and angry forums post

and an article came up that said "analyzing the worst Jeopardy game in history". So I clicked on it because obviously it would be about Manny's wagering today

but nope, it was about yesterday's game where he won with $1. which wasn't actually a bad strategy from the other two people who had to wager it all when they were tied

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I caught last night's fiasco but missed tonight, can someone give me a quick recap, because I can't believe anybody did any worse

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Manny!! was at like 19,000, 2nd place had like 9,600.

2nd place bet 300 and answered correctly.

Manny!! bet 17,000, answered wrong, and lost the game

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

Manny!! was at like 19,000, 2nd place had like 9,600.

2nd place bet 300 and answered correctly.

Manny!! bet 17,000, answered wrong, and lost the game

LOL I hate Manny so this is hilarious to me, I haven't watched tonight's show yet.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I liked Manny but goddamn.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Yeah, that was pretty drat bad. Former Teen Tournament contestant Josiah Takang and Ben Ingram, the ToC winner two back (he who beat Arthur Chu and Julia Collins) both considered it one of the worst bets so far on my FB feed. Expecting a lot more when I check tomorrow. I liked Manny, but drat if he didn't mess this one up real bad.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS
Manny thought he was Austin.

No one is Austin.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Manny thought he was Austin.

No one is Austin.

Thank god.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
6-letter synonym for "Apex".

What is "Apex"?

I like to think after that they said "screw it, give them Oscar Winners as the final category otherwise nobody will get it"

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
That wasn't a halberd at all, Jeopardy crew. The shaft and top spike were both way too short. Get it together. Gosh.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

brb, dabbing my wounds with mercury

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Sir Lemming posted:

6-letter synonym for "Apex".

What is "Apex"?

You called?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Austin "Apex" Rogers

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The sound effects added nothing to that category.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I appreciate that they are trying to keep things interesting and innovate new gimmick categories but I hope they never bring back that sound effects category

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah that was the most pointless thing. I doubt Trebek was a fan himself; one of the cues fired while he was reading.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

you know what really helps me think during a clue about a baby.....a crying baby sound effect

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

motherfuckers wearin tuxedos on jeopardy these days

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Complete with boutineer!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Soothing Vapors posted:

motherfuckers wearin tuxedos on jeopardy these days
the anti-Chu

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Does Alex know where the Daily Doubles are?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Mister Kingdom posted:

Does Alex know where the Daily Doubles are?

He does when the 'pew pew pew pew pew pew' sound effects go off

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Yeah, he knows, because he always says "The answer is" right before the sound effect goes off instead of some variation of "here is your clue".

Always.

Also, I laughed at Alex when he said "Godfrey Daniels!" "God drat It!" in response to Nan's story about being invested in phrases to get around censorship on network TV.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alex used to goof off and crack jokes all the time when he hosted shows that weren't as focused on the questions (e.g. High Rollers, Classic Concentration)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWlF69d8b-c

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU2w72KAkQQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Matchups for the ToC are up, tournament airs starting next week!

https://www.jeopardy.com/tournaments/2017/tournament-of-champions

Oh, and all the contestants and Alex are wearing the blue ribbons in memory of Cindy Stowell, which I think was a really nice touch.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 30, 2017