Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can’t wait for function bar on my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

the thin keyboard problem is made worse on the 2016 MacBook because of the clamshell design which lets dust get into the machine even when fully closed...

Also the Apple TV YouTube app doesn’t have any options lol, like literally you can’t like/subscribe/add videos to your account. extremely poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Xaris posted:

who even wants an apple watch anyways

seems like a really stupid product. wearable technology always bombs

you mean literally the largest watch company in the world by revenue, Apple Inc, and their stupid product that makes more money than companies that sell watches that cost more than a car? I wish I could bomb like that.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how are they by market share? or units sold?

not smartwatches, just watches in general

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
are you counting total revenue or just revenue from selling apple watch?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

are you counting total revenue or just revenue from selling apple watch?

just the Apple Watch by itself overtook Rolex this year to become the number one watch maker in the world by revenue.

how are they by market share? or units sold?

not smartwatches, just watches in general

who cares?
apple is the most profitable PC maker by far, despite only selling a fraction of world wide sales
apple is the most profitable phone maker by far, despite only selling a fraction of world wide sales
apple is the most profitable tablet maker by far, ...
apple is the most profitable wearable/smartwatch maker by far, ...

Rolex and the other Swiss brands may be more profitable. they definitely don’t sell as many units as Apple does. but Apple doesn’t sell anywhere near the number of Casio terrorist watches that are sold worldwide.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

when did they release the apple watch sales numbers? i missed that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

when did they release the apple watch sales numbers? i missed that

quote:

During Apple’s recent iPhone X keynote, CEO Tim Cook noted that Apple Watch has overtaken Rolex to become the biggest watchmaker in the world, although the company still refuses to reveal any actual sales numbers.

According to analysts at Asymco analyst Horace Dediu, Apple has likely sold around 15 million Watches in the past 12 months at an average price of around $330. Rolex, meanwhile, produces around 1 million watches a year, with average cost per watch being in the region of $4,700. Added up, that makes the Apple Watch revenue run rate $4.9 billion, compared to Rolex’s $4.7 billion.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hanging out for bluetooth cockring

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Management posted:

just the Apple Watch by itself overtook Rolex this year to become the number one watch maker in the world by revenue.

who cares?
apple is the most profitable PC maker by far, despite only selling a fraction of world wide sales
apple is the most profitable phone maker by far, despite only selling a fraction of world wide sales

Rolex and the other Swiss brands may be more profitable. they definitely don’t sell as many units as Apple does. but Apple doesn’t sell anywhere near the number of Casio terrorist watches that are sold worldwide.

if analysts are to be believe (i know), apple has a strong majority share of the smartwatch segment, and the largest share of the wearable segment as a whole (though nowhere a majority). as it turns out, no one actually wants android watches

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

who cares?

casio terrorist watch?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also i wouldn't mind apple if i had other apple devices; just without the lte gimmick maybe until they fix it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

casio terrorist watch?

also, lol @ we're the most successful watchmaker in the world, so much so that if we released our sales figures we think it will tank our stock

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

any estimates on their actual profit per watch?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

$84 for hardware of og 38mm watch

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

very hard to estimate the bill of materials on such custom hardware, but Apple usually shoots for 35-40% gross margin.

Endless Mike posted:

if analysts are to be believe (i know), apple has a strong majority share of the smartwatch segment, and the largest share of the wearable segment as a whole (though nowhere a majority). as it turns out, no one actually wants android watches

google pretty much gave up on android wear.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, it's good to see that apple has carved out another niche in moderately priced watches that are bad at being watches. watch this space

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

remember android tablets lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have one

i tried to use t to browse the network and play songs. a simple task but OMG every step was a night mare

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
topping a luxury watch brand by n+1 units sold isn't a particularly huge accomplishment when they don't sell a whole lot of watches these days thanks to china cracking down on bribery

the real story for the iwatch is that someone discovered a use case for it and that use case is cheating in baseball

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
taking the obvious stymie bait

quote:

Apple sold 15 million Watches in the past 12 months
Rolex produces 1 million watches a year

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i trust these unsourced numbers implicitly

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
stynie sucks

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
apple watch is approaching 10 million sold, just like xbox one

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

the thin keyboard problem is made worse on the 2016 MacBook because of the clamshell design which lets dust get into the machine even when fully closed

There’s a rubber gasket surrounding the bezel

At least there is on mine

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I really dislike Tim's weird inclination to call products as if by first name

"I love iPhone, it's really cool hanging out with iPad"

It's AN iPhone Tim, it's a loving iPad

Hand me THE iPad goddamn it Tim you weirdo

This has been a thing since at least the original iPhone announcement. It's a really strange choice. I'm sure there are pages and pages of rationale for it somewhere.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It's like they want it to be a pronoun.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Millstone posted:

rubber gasket? i hardly knew her!

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

well why not posted:

It's like they want it to be a pronoun.

my pronouns are iphone/ipad

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

mine are 'XServe' and 'Cinema Display'

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Doom Mathematic posted:

This has been a thing since at least the original iPhone announcement. It's a really strange choice. I'm sure there are pages and pages of rationale for it somewhere.

it's been a thing since the mac was introduced in 1984 you noobs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B-XwPjn9YY&t=23s

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

pram posted:

why cant there be a touchbar and function buttons hmm? steve?

they'll put it in next year and then brag about the ~courage~ it took to reverse a dumb poo poo design decision

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Millstone posted:

At least there is on mine

theyve done this for a while, too, though if dirt is in there it certainly isnt getting out until you open it again

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Doom Mathematic posted:

have a hot take https://www.theverge.com/2016/4/30/11541268/apple-grammar-is-weird

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
macsbooks pros

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Microsoft: "take Surface with you wherever you go! Surface loves car rides and going to the beach! Surface is a good boy!"

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

the sheer amount of sentences in apple copy that start with 'And' is getting a bit comical too tbf

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

when you come into an Apple Fruit Stand, instead of sitting in a chair like normal people, we want you to sit on these giant wooden marbles and get roids lol

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I think you mean Apple Town Square

:smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

this should be changed to :apple: