Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yogi Berra is the only moral Yankee because he eventually saw the error of his wicked Yankee ways and came to Houston.

Short Round is the only good Yankees fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Short Round is the only good Yankees fan.

Wow Altuve is a Yankees fan? Seems like a conflict of interest.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Inspector_666 posted:

Wow Altuve is a Yankees fan? Seems like a conflict of interest.

You call him MVP, doll!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

So I got into a fight on Twitter about how there's nothing wrong with bandwagon fans and some guy just told me that not rooting for the same team every year is "immoral" and I'm still kind of reeling here.

"Man I wish more people were into baseball in my city."

*Team gets good, more fans start watching and attending games*

"gently caress you, bandwagon fans!"

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

STAC Goat posted:

Bronx and Manhattan are hardcore Yankee.

Disagree with Manhattan, because it is essentially populated with the children of Russian billionaires, hedge fund dudes and law firm partners, all of whom have no souls which make them incapable of forming an emotional attachment to a sports team.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Inspector_666 posted:

I have learned to love and accept that gif into my heart and let it represent me in my entirety as a person.

Also everybody in NY is fully in agreement re: Midtown.

Are you Blackstone or Apollo? Or was your dad one of those so you can exist in Brooklyn operating an artisinal bike chain shop.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sab0921 posted:

Are you Blackstone or Apollo? Or was your dad one of those so you can exist in Brooklyn operating an artisinal bike chain shop.

What is Apollo?

EDIT: I actually have a lot of personal experience with Blackstone-related stuff though.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Oct 19, 2017

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yogi Berra is the only moral Yankee because he eventually saw the error of his wicked Yankee ways and came to Houston.

Remind me, where was he from?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Sab0921 posted:

Disagree with Manhattan, because it is essentially populated with the children of Russian billionaires, hedge fund dudes and law firm partners, all of whom have no souls which make them incapable of forming an emotional attachment to a sports team.

Manhattan is a very densely populated island with a LOT of neighborhoods and people.

They sit in the OF. All the guys behind the plate are the assholes you're thinking of.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

such as?

The problem is that all the lefty platoon bats this year are bad, and Seager is currently hurt. Grandal has looked lost for awhile (though at least he drew 3 walks last night), Joc's swing is a mess, and Utley looks overmatched.

-Pederson in Center
-Hernandez in Center
-Culberson at short, Taylor in Center
-Austin Barnes at Center

You said it yourself, Granderson is a black hole. Yes I know Hernandez is only for playing against LHP. But when your LH platoon bats suck this bad, there’s no reason to stick so rigidly to matchups. I’ll take a slight chance of a hit from someone with a bad split over a basically 0 chance of a hit from Granderson. Same goes for Utley/Forsythe to a lesser extent.

I’m also not saying that giving Joc a start would have won the game last night, but using Granderson as anything but the last man off the bench is completely indefensible at this point.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Manhattan is a very densely populated island with a LOT of neighborhoods and people.

No dude Washington Heights and East Harlem is entirely Russians and lawyers you dummy. Also Chinatown.

Also Brooklyn is literally just the 3 blocks closest to the river in Williamsburg repeated forever until you hit that weird corridor of Queens that only exists to link JFK to LGA.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

"Man I wish more people were into baseball in my city."

*Team gets good, more fans start watching and attending games*

"gently caress you, bandwagon fans!"

loving seriously, it's so goddamn dumb.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 19, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Inspector_666 posted:

No dude Washington Heights and East Harlem is entirely Russians and lawyers you dummy. Also Chinatown.

I have Chelsea/Hell's Kitchen/Village/Washington Heights upbringing and its just really funny to think of people thinking of Manhattan as some kind of homogenized Mad Men/Wall Street whatever. Like the city revolves around Trump Tower or something as opposed to that just being one building lost in a mess of hundreds others that I actually couldn't find if you asked me directions.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

STAC Goat posted:

NY is a Yankee city. Mets fans scatter weird and I tend to find them more in Jersey, Long Island, Staten Island. South Jersey is Phillies territory, I think.

Bronx and Manhattan are hardcore Yankee.

edit: Yeah, when you said "downstate" I totally thought you were talking Jersey. I'm incapable of wrapping my mind around "downstate New York" as anything north of NYC. Sorry.

At this point once you get past Westchester and Rockland it's upstate

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I went to Binghamton you fuckers and I had this argument with all my friends from Long Island

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Lol hating bandwagon fans what

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

Lol hating bandwagon fans what

https://twitter.com/VelvetxTwist/status/921132871275962370

I really want to go in on his loving handle but I'm walking away from this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have two simple rules for fandom.

1) If you're going to wear the colors after a win you gotta wear them after a loss.

2) If you quit on the game/series/season you're gonna get clowned when you come back when they come back.

Otherwise, what's more fun than having all your friends, family, and coworkers suddenly excited about the thing you're excited by?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

https://twitter.com/VelvetxTwist/status/921132871275962370

I really want to go in on his loving handle but I'm walking away from this.

The top post is saying that he likes the ride or die Yanks fans that "suffered". Suffered through what? a 90 win season with no playoff berth or something.

Also LOL if you don't think/know Manhattan is just a playground for the rich and working class people are slowly but surely being priced out such that there is essentially zero affordable housing left.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
What level of bandwagon fans are we talking about here?

"Oh my home team is doing well this year, I'm going to root for them"?, "Oh x popular team is in the playoffs, I'm going to root for them"?, "Of the 4 teams remaining, I like x the most so I'll root for them", or going so far as to buy merchandise of the team (regular or even worse postseason gear)?

As long as someone isn't hopping from one team to another every year while acting like they've always been a fan, that's a little weird. I wouldn't say immoral though thats a step too far.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Who even cares about one of those "picks the best team each year" fans? Who are they hurting? They just end up standing out like clowns because they don't have any fellow fans around them. Then you have an easily mockable character trait in your friend.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The only time a band wagon fan is annoying is when they're the poo poo talking type who has to rub their teams success and your teams failure in your face despite not knowing half the players names.

If your team is out of contention what are you just supposed to stop watching baseball for the year?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Popete posted:

The only time a band wagon fan is annoying is when they're the poo poo talking type who has to rub their teams success and your teams failure in your face despite not knowing half the players names.

If your team is out of contention what are you just supposed to stop watching baseball for the year?

Yeah, but that's not a "bandwagon" fan. Its just an rear end in a top hat. Its not like that behavior gets more tolerable if they know every player's number or something.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Pancakes posted:

Remind me, where was he from?

You can't claim him if he escaped your state. :colbert:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Intruder posted:

Liking the Yankees is exactly the same as liking the Patriots or the Lakers

No, Patriots fans desperately want people to like their team and revere them for their accomplishments and think that people who hate their team are just jealous of their success and secretly wished they themselves were Patriots fans.

That's nothing like Yankees or Lakers fans, who either revel in their team's illustrious history while accepting the hate it brings them, are arrogant jerks, or are just casual baseball fans bandwagoning the most popular option.

The correct comparison you're looking for is the Dallas Cowboys.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

-Pederson in Center
-Hernandez in Center
-Culberson at short, Taylor in Center
-Austin Barnes at Center

You said it yourself, Granderson is a black hole. Yes I know Hernandez is only for playing against LHP. But when your LH platoon bats suck this bad, there’s no reason to stick so rigidly to matchups. I’ll take a slight chance of a hit from someone with a bad split over a basically 0 chance of a hit from Granderson. Same goes for Utley/Forsythe to a lesser extent.

I’m also not saying that giving Joc a start would have won the game last night, but using Granderson as anything but the last man off the bench is completely indefensible at this point.
I don’t think there’s an argument for any of those being any better against RHP than Granderson. Certainly not enough to get mad about it. And if you honestly want to play Austin Barnes in CF in the NLCS you’re nuts. At least suggest like Barnes catch Grandal at first and Bellinger in CF. But they aren’t going to do that either because the defensive downgrade is not worth the minor offensive upgrade.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 20, 2017

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Totally done with the Granderson experiment. I know he is a nice guy and everybody loves him but it does not matter right now. There isn't a single poster ITT who could be worse than Granderson has been at the plate. Think on that.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I don't think I saw it posted yet but it looks like the Red Sox have chosen current Astros bench coach, Alex Cora, to be their new manager and are just waiting for the ALCS finish before announcing it.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tigers are hiring Ron Gardenhire

Can't wait to see Miguel Cabrera bunt.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Super Jay Mann posted:

No, Patriots fans desperately want people to like their team and revere them for their accomplishments and think that people who hate their team are just jealous of their success and secretly wished they themselves were Patriots fans.

That's nothing like Yankees or Lakers fans, who either revel in their team's illustrious history while accepting the hate it brings them, are arrogant jerks, or are just casual baseball fans bandwagoning the most popular option.

The correct comparison you're looking for is the Dallas Cowboys.

Being desperate to escape the negativity of being a fan of other such bandwagon teams is a hallmark of bandwagon teams as well

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I don’t think there’s an argument for any of those being any better against RHP than Granderson. Certainly not enough to get mad about it. And if you honestly want to play Austin Barnes in CF in the NLCS you’re nuts. At least suggest like Barnes catch Grandal at first and Bellinger in CF. But they aren’t going to do that either because the defensive downgrade is not worth the minor offensive upgrade.

That was a joke dude, and also may I point out that Kiké’s Grand Slam was against an RHP??? 😏

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

That was a joke dude, and also may I point out that Kiké’s Grand Slam was against an RHP??? 😏
I'll take Keeks starting over Grandy against RHP at this point, sure. I also won't kid myself that it's a huge upgrade, even with tonight's display.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Let's go Yankees!

Or Astros IDC which.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tigers are hiring Ron Gardenhire

i genuinely believe that if he had been an ex Padres manager and not an ex Twins manager this would not be happening

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The Cubs are dead, long live the Cubs.

My Dodger roommate pulled for the Cubs last year, so this year it's my turn. Please smash the ever loving poo poo out of the Yankees. Or the Astros, if they pull off a miracle.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I thought Ron Gardenhire was a pretty okay guy. Is he terrible?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Hell yeah

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
My Cubs are dead and I want blood. Or beer. I'll take both.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'd like some sausage in honor of the season. A nice Polish actually.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
We either get a clash of titans in Dodgers/Astros, or an entry into the World Series Canon in Dodgers/Yankees. Hell fuckin yeah.

• Locked thread