Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
So ghost wars isn't a fake reality show? Do I want to watch it?

Edit, what the hell, the cast looks good, I set a timer.

wormil fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

wormil posted:

So ghost wars isn't a fake reality show? Do I want to watch it?

The show follows a small island town in Alaska, partway through the first episode there's some kind of earthquake which somehow messes things up on a spiritual level and now anyone who dies on the island becomes an angry ghost. The main character, Roman, is an outcast being the son of the local psychic and everyone thinks he's crazy because he is always talking to people who aren't there but that's because he can see ghosts.

The first episode was interesting and like most Syfy stuff now had pretty good production values.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Solid first ep and I'm definitely in but there were a bunch of awkward cuts in there. Felt like there's a pilot that goes over the regular hour block runtime and we got a trimmed version of that.

Glad to see some continuum alumni though. Garza! criminally underused on Continuum, hope she shows up more frequently here.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

muscles like this! posted:

there's some kind of earthquake which somehow messes things up on a spiritual level and now anyone who dies on the island becomes an angry ghost. .

Well at least they didn't get turned into enraged skeletons

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The Van Helsing premier was pretty good too. That wall trap scene owned.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The show follows a small island town in Alaska, partway through the first episode there's some kind of earthquake which somehow messes things up on a spiritual level and now anyone who dies on the island becomes an angry ghost. The main character, Roman, is an outcast being the son of the local psychic and everyone thinks he's crazy because he is always talking to people who aren't there but that's because he can see ghosts.

The first episode was interesting and like most Syfy stuff now had pretty good production values.

How representative was the trailer for the show? Because the trailer made it look like it was all over the place tonally, not to mention plain dumb.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I thought it was tonally consistent with it pretty direct in being a straight horror show. I also thought they did a pretty good job subverting some standard tropes, like once things get going people are pretty quick to believe Roman about all the ghost stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I thought it was tonally consistent with it pretty direct in being a straight horror show. I also thought they did a pretty good job subverting some standard tropes, like once things get going people are pretty quick to believe Roman about all the ghost stuff.

That scene in the church was pretty good -- I love that we got to see each of the four different bureaucrats react in different, but logically consistent (and fairly reasonable ways) ways. D'onofrio's drunk the kool-aid, President Servalan Mayor Garza recognises that there's a problem but remains the only holdout in the room, and both the cops don't fully understand what Roman's saying, but understand enough to suggest completely complementary plans.

No idea what was going on that final shot. At first I thought it was suggesting that the bridge was even more broken than we first thought, but then the island vanished. (Not into the distance, it just disappears at the same moment we realise that the destruction to the bridge is worse than we first thought). So has the island been sucked into an alternate dimension?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Open Source Idiom posted:

No idea what was going on that final shot. At first I thought it was suggesting that the bridge was even more broken than we first thought, but then the island vanished. (Not into the distance, it just disappears at the same moment we realise that the destruction to the bridge is worse than we first thought). So has the island been sucked into an alternate dimension?

Yeah that was a weird shot, I think it was implying that just as they can't leave, that no one from the mainland can get to the island either.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Basically, foreshadowing the "Why can't they just get someone to fly in a helicopter" pointers of the obvious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I think what it was saying was that the island has vanished to the outside world. So they can't expect any help from there.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Sheriff's scene in the morgue was really well done especially the flip.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Just when I thought I couldn't love modern Syfy more they went and gave Mario Van Peebles a show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmjkorkKakA

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Whoa, Ghost Wars was not what I was expecting. Kinda 6th Sense meets Silent Hill.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tokubetsu posted:

Just when I thought I couldn't love modern Syfy more they went and gave Mario Van Peebles a show?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmjkorkKakA

That is a handsome head hes got there.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tonight on Van Helsing: Axel's back!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Forgive the off-topic post but I think this is the best thread, it would just get lost in the general thread ... I don't remember where I heard of it but BYUtv has a new series called Extinct. (Yeah, I didn't know there was a BYUtv channel either but I have it on DISH) Trigger warning !! It was written by Orson Scott Card. But there is nothing obviously political about it (2 episodes in). It takes place 400 years after aliens wipe out humanity. New aliens come to Earth and attempt to revive human beings, but there are mysteries and plot twists, and that's just episode 1 & 2. Anyway, I like it. It feels like something you would see on CW but lower budget.
/offtopic

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

wormil posted:

Forgive the off-topic post but I think this is the best thread, it would just get lost in the general thread ... I don't remember where I heard of it but BYUtv has a new series called Extinct. (Yeah, I didn't know there was a BYUtv channel either but I have it on DISH) Trigger warning !! It was written by Orson Scott Card. But there is nothing obviously political about it (2 episodes in). It takes place 400 years after aliens wipe out humanity. New aliens come to Earth and attempt to revive human beings, but there are mysteries and plot twists, and that's just episode 1 & 2. Anyway, I like it. It feels like something you would see on CW but lower budget.
/offtopic

I was told in Couch Chat he was a Mormon and the BYUtv is a Mormon thing so i decided to take off the watch list.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Rocksicles posted:

I was told in Couch Chat he was a Mormon and the BYUtv is a Mormon thing so i decided to take off the watch list.

Mormon I could deal with. Massively racist homophobic rear end in a top hat, not so much.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Same diff, right? There many black mormons? or Scientologists for that matter...

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
syfy put the entire mario van peebles pilot online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YPUSMAACWE

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rocksicles posted:

It hasn't converted me yet. But I've read a lot of books on political and social ideologies with which I disagree and didn't turn into a wacko so maybe I'm immunized. As a religion outsider, all the Christian sects are nearly indistinguishable: Mormons, Baptists, Catholics, or whatever, to me it's all...

And from what I can tell, they all have a fair share of racist, homophobic, assholes. But I really don't care about any of that because if I based my viewing on ideologies of people involved in production or financing, I wouldn't watch anything at all, or read many books, or work for many companies.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Back on topic, I watched the first 2 episodes of CZ, No End House and it's better than S1. Digging it so far.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
every time the doc is on screen in van helsing im like why is she alive when so many others are dead :argh:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Here I was thinking Van Helsing would actually have something nice happen to Vanessa for once.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Here I was thinking Van Helsing would actually have something nice happen to Vanessa for once.

Happiness is an illusion.

Embrace nihilism.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Anyone still following Channel Zero this season? The characters all seem to be super dumb. Maybe just entering the No End House does irreversible brain damage.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, all of the characters have brain damage considering that the cannibals steal memories.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Is it just me or should they have switched this week's and last week's episodes of Ghost Wars?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Anyone still following Channel Zero this season? The characters all seem to be super dumb. Maybe just entering the No End House does irreversible brain damage.

Do you feel they are unrealistically dumb? Or just dumb? I don't hold dumb characters against a show unless it relies on stupidity to move the plot and this hasn't. I feel like they have unrealistically mature conversations and responses to complex situations. The girl doesn't freak out seeing her dead father, she deals with it way too rationally. Seth casually chooses to murder the father with all the passion of pouring a bowl of cereal. They both sit and watch the father eat a poisoned puppy with little discomfort and Margot even asks to hold a piece. But that's common, the teenagers never act like teenagers. Jules is the only one acting in a believable way, like she's in shock. I am still enjoying the season. John Lynch is killing it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

wormil posted:

Do you feel they are unrealistically dumb? Or just dumb? I don't hold dumb characters against a show unless it relies on stupidity to move the plot and this hasn't. I feel like they have unrealistically mature conversations and responses to complex situations. The girl doesn't freak out seeing her dead father, she deals with it way too rationally. Seth casually chooses to murder the father with all the passion of pouring a bowl of cereal. They both sit and watch the father eat a poisoned puppy with little discomfort and Margot even asks to hold a piece. But that's common, the teenagers never act like teenagers. Jules is the only one acting in a believable way, like she's in shock. I am still enjoying the season. John Lynch is killing it.

Until this episode it was only real bad for Jules. People behaved suboptimally, but as long as they were inside the house there could be something in the air that was making them dumber than usual. It is a dreamy setting and people are acting on dream logic.

But why does Jules keep wandering off without telling anyone? Inside I assumed it must have been the orb influencing her somehow, but she did it in the real world too. Is she drunk? Stoned? Just a huge flake? People have died because she gave in to a sudden urge to wander off for some orb time. She just seems really unlikable. It would be more understandable if she had some horrific abuse or experiences and what the house offered her was the ability to forget, but nothing we've seen from her perspective hints at anything like that. She has some friction with her mom and feels guilty about how she has treated Margot. There is nothing in her story that explains her desire to :orb:

I like the show, but taking it into the real world for an episode didn't work for me.

