Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Did you do a little too much LDS at Berkeley? :xd:

?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

hahahaha.

I was so happy with what happened with that.

gently caress Mormons.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Causality is stupid.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The usual scenario for FTL violating causality is things moving around near each other at relativistic speeds. I'm not sure how warp bubbles would affect that scenario. Probably very intense cerenkov radiation would be involved.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Arglebargle III posted:

The usual scenario for FTL violating causality is things moving around near each other at relativistic speeds. I'm not sure how warp bubbles would affect that scenario. Probably very intense cerenkov radiation would be involved.

The Exoirdium series (highly recommended) has tactical FTL travel. It makes space combat veeery interesting. An actual real-life naval analyst talks about it here:

http://www.kentaurus.com/exordium.htm#tactics

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

As I understand it, traveling faster than light relative to the immediately surrounding space results in causality issues because time and space are linked and stuff gets weird. But taking a geometric shortcut while light takes the long way round is fine. Space is a twisty mountain road and warp drives go as the crow flies.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Gynovore posted:

One time, Nana Visitor fell and sprained an ankle and had to go to the hospital. She still had her nose ridges on, so the doctors thought it was some weird condition.

This story doesn't really track for me. Like what doctor looks at a hosed up nose and just assumes its a condition they never heard of. Like someone would have been like, what the gently caress is up with your nose at the very least, mainly because after establishing why you are an ER, the very next thing asked is "do you have any other medical conditions?" And if she answered "no" the appropriate follow up is "what the gently caress is up with your nose then?"

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

How would you compare the relative time it takes for said ship to get there versus regular old light?

It's probably longer than you think, dad. Longer than you think.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

swickles posted:

This story doesn't really track for me. Like what doctor looks at a hosed up nose and just assumes its a condition they never heard of. Like someone would have been like, what the gently caress is up with your nose at the very least, mainly because after establishing why you are an ER, the very next thing asked is "do you have any other medical conditions?" And if she answered "no" the appropriate follow up is "what the gently caress is up with your nose then?"

You haven't met many ER doctors, have you?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

This show sucks.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Brawnfire posted:

[general Vortagh stands with his bat'leth poised, surrounded by a mass of tribbles, some malevolently purring, others sliced in half and purring in a sad way]

[He begins to shake his head, laughing airily through his noise]

Vortagh: whaaaaaat even the gently caress, man? Holy drat.

Trap sprung, I guess, but tribbles shriek in the presence of Klingons.

I see Alara shops at the same store as Guinan.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arglebargle III posted:

Just to be clear warp drive isn't nonsense, there have been real papers published about it. Now it requires matter with a negative mass and would kill everyone on board with Cerenkov radiation if you ever tried to stop but it's a little more fleshed out than "there are spores everywhere, and somehow we fold space"

Negative matter has all sorts of fun properties that probably rule it out from actually existing. If you have a ball of matter and a ball of negative matter of the same mass (well, the same absolute value), the negative is attracted to the positive at the same rate as the positive is repelled from the negative, so they just go accelerating off into space together, forever, with no energy input. But it doesn't violate any conservation laws since the net momentum of the system is still zero, because half of it is negative).

And supposedly, negative matter and normal matter would annihilate each other if they came into contact, but unlike an antimatter reaction, it wouldn't release any energy, they'd just "nullify" each other and vanish. Trying to figure out what would happen if normal matter met negative antimatter (or normal antimatter met negative matter) makes me want to take a huge bong rip of mushroom spores.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_mass

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Powered Descent posted:

the negative is attracted to the positive at the same rate as the positive is repelled from the negative, so they just go accelerating off into space together, forever, with no energy input.

Please stop posting about my dating life.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bruceski posted:

As I understand it, traveling faster than light relative to the immediately surrounding space results in causality issues because time and space are linked and stuff gets weird. But taking a geometric shortcut while light takes the long way round is fine. Space is a twisty mountain road and warp drives go as the crow flies.

Tactical FTL gets really fun. Klingon prison ship is just puttering along at way less than lightspeed. The Discovery has been snooping around and they have good observations on the prison ship from oh, a light minute out. They spend 49 seconds observing and then activate the spore drive and jump to 10 light seconds away and launch photon torpedoes. Let's say photon torpedoes travel at light speed, they'll impact in 10 seconds. The Discovery jumps again, this time to 5 light seconds away and cuts loose with her phasers. Again, call them lightspeed weapons. This takes 5 seconds. The Discovery jumps away to safety.

The prison ship, out of nowhere, is hit by photon torpedoes from one direction and phasers from another. A second later, she gets her first glimpse of the Discovery a light minute out, preparing an attack run.

You can do this with warp drive too, that's the Picard Maneuver.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

To be fair we can do stuff like that without going faster than the speed of light. We have fast firing mobile artillery that can fire off a salvo at different angles so the shells all hit at the same time, and be re-located to a new location and set up for firing before the enemy can figure where the shots came from and fire counter-batteries.

Hell good longbowmen could have a few vollies of arrows in the air at different angles to all hit in one huge wave from different angles making it harder to defend against.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I always figured their active sensors were FTL

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

mllaneza posted:

Tactical FTL gets really fun. Klingon prison ship is just puttering along at way less than lightspeed. The Discovery has been snooping around and they have good observations on the prison ship from oh, a light minute out. They spend 49 seconds observing and then activate the spore drive and jump to 10 light seconds away and launch photon torpedoes. Let's say photon torpedoes travel at light speed, they'll impact in 10 seconds. The Discovery jumps again, this time to 5 light seconds away and cuts loose with her phasers. Again, call them lightspeed weapons. This takes 5 seconds. The Discovery jumps away to safety.

