Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

lohli posted:

What are you resizing in?

The text looks off, like it's not resampling stuff so you get an uneven squishing/distortion of letters.

Right now I'm using this bulk resizer. Imgur seemed to give the same results. What would you recommend instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Irfanview

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's the same image cropped and resized to 1280x720 with Irfanview:

Also, here's a regular full screen image (which I need to leave uncropped) resized to the same size:

Do these look workable?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It works, but it's not ideal.

Is there any way you can play the game at a lower resolution and screencap from that? Ideally the size you'll actually post the images at.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

vilkacis posted:

It works, but it's not ideal.

Is there any way you can play the game at a lower resolution and screencap from that? Ideally the size you'll actually post the images at.

I'll take a look. It's a 10-year-old Russian game so it's going to inherently look pretty wonky.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's screenshots directly from running the game at 1024x768:

I do have x2 anti-aliasing running in this.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 19, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
That looks a lot better. I think that's fine for the forums.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That looks a lot better. I think that's fine for the forums.

Thanks! It's a bit annoying to look at on the screen but it might be good enough to run.

I'll get some more screenshots to replace the old ones and I think I can get this started!

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Why does this loving forum have so many stickies? Jesus christ.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 20, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ugh its Troika posted:

To cut down on useful threads being lost in the clutter. It'll be less chaotic when there aren't so many forum announcements taking up the top slots.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i cant wait for April--i'm going to sticky a whole page worth of threads again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ugh its Troika posted:

We’re trying to show off as many different thread tags per page as we can. It’s an art piece.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ugh its Troika posted:

It’s our threat level indicator. Currently we’re at: Concerned.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ugh its Troika posted:

Thy keep the forum up. They’re like duct tape.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ugh its Troika posted:

I had a good one, but I lost it. gently caress

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I have hundreds of photos on my phone.

Who wants to watch me build an irresponsibly large Lego set piece by piece in a place I probably shouldn't build it?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

A.o.D. posted:

I have hundreds of photos on my phone.

Who wants to watch me build an irresponsibly large Lego set piece by piece in a place I probably shouldn't build it?

Post a new thread for every update then sticky every thread then challenge the entire subforum to bump the threads in the exact order it takes to assemble the set.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I like it!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Din't we used to have a cyoa tag? What happened to it?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

nine-gear crow posted:

I had a good one, but I lost it. gently caress

Should've stickied it!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Xander77 posted:

Din't we used to have a cyoa tag? What happened to it?

i dont remember--you sure it was LP? the other game forums definitely have tags we dont. i know ive coveted Imp Zone's tags for some time...

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of tags - how do you get a different sub-forum's tag onto your thread, again? I would've liked the very topical tag on my thread, but for some reason it's part of the anime forum???

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
start the thread in the other forum then ask a mod to move it here

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Or have a mod on this subforum move it to another subforum, have a mod there change the tag and punt it back over here.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What's much more likely to happen is you ask a mod (literally any mod, but probably an LP mod) and we'll go and poke an admin to do it.

This is such a well made forum.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i mean, that's basically what we're here for

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I thought we were here to ban idiots and look cool?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The problem is all the idiots post in GBS, and you're modding a forum based on playing video games for people on the internet, so what else can you really do?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:confused:

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Quick question regarding Zarx264: basically, when I run a video through it to convert it to .mp4, I get this odd issue where any sort of still-frame in the video is instead a still frame of the next frame after the one that's supposed to be shown. Anybody who uses that know why that's going on?

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
This is my first LP ever, so any feedback would be appreciated. Right now post-length is what I'm most worried about, I'm finding it pretty hard to find the right balance of content vs overloading people's bandwith.

'Tis the season to be spooky, so let's play some Costume Quest.

Costume Quest is a Double Fine game released in 2010, and like most Double Fine games, it's a charming, quirky
little thing that mixes the mundane and fantastical. In this case, you're a child out trick or treating when
monsters inivade to steal all your candy, oh no! Luckily you have the power of cardboard and magic on your
side, and so the battle to save halloween begins.

This will be a screenshot LP, there's no voiced dialogue, and a very limited soundtrack. The main focus
is the writing, so that will also be the main focus of the LP, there are cute animations, and a very
inventive art style, which I will do my best to show-off, but I'd also encourage buying the game. It's
currently 69p/.99c on steam, and has an 360, ps3, and even an ios version.

Update schedule will vary, I unfortunately have a busy job and work odd hours, but I will aim for at
least one update per week, and for the Halloween period I'll try and make it a bit more often.

No spoilers please, including gameplay spoilers.

Part One
Part Two
Part Three

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think you could combine the first two updates and get something that's not too long. Otherwise it looks fine.

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013
Thanks, they were originally together, guess I should have stuck with my gut.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Looks great to me. You could probably fit some more screenshots in each update so you don't have to type too much out, but that's the only thing I noticed, and it's really a style decision. (Also you spelled "invade" wrong in the OP, but that's like a two second fix.)

I'd go ahead and :justpost:, good luck.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I have no idea how to present an interactive fiction game so I'm shooting to make it as readable as possible, editing the game text and player input together in a way that reads smoothly. This isn't a full content post just an example of the style I'm going for. If anyone has suggestions for a better way I'm all ears.

Anchorhead test post

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

al-azad posted:

I have no idea how to present an interactive fiction game so I'm shooting to make it as readable as possible, editing the game text and player input together in a way that reads smoothly. This isn't a full content post just an example of the style I'm going for. If anyone has suggestions for a better way I'm all ears.

It's pretty typical for this type of game to let the thread choose what to do, and essentially take the role of providing hints when the audience is collectively stuck and commentary when appropriate. It's a neat way to do things, because other people will generally find things you didn't know about, and if you know the game inside and out, you can keep backup saves when an irrevocable error is made, so you can steer things back to the right path when everyone's had a chance to see why they messed up. (I once had two parallel game saves going, one where I hadn't made the wrong choice, so I could just switch to that one when it became clear why the situation was hopeless at the end of the game.) The presentation works well and would still function in the interactive style.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Nidoking posted:

It's pretty typical for this type of game to let the thread choose what to do, and essentially take the role of providing hints when the audience is collectively stuck and commentary when appropriate. It's a neat way to do things, because other people will generally find things you didn't know about, and if you know the game inside and out, you can keep backup saves when an irrevocable error is made, so you can steer things back to the right path when everyone's had a chance to see why they messed up. (I once had two parallel game saves going, one where I hadn't made the wrong choice, so I could just switch to that one when it became clear why the situation was hopeless at the end of the game.) The presentation works well and would still function in the interactive style.

Are there notable examples? The problem here is that unlike most IF this is a very narrative driven experience yet it's pretty non-linear which can kill the pacing of a horror game.

Graylien
Aug 12, 2013

al-azad posted:

Are there notable examples? The problem here is that unlike most IF this is a very narrative driven experience yet it's pretty non-linear which can kill the pacing of a horror game.

The Give Yourself Goosebumps thread is one that's live right now. It's literally a cyoa book though rather than IF, but the thread interaction seems like it would be similar.

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek
I'm planning to LP the new remastered Hack GU collection, anyone else is already in the process of doing this? Anyone planning to do it? Also I don't know how it will work, but it'd be great to collab with someone who has pretty good knowledge/knows the lore and history or played most of the old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Skypizza posted:

I'm planning to LP the new remastered Hack GU collection, anyone else is already in the process of doing this? Anyone planning to do it? Also I don't know how it will work, but it'd be great to collab with someone who has pretty good knowledge/knows the lore and history or played most of the old games.

I think you may be looking for this thread.