I started rolling my eyes pretty hard when Margot is being stalked by the temporarily blind guy and she desperately needs to keep him from touching her. So while he is a couple feet away she slooooowly creeps across the kitchen past several chairs and other easily movable obstacles to try to get to the back door. He's blind, just throw some chairs at him and run for it. Or throw a bunch of crap on the floor to trip him up and you can move around the house at your leisure. He's not Daredevil, it's really easy to trip blind bipeds, especially ones that are primed to lunge toward any noise.

A crazy guy who thinks he is your dead father is stalking you: just call the police. You're in the real world now, in a fancy suburb, the police will come. You don't have to say anything about the freaky haunted house, you don't know where he came from or why he looks like your dad. Once they take him away and he has no food he will definitely act like a crazy person and then start to quickly physically decay. Yeah, that is going to be really weird for the cops and hospital that has to deal with it, but it won't be YOUR problem anymore.

Margot going along with Seth's plan made no drat sense. How does going back in improve anything for her? It won't be any easier to kill the father on the inside, and if they don't kill him they have to deal with him constantly trying to feed on Margot. Plus there are starving cannibals who will try to feed on anyone they see. It's really hard to get away inside the house, but in the real world she can just drive to the next town and he'll never find her. Being trapped in the house with him is objectively worse in every way than being in the real world with access to weapons, travel, and police. It is the worst possible plan.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

But why does Jules keep wandering off without telling anyone? Inside I assumed it must have been the orb influencing her somehow, but she did it in the real world too. Is she drunk? Stoned? Just a huge flake? People have died because she gave in to a sudden urge to wander off for some orb time. She just seems really unlikable. It would be more understandable if she had some horrific abuse or experiences and what the house offered her was the ability to forget, but nothing we've seen from her perspective hints at anything like that. She has some friction with her mom and feels guilty about how she has treated Margot. There is nothing in her story that explains her desire to :orb:

I think you're right, and that she's doing this deliberately. She doesn't want to be tied down to Margot or her family anymore, but she feels too guilty to leave them. So she's trying to erase them from her memory.

As for the rest, I can't say. I'm an episode behind still. But we haven't had an explanation for why the orb looks like it does, right? Perhaps there's more story to tell here.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Margot going along with Seth's plan made no drat sense.

I think (hope) there is a twist coming for Jules otherwise I don't understand her at all but at least she seems freaked out. Have we seen or do we know anything at all about Jule's family?

Seth's plan is obviously to get Margot back in the house with him. Why Margot would go along with that ... is bordering on stupidity driving the plot.

When it comes to calling the cops, I completely agree with you but it's not a deal breaker for me. I have this discussion with my neighbors all the time, people don't like dealing with cops. They see suspicious people, drunk drivers, or they record someone snooping around on security video and they don't want to call the police.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

Not yet! Got the first 5 on dvr and will probably slam through them this weekend leading up to the finale

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

wormil posted:

I think (hope) there is a twist coming for Jules otherwise I don't understand her at all but at least she seems freaked out. Have we seen or do we know anything at all about Jule's family?

She has a single mom who smokes weed and a sister. No dad. Their house interior didn't look as nice as Margot's, but they live in the same neighbourhood and went to the same schools as a very affluent white suburb and they had the money for Jules to go to university, so they seem to be doing alright financially despite being a single parent household. None of which gives any hint why she might secretly be super hosed up and want to forget her childhood.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Is it just me or should they have switched this week's and last week's episodes of Ghost Wars?

Yeah i think they were going for classic heres all this crazy poo poo then here's the explanation but we needed more eps with lambda lady for that to work better I think (a couple eps of her being suspicious in town etc). Now it just feels like we got 2 eps out of order lol

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I liked the order, it gave a sense of what was happening, then a explanation as to why. Rather than smash you in the face with it like an idiot.

It's a good show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My problem was that we saw her in last week's episode which took place after all this stuff happened, which kind of leeched any tension out of her scenes. Outside of the bit at the very end of the episode this could have aired last week and I think it would had a better flow.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Yeah, this order was better. This episode had a different feel than the first two and had it come second it would have seemed like the tone was all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone watch Superstition?