The prison ship, out of nowhere, is hit by photon torpedoes from one direction and phasers from another. A second later, she gets her first glimpse of the Discovery a light minute out, preparing an attack run.

You can do this with warp drive too, that's the Picard Maneuver.

This only works if they're just looking out the window. Star Trek sensors are FTL, they can see things in real time in whole other star systems.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Why do we have to explain how FTL works when it's been explained with a paper and a pen so many times?
(Yes I know these are wormholes and not warp drives but it still could be done the same way.)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 20, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Please let there be a hell dimension episode on either this show or Discovery.

Liberate tutemet ex inferis.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Did you do a little too much LDS at Berkeley? :xd:

This is way late, but you usually do too much LDS at BYU.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Beachcomber posted:

Trap sprung, I guess, but tribbles shriek in the presence of Klingons.

Ah, you speak of the Tribble Rallying Shriek. If you had heard the Battle Purr, or indeed what some term the Murder Burble, your remaining lifetime would have been too brief to disseminate news of your encounter.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Yaws posted:

This show sucks.

Actually, it's good.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yaws posted:

This show sucks.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

FELD1 posted:

This is way late, but you usually do too much LDS at BYU.

Get a load of these guys here who haven't seen The Voyage Home.

Yaws posted:

This show sucks.

Thank you, notorious bad opinion haver Yaws.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Also I found this today on our breakfast table. Am I living in next week's episode of this show??

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Bruceski posted:

There's this thing people used to do back in the 90s called "having a conversation." It's retro hip now.

I'm a relic of the 90's, like AOL CDs, MC Hammer pants, Star Trek and the Orville

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Get a load of these guys here who haven't seen The Voyage Home.

Well, I appreciated the joke, anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

WampaLord posted:

You haven't met many ER doctors, have you?

This one was pretty good.

Gonz posted:

Please let there be a hell dimension episode on either this show or Discovery.

Liberate tutemet ex inferis.

Captain Lorca gets strange and horrifying flashbacks from a past life.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

The_Doctor posted:

This one was pretty good.

Captain Lorca gets strange and horrifying flashbacks from a past life.

Remember when Romano caught him smoking weed and before he could do anything about it a helicopter landed on him?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

TheScott2K posted:

Remember when Romano caught him smoking weed and before he could do anything about it a helicopter landed on him?

I don't know if you're talking The Orville or ER. Both seem plausible.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
drat look at Kelly towering over everyone. I'm so jelly.
I like this show. I freely admit I abhor family guy, American dad, all that cartoon arseholish stuff and it did put me off Orville. But hey, it's great.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Now hold on! Family Guy. And American Dad should never be in the same sentence. Whoever is in charge of AD is an artist.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

tessiebee posted:

drat look at Kelly towering over everyone. I'm so jelly.
I like this show. I freely admit I abhor family guy, American dad, all that cartoon arseholish stuff and it did put me off Orville. But hey, it's great.

Yeah I don't have a high opinion of MacFarlane's comedic talents but the Orville is just plain old silly space adventure fun and it works. It's not the Sistine chapel but then neither is Star Trek.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Now hold on! Family Guy. And American Dad should never be in the same sentence. Whoever is in charge of AD is an artist.

Seth McFarlane is.

Family guy has been bad for a long time because Seth doesn't want to do it and has wanted the show to just die for years. All the writers from the first few seasons of Family Guy left to do American Dad when that show came out.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Seth McFarlane is.

Family guy has been bad for a long time because Seth doesn't want to do it and has wanted the show to just die for years. All the writers from the first few seasons of Family Guy left to do American Dad when that show came out.

Its like how the Simpsons died when everyone talented went to go write Futurama. We are on zombie Family Guy now.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Whew, I wasn't gonna speak up but I'm glad to see folks in here making the very correct statement that American Dad ended up being an actually-good show... though I haven't seen the past 4 seasons so I don't know how well it's held up.

Has it held up?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

DaveKap posted:

Whew, I wasn't gonna speak up but I'm glad to see folks in here making the very correct statement that American Dad ended up being an actually-good show... though I haven't seen the past 4 seasons so I don't know how well it's held up.

Has it held up?

I kinda feel that when it went to TBS it had a “we are an edgy adult cartoon” vibe, but that seems to be cooling off a little.

American Dad’s greatest sin is that it is no longer on Netflix. My wife and I used to put on an episode or two while we were drifting off to sleep :/

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 20, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I kinda feel that when it went to TBS it had a “we are an edgy adult cartoon” vibe, but that seems to be cooling off a little.

American Dad’s greatest sin is that it is no longer on Netflix. My wife and I used to put on an episode or two while we were drifting off to sleep :/

That's not American Dad, that's Fox/TBS and/or Netflix. Netflix is hemorrhaging licensed content.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That's not American Dad, that's Fox/TBS and/or Netflix. Netflix is hemorrhaging licensed content.

Oh yeah, I get it - I am just venting. This is my Seth Macfarlane safe space!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

loving tell me about it.