Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They’re going to monetize the shiiiiiiiit out of this one, aren’t they?

Also Frick let me know when you want more soul keys. I can still carry through both Attack and Shaolin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What's the single player going to be like? I have no interest in MP

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Didn't ya hear, BOTG is that hip new buzzword that should both drive sales and mask abuse.

Also yeah I guess I can try tonight for that. New week of spoopy poo poo and the GORE CAMO.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

I haven't seen it yet, someone start comparing everyone in the video to a regular in the thread. :v:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mister Facetious posted:

I haven't seen it yet, someone start comparing everyone in the video to a regular in the thread. :v:

Well Coltron is without a doubt the guy in the barfight.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
I am the cranky sleeping baby being carried by the god tier sharpshooter.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I was thinking of using Ordinance, but Saboteur sounds like it will be way better, especially with how many assists I get.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
SP wise I think IW's was pretty drat solid with decent space battles. I doubt ww2's will be very good.

If I wanted a ww2 game SP that caught my emotions I'd go back to playing Brothers in arms on my og xbox.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
https://charlieintel.com/2017/10/17/patent-reveals-activision-uses-matchmaking-encourage-players-buy-microtransactions/

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Yes we get it, Destiny 2 has one-time use shaders. The game rains them down on you. You don't have to spend any money on the game. I have an Exotic Sparrow that shoots fireworks out of its exhaust, and I spent $0 getting it.

We would have no idea if this patent has been implemented in Activision's games. Not once have I felt like I was seeing a lot of people with weapons from lootboxes.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I think Michael Condry (some guy who okay'd the BAL Obsidian Steed) even tweeted "IT'S NOT GONNA BE IN WW2"

... which means it probably will, since oops that was a leaked feature, can't leak features now that's bad, now to recode this so the leaks were wrong and I look great.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mill Village posted:

Yes we get it, Destiny 2 has one-time use shaders. The game rains them down on you. You don't have to spend any money on the game. I have an Exotic Sparrow that shoots fireworks out of its exhaust, and I spent $0 getting it.

We would have no idea if this patent has been implemented in Activision's games. Not once have I felt like I was seeing a lot of people with weapons from lootboxes.

Hell, I have three exotic sparrows, two exotic ships, multiple exotic weapon ornaments, and several exotic emotes, and I haven't purchased anything with real money. The game basically gives you 9 easily obtainable bright engrams a week if you have three characters at level 20, and if you break down all the poo poo you don't want, you'll get a ton of bright dust. The only thing is if you buy something expensive with bright dust, you will probably not get enough the next week if you want something expensive again.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/how-activision-uses-matchmaking-tricks-to-sell-in-game-items-w509288

quote:

Activision Researched Using Matchmaking Tricks to Sell In-Game Items
In-game purchases are a multi-billion dollar business for Activision.

Activision was granted a patent this month for a system it uses to convince people in multiplayer games to purchase items for a game through microtransactions. But Activision tells Glixel that the technology is not currently in any games. "This was an exploratory patent filed in 2015 by an R&D team working independently from our game studios," an Activision spokesperson tells Glixel. "It has not been implemented in-game." Bungie also confirmed to Glixel that the technology isn't being used in Destiny 2. The "System and method for driving microtransactions in multiplayer video games" was filed in 2015, but granted on October 17th, according to the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. The patent details how multiplayer matches are configured, specifically how players are selected to play with one another. That process used by Activision involves a computer looking at a wide variety of factors including skill level, Internet latency, availability of friends and other things. It then goes through a system to first soft-reserve a slot in a game for a player and then assign the players to the same match. This patent, though, specifically discusses how that system for pairing up players can also be used to entice a player to purchase in-game items. "For example, in one implementation, the system may include a microtransaction engine that arranges matches to influence game-related purchases," according to the patent. "For instance, the microtransaction engine may match a more expert/marquee player with a junior player to encourage the junior player to make game-related purchases of items possessed/used by the marquee player. A junior player may wish to emulate the marquee player by obtaining weapons or other items used by the marquee player."

The patent goes on to note that the same information could be used to identify which sorts of in-game purchasable items should be promoted. The system can also be much more specific in its analysis of potential customers in a game: "In a particular example, the junior player may wish to become an expert sniper in a game (e.g., as determined from the player profile)," according to the patent. "The microtransaction engine may match the junior player with a player that is a highly skilled sniper in the game. In this manner, the junior player may be encouraged to make game-related purchases such as a rifle or other item used by the marquee player. " The system can also drop players into matches that will make use of an in-game-related purchase, according to the patent. "Doing so may enhance a level of enjoyment by the player for the game-related purchase, which may encourage future purchases," according to the patent. "For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results." The patent also makes it clear that while the examples used in the patent are all for a first-person-shooter game, the system could be used across a wide variety of titles.

Activision recently courted a bit of controversy with in-game purchases and Destiny 2. The Bungie-developed, Activision-published game stirred some player anger after its release with the way the game's Shaders work. In the original game, a player could find or purchase for real money, a shader that could be used an unlimited amount of times on weapons and armor. In Destiny 2, the Shaders can still be purchased or found, but players feel they're too hard to find and now, once used on a single item they vanish.
In 2016, Activision Blizzard said it earned $3.6 billion from in-game sales, up from 2015's $1.6 billion.

tl;dr - It won't matter how good the servers are, it'll match you up with whomever will be more likely to buy poo poo because you're good. It also means, that because goons are so much better than anyone else, any goon team with less than six people will get the shittiest newbs the game can match us up with on purpose, because our awesomeness will convince them to buy loot boxes.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 18, 2017

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
should i come back :/

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/glixel/news/how-activision-uses-matchmaking-tricks-to-sell-in-game-items-w509288

tl;dr - It won't matter how good the servers are, it'll match you up with whomever will be more likely to buy poo poo because you're good. It also means, that because goons are so much better than anyone else, any goon team with less than six people will get the shittiest newbs the game can match us up with on purpose, because our awesomeness will convince them to buy loot boxes.

Welp GG no re, Sledgehammer. More people don't believe you I guess.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mister Facetious posted:

I mean getting matched with the worst loving pubbies has been our norm for years now. That this is now just an open part of the system won’t change that.

Also y’all haven’t been around for 3 days now and we got new contracts yesterday (they’re poo poo, but still). Also I want to carry you fuckers to get DC so we can have fun zombie times.

EDIT: side note - MGS5 is really loving fun.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mister Facetious posted:

This falls apart with goons however, when Macys or Jack go making GBS threads all over people with things like pistols :haw:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

This falls apart with goons however, when Macys or Jack go making GBS threads all over people with things like pistols :haw:

I find you need at least one goon to cancel out each pub on your team.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mister Facetious posted:

It makes sense that there might be an algorithm that tries to balance/average team KDs - it prevents total stompages and makes it more fun for the people who aren't as good. But leave it to Activision to do it with the sole purpose of making money.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog

Mister Facetious posted:

You and me macy's, we're gonna go places. Can't wait for this to come out.

If you ditch it I will find you and replace everything you love with poutine.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

But I like poutine... I even have pictures of it on my FB.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Bob why you leaving me for this game without jet packs

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

il n'a pas de Nazis.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Bob why you leaving me for this game without jet packs

Didn't you already abandon IW for MGS:V?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kizurue posted:

Didn't you already abandon IW for MGS:V?

All I need is an invite, friend. Or for Frick or anyone else that wants a soul key to let me know so I can go do a carry run.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

It makes sense that there might be an algorithm that tries to balance/average team KDs - it prevents total stompages and makes it more fun for the people who aren't as good. But leave it to Activision to do it with the sole purpose of making money.

Activision denied that they've been doing this, for what that's worth*

*Nothing, Activision has totally been doing this

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Here's a thought; if Activision's matchmaking system pairs you with players with the loot box weapons, what happens if goons never buy them?

Will we always get good/rich players on our team instead? :haw:

Will CoD: WWII become don't pay to win? :ironicat:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

That won't work because we gotta pay to play the game. :v:

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Will macys finally realise that he is the reason we get sweaty tryhard matched to us?

The world may never know

:ironicat:

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I've been playing a decent amount of Destiny 2 PVP, its a sweat fest almost every game, unless you bring bad players with you. This doesn't happen in COD. Its not perfect, but COD tries to prioritize connection quality over skill level. Destiny 2 does the opposite.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Am I a statistical anomaly then? The kind that never spent a dime on loot boxes but consistently comes in top 3 despite being a half-blind fat old man?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hail to the King, baby. :clint:

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Will macys finally realise that he is the reason we get sweaty tryhard matched to us?

Asks francophone gamer with a W/L and K/D 50% higher than my own. :ironicat:

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
I guess there's an implied sexual assault scene in COD2K17:WWII

Spoilers for anyone sensitive about how the events of World War 2 playout

quote:

In one section of the game, the player controls Rosseau, a female spy, as she infiltrates a German building. While inside, she witnesses a woman as she is dragged by a Nazi soldier into a closet, against her will, screaming, “You’re all pigs!”

Rosseau opes the closet door, as the soldier says, “Leave. This is none of your business.” The player is then given the option to kill the soldier or leave.

If the player chooses to leave, the player closes the door, as the soldier is heard unziping his fly and viewed advancing towards the woman. She screams, “Ah! Get away from me!” as Rosseau leaves.

It is implied that the soldier is going to sexually assault the woman, but at no time is the assault depicted.

In the year 2017, Press X to Bark has been replaced by Press X to let the Nazi gently caress

imo this is gross and shouldn't even be a player choice. A game about WWII and fighting Nazis, all player actions should be always come down to kill nazis.

~~videoo games~~ :shrug:

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!

Wazzit posted:

In the year 2017, Press X to Bark has been replaced by Press X to let the Nazi gently caress

imo this is gross and shouldn't even be a player choice. A game about WWII and fighting Nazis, all player actions should be always come down to kill nazis.

Why would you ever choose anything that ISN'T "Kill the Nazi"?

In all seriousness, is that scenario really objectively worse than shooting up an airport full of women and children? It's supposed to highlight the horrors of war.

Mister Facetious posted:

Hail to the King, baby. :clint:

King of killin' nazis.

Manxome Foe fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 19, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wazzit posted:

CoD: WWII - We think you need a reason to kill Nazis other than "they're loving Nazis"

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 19, 2017

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Seems like a pointless sequence to me, especially after them trying to be fairly PC by removing nazi symbols from MP and Zombie modes. Don't see why this needed to be added, we already hate nazis, don't need to drive the point home that they're evil.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Activision will publicly post the names of everyone that chooses to leave.

Aside from the silly lets kill everyone ending mission, I don’t think IW had any bad taste scenes like that in the campaign. Just another reason IW is the superior game.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Wazzit posted:

Do you get an achievement for leaving?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Activision will publicly post the names of everyone that chooses to leave.

Aside from the silly lets kill everyone ending mission, I don’t think IW had any bad taste scenes like that in the campaign. Just another reason IW is the superior game.

IW made Mars the badguy, when it should be imperialist Earth. They failed the most fundamental rule of solar system science fiction: Earth is always the enemy, Mars is always in rebellion/agitating for independence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Wazzit posted:

Gotta outdo IW's "let's shoot up the airport" mission. Which... how the gently caress is that more palatable than letting some analrapist Nazi do his thing.

Fuckin' hell, SHG. Could you stop trying to be so edgy with your horrors of war poo poo. It's prob a reason not to play the campaign.

• Locked